Start by marking “Overplayed: A Parent's Guide to Sanity in the World of Youth Sports” as Want to Read:
Overplayed: A Parent's Guide to Sanity in the World of Youth Sports

Overplayed: A Parent's Guide to Sanity in the World of Youth Sports

As seen in Focus on the Family magazine.

Should I sign up our seven-year-old son for the travel team? What should we do about our daughter's Sunday morning games? Am I the only one longing for a sane balance between children’s sports, family time, and church commitments?

David King and Margot Starbuck offer good news for Christian parents stressed out by these questions and
Published March 8th 2016 by Herald Press

To ask other readers questions about Overplayed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overplayed

Start your review of Overplayed: A Parent's Guide to Sanity in the World of Youth Sports
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, favorites
What a helpful breath of fresh air! If you have any children involved in any sport, you need to read this book, preferably before you start enrolling your firstborn 4 yr old in teeball or peewee soccer.

With three very active boys in sports this fall and feeling the pressure (already?!) to decide on whether to put the 7 yr old in travel soccer next year, I was so excited to see this book reviewed on The Gospel Coalition's website.

I appreciated so many things about this book that I'll just list
Ej
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book I wish I had known about and read while my kids were still in highly competitive, year-round sports. We (thankfully) let them walk away when they said they were done instead of forcing them to continue, but it was a struggle to keep our smile and walk away from it all—but it was the best decision for our family. This book would’ve given us a lot of peace back then, and would’ve made us better sports parents while we were in the thick of it, too. Christian bent, but that shouldn’ ...more
Carly
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to find books on this topic and I thought this one did a great job of addressing some of the issues facing parents in this society. Thought provoking and well written. ...more
Lori Martin
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very important read, especially for parents of athletes. Examines various issues in the world of sports and raising children.
Lindstromsteph
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The authors are experienced athletic coaches as well as parents who each have more than one child who actively played multi sports. With coaching & managing their own families' schedules, this leads to their credibility.

The book is written in chapters of common myths or mistakes parents make, true stories, tips to parents, and questions at the end of each chapter.

Overplayed is written from a Christian worldview & highlights Christian values, character building, & maintaining a balanced home li
Ashley Bowman
While I agree with several points made (avoiding specialization, busting myths that "you owe it to your child") I'm still questioning several points made about the problem with elite sports. I've seen many benefits from my child's involvement in them. Still considering this one. Definitely left me with a lot to think about. ...more
A
Jan 13, 2020
Margot Starbuck
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Jg
Shannon
May 11, 2016
Charles
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My family and closest friends would have raised eyebrows over my reading a book on sports. As I put it to another friend of mine, my knowledge and interest in sports would almost fill a thimble. That said, I have to somehow emphasize the value I found in this book.

Look at the title and the cover art. Consider it a bit. I don't think I have ever seen such a perfect match to a book's content. King and his co-author Margot Starbuck make a great case for the hijacking of youth sports, the cost to fa
R

• The Night Swim
  • Atomic Love
  • The Death of Vivek Oji
  • Whisper Network
  • A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II
  • The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s: An Oral History
  • The Truths We Hold: An American Journey
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • The Only Woman in the Room
  • Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents
  • The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate – Discoveries from a Secret World
  • The English Patient
  • Beauty Sick: How the Cultural Obsession with Appearance Hurts Girls and Women
  • The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World
  • The Orchid and the Dandelion: Why Some Children Struggle and How All Can Thrive
  • Secrets of Cavendon (Cavendon Hall, #4)
  • The Fountains of Silence
David King is the author of "Finding Atlantis", "Vienna 1814", and, most recently, "Death in the City of Light".
A Fulbright Scholar with a master's degree from Cambridge University, King taught European history at the University of Kentucky before becoming a full-time writer.