Start by marking “Things That Never Happen” as Want to Read:
Things That Never Happen

Things That Never Happen

'Like all good literature, Harrison's stories are worth reading again and again; the more you read, the more you understand.' Iain M. Banks.

Over the last thirty years, M. John Harrison has been inspiring readers and writers alike across the world. His return to science fiction in 2002 with the magnificent space opera LIGHT was a monumental triumph, shortlisted for every ma
Published March 10th 2005 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Things That Never Happen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things That Never Happen

Ronald
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A member of a science fiction/fantasy discussion group suggested this book to me.

Two stories I consider outstanding:

"Eganro" I mentioned this story before on goodreads. The narrator observes his employer descend into delusion due to the influence of a book.

"Running Down" In this story, the narrator observes a man who causes an increase of entropy around him--things break down, he is accident prone, even the earth shook.

Other stories I though highly of: "The Gift" is another story about an imag
Adam
Kitchen sink gothic horror magical surrealism but very English...only Ligotti and Borges are worthwhile comparisons for these beautiful tales..also of note this is some of the best prose being written anywheres...
Shaun Pimlott
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A stunning collection of short stories, gathered from 1975 - 1999. These are character driven stories, with elements of science fiction or fantasy positioned evocatively in the background. Harrison is a realist with elegant and precise prose. His main focus is on the minutiae of reality, the interplay of alienated characters, the ties that bind them, atmospheres, moods, the subtle play of light. His prose builds up an intimate portrait of reality, the physicality of the world.

There are a few tro
Cindy C
Jul 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the book that made me love the short story form. M. John Harrison is brilliant.
David Manns
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Things That Never Happen. It's an apt title for a collection of strange, disturbing, thought-provoking stories. Harrison has long been a favourite author of mine and half of this collection I'd read years ago when it was published as The Ice Monkey. That book is here collected with a later collection (Travel Arrangements) and so we have a set of stories ranging from 1975 right up to 2000.

Harrison's development as a write over this period is palpable. Early stories betray an obsession with insect
Jon
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wow, this was not for me. Fine writing, yes. But that's about it.
zxvasdf
Aug 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Van Vogt, a much celebrated and disputed master of Golden Age SF, wrote a huge body of short stories, many of which have been scaled into novels. He called these "fixups." The stories found in Things that Never Happen, or at least snippets of them have eventually found their way into novels like Climbers, Light, The Course of the Heart, Nova Swing, and even his latest publication, Empty Space (which seems to me to be a nexus of his works, with a little from everything).

You arrive at the narrati
kat
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: goodmanbrown, anyone who liked Light
M. John Harrison's style is somewhat pretentious, but I adore his words. Things That Never Happen is a collection of short stories which have been published elsewhere throughout his career. As such, they are arranged in chronological order, and tend to get more interesting and more sophisticated as the book goes on.

It reads well as a coherent body, though, especially since many of the stories share themes, events, phrases with each other, as well as referencing or prefiguring events and characte
Chip Howell
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Slightly opaque stories that both demand and reward multiple readings: like Harrison's Viriconium stories (and novels) the tales collected here seem to trace their ways around the edges of the lives and events they depict. A Viriconium story actually appears in this collection, in a modified (Non-Viriconium) form: "A Young Man's Journey to London" is essentially "A Young Man's Journey to Viriconium" probably adapted for mainstream (non-sf/fantasy) publication somewhere, or is it the other way ar ...more
Marley
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Starts with a completely amazing China Mieville essay about immanence and transcendence, then the stories themselves start out (chronologically) like clunkier J.G. Ballard with more ripped-off Borges. By the end, though, you're getting glimpses of what might have happened if Dubliners allowed magical realism to seep into its epiphanies just to make the catastrophe ACHE more. (But in Thatcherite England.) Some incredibly powerful sublimity. His idea of women kinda sucks (they'd fit in Fight Club ...more
Donald Armfield
I seen this authors works in the back of a book and thought i would give him a try.

Most of the stories i kinda breezed thru, not really my style but enjoyed a few.

Isobel Avens Returns to Stepney in the Springs: I thought was good, had me laughin @ the end when the lady really took "I want to fly" to the next level.

Empty: This was also good, the author should start a serious with his detective he created.

I gave it 2 stars only because nothing really pulled me in, but im sure others will enjoy hi
Owain Lewis
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting, uncanny and mysterious. Underpinning many of these stories is the theme of desire, of people dreaming of the impossible and what happens to them in their attempts to get what they so badly want. I think what impressed me most is Harrison's ability to ground the bizarre and fantastical in the banalities of everyday experience and the realistic psychological imperatives of his characters, that and his obvious technical prowess and seductive prose. One of Britain's best living writers w ...more
Joy
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good stories, many of which though were reworked as bits in other things like Nova Swing. I never quite know how to feel about that. With Philip K. Dick it heightened the sense of unreality in his work to read the same thing over with slight differences; here it was interesting as a writer to see some of the scaffolding underpinning Harrison's writing process, but if I had read the stories before the novels it would have spoiled some of the magic Nova Swing and Light had for me.
Dave
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection
A powerful collection of beautifully wriiten stories. Harrison has the ability to make the ordinary extraordinary, and vice versa. The horror in the stories is inernalised and that is what makes them so compelling. This is a collection that should maybe not be gulped down in a single sitting, but savoured and enjoyed.
Sazuru
Oct 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Poetic writer who can't quite be called lyrical--like all nerves are open in description and narration. Bleak-ish but not bleak because the fiction is so lush in a sensory way. New discovery for me, and wondering why I didn't run into his work before--another sudden find amongst the library stacks.
Brent
Jan 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What I've read of this book convinces me that M. John Harrison is among the really great short fiction writers. This is the first I've seen of his. I picked it up at the recommendation of a friend. I look forward to reading the "Viriconium" series, which if available in an omnibus edition by Bantam.

Marc
May 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Meh. There is few substance here, mostly vacated chapters from stories already told or partials that will later find their way into more established pieces. Not a disappointment but not an achievement. Only for true fans. The casual may wish to find Harrison elsewhere.
Shelley
YAWN...........A real chore of short stories somewhat interrelated but they never get better or make any sense. Maybe someone smarter than I will be able to figure it out. I wouldn't bother with it.
Bob
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A retrospective collection of short stories from Harrison that shows both continuous development and some common themes and perspectives.
Andrew Hemsley

• Extremities
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • Ana Kai Tangata: Tales of the Outer the Other the Damned and the Doomed
  • Out of the Everywhere, and Other Extraordinary Visions
  • Trial of Flowers  (City #1)
  • Conjunctions #39: The New Wave Fabulists
  • The Heat Death of the Universe and Other Stories
  • The Arabian Nightmare
  • Cold to the Touch
  • Dreams of the Compass Rose
aka Gabriel King (with Jane Johnson)

Michael John Harrison was born in Rugby, Warwickshire in 1945 and now lives in London.
Harrison is stylistically an Imagist and his early work relies heavily on the use of strange juxtapositions characteristic of absurdism.

“Identity is not negotiable. An identity you have achieved by agreement is always a prison.” 21 likes
“Egnaro is a secret known to everyone but yourself.

It is a country or a city to which you have never been; it is an unknown language. At the same time it is like being cuckolded, or plotted against. It is part of the universe of events which will never wholly reveal itself to you: a conspiracy the barest outline of which, once visible, will gall you forever.”
13 likes