Start by marking “Backwoods Ripper” as Want to Read:
Backwoods Ripper

Backwoods Ripper

A country drive quickly turns into a nightmare for newly-weds Paige and Hal Loche

When you are in the bush, pregnant, and your husband is hurt what do you do? Will you trust just about anyone?

When their car gets a flat tire in the Australian outback, it should be a simple job for capable Hal to fix. His wife pregnant, he sets to it. But an accident befalls him, leaving
Published June 5th 2016 by THE BOOK FOLKS

To ask other readers questions about Backwoods Ripper, please sign up.
Anna Willett My ideas come to me in bits. Usually it’s just the main character and a situation. I don’t act on the ideas, until a crucial plot twist or element…moreMy ideas come to me in bits. Usually it’s just the main character and a situation. I don’t act on the ideas, until a crucial plot twist or element strikes me. I can’t force the anything, I just wait and trust that they’ll come. When I can’t stop thinking about it, I know it’s time to start writing. Once I begin, the ideas really start flowing and then I make notes on what I want to happen in each chapter. (less)

Start your review of Backwoods Ripper
Marie
This was an awesome story! Very suspenseful and very intriguing! I couldn't read it fast enough and kept wanting to know what was going to happen next!

A couple are traveling through the back roads of Austrailia and end up breaking down. Someone comes along and seems to want to help the couple, but it turns out to be anything but help. What starts out as "help" turns into a twisted nightmare that makes the couple wonder if they will be able to survive this supposedly "good samaritan".

Get in your
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
At 187 pages, Backwoods Ripper was a quick and highly enjoyable read.

This is one of those brooding stories where you know that what is between the pages is going to be dark and it certainly was. If what leaves Hal immobilised isn't horrific enough, what comes later surely is.

Paige and Hal are a young couple who have everything to look forward to. That is until Paige has to enlist a strangers help. You can tell as soon as you meet Lizzy and her daughter Soona that there is something not quite
Bandit
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my fourth read by the author and by far the best. By far. I mean, her books are always fun, quick entertaining suspense thrillers with a distinct Aussie flavor, but this one…this one was something different, something more. This book has such a genuine eerie creepiness factor that it managed to disturb in broad daylight. Just imagine how much fun it would be in the dark. The title, admittedly, is somewhat cheesy and generic, albeit very accurate. The contents are purely horrific with ...more
TDCbookreviews
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like horror books you won't be disappointed by this book. Expecting parents take a country drive before the preparations of their new baby when they stop to eat and find out that their tire has been slashed!

It takes you on a trip down all the good horror movies you have ever watched. It's almost like a movie because you can see everything that is happening. I would say this is a blend of a V.C. Andrews novel and a Stephen King.

You won't be disappointed by this book if you are looking for
Kim
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
Setting: Western Australia. Hal and his pregnant wife Paige are on holiday in a remote area of Western Australia when, taking a country road as a short-cut, they get a flat tyre and, in trying to change it, Hal is seriously injured. When Paige goes for help, she meets two women in a truck who come to their assistance - taking the injured Hal and pregnant Paige back to their house is the beginning of a nightmare for the couple at the hands of these women...
I wasn't as gripped by this one as the
Nick Iuppa
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Donna
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Killer Thriller

Just WOW! When reading the "blurb" the book Misery is mentioned. While I understand the reference I have to say I think author Anna Willett's bad girl is so much more frightening. This is a well written story, full of suspense. The story is beyond gripping. With larger than life characters and in depth descriptions you will certainly be horrified. Although very graphic, I personally felt the violence fit the story. A great terrifying, horrifying read.
Maia Gomez
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely absorbing read! This book reminds me of Misery meets The Hills Have Eyes! The writing is extraordinarily great with vivid descriptions and palpable emotions. As you get to know the characters, you can't help but feel for them and their struggle for survival. It was very interesting to see Paige's transformation as she battles for herself, her husband Hal and their unborn child. There were quite a few moments that had me cringing in delicious horror as chills raced up my back! The ...more
Dhara Parekh
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely LOVED this book. It kept me on toes the whole time. The characters were intense and brilliantly written, the plot was thrilling and the writing was solid. Both, the antagonist and the protagonist were interesting. While Lizzy terrified me to no extent, Paige's struggle made me root for her. Soona reminded me of Lennie from Of Mice and Men. The writing made you care for the characters. There was not a single dull moment.

Apart from few repetitive description of emotions, Backwoods
Kyleigh
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a good time reading this and it did keep me on my toes so it totally did what a thriller should do.
The main issue I had was that I've read this story before with minor changes here and there. The synopsis says that if you like Misery by Stephen King you'd like this but it's almost exactly like that book. It was really distracting while I read it.
All in all I had a good time reading but it had some distracting issue.
Kim
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in only two nights!

While browsing my Kindle library for something to help me drift off to sleep, I found BACKWOODS RIPPER. Well, guess what-- I didn't, and you probably won't, either. Lots of death-defying, corkscrew twists and turns that began soon after I started this book and even up to the end until i found myself actually gasping for breath! Wow!What a ride!
chelepissbcglobal.net
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS.

What a great book. I absolutely loved the characters and the story. The pace increased with each and every page. There were quite a few heart stopping moments until the mind blowing conclusion. Great book. Read it.
Daileen
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Couldn't stop reading it. Had me from beginning to end. Well written. Looking forward to reading this authors next book "Retribution Ridge"
Robby
Wow, Wow, Wow. And I have now added Anna Willett to my favorite authors list. This was a great read (IMO). Thus I gave it a five star rating; which I am not going to try to justify since I'm not talented at such redeeming review playbacks. At any rate; this struck me as a cross between two movies that I saw several years back. One being "Beguiled"; released in 1971 starring (a very young) Clint Eastwood. And two being "Misery"; released in 1990 starring Kathy Bates and James Caan. This is a tale ...more
Jane
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Newlyweds Paige and Hal Loche are on a road trip when they make a pit stop to grab a bite to eat and to stretch their legs. Paige is in her third trimester.

Just as they’re about to drive off, Hal notices that they have a flat tire. He quickly sets off to change the tire before it rains. But while he’s changing the tire he gets bitten on his calf by a snake. Frantic, Paige tries to call for help but they are stranded in the middle of nowhere and she can’t get a signal.

Meanwhile, Hal is almost
Kenneth Lingenfelter
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paige and Hal are newly married expecting their first child. They get a flat tire and as Hal is changing the tire he gets bitten by a snake and the jack moves and the car falls on his leg. The cell phone has no reception. Paige walks to get help and a car with Lizzy driving stops to help. Lizzy discovers that Paige is pregnant and takes them to her house. Lizzy tells them that it would take 2 hours to get to a hospital and Hal needs immediate attention to his wounds. This is where the horror ...more
Cathy
Dec 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sounded familiar

I couldn't help but notice the similarities between this and Stephen King's book "Misery." This book didn't have the jolt of Kong's book though. I'm still not getting this title, I thought I was going to run into someone like Jack the Ripper. Too much lovey-dovey stuff for me. I really don't like to see romance in my horror books. One more thing that annoyed me; everyone was picking their lips or touching them. I know that's a petty complaint but it bugged me. All in all the book
Rita
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want a real thriller this book is for you!! I was thinking this was a horror movie. It sure would make a great one! I really loved how this book put me in suspense and wondering what would happen next! The author is amazing and definitely kept me scared and wanting to know how they would get out of their situation. I was surprised at the ending.
Erik Empson
An excellent take on the rednecks in the woods story theme. A non-supernatural horror story that will give fans of Stephen King a thrill.
Sandra Leivesley
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, australia, 2019
7 months pregnant Paige and her husband Hal are travelling in the Australian Outback when their car gets a flat tire. As he is changing the wheel Hal is bitten by a snake on his leg and his other leg is crushed by the car. Paige sets off on foot to find help and when 2 women in a truck pull up and offer to help they their nightmare begins.

I was very excited by the synopsis of this book and couldn’t wait to start reading. It wasn’t quite what the title led me to believe. The term ‘Ripper’ in the
Marbea Logan
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel was very disheartening but well written. It's a page turner but a heart burner. I just couldn't stop crying because of the way Lizzy abused Soona. I have an autistic child, and it hurt my soul for a character to treat a person that way. Most marriages don't last after that type of trauma, but Hal making Paige talk it out is one step to a successful future. I'm not sure if she's able to have anymore babies, but Jacob's memory is forever going to mark a traumatic position in their ...more
Shawna
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled across this book completely by chance and am very pleased that I did.

Backwoods Ripper is a very suspenseful horror story. It starts off with you meeting a lovely young couple. They are young, newlywed, and expecting their first child. Despite their personal demons of past pains (which we all tend to have), they are very happy and optimistic of the future. On an outing before their baby enters this world they run into car troubles. What seems as a simple but inconvenient change in
Alyson Read
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I only found this book mildly thrilling with a very small element of horror thrown in. Basically it's a cautionary tale of why not to get out of your car in the middle of the Australian outback when you don't have a clue about what wildlife is out there and how to deal with it, especially with a pregnant woman in tow. I personally found it extraordinary that a grown woman was unable to change a wheel or drive with a manual gearbox but there wouldn't have been much of a story without that. Paige ...more
Vivian
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellently creepy! I found myself reading wide-eyed often. This book is so well done it gave me goosebumps.

~ Paige and Hal were off on a road trip through Perth. The last hurrah before their baby was born in about a month. It seemed simple enough; a couple, a car and a destination. Until they decided to stop for a picnic lunch near an abandoned building. The black magpie swooping down to Paige’s head was Hal’s first sign of things to come. They’re bad luck, after all. Thinking he was being
Elizabeth Berg
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable Great Book

I saw misery when I was a kid and it made me cringe.
This book puts Misery to shame in intensity.
The characters were so vivid and real. The horrors in this house took my breath away.
Since I started reading true crime and thrillers as a teenager I've been afraid of the woods. I will NEVER spend a night in the woods again now EVER. OMG I WILL NEVER LET ANOTHER STRANGER CHANGE MY TIRES.
This writer will be very famous and This storY will be a movie second to none on the
Patty
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a trip. This book will send chills thru your blood and make your tummy queasy. Loved it. Hal and Paige are on vacation when they have a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. Hal gets bitten by a snake and the jacked up car falls on his leg. A couple women come along and take them to their big rambling home. Paige is seven months pregnant. Thing start to go so very wrong. The attention to detail, especially the torture, makes it feel like it is being done to you! Can't wait to read more ...more
Debbie
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my what a book, it has been a while since I have read a mystery/thriller book that makes my skin crawl. At points in the book, I had the dilemma that sometimes, I wanted to put the book down and not read anymore, but at the same time I wanted to find out what happens next. It was almost like a morbid fascination.

I can highly recommend it to anyone who likes mystery/thriller/crimes. But be warned in mights it will make you feel sick and fascinated at the same time.

The powers of the human mind
Jeffrey
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hard to put down!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It took only a short time to get involved. The author wrote in such a descriptive way... and made me really care about the characters... well, some of them ;-). It was very hard to put down, as I wanted to see how the "incident" ended. Very easy read!
Morning Star
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AN ABSOLUTE THRILLING THRILLER!

I highly recommend this book to anyone that loves a good thriller. The characters are unforgettable. There were moments, that I felt truly frightened. This book has a way of hitting on unspoken fears,keeping the reader involved and while also,I believe,renewing faith in love and hope. Great read.
becky
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant

I chose 4 stars because this book is wonderfully written and a very enjoyable read. Storyline is great and I struggled to put it down. The only reason it wasn't a 5 star rating was because I didn't find it particularly scary. I wanted the hair to stand on the back of my neck as I read it. Needless to say this doesn't stop this book being a truly enticing and editing read.
« previous 1 3 next »
Horror Aficionados : Anna Willett author of Backwoods Ripper 1 14 Sep 01, 2016 09:57PM

• Mosquito Man (World's Scariest Legends)
  • Sins of the Child
  • Blood Rites: An Invitation to Horror
  • Twisted (Lights Out #1)
  • Before She's Gone
  • Her Deepest Fear (Rosemary Run, #1)
  • Dark and Deadly Things (Dark Things #1)
  • Darkness Falls (The Secret Bunker, #1)
  • Pretty Little Girls (An Agent Victoria Heslin Thriller, #2)
  • Run Away Baby
  • All the Dying Children
  • The Crowlands
  • Tin Men
  • Run from Me (Detective Sara Hunt, #1)
  • The Numbers Killer (An Agent Victoria Heslin Thriller, #1)
  • In My Father's Basement