Start by marking “Gotham: Dawn of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Gotham: Dawn of Darkness

Gotham: Dawn of Darkness

(Gotham)

A break-in at Wayne Manor. The death of a masked intruder. Amid the seething crime and corruption of Gotham City, Thomas Wayne fights to protect his family and his company from forces unknown. While detective Harvey Bullock investigates the incident as a simple burglary, Wayne discovers that the threat may come from his own dark past.
Peeling back layer upon layer of
Published January 31st 2017 by Titan Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Gotham, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gotham

Start your review of Gotham: Dawn of Darkness
Miriam Smith
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kept-book
I've been an avid fan of Batman now since the early 1970's with the TV series starring Adam West (I'm showing my age here) and absolutely love the more recent fantastic, dark and twisted 'Gotham'. When I found out there was a book "Gotham - Dawn of Darkness" written by Jason Starr and is the official prelude based on this latest TV series then I just had to read it.
As soon as you start reading this straight away you can hear the voices of the fantastic actors in the show - it's impossible not
C.J. Nelson
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all the Easter eggs, nods to the comics, and cameos from the characters on the show. However, I feel like this book would work better purely as a mystery/crime novel set outside the Gotham universe.

The characters were well written and sounded like the would in the show, but some of the dialogue seemed forced and repetitive. Some of the subplots get resolved with little to no consequence to the greater plot of the novel.

With that said, it was a fun read. My first couple sessions I
Karen
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a "Gotham" prequel that takes place before Jim Gordon is assigned to the GCPD, and before Thomas and Martha Wayne are murdered that fateful night that kickstart's Bruce's legacy. It's not the most eloquently-written crime thriller I've ever read (there are a few spelling errors and other typos that SHOULD have been caught by a more careful publisher/proofreader, but then again, I'm a writer and a former English major myself, so I might be a bit more bothered by that than some), but if ...more
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to see a story with Thomas Wayne and Harvey Bullock. Also nice to see Thomas interact with Martha, Bruce, and Alfred. Wonder of Dr. Strange and Pinewood will be revealed. RIP Amanda and Thomas and Martha Wayne.

Can't wait to read more Batman books and Gotham books!!!!
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Dawn of Darkness is a prequel to the Gotham TV show. In layman’s terms a robbery takes place at Wayne Manor and one of the criminals is killed while the other two manage to escape, in their possession is a priceless painting, but did they really mean to steal the painting or was it just an
Kat
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was among the quick fix romances and animal mysteries in the mass market section and did well in appeasing my need for some Gotham. This is before Gordon came on the scene and before Bruce started his journey to being The Dark Knight.
I really enjoyed this. Each POV is well written. Felt like those characters were telling me their side of the story.

Read full review here:
Amy Beer
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I found that I enjoyed this book most when read in large doses. If I committed myself at least half an hour to this book, I really got absorbed in the story and the characters but anything less than that and I found myself not really caring most of the time. This is a shame as certain characters, like Harvey, are loveable all of the time, then you get a POV chapter from someone like Thomas Wayne who, on his own, is incredible dreary and monotonous. This novel had to lose 1 star from me for that. ...more
Richard Haas III
Jun 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: tie-in-novels
Years ago when I begin reading more seriously, I loved the idea of tie-in novels. But although the idea intrigued me, I didn’t technically get to read a tie-in novel until a year or so ago when I dived into the world of Star Wars. This was in part to my father saying most of those novels are poorly written and often rushed. As it would turn out, the Star Wars novels are actually mostly good… and this Gotham novel is pointless and absolutely poorly written. I mean, there’s a reason why the quotes ...more
Stéphanie
Oct 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
Blandest book I've ever read, with dull, cheap characterization and characters that feel paper thin. Makes me realize how amazing the actor playing Harvey in the TV show is; seriously, my heart goes out for him. He gives nuances where there is none in the book.
I seriously tried getting into it, for the sake of the show alone. Getting to know Bruce before his parents' death was... nice, I guess. Alfred wanting to teach him how to box was easily the best scene in the entire thing -- not that it
Eric
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A prequel to the TV show. And the TV show is a prequel to the whole Batman thing. How far do we have to go back to know that it was all just a series of unfortunate events?

Full review here: https://superheronovels.com/2017/03/0...

Anna Shiverdecker
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. I don't think an editor went over it at all. It was lazy writing, or at the very least odd word choices were made, and it was often repetitive, probably to reach some word count. And we're supposed to believe Bruce is 14 when the show picks up? I don't think so.
Breffni
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is a novel based on the television series "Gotham", which is a re-interpretation of Batman's childhood. This novel doesn't tell the story of Bruce Wayne as it's a prequel to the series, so the book ends where the first episode of season one begins.

I am a huge fan of the series so was delighted when I found this book in my local library, but the delight was short lived.

The good:

This reminds you of past events of you haven't watched the show in a long time. It has some brief mentions of
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I found this novel to be rather mediocre. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great. I very much enjoyed the interactions between the Wayne family and Alfred. Seeing Thomas and Martha alive and getting to know them as people was a fun experience. Apparently, Bruce got his deduction from his mother and his fighter spirit from his father. Another aspect that I enjoyed were the Easter eggs that were sprinkled throughout the novel. However, the foreshadowing of the elder Waynes' demise was prominently ...more
John Strubhart
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Gotham.
I love the TV series, Gotham. It's in my top ten favorite series of all time. I'm pleased to report that this prequel novel is top notch! The characters are true to form. No, we don't see Jim Gordon in this one, but Harvey, Oswald, Alfred, Bruce, Hugo Strange and Fish Mooney all all present.
Basically, this novel details the events that led to the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. I'll say no more than that. The writing is among the best done for novels based on television series or movies.
travis williams
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one is safe in Gotham

What I liked about this book is that like the show this could of been a starting point for Gotham the television show I mean there isn’t much background story to Gotham as far as Thomas and Martha Wayne story goes so I enjoyed reading about it and I would recommend this to anyone who has read any Batman comics or watch the movies or television show Gotham which is very good and I choose five stars because there wasn’t to much to the story that I didn’t enjoy
Crystal
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent prequel to the Gotham TV show. This story dives into more info about Dr. Strange, Pinewood Farms, the guilt Thomas Wayne felt and Karen Jennings. You also get to follow good old Bullock with his new partner and Bruce, as he adopts some of the infamous Batman ethics. I do highly recommend this book to any Gotham fan, though I feel the last chapter, possibly the last two weren't needed.
Chip
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, favorites
If you are a fan of the show Gotham, then this is a really fun read. If a fan of the Batman mythos, maybe not.

However, I am a fan of Gotham. This books has all the insanity of the show, and somehow managed to also capture the flaws from the show as well.
Christa
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I watched the tv show Gotham and this is an interesting story leading right up to the start of the show. It balances the story telling between the Waynes (Thomas, Bruce and Alfred) and the police (mostly Harvey Bullock).
Christy
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! What a great tie-in to the series! The writing portrayed each of the characters just perfectly, and I loved the background to add to the already wonderful plot of the TV series. A must-read for fans of Gotham!
Gary D. Powell Jr.
Very nice

Having watched the show, it was good to get some more detail on the characters. Hopefully, there will be more to come in the future. Any fan of the show will get into this and want more.
Chris Hicks
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, own
Fun little preview to Gotham.
Kate Motola
Jack Stubblefield
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great job of bringing this version of these characters from TV to prose. Characters were written so well and accurate to the show that I could hear their voices as I read. Good stuff, Maynard!
Gabriel Mero
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So good! The only inaccuracy was that in this story Arkham is up and running.
Jan van Es
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really great novel pre-Gotham TV show. I wish there were more novels out than just this one about Gotham.
Stephen Hamilton
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing. The story, the writing and the characterisation are all poor.
Courtney
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I've known a little bit about the Gotham show on FOX but this is supposed to be a prequel to the series - and has a ton of connections to what Bruce Wayne will eventually become. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for someone young of age, as there is violence throughout the pages.

Deyth Banger
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
"April 3, 2018 –
April 3, 2018 –
20.0% "This is what you need... a fresh juice from a city fulfilled and build upon corruption."
December 22, 2017 –
December 1, 2017 – Shelved
December 1, 2017 – Started Reading"

- I am not crazy fuck or some kinda psycho... but the new Gotham which is with new Bruce Wayne and Detective Jim Gordon and The Riddler... Is something which hasn't been experienced in the comic world since the Dark Knight - With The Joker - Heath Ledger.

...

If somebody is
David Cavaco
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a fan of the television series, this prequel is an important entry into the lore of Batman's story. Look forward to more novels about the darker side of Gotham and its menagerie of characters. A fun quick read!
Kimmy

• Batman: The Long Halloween #1
  • Batman/The Flash: The Button Deluxe Edition
  • Batman, Volume 4: The War of Jokes and Riddles
  • Soon
  • Nothing Lasts Forever (Die Hard, #1)
  • DC Universe: Rebirth #1
  • Down Time (I Hunt Killers, #0.1)
  • Constantine: The Hellblazer, Volume 2: The Art of the Deal
  • The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ
  • Constantine: The Hellblazer, Volume 1: Going Down
  • Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Canonical Alien trilogy, #2)
  • World Gone By (Coughlin #3)
  • The Killing Joke