Start by marking “Well, That Was Awkward” as Want to Read:
Well, That Was Awkward

Well, That Was Awkward

Gracie has never felt like this before. One day, she suddenly can't breathe, can't walk, can't anything and the reason is standing right there in front of her, all tall and weirdly good-looking: A.J.
It turns out A.J. likes not Gracie but Gracie's beautiful best friend, Sienna. Obviously Gracie is happy for Sienna. Super happy! She helps Sienna compose the best texts, res
Published February 28th 2017 by Viking Books for Young Readers

Meg Cabot
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Rachel Vail's characters, adults and children alike, never fail to come alive on the page. And the tiny little age-appropriate romance made me so happy!
Nomes
Well, That Was Awesome!

Hello, new favourite book :)

Well, That Was Awkward is one brilliantly funny, very clever, unputdownable, grin-worthy absolute blast of a book. Oh my gosh, I loved it so.

Well, That Was Awkward is a charming loose retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac ~ always a fun premise to remake for teens of today ~ who are texting and emoji-ing all over the place. It's a real feel-good story with delicious puns, quick witted humour, a tortoise (and a rabbit), a suddenly cute boy, best frien
Amanda
THE BEST. I laughed, I cried, I want a sequel. Ruby Oliver fans will love this.
Vikki VanSickle
What a delightful reading experience this was! The voice is pitch-perfect, as are the ever-shifting loyalties and relationships of the characters. Vail is skilled at mining the adolescent experience in a cringe-worthy, aw-honey kind of way, but never, ever talks down to her audience. The NYC setting, cast of characters and relationships made me think of Goodbye Stranger, but with a heavier dose of comedy. Like Stead, Vail showcases city kids who aren't the children of upper crust Manhattan socie ...more
Dove
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Omg omg omg omg that was the cutest book I have ever read in such a long time. It was so freaking cute. I'm actually speechless. I want more. I wish the book didn't end as quickly as it did. I wish there was a second book!!!! I usually don't read middle school books because I'm so much older but I really enjoyed this one because it reminded me of the awkwardness and weirdness of middle school. It reminded me of all the problems in middle school and all the drama. It was so realistic, like all th ...more
Olivia S
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I think that a possible theme could be to support others even if it means that you won't get what you want. This book shows how hard middle school can be, and how much drama takes place. Also, even though Sienna and Gracie are good friends, Sienna gets the guy that Gracie likes but Gracie still helps Sienna out. Even though Gracie is going through a lot, she tries to act like she isn't.
Heidi
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-favorites
Well, that was adorable. Funny, so relatable, and heartwarming. I can't wait to give this to some of my middle schoolers. I want to see more of these characters!
Vanessa
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rachel Vail writes some good characters! This could have been a cute, Cyrano de Bergerac type middle grade romance, and it would have still been good! But Vail added a layer of depth: Gracie and her parents are still dealing with the unexpected death of a child, years before Gracie was born. This adds interesting interactions between Gracie and her parents, as well as Gracie and her peers. The story arc was somewhat predictable, but that didn’t make this any less of a sweet, enjoyable read.
Trisha
Great story of friendship, family and first love.

Karen
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet junior high story about friends, friendship, pre-dating, bullying, belonging, family, and loss. Vail is quite the wordsmith, and she is adept at teen-talk, including texting between characters. Think of this as at the early end of Jennifer E. Smith books--same audience, just months before. Now I need to read Unfriended!
Amy
Jan 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dr-11-2016
A portrayal of romantic life that’s appropriate for upper elementary readers narrated by a voicey, nerdy main character who is a little too quick-witted to be realistic.

Gracie likes AJ.
AJ likes Gracie’s best friend, Sienna.
Shy Sienna isn’t sure how to respond, so Gracie writes Sienna’s texts to AJ.

I appreciated that this book had a premise that was appropriate, realistic, and appealing to both elementary and middle school students -- first crushes, first kisses, puppy love, and a lot of awkward
Destinee Sutton
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I do so enjoy a smart love story. This ranks right up there with my faves. It's lighter than Eleanor & Park, but just as swoony. It's as sweet and funny as Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but unlike with Simon, there's really no surprise as to who Gracie is meant to fall in love with. And that's okay. Gracie's clever, somewhat manic internal monologue is endearing and pulled me through the story even though I knew pretty much all along what the payoff would be.

This is a feel-good story w
Diane
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lone-star-2018
I love this book for middle school and up. Lighthearted but deals with some tougher topics in Gracie's life. I enjoyed reading it!
Jen Bojkov
Yet another really good read from the 2018-2019 Lone Star list. This is #6 or 7 for me to read and so far, I have not been disappointed. I would call this one like John Green or Sarah Dessen for middle grade readers. It was sweet, funny, angsty, and ultimately hopeful. I really liked it.
Isabella G
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was very well written. It showed the real humor and struggles of the middle school experience. There were a lot of relatable moments and it showed its ok to feel. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves realistic fiction.
Shortcake
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
AW <3

EMMETT I LOVE YOU
Kyla
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pitch-perfect Middle School/MG read. Characters with depth and interests outside of the plot, a sweet romance, romantic entanglements without tons of physical stuff - lovely. Hard to do!
Rustin Verret
Gracie likes AJ. At least she thinks she does. The problem is that Riley also likes AJ. Meanwhile, AJ likes Gracie's best friend, Sienna. It's all a big awkward mess. Gracie, AJ, Sienna, and Emmet have always been best friends, but one day things change. AJ and Sienna start dating. Now with the whole support of the "Loud Crowd" behind them. Gracie has to figure out her feelings fast, or things will end in disaster. Does she like AJ and tries to hide her feelings from Sienna? Or does she like Emm ...more
Bethanee Velazquez
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
4.5 stars!

Well, That Was Awkwardof a diverse group of middle schoolers embarking on their journey to high school. Gracie Grant, a tall eighth grader who has a prominent nose and hails from New York City, takes the lead as our Cyrano figure. She is bubbly, plucky, and optimistic. Gracie's best friend, Sienna Reyes, needs help texting the boy who likes her, the handsome AJ Rojanasopondist. Though nursing a broken heart, Gracie puts aside her feelings and is completely there for her best friend. T
Katherina
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My roommate walked in one night and said she was surprised I was up so late when I had class the next morning. I just groaned and said that this book was about middle schoolers and wasn't supposed to be so interesting! But this book was surprisingly captivating! I picked it up at the library to read while I waited for the book I actually wanted to come in. And it was just so adorable! It was sweet and funny and yes, even relatable! It made me glad to be past the awkward middle school years, and ...more
Erin Brandt
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well...That Was Awkward by Rachel Vail was one of the best books I've read so far. I would say that this book would capture the attention of mostly teenage girls. The main character is Grace. Grace is a highschool student who makes friends wherever she goes but has a family loss that is getting harder to avoid. She has 3 friends that always have her back. But since they are older and are becoming teenagers, drama starts unfolding between crushes, school, and the school bully.

I rated this 5 stars
Richa
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The theme of this book is that friends will always have your back. Gracie's friends have always supported her in every way like once when she lost her turtle her friends all came and helped her look for it. Gracie also helped her friends out. One of Gracie's best friend Sienna is dating this kid named AJ but Gracie also likes AJ. Regardless Gracie still helps Sienna out in every way she can whether it was setting up a date or just texting him. This goes to show that friends will always have your ...more
Amy Bearce
It can be hard to find books that really fit kids in middle school (MG books often seem too young for them and some YA choices are too mature), but this is a great book for 11-14 year olds and up. It's witty and fun. I appreciate that it deals with a common real life experience of early romance during these grades (a sudden crush and the behind-the-scenes negotiations that often ensue) but also has a poignant family story line that was really touching. Nicely done!
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 5-8
This charming update on the Cyrano DE Bergerac tale follows four friends as they navigate all the social awkwardness, uncertainty and butterfly-inducing thrill that accompanies first like. Gracie starts crushing on popular AJ, only to find out he likes her best friend Sienna. Sienna isn't sure how she feels, so when AJ starts texting, Sienna asks Gracie to take over. Over late night text messages Gracie and AJ develop an easy-going banter that is suspiciously lacking in person. Who is really tex ...more
Allison
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ohmyword, I loved this book. LOVED. I read multiple sections to my husband after he caught me repeatedly laughing out loud, and I made a date with my 11-year old to read it together this summer when we do a little pre-middle school road trip. Because Gracie is the kind of friend you want your kid to find.
Lindi
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Charming novel about first crushes, filled with humor, wisdom. and compassion. I laughed out loud several times, and teared up too. In the same vein as Criss Cross, but in modern NYC. One the best takeaways for me? When Emmett replies "show your work" to Gracie's patently untrue, "I'm fine. I'm always fine." Isn't that a lovely way to challenge a friend?
Rekha M
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like realistic fiction with a little bit of romance, this book is for you. I love Rachel Vail's books, and this one was amazing. All I wanted to do was keep reading it. You become very connected to the characters, and its really fun seeing what happens next. I defiantly recommend this book to everyone! Even if it is not your favorite genre.
Chandni
This was a really cute retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac. While Rachel Vail didn't nail the voice of a middle schooler, it was still close enough to be enjoyable and there were a couple of really moving scenes.
Christine Ayala-zierke
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Oh my goodness, I laughed, I cried, I read it aloud to co-workers, I even texted lines to friends because they made me laugh out loud. I will most definitely be recommending this to many of my students and reading Unfriended now - this is the current book to beat for the year!
  • The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora
  • Armstrong & Charlie
  • The Great Greene Heist (The Great Greene Heist, #1)
  • Waylon! One Awesome Thing (Waylon! Book 1)
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • Braced
  • Goodbye Stranger
  • The First Rule of Punk
  • Big & Little Questions (According to Wren Jo Byrd)
  • Garvey's Choice
  • Blooming at the Texas Sunrise Motel
  • Train I Ride
  • Stargazing For Beginners
  • The Best Man
  • Dara Palmer's Major Drama
  • Posted
  • Just My Luck
  • Binny for Short (Binny, #1)
Birth
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Interests
Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
“Just for taste bites of sample bagels have - fun fact - between zero and "screw you" calories” 1 likes