Start by marking “Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About” as Want to Read:
Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About

Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About

After studying yoga in India and traveling all over the world with traditional Vedantic masters, Steve Ross returned to his hometown of Los Angeles with a broadened point of view of what yoga could be. He was surprised to find that yoga classes at home were missing the humor, joy, and celebration that fueled his Eastern studies. Instead of expanding and enhancing the joy o ...more
Published November 11th 2003 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published October 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Yoga

Steffy
Dec 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Really, one of the best books I have ever read. So, you think it's going to be all about yoga...well, it's not! It's about life and our preconceived notions, all of the going, going, going we do in life and what we put into our bodies, and the thoughts that we generate. For anyone that wants to slow down and take a breath, please read.
Brittanie
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga
I know a lot of people love this book but it just didn't strike me as the gem everyone else thinks it is. I did read this after reading the Bhagavad Gita, the Yoga Sutras and The Four Agreements, and all those books lay out the same themes and ideas as this book in a more complete and complex way. Maybe that's the draw of this book — it's the most basic and accessible description of many of the beliefs that make up yoga.

I did enjoy the chapter on death and dying. What I didn't enjoy was some of
Katie
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
I liked this book well enough. I think it's a good start for someone looking to learn more about what yoga's about. Not that I'm an enlightened being, or a supreme yogi, but a lot of what I was reading wasn't necessarily new to me (thanks, teacher training and four years of practicing yoga!), but I wasn't always keen on Ross's writing style. I felt at times his tone was flippant (for example, asking something like 'why would you want to go to the mall?' or some such, and answering the question i ...more
Amelia
Half excellent wisdom about the nature of happiness (and how to be happy), and half really weird and extreme views I don't really agree with. Fulfilled its purpose of helping me be happier, but there was a lot of stuff I chose to disregard/was not comfortable with.
Mary
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wish Goodreads had a category for tried-to-read-but-abandoned. I didn't really read this. Just enough to be annoyed by the cloyingly sweet approach. Makes yoga sound like a bad hallmark card. My apologies for giving and/or recommending this book.
Annette
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved re-reading this book, as I experience something each time. My favorite quote on this ride: “If you ever watched a flower,…you can see love pouring out of it. It has no demands: it loves existence: It loves the sun, it loves to be nourished, it loves to live, and it loves to die.” As we all search for truth and fulfillment in our own way, so glad I’m on this path. What lies deeper than our thoughts is the journey Steve Ross takes us through in a lighthearted way.
Kelly
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love the Steve Ross Inhale yoga classes - but this was difficult to stomach. I didn't come to this book expecting to find a lot of nutrition and lifestyle advice. I was really turned off by his pseudo-sciencey arguments for stress, sleep, sex, veganism, etc. throw in a few stats, make some flip comments, then finish with a glib joke. Not for me. It was hollow and came off as disingenuous and belittling.
Edison G.S.
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
What did the yogi say to the hot dog vendor? Make me one with everything

This joke had me laughing hard. Steve Ross has a writing style that uses plenty of metaphors to make it easier to follow the contents. He will humor you whenever possible, making reading this book entertaining and enlightening at the same time. The book is divided in seven parts and it basically is bringing the message that life is great as it is although people tend to make things complicated due to the ego’s actions. Spec
Annalee Porter
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing -- he regurgitates ancient wisdom with a giggle and Tupac quotes. I couldn't read it fast enough. Everything he says makes so much sense and he sense it in a way that makes you want to stuff your face with lettuce and happy yoga. Go get it.
Emily
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite yoga book ever. It changed my life. (That's not an exaggeration) And every time I go back to this book I get new things out of it.
Courtney Stout
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I especially enjoyed the section on nutrition and hydration, so informative and interesting!
Lish
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the basic concepts.
Dilek
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In general, I have several books by my side during the week. Mostly these books are irrelevant to each other. For instance last time I had Stephan Hawkings Universe in a Nutshell, Classical Ottoman Poetry, Dostoveski’s Demons, Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Cronicles of a Murder and this final book I have finished: Happy Yoga by Steve Ross.

Happy Yoga

Happy Yoga reasons why there is nothing to worry about in seven parts (Hard to believe!). The book is mainly established around the inner logic of yoga an
Kate
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Even if you don't do yoga, read this book! There is so much life philosophy in here that rang my bells. Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"Right underneath your thoughts and negative emotions exists an ocean of love. One has but to quiet the mind to experience it."

"If you really pay attention, your life becomes your guru."

"Love, bliss and peace are your natural condition."

"What might seem like problems may actually be invitations for change."

"You don't need to do anything. Just allow work to b
Claire
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
I loved doing yoga with Steve Ross' Inhale. At the end I always felt good both physically and mentally, and ready to take on anything. Also after his meditation at the end I had always stopped sweating (unlike other work outs where that was only the beginning!) and could comfortably take a shower or do something else. I didn't really know his philosophies, but thanks to Carolyn and this book, I have a much better understanding. You can get bogged down in some of the get rid of your ego, know you ...more
Poppy Filipponi
Years ago I used to wake up early each morning to join in on Inhale with Steve Ross. I was never great at yoga, but I tried really hard and loved it! I wish his show still aired! I am so glad that I found this book. It will have to be my next best thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! No, no... that doesn't quite express it. This book is a must read! If you have stress in your life (and who doesn't), if you have forgotten about happiness being an essential part of your daily life, if you have gi
Missy
Aug 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book in 2006 and I only gave it four stars, but I knew it was a mistake. Upon the rereading I have decided to bump it up! Even if you don't do yoga- this book will make you happy. It's not just the title. It's taken me 7 years to do a reread and the actual review. I almost forgot how awesome this book is..........if only for the playlists featured on the end of the chapters! haha I remember sweating to those very songs while doing yoga w/ Steve and company on "Inhale". I really ...more
Sara
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
wonderful!
natalie's review prompted me to track this book down. i was thrilled to find it used at powell's, and while it took me a while to finish it, it was very much worth it. i'll admit that a great deal of steve ross' discussion on LA lifestyle and culture didn't do much for me, there were so many gems hidden in this book that i will certainly recommend it to many. (as a matter of fact, my friend liz has borrowed my copy to read while she crafts her journal component of her yoga teacher trai
Gemma
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OK, I was a little pertubed by some of the pseudo scientific claims in the 'You're Not Fat (and neither am I) chapter, but being the sister of a mollecular bioligist and the daughter of 2 science teachers I'm apt to be sceptical without independent peer reviewed journals. I also thouroughly disagree with Steve Ross' take on therapy and medication. But as Steve Ross states it's good to question those trying to give you information.

So, why 5 stars.....this book was a life changing read. I read it
Nichole
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
To me it seems like a realistic Cliff Notes version of the yamas/niyamas and the 8 limbs of yoga rolled into one nicely compact paperback. He intertwines lots of self study questions with stories, anecdotes, quotes, recommended yoga poses, and even supplement advice into each of the 7 "reason" chapters. It's a nice quick read that takes you way beyond just being bendy on your yoga mat, in fact he pushes asana down to where it should be..a way of getting the body perfected and out of the way so t ...more
Natalie Halt
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
At the present moment, this is my most favorite most meaningful most grounding read of them all. Steve Ross can be a bit silly at times, but get the guy expounding on identification with roles, seeking love within oneself, changing one's world from the inside outward (just to name a few themes from the text)... it is an eloquent read, indeed. I have already gone through it twice (almost) and will begin my third journey as soon as the final page turns. Even if you don't practice yoga this book is ...more
Lauren
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Steve Ross. I used to do his yoga class on tv every morning when it was on Oxygen. I was devastated when it went they took it off the air. He is such a positive dude and helped this "not-a-morning person" turn into a tolerable morning person. I was happy when I found this book and it was everything I had hoped for. While not a substitution for the yoga class, it is a great read for anyone who needs to remember what life is really about. Stop stressing so dang much!
Belle
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Really awesome and intriguing book. Mostly for people who want to know about the spiritual ideas behind yoga. Reading this book gives me a lot of admiration for the author, because it seems like he really lives the ideas that he talks about. This book completely fascinates me. I think I'm a little more than halfway through it.
Wendy
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've read quite a few books on yoga and I think this is one of the best. I do not completely agree with every word written in this book regarding various topics but that typically happens when it comes to these kinds of books. Overall I loved the insights, it was easy and fast to read, and it would be worth picking up for anyone who is interested in or already practices yoga.
Katherine Riegel
I really liked this book for the first half--at least the ideas, though not the writing itself, which tends towards cliche. But then it descended into a list of ways to eat and be healthy with psuedo-scientific backing up. The beginning, however, is well worth the read because it suggests to readers that most important Yogic and Buddhist idea: no self-judging.
Amanda
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
Great perspective. I expected this to be superficial, but instead it's become a book I go back to again and again. It's a practical, real-life reminder to all of us who are natural worriers that we are not in control, we aren't supposed to be in control, and why would we want boring control anyway? I also appreciate the solid approach to vegetarianism. Many yoga books gloss right over that one!
Melea Rose-Waters
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
I'm moving this off of my currently reading list to read, even though I haven't finished it. This book is a work in progress and I don't know that I will ever be completely finished with it. I love it!! There are a lot of questions and answers I want to go through and fill out in the book. It will stay on my nightstand for an indefinite period of time. :)
Misty
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book makes that yogi mumbo jumbo very easily accessible to a person with a busy modern life.

I have now reached the section on nutrition. Come on, how is anyone outside of California seriously to be expected to eat a 90% raw food vegan diet?
Amanda
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Steve Ross is the bomb and Happy Yoga provides a beautiful, easy way to follow the path - without rigid requirements, etc. I love Steve's 70-80% perfection plan. Great for anyone beginning to practice yoga and nervous about a lifestyle change.
Grumpus
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: miscellaneous
I love Steve Ross and his show "Inhale" on the Oxygen network. It was his show that turned me on to yoga and now I'm addicted to it! I'm promoting the benefits of yoga to all I know but I found his book just a little too out there for me.

• Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Insight Yoga
  • Theme Weaver: Connect the Power of Inspiration to Teaching Yoga
  • A Year of Living Your Yoga: Daily Practices to Shape Your Life
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • Yoga Body Diet