Start by marking “Backwoods Ripper” as Want to Read:

Backwoods Ripper

A country drive quickly turns into a nightmare for newly-weds Paige and Hal Loche

When you are in the bush, pregnant, and your husband is hurt what do you do? Will you trust just about anyone?

When their car gets a flat tire in the Australian outback, it should be a simple job for capable Hal to fix. His wife pregnant, he sets to it. But an accident befalls him, leaving h
Published June 5th 2016 by THE BOOK FOLKS

To ask other readers questions about Backwoods Ripper, please sign up.
Anna Willett My ideas come to me in bits. Usually it’s just the main character and a situation. I don’t act on the ideas, until a crucial plot twist or element str…moreMy ideas come to me in bits. Usually it’s just the main character and a situation. I don’t act on the ideas, until a crucial plot twist or element strikes me. I can’t force the anything, I just wait and trust that they’ll come. When I can’t stop thinking about it, I know it’s time to start writing. Once I begin, the ideas really start flowing and then I make notes on what I want to happen in each chapter. (less)

Start your review of Backwoods Ripper
Marie
This was an awesome story! Very suspenseful and very intriguing! I couldn't read it fast enough and kept wanting to know what was going to happen next!

Backwoods-Ripper-Fan-Art.jpg

A small backstory:

A couple are traveling through the back roads of Australia and end up breaking down. Someone comes along and seems to want to help the couple, but it turns out to be anything but help. What starts out as "help" turns into a "twisted nightmare" that makes the couple wonder if they will be able to survive this supposedly "good
Sharon
The newlyweds Paige and Hal Loche decide to take advantage of their last moment of tranquility together before the birth of their baby, so they go into the countryside. On their journey, they stop to have something eat and drink. This is where Hal notices the flat tyre of the car and proceeds to change it, but something so simple turns into Hal injuring himself and Paige must try to get them to safety.

Being heavily pregnant, Paige knows she can't change the tyre, but she needs help as her husba
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
At 187 pages, Backwoods Ripper was a quick and highly enjoyable read.

This is one of those brooding stories where you know that what is between the pages is going to be dark and it certainly was. If what leaves Hal immobilised isn't horrific enough, what comes later surely is.

Paige and Hal are a young couple who have everything to look forward to. That is until Paige has to enlist a strangers help. You can tell as soon as you meet Lizzy and her daughter Soona that there is something not quite rig
Bandit
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my fourth read by the author and by far the best. By far. I mean, her books are always fun, quick entertaining suspense thrillers with a distinct Aussie flavor, but this one…this one was something different, something more. This book has such a genuine eerie creepiness factor that it managed to disturb in broad daylight. Just imagine how much fun it would be in the dark. The title, admittedly, is somewhat cheesy and generic, albeit very accurate. The contents are purely horrific with evi ...more
TDCbookreviews
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like horror books you won't be disappointed by this book. Expecting parents take a country drive before the preparations of their new baby when they stop to eat and find out that their tire has been slashed!

It takes you on a trip down all the good horror movies you have ever watched. It's almost like a movie because you can see everything that is happening. I would say this is a blend of a V.C. Andrews novel and a Stephen King.

You won't be disappointed by this book if you are looking for
Kim
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
Setting: Western Australia. Hal and his pregnant wife Paige are on holiday in a remote area of Western Australia when, taking a country road as a short-cut, they get a flat tyre and, in trying to change it, Hal is seriously injured. When Paige goes for help, she meets two women in a truck who come to their assistance - taking the injured Hal and pregnant Paige back to their house is the beginning of a nightmare for the couple at the hands of these women...
I wasn't as gripped by this one as the p
Nick Iuppa
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kori ☾
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, thriller
It took me a while to get into the book, that's until Lizzy and Soona came into the story. If I had trust issues before, this story amplified it to 100. The plot is good, gets to the point, and kept me on my toes. I read a lot of reviews that said the story reminded them of Misery, I agree, and felt that it also had a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe. This is a story you won't regret reading. My only issue was the occasional grammar errors. ...more
Donna
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Killer Thriller

Just WOW! When reading the "blurb" the book Misery is mentioned. While I understand the reference I have to say I think author Anna Willett's bad girl is so much more frightening. This is a well written story, full of suspense. The story is beyond gripping. With larger than life characters and in depth descriptions you will certainly be horrified. Although very graphic, I personally felt the violence fit the story. A great terrifying, horrifying read.
Maia Gomez
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely absorbing read! This book reminds me of Misery meets The Hills Have Eyes! The writing is extraordinarily great with vivid descriptions and palpable emotions. As you get to know the characters, you can't help but feel for them and their struggle for survival. It was very interesting to see Paige's transformation as she battles for herself, her husband Hal and their unborn child. There were quite a few moments that had me cringing in delicious horror as chills raced up my back! The s ...more
Dhara (dha.raiter)
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. It kept me on toes the whole time. The characters were intense and brilliantly written, the plot was thrilling and the writing was solid. Both, the antagonist and the protagonist were interesting. While Lizzy terrified me to no extent, Paige's struggle made me root for her. Soona reminded me of Lennie from Of Mice and Men. The writing made you care for the characters. There was not a single dull moment.

Apart from few repetitive description of emotions, Backwoods Rip
Cathy
Dec 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Sounded familiar

I couldn't help but notice the similarities between this and Stephen King's book "Misery." This book didn't have the jolt of Kong's book though. I'm still not getting this title, I thought I was going to run into someone like Jack the Ripper. Too much lovey-dovey stuff for me. I really don't like to see romance in my horror books. One more thing that annoyed me; everyone was picking their lips or touching them. I know that's a petty complaint but it bugged me. All in all the book
Kyleigh
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a good time reading this and it did keep me on my toes so it totally did what a thriller should do.
The main issue I had was that I've read this story before with minor changes here and there. The synopsis says that if you like Misery by Stephen King you'd like this but it's almost exactly like that book. It was really distracting while I read it.
All in all I had a good time reading but it had some distracting issue.
 Kim Terry
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in only two nights!

While browsing my Kindle library for something to help me drift off to sleep, I found BACKWOODS RIPPER. Well, guess what-- I didn't, and you probably won't, either. Lots of death-defying, corkscrew twists and turns that began soon after I started this book and even up to the end until i found myself actually gasping for breath! Wow!What a ride!
chelepissbcglobal.net
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
FABULOUS.

What a great book. I absolutely loved the characters and the story. The pace increased with each and every page. There were quite a few heart stopping moments until the mind blowing conclusion. Great book. Read it.
Daileen
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Couldn't stop reading it. Had me from beginning to end. Well written. Looking forward to reading this authors next book "Retribution Ridge" ...more
gwen graves
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ok

This story was ok. There were parts that were good, but the more I read the more I thought it would make good story for the tv show The Twilight Zone.
Jane
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Newlyweds Paige and Hal Loche are on a road trip when they make a pit stop to grab a bite to eat and stretch their legs. Paige is in her third trimester.

Just as they’re about to drive off, Hal notices that they have a flat tire. He quickly sets off to change the tire before it rains. But while he’s changing the tire he gets bitten on his calf by a snake. Frantic, Paige tries to call for help but they are stranded in the middle of nowhere and she can’t get a signal.

Meanwhile, Hal is almost going
Robby
Wow, Wow, Wow. And I have now added Anna Willett to my favorite authors list. This was a great read (IMO). Thus I gave it a five star rating; which I am not going to try to justify since I'm not talented at such redeeming review playbacks. At any rate; this struck me as a cross between two movies that I saw several years back. One being "Beguiled"; released in 1971 starring (a very young) Clint Eastwood. And two being "Misery"; released in 1990 starring Kathy Bates and James Caan. This is a tale ...more
Kenneth Lingenfelter
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paige and Hal are newly married expecting their first child. They get a flat tire and as Hal is changing the tire he gets bitten by a snake and the jack moves and the car falls on his leg. The cell phone has no reception. Paige walks to get help and a car with Lizzy driving stops to help. Lizzy discovers that Paige is pregnant and takes them to her house. Lizzy tells them that it would take 2 hours to get to a hospital and Hal needs immediate attention to his wounds. This is where the horror beg ...more
Glenna
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My goodness!! I absolutely could not put this book down! I read this book EVERYWHERE I went until I finished it .... in one day!!!!! It was not typically in the genre that I normally read, but I have to give the author credit. Just goes to show that a well written story, no matter the genre, is worth the read. My hat's off to you Ms. Willett! 5 stars for this one!!! What else have you written ??? ...more
SpideyWebz
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
When I say that I've read this book before, I mean that I've read books almost exactly like it; there is a very strong resemblance to Stephen King's "Misery", and you honestly know what's going to happen about five pages into the story.

I feel that the author could have written something wonderful, but she leaned so heavily on various tropes that it reads as though she enjoyed a book so much that she took it and just added a few characters and changed a few words. Disappointing.
Rita
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you want a real thriller this book is for you!! I was thinking this was a horror movie. It sure would make a great one! I really loved how this book put me in suspense and wondering what would happen next! The author is amazing and definitely kept me scared and wanting to know how they would get out of their situation. I was surprised at the ending.
J Barkess
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Silly title

I enjoyed his read more than I expected to, the title was very off putting.
I have read a couple of books by this writer a they are usually free, this was a better plot and I liked that it didn't have an unrealistic happy ever after ending.
Erik Empson
An excellent take on the rednecks in the woods story theme. A non-supernatural horror story that will give fans of Stephen King a thrill.
Tracy
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read! Stayed up way too late and finished it in two sittings. Fast paced and lots of action and intrigue
Cindylou
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Backwoods Ripper

There are so many scary things about this suspenseful story. The most terrifying part is that it could actually happen.
Douglas
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
suspense & horror all in a few days and mostly in a single setting/something you would not want to happen to you/interesting characters/well written/Four Stars
Darlene
This book reminded me of those Wrong Turn movies, where people wind up in a desolate area and are then terrorized.

Hal and his 7-months-pregnant wife, Paige, decide to go on one last adventure before their first baby comes. They decide to do a hiking tour exploring the southwest of Australia. They pull over onto a side road to have a stretch and something to eat, and then they notice that one of the tires has a slash. Hal jacks up the vehicle and is getting ready to change the tire when a snake d
Steve Phillips
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Perhaps the word "bitumen" is extremely common in Australia, but three times in the first minute of reading the book? And four more times within a few more minutes? A word this author needs to learn is "thesaurus".

At the very beginning of the book, the young couple is assaulted by an extraordinary run of bad luck. So extraordinary, I found myself wondering what was next. Would they be hit by a meteor? Assaulted by a rabid kangaroo? Experience sudden and unexplained bouts of explosive diarrhea?

I
« previous 1 3 next »
Horror Aficionados : Anna Willett author of Backwoods Ripper 1 16 Sep 01, 2016 09:57PM

• On the Lips of Children
  • Twisted (Lights Out #1)
  • Blood Rites: An Invitation to Horror
  • Mosquito Man
  • The Haunting of The Holloway Family (A Riveting Haunted House Mystery Series Book 8)
  • The House Party
  • Dark and Deadly Things (Dark Things #1)
  • The Way She Lied (Peacock & Rayburn, #4)
  • The Visitors