Start by marking “Raw Head, Bloody Bones: African-American Tales of the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
Raw Head, Bloody Bones: African-American Tales of the Supernatural

Raw Head, Bloody Bones: African-American Tales of the Supernatural

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
*****Young readers can meet some of the strangest beasts ever in these 15 spine-tingling folktales. A dancing corpse, a talking skull, a witch who sucks blood--these creepy denizens and others reflect the heritage of African oral traditions that has been passed down for generations.
Published September 1st 1995 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Raw Head, Bloody Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raw Head, Bloody Bones

Melki
Beginning in 1619, slave traders brutally captured hundreds of thousands of Africans, brought them to the New World, and sold them into forced labor. For the next 260 years, slaves were bought and sold in the seaports of South America, throughout the Caribbean Islands, and up and down the North American coast.

Everything was stolen from the slaves - their freedom, their families, their names. But no one could steal their memories. They clung to the familiar stories of their homelands and retold t
K.T. Katzmann
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Monster + History fans, Young Monster Addicts
If Zora Neale Hurston wrote Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, it would come out like this.

I had fun delving into this collection of African-American spook stories. The tales themselves are light and varied, rarely more than five or six pages, and each end with an folklorist's note of the origin, cultural importance, and variations of the story. You'll find a lot of variety, from cannibal mermaids to wizards that shift into alligators.

The Scary Stories comparison feels apt to me because this is
Kirsten
A collection of African-American tales, collected from a variety of sources. The stories here are fascinating, and my only disappointment is that they are not as good for reading out loud as I had hoped.
drowningmermaid
A fun, quick read and I learned a bit about African American folklore.
Maggiemyre
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book to add to classroom library
Sue
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimen
Hard to get through the black lingo,
but she does spend time explaining why that is.
Authenticity, I guess.
Molly Wain
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
The short stories were interesting and gave me insight to the African culture. I was hoping to have a little more thrill along with the read.
Montana-IFC
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: banned
School challenge--retained, 1992
Andrea Cardinal
Nov 26, 2017
Heidi Karriker
rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mary E. Lyons, a former teacher and librarian, became a full-time writer in 1993. She is the author of nineteen books for young readers published by Scribner, Atheneum, Henry Holt, Houghton Mifflin and Oxford University Press.

Born and raised in the American South, Mary Lyons lives in Charlottesville, Virginia, with her husband, Paul. Her publications for adults include The Blue Ridge Tunnel: A Re
More about Mary E. Lyons...