Start by marking “Body: A Biblical Spirituality for the Whole Person” as Want to Read:
Body: A Biblical Spirituality for the Whole Person

Body: A Biblical Spirituality for the Whole Person

There is a lurking Neo-Platonism in Christian thinking today. It assumes that there is a gaping hole between our inner and our outer selves and that the soul is to be seen as good while the body is bad. Gooder here explores six key concepts, especially from the writings of Paul, before exploring their implications for how we think and speak about our spirituality today.
Published November 1st 2016 by Augsburg Books

To ask other readers questions about Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body

Start your review of Body: A Biblical Spirituality for the Whole Person
David Meldrum
An excellent, short but significant, survey of an often under-considered area of Christian theology; how we understand our human bodies, and the way the body is used in Scripture. There is much here to chew on, and much that undermines the views of the body, the death of our bodies, what we understand by spirit and soul, and Biblical imagery such as Paul's use of the body in 1 Corinthians 12. Once understood, taught and worked out properly, much of the material in this book could be healing and ...more
Jill Hudson
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why do so many of us feel unhappy about our bodies? Shouldn’t Christians be more concerned about their souls? Do we even have souls? And what about spirits? Are spirits and souls the same thing? Do animals have them? What does the Bible really teach about what happens to them when we die? Paula Gooder tackles these and many similarly challenging questions head-on in this highly accessible yet deeply scholarly book. It isn’t long, but it is brilliantly clear and packs a genuine punch. I loved it.
Bryony
Josie
Mar 16, 2017
Jesse
Feb 08, 2018

• Faith for Exiles: Five Ways to Help Young Christians Be Resilient, Follow Jesus, and Live Differently in Digital Babylon
  • None Greater: The Undomesticated Attributes of God
  • The Ideas Industry: How Pessimists, Partisans, and Plutocrats Are Transforming the Marketplace of Ideas
  • The Ten Commandments of Progressive Christianity (Cruciform Quick Book 6)
  • Theological Retrieval for Evangelicals: Why We Need Our Past to Have a Future
  • On Death (How to Find God)
  • Emotional Intelligence 2.0
  • Rebel Ideas: The Power of Diverse Thinking
  • Dark Alphabet
  • Letters to the Church
  • One Good Turn (Jackson Brodie, #2)
  • Can Science Explain Everything?
  • In the Night Wood
  • The Anglican Evangelical Doctrine of Infant Baptism
  • Didn't See It Coming: Overcoming the Seven Greatest Challenges That No One Expects and Everyone Experiences
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
  • Dwellings: A Spiritual History of the Living World
  • Mano vardas - Marytė
Paula Gooder (DPhil, Oxford) is a writer and lecturer in biblical studies with a passion to ignite people's enthusiasm for reading the Bible today, by presenting the best of biblical scholarship in an accessible and interesting way. She works for the Church of England as the director of mission learning and development in the Birmingham Diocese.

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...