Start by marking “Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)

Procession of the Dead

(The City Trilogy #1)

Quick-witted and cocksure, young upstart Capac Raimi arrives in the City determined to make his mark. As he learns the tricks of his new trade from his Uncle Theo he's soon on his way to becoming a promising new gangster. Then he crosses paths with The Cardinal, and his life changes forever.
Published March 1st 2008 by Voyager (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Procession of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Procession of the Dead

Start your review of Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1), D.B. Shan
Procession of the Dead is a book written by Darren O'Shaughnessy (more commonly known by his pen-name Darren Shan) that was originally published in February 1999 in the UK under the name of Ayuamarca. It is the first book in The City Trilogy. It was re-released in March 2008 following Darren Shan's popularity under the new 'Procession' title.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوازدهم ماه ج.لای سال 2011 میلادی
عنوان: تجارت مرگ؛ نویسنده: دارن شان؛ مترجم:
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of crime novels, mob stories, suspense
Recommended to Brittany by: Harper Collins
How I Came To Read This Book: The fine folks at Harper Collins sent me an advance readers edition.

The Plot: Capac is a young man that's recently arrived in 'The City', where he quickly gets involved in his Uncle's life of crime. It doesn't take long for Capac to catch the eye of The Cardinal, the primo mob leader in town and the true force behind everything that happens in the city. However, as Capac continues a rather meteoric rise, he becomes increasingly aware of mysterious happenings and
Kevin
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K
A grim and gritty account of the rise of Capac Raimi, wannabe gangsta and mysterious man-with-no-past. It reads like Sin City (the movie)... cool and detached. Almost mechanical.

I liked:
~The Inca stuff. It was a subtle flavor (at first) but a refreshing one.
~The main character, Capac. Although his story shoots in an Annakin Skywalker direction, I was still pulling for him, all the way to the end, even through the bad choices and his personality changes. Actually, I enjoyed what the author was
Frances
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as unexamined
Shelves: novel, borrowed, crime, hiatus
I just cannot get into this one. Tried three times, and as of March 2, 2015, going to quietly return it to the library. Hope it suits others better.
Blake Fraina
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
If you enjoy the work of Neil Gaiman, you’ll probably find much to like in YA author Darren Shan’s first foray into adult speculative fiction. It follows the story of Capac Raimi, a young man without a past who travels to the big city to work with his uncle, a small time hood. This unnamed city is run by The Cardinal, a combination gangster/corrupt politico/vengeful god, who takes Raimi under his wing, educating him in the mysterious ways of the city while grooming him for bigger things.

The plot
Fizzelston
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the mystery and some of the world building elements!
The resolution of said mystery felt a bit... forced though. As most this resolution was giving trough dialogue instead of 'showing'.

The characters were.. Ok. Not really interesting, and felt more card box then human at certain points (/especially/ the female characters).
The Cardinal was great though! I love the tension, the mind fuckery and tricks he brought to the table. He was the reason why I kept reading.
Overal the book
A.C
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I'll found it both boring and interesting, not enough though to finish it. Just did not get a feeling for the "hero"
Hanna
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gory and thought-provoking. I love it!
Guy Haley
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Procession of the Dead is Shan’s first effort for adults, but this is its second chance. It was originally published as Ayuamarca in 1999, the first book of a trilogy that was never finished. This version was substantially re-edited for this release, and the trilogy finally completed.

Procession of the Dead is a brawler of a book, a violent mix of contemporary fantasy and gangster flick, set in a mysterious nowhere-city with Incan roots and American sensibilities. A dreamlike place with no name,
Christine
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For now, I'll just say that this book was just amazing. I was practically shouting words like, "Holy Shit!", or "Damn!" half the time I was reading it. I loved every bit of the book, from the Inca names and phrases, the mobster, and really, just the whole concept of the story. The book was shocking, riveting, and immensely fascinating. Capac was a character that I well loved, even if of course, he let his dark side win at the end. I just really loved this book, and I'm practically thanking every ...more
Lottie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this trilogy? It was pretty insane, you have to keep up but that's half the fun of reading. Shan really shows off with the interlacing points, the twists, the seemingly random events that completely throw how you look at the story.

Of course I ignored the adult label that came with them and was faced with things like a dildo wielding rapist that was eaten by Harpie cannibals but that's The City. To enjoy the books you have to embrace the weird and the wonderful. The puppets,
Bryndís
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf-d
OK, I give up. DNF, stopped at 44%. I'm sorry Darren Shan, I love you very much, but this book just doesn't do it for me. Nothing really happens. It's not scary, not thrilling, no suspension. There are some weird placed sex scenes, it doesn't really does anything for the story.

The second star is for the Conchita story, I liked that bit.
Allie
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Darren Shan's first adult book attempt and I've never read Cirque du Freak or his other YA series. I actually really loved it. It's weird and violent and creepy and meaningful and surreal. Just about everything I ever look for in a book.
Yunaa
SPOILER ALERT

not my cup of tea. I don't really dig some fantasy things. idk I thought this was a normal like real but at the end it's not. got some magic idk incan thingy?
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was pretty good. It had a few good twists and while one or two were expected most weren't. It was a little violent at times but overall a good read.
Blake
Jun 09, 2010 added it
Love it so far. A very surreal, graphic, fast pace, almost like reading an old noir crime novel but set in present day. Character development is awesome!
Ninth
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My brains- SOMERSAULT.

Review later...
Shan's done it again!
Abby
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was OK it did not have a very good story line but it is OK.
Carrie-Anne
3.5 Super intriguing, so much left to learn about
Melissa Porter
Jun 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Complete waste of time. Spent the entire book waiting for a point to be made, which never happened. Messed up book, don’t waste your time.
Saman
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was looking for the magic I have experienced in other works of Darren Shan, however I didn't find it.

To me it was a good story, but undeveloped, a little boring and still not a novel.
Sam Reader
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so the rundown is as follows: Procession of the Dead by Darren Shan is a brilliant, brutal, twisted crime story set in a massive nameless city full of green fog, strange characters, and enigmatic plots. The story follows the rise of Capac Raimi, a small-time gangster in The City who is taken under the wing of The Cardinal, an eccentric crime lord with an interest in fate, puppets, progress, and possibly world domination.

The book is strongest when talking about the city, with
Emma Rose
It’s really hard to talk about this book. Because honestly? I don’t want to give too much away.

This story is one that you cannot spoil beforehand. You need to go into this book knowing nothing about the twist – because when that twist hits, man, does it send you through a hurricane of emotions.

As such, I won’t delve too much into the plot of the book (needless to say, it is good.) And instead, I want to put a spotlight on the main character, Capac.

Even though this book is relatively short, it is
Mark A
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Finished the book over a few quick hours, but that's the only nice thing I can say about it.

The writing itself is very poor. The style was no more complicated than remedial high school. Sure, this is young adult and should be given some leeway, but I just found it distracting. The author relies too much on long, rambling exposition. Additionally, everything you learn is just stated outright - there is no discovery by inference. Too. Much. Spoon-feeding. This is quite disappointing in what is a
Annie
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: text
Procession of the Dead by Darren Shan: I can't say I enjoyed it that much. It's ostensibly about a young man moving to the city to find his fortune in the world of organised crime. The first person point of view was difficult to relate to at the start, since the protagonist idolises a sadistic tyrant and glorifies criminal activity. The City is unnamed and clearly not a real one, so the occasional real-world references felt very jarring. The main plot takes a very long time to get going - ...more
Jana
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The city trilogy are the last 3 books by Darren Shan/Darren Dash that I haven't read yet (obviously I have finished the first one now ^^') and I was super excited going into this because I liked every other book by him so far. The beginning though was slow and a little boring for me, because gangster stories aren't really my cup of tea. But the story got interesting after the first third due to the beginning weirdness and mysteriousness I love about Shan's stories.
The city and its inhabitants
IndigoInsane
I haven't read any of the author's previous books. But, I very much understood that this is his first non-YA novel because it shows quite a bit in the writing style. Simple, and in the first half suffers very badly from telling instead of showing, and long moments of other characters or Capac info dumping. I'm not sure if this would have been better as a short story or another 100 pages longer, I feel like I read the worst of both. Despite this, moments were very interesting and the premise is ...more
Zena Gavin
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was gripping, exciting, and I could not put it down! My main complaint is that I was disappointed in the way it ended. To me, the turn of events seemed to directly conflict with Capac's character development through the whole story.

Apart from that, I loved the inclusion of mythology (whether it was legitimate or not) and how the story always keeps you guessing. I'm hoping the mystery of the Incan villacs develop in book two. It may not be a book I would read twice, but overall I loved
Danique van Dijk
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Thin Executioner
  • Lord Loss (The Demonata, #1)
  • Zom-B
  • Blood Beast (The Demonata, #5)
  • Lady of the Shades
  • Demon Apocalypse (The Demonata, #6)
  • Demon Thief (The Demonata, #2)
  • Dark Calling (The Demonata, #9)
  • Wolf Island (The Demonata, #8)
  • Bec (The Demonata, #4)
  • Slawter (The Demonata, #3)
  • Birth of a Killer (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, #1)
  • Hell's Heroes (The Demonata, #10)
  • Vampire Mountain (Cirque Du Freak, #4)
  • Death's Shadow (The Demonata, #7)
  • Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidon's Children, #1)
  • Raven's Gate (The Gatekeepers, #1)
  • Netherwood (Eve Williams, #1)
Alternate pen name for Darren Shan.

The City Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)
“Two words came to mind as I sat back and summed him up. They were cold and blooded.” 8 likes
“As for advice—write as much as you can! Time’s ticking, and if you don’t throw everything you have into your stories today, you might find yourself on the wrong side of THE END tomorrow!” 1 likes