Start by marking “Self to Lose - Self to Find: A Biblical Approach to the 9 Enneagram Types” as Want to Read:
Self to Lose - Self to Find: A Biblical Approach to the 9 Enneagram Types

Self to Lose - Self to Find: A Biblical Approach to the 9 Enneagram Types

Self to Lose Self to Find examines the invitation of Jesus to lose yourself in order to find your true self, and presents the personality system known as the Enneagram within this biblical framework. It will guide you toward liberating self-awareness by detailing nine distinct personality patterns, each with particular gifts and challenges. By learning about your type, you ...more
Published June 3rd 2016 by Redemption Press

To ask other readers questions about Self to Lose - Self to Find, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self to Lose - Self to Find

Aimee Smith
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was eye-opening and life changing for me.
Dan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well done, Marilyn Vancil. She’s approached the Enneagram with a fresh viewpoint within the framework of solid Christian discipleship, while also unpacking the beautiful contemplative potential to be found there.
Allison
As the first book I've read on the Enneagram, I expect this is a helpful addition to the collection, approaching the types from a Christian framework. Some components of the framework presented may not fit perfectly in all Christian worldviews, but the ideas are worth at least consider and wrestling with.

I don't think this can be the only book you read on the Enneagram (is there any such book? It seems a system that lends itself to never-ending contemplation and research.), but it worked as an i
Terry Watson
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best book yet on how to integrate the Enneagram and becoming more authentic with the teachings of the Bible
Amanda
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I suppose at some point I should wonder how many books on personality a person can (should?) read. But each one has different insights, and this book had some good ones about tying personality to spiritual growth. The author has a writing style that exudes wisdom, and some of the points she made I'm still pondering. She bases the book around the idea of having an adapted self vs. authentic self and unpacks some common misunderstandings around denying ourselves (disowning the old self instead of ...more
Aaron Ventura
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Some helpful wisdom here and there, but Vancil omits some of the most crucial doctrinal points of Christian sanctification and growth in holiness, namely seeing sin and defining it in light of God's glory, and the need to mortify remaining sin. There is some theological redefinition and slight of hand that feel very eisegetical as opposed to bringing the full weight of Scripture to bear on the Enneagram typology. I expected more from a Christian author and was disappointed. Some turns-of-phrase ...more
Anna
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A helpful and fresh take on the Enneagram. She has a beautiful way of distinguishing between the False and True Selves. A practical exercise for mindful navigation of the trouble spots in your personality at the end.

She encourages the reader to get in touch at the close of the book. She promptly responded to one of my questions regarding my type and offered to set up a phone call. I am excited to talk with her next week. Such a genuinely kind and wise lady!
Chandra
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book really helped me understand the overall theory of the Enneagram and the true self-false self notion. I also appreciated the detailed step-by-step OWN-UP process to diagnose behavior. I didn’t love the individual type descriptions or essential type test in the appendix. I actually was more confused about my type after reading this book. Overall, recommend, but suggest using with additional tools.
Gina
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've probably read at least a dozen Enneagram books but this might be my favorite. It's a great introduction (although not as comprehensive as others) but the best part about it is the biblical context she gives, as well and the section on how to practice awareness. This just affirmed so much of what I have understood myself about how the Enneagram fits into spiritual growth.
Vanessa Siemens
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Out of all the enneagram books I’ve read, this one is one of my favourites. I love the author’s perspective and the OWN-UP application at the end- I find she speaks to the heart of how the enneagram can be used as a tool to fully live as our true selves as God creates is. I especially loved the ‘God’s personal invitation of love’ chapter. I will definitely be revisiting this book!
Lisa Pauls
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to Enneagram types

This book was a great resource for someone new to Enneagram Types. Certainly this is an area that will take lots of reflection to fully understand.
Keri
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book with so much good information about enneagram and faith. I loved it and need to own it.
Amy
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fresh perspective on the enneagram with practical steps to living as your true rather than adapted self.
Kaitlyn Pindak
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good! Several things to think and discuss through in light of scripture but very good and helpful.
Mallory G
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Life-altering.
Kim
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Practical guide to the Enneagram with a spiritual focus. Great guide.
Pamela Strickland
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Best book on the Enneagram I have ever read. Very accessible, clear and affirming.
Michael
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A bit repetitive at times, I felt like the book was a good Christian introduction to the Enneagram overall.
Brooke Hendrickson
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this take on the enneagram. Very helpful!
Chris Guzzardo
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Enneagram book that incorporates growth in Christ

I have read 4 Enneagram books now and this one is my favorite in that it shows you how to grow into your Authentic self in Jesus! Amazing.
Aaron Monts
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful new language

There's helpful new language in Marilyn's approach and understanding of the Enneagram as well as some helpful tools for spiritual formation based upon your number. This is a practical and helpful work to guide you deeper towards the heart of God.
Sydney Avey
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Self to Lose, Self to Find, Marilyn Vancil does a masterful job communicating her examination of the Enneagram system in light of Biblical wisdom. Not an easy task. She avoids the pitfall of a detailed explanation of the personality types in favor of introducing the basic tenets of the Enneagram to the faith community and charting them so they are easy to understand. The material is well organized and well written.

What pops out for me is that we all have variations of some basic personality
Mona
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read three other books on the Enneagram and taken various assessments to try to nail down which type I am (with wildly varying results), but this is the first book I've read that has helped me do so with some sense of accuracy. Love the focus on Jesus' words, "deny yourself, take up your cross and follow me."
This is one of my favorite books for deeper self-awareness and growth through intentional practices of the Enneagram. You can find your number and learn a new discipline.
Jaymie
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great resource! Really like her OWN-UP system for recognizing adaptive patterns and addressing them.
May 22, 2017
Lisa
May 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Grounds' Book...: "Self to Lose, Self to Find" 1 2 Jul 17, 2018 07:05AM
“This invitation [to deny oneself] is less about depriving the self, and more about disowning, or renouncing a relationship with the part of ourself that is not what God created us to be.” 0 likes