Start by marking “Ancient Ones (Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed #3)” as Want to Read:
Ancient Ones (Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed #3)

Ancient Ones (Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed #3)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  310 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
From Kirk Mitchell comes a riveting suspense thriller in the tradition of Tony Hillerman and Joseph Wambaugh, featuring Bureau of Indian Affairs Criminal Investigator Emmett Quanah Parker and FBI Special Agent Anna Turnipseed, two Native American cops searching for justice between their heritage and the law.

Though there are signs of foul play, Emmett Quanah Parker and Anna
Hardcover, Large Print, 576 pages
Published April 6th 2004 by Random House (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Ones

Pauline
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Nicely written modern day murder mystery based on archaeological debates of today. Two American Indian law enforcement officers accidently get snared into an archaeological debate over a set of ancient bones found by a Basque shephard in Washington State. As the debate as to whether to investigate the bones further or turn them over to a local tribe for reburial brews, murders of people associated with the find begin to spin a complicated web of investigation for the two officers.

The book was in
Elizabeth
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've just discovered Kirk Mitchell and got hooked on his two law enforcement characters.

I like that the murders, which are creepy and macabre, take place on different reservations and that the main characters themselves are from different tribes.

This novel in particular was my favorite. Again, maybe the setting and blend of supernatural and spiritual beliefs. Also, leaves some incidents ambiguous enough that there could have been supernatural forces at work, but not conclusively.
Sarahandus
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: junk
When a book starts out in a psychologist's office talking about the clients sex life, it's not on my "to read" list. I would throw it across the room except that I respect books too much.
A second attempt starting later in the book took me to scientists squabbling.
This isn't anything like Tony Hillerman to me.
Steve Payne
My least favorite in the series so far. Too much about the sexual tension between the two leads. The story line is too far-fetched. The climax is too climatic.
Rusty
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Bureau of Indian Affairs Criminal investigator Emmett Quanah Parker and FBI Speical Agent Anna Turnipseed are the key characters in this story. Their task is to protect an ancient skeleton found after a flood. A renouned scientist insists that it is a white man who existed 14,000 years ago. Furthermore, he is certain that the man was eaten by the native people who lived at that time. How did this man get into this region? No one knows and those who believe they have the answers argue about not o ...more
Latique
It's a 385 page book...and by 165 pages I was wondering why everything was dragging along. The plot as it is described on the back of the book sounds like just another unidentified skeleton/murder story, but it does get fairly complicated after the initial pile of bones. Readers get glimpses into the main characters lives, including the scars and faults, and does a good job of showing the cohesion of strength and vulnerability that can be inside a person. There are many different types of charac ...more
Doris
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The detective team of Turnipseed and Parker work together to keep politicos happy as this story kicks off with a quandary of what to do with ancient bones accidentally unearthed during a flood. A picker finds them, and takes them to a professor who pays him a fee. From there, the story gets quirky as the bones are not Indian but white, and not modern, but ancient.

Several teams want the bones returned to the earth, others want to use them as a crowbar to force the Indians to move yet again, and
Jolie
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read that some have found the book lacking in certain areas and feel that it doesn't match up to being compared to Tony Hillerman. I'm a big fan of HIllerman, and I think that of course this has the Native American investigators in common with HIllerman's books and the settings on native lands, but Mitchell's stories also involve some very modern angles that I suppose are a matter of taste (many did not like the romantic/sexual dysfunction subplot, but I found it ...more
Ron
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: large-print-read
I liked the plot of this book, but, just couldn't connect with the characters. Neither Parker or Turnipseed were characters that I cared about. Not sure just what it was, but, really didn't care much what happened to them. Within the plot, I liked that they "solved" it, but, not much more for me in those characters. And, since I prefer character driven books, I'm doubting that I'll ever return to Mitchell's books. In particular, not any using Parker and/or Turnipseed. Although, as I say, the plo ...more
Beth
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite what the book jacket says, Tony Hillerman (may he rest in peace) has nothing to fear. Although Ancient Ones is a pleasant read, it is a smaller, lesser cousin to Hillerman's stories.

The book follows two Native American cops, Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed, as they try to balance the desires of both crazy scientists and native people concerning remains dug out of a riverbank, all the while people are dying or vanishing.
Tom Gorski
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great "who done it" with fascinating insight into a variety of First Nation (in particular Commanche, Medoc, Paiute and Wasco) history, spirituality and practices (this time the crime takes place on a reservation in Oregon that I'd driven through some years back so I could picture the scenes in the novel). The personal story between the two primary protangonists is also well done.
Jeff Dickison
I really like this series, but I did not care for this book. In the first place, the story is too complicated and too mystical. Secondly, the subplot concerning Emmett & Anna's inability to establish intimacy was just annoying and read like something out of a Tami Hoag novel. If I wanted Tami Hoag I would buy Tami Hoag. I'm hoping this is just a blip.
Amanda Otis
A spellbinding read. It took a few chapters to really get into reading it, but after that it had me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't put it down, so I spent nearly half a day finishing the latter half of the book. Mitchell knows how to draw you in and adds a just enough of the supernatural to send shivers down your spine.
Cyn
Aug 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

This was my first Kirk Mitchell book, and I found out it was (IIRC), the third novel in the Parker/Turnipseed series. So now I want to go back and check out the first two.

I knocked off a half star only because I didn't totally connect with the characters, but that might have more to do with the fact that I jumped into this series halfway through.
Beth Lee
This was an ok book. I had hoped for more archaeology, less personal aspect. To be fair this is the 3rd book in the series but the first book I read. So, I found I just really didn't care about the characters personal relationship. In fact, I was hoping they would break up. So not a bad mystery but it would have been better without the love story thrown in,
Edna Little Fish In Running Waters Spring
Jan 10, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in Native American Culture and Mysteries
Recommended to Edna Little Fish by: Found it on my own.
This is the first book that i read by Kirk Mitchell and will NOT be my last.
I learned alot about the Reservations in Oregon and Washington that I had no idea about.
This book was so exciting that I couldn't put it down.
Glenda
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written mystery set in my home state of Oregon. It includes interesting Native American myths and the action is continuous. A few scenes were a bit more graphic than I like but in other areas the author uses good sense.
Pa
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in native American detective stories
A decent tale of mystery based around the discovery of about a 14,000 year old skeleton. Was it American Indian or Caucasian? The main investigators are American Indian by heritage. An exciting story, but some aspects are just too far-fetched, even though they are 'explained' in the end.
Arizonagirl
Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed series, book #3. An illegal fossil hunter finds a skeleton that the scientists are insisting is 14,000 years old and represents the first human on the continent--except the skeleton is caucasoid. Emmett and Anna are dealing with relationship issues.
Carmen Tafolla
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually read detective novels or mystery novels because I tire of "formula" predictability, but this book was a delight to read, and delicious from beginning to end. Culturally rich, unusual concepts, and respect for the spirit of the Southwest, it never grew predictable or boring.
Jeannine Martin
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and engaging.
Sue
First read of this author for me. I'll definitely try another one. I liked the characters. It got a little gruesome and hopefully the others won't be as bad.
Syd Harper
I think the series is good, but the heroine is a wimp. And I can not stand women who live in the past and cant get over what happened to them long ago
Tommy Belt
Oct 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great read!!!
Carolgene
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Weird, gruesome, a tad far fetched and extremely satisfying.
L.B.
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for Native American mysteries.
Tomi
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A little slow - had to make myself finish it.
Little Fish
Aug 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely one of my favorite Books
RS Fuster
I enjoyed most of this book but some of the plot twist were just to much for me. It's the nature of the major character development and relationship that caught my interest most.
Jo-Ann Murphy
It held my interest but the plot was a bit gory and hard to take.
  • The Girl With Braided Hair (Wind River Reservation, #13)
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Second Sunrise (Lee Nez, #1)
  • The Fallen Man (Leaphorn & Chee, #12)
Kirk Mitchell is an author who is known for his time travel, alternate history, historical fiction, and adventure fiction novels. Mitchell has also created several novelizations of movies.He writes under the pseudonym of Joel Norst

Kirk Mitchell served as a deputy sheriff on the Paiute- Shoshone Indian reservations of the desert country that includes Death Valley, and was a SWAT sergeant in souther
More about Kirk Mitchell...

Emmett Parker and Anna Turnipseed (5 books)
  • Cry Dance