Start by marking “Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1)

Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  2,275 Ratings  ·  240 Reviews
Quick-witted and cocksure, young upstart Capac Raimi arrives in the City determined to make his mark. As he learns the tricks of his new trade from his Uncle Theo he's soon on his way to becoming a promising new gangster. Then he crosses paths with The Cardinal, and his life changes forever.
Published March 1st 2008 by Voyager (first published March 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Procession of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Procession of the Dead

Ahmad Sharabiani
Procession of the Dead (The City Trilogy, #1), D.B. Shan
Procession of the Dead is a book written by Darren O'Shaughnessy (more commonly known by his pen-name Darren Shan) that was originally published in February 1999 in the UK under the name of Ayuamarca. It is the first book in The City Trilogy. It was re-released in March 2008 following Darren Shan's popularity under the new 'Procession' title.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوازدهم ماه ج.لای سال 2011 میلادی
عنوان: تجارت مرگ؛ نویسنده: دارن شان؛ مترجم: میت
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of crime novels, mob stories, suspense
Recommended to Brittany by: Harper Collins
How I Came To Read This Book: The fine folks at Harper Collins sent me an advance readers edition.

The Plot: Capac is a young man that's recently arrived in 'The City', where he quickly gets involved in his Uncle's life of crime. It doesn't take long for Capac to catch the eye of The Cardinal, the primo mob leader in town and the true force behind everything that happens in the city. However, as Capac continues a rather meteoric rise, he becomes increasingly aware of mysterious happenings and dis
K
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anti-hero
A grim and gritty account of the rise of Capac Raimi, wannabe gangsta and mysterious man-with-no-past. It reads like Sin City (the movie)... cool and detached. Almost mechanical.

I liked:
~The Inca stuff. It was a subtle flavor (at first) but a refreshing one.
~The main character, Capac. Although his story shoots in an Annakin Skywalker direction, I was still pulling for him, all the way to the end, even through the bad choices and his personality changes. Actually, I enjoyed what the author was su
Mehrdad Mb
May 01, 2017 rated it liked it
اولین کتاب از سه گانه شهر تو یه شهر خیالی که توسط گانگستر ها اداره میشه و در راس اونها یه دیکتاتور خودساخته به اسم کاردینال وجود داره. کتاب بیشتر به نظر می رسه ژانر جنایی - معمایی باشه تا ژانر فانتزی که دارن شان کتاباش رو تو این سبک مینویسه. بطوریکه تا اواسط کتاب اصلا المان های سبک فانتزی توش به چشم نمی خوره. اما رفته رفته کتاب به اون سمت سوق پیدا می کنه. لحن کتاب خیلی خوبه و آدم رو درگیر خودش می کنه. داستان قوی و چند لایه دنبال میشه ولی کتاب میتونست پایان قوی تری داشته باشه. فضای کتاب وجه مشترک ...more
Frances
Feb 10, 2015 marked it as unexamined
Shelves: borrowed, crime, hiatus
I just cannot get into this one. Tried three times, and as of March 2, 2015, going to quietly return it to the library. Hope it suits others better.
Blake Fraina
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
If you enjoy the work of Neil Gaiman, you’ll probably find much to like in YA author Darren Shan’s first foray into adult speculative fiction. It follows the story of Capac Raimi, a young man without a past who travels to the big city to work with his uncle, a small time hood. This unnamed city is run by The Cardinal, a combination gangster/corrupt politico/vengeful god, who takes Raimi under his wing, educating him in the mysterious ways of the city while grooming him for bigger things.

The plot
Hanna
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gory and thought-provoking. I love it!
Guy Haley
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Procession of the Dead is Shan’s first effort for adults, but this is its second chance. It was originally published as Ayuamarca in 1999, the first book of a trilogy that was never finished. This version was substantially re-edited for this release, and the trilogy finally completed.

Procession of the Dead is a brawler of a book, a violent mix of contemporary fantasy and gangster flick, set in a mysterious nowhere-city with Incan roots and American sensibilities. A dreamlike place with no name,
Жанна Пояркова
Занимательный результат скрещивания гангстерского романа и небольшого количества мистики. Как гангстерский роман слишком схематичный, как городское фэнтези - недостаточно занимательный, но в качестве гибрида хорошо работает. Капак Райми приезжает в город, где правит криминальный босс Кардинал. Кардиналу принадлежит все, и молодой рвач готов взобраться вверх по предлагаемой лестнице. Но оказывается, что Кардинал придает слишком много значения приметам и совпадениям, в кабинете у него висят странн ...more
Christine
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
For now, I'll just say that this book was just amazing. I was practically shouting words like, "Holy Shit!", or "Damn!" half the time I was reading it. I loved every bit of the book, from the Inca names and phrases, the mobster, and really, just the whole concept of the story. The book was shocking, riveting, and immensely fascinating. Capac was a character that I well loved, even if of course, he let his dark side win at the end. I just really loved this book, and I'm practically thanking every ...more
Lottie
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this trilogy? It was pretty insane, you have to keep up but that's half the fun of reading. Shan really shows off with the interlacing points, the twists, the seemingly random events that completely throw how you look at the story.

Of course I ignored the adult label that came with them and was faced with things like a dildo wielding rapist that was eaten by Harpie cannibals but that's The City. To enjoy the books you have to embrace the weird and the wonderful. The puppets,
Allie
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Darren Shan's first adult book attempt and I've never read Cirque du Freak or his other YA series. I actually really loved it. It's weird and violent and creepy and meaningful and surreal. Just about everything I ever look for in a book.
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2004
I thought this book was pretty good. It had a few good twists and while one or two were expected most weren't. It was a little violent at times but overall a good read.
A.C
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I'll found it both boring and interesting, not enough though to finish it. Just did not get a feeling for the "hero"
Blake
Jun 09, 2010 added it
Love it so far. A very surreal, graphic, fast pace, almost like reading an old noir crime novel but set in present day. Character development is awesome!
Ninth
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: darren-shan
My brains- SOMERSAULT.

Review later...
Shan's done it again!
Sam Reader
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
      Okay, so the rundown is as follows: Procession of the Dead by Darren Shan is a brilliant, brutal, twisted crime story set in a massive nameless city full of green fog, strange characters, and enigmatic plots. The story follows the rise of Capac Raimi, a small-time gangster in The City who is taken under the wing of The Cardinal, an eccentric crime lord with an interest in fate, puppets, progress, and possibly world domination.

The book is strongest when talking about the
Jenn
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eh, it was ok.
Emma Rose
It’s really hard to talk about this book. Because honestly? I don’t want to give too much away.

This story is one that you cannot spoil beforehand. You need to go into this book knowing nothing about the twist – because when that twist hits, man, does it send you through a hurricane of emotions.

As such, I won’t delve too much into the plot of the book (needless to say, it is good.) And instead, I want to put a spotlight on the main character, Capac.

Even though this book is relatively short, it is
IndigoInsane
I haven't read any of the author's previous books. But, I very much understood that this is his first non-YA novel because it shows quite a bit in the writing style. Simple, and in the first half suffers very badly from telling instead of showing, and long moments of other characters or Capac info dumping. I'm not sure if this would have been better as a short story or another 100 pages longer, I feel like I read the worst of both. Despite this, moments were very interesting and the premise is o ...more
Runed Platypus
Nov 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Почему-то при чтении, перед глазами постоянно возникал образ этого парня.

Для тех кто хочет почитать аниме о гангстерах.
Дропнул на 1/4.
Bryndís
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OK, I give up. DNF, stopped at 44%. I'm sorry Darren Shan, I love you very much, but this book just doesn't do it for me. Nothing really happens. It's not scary, not thrilling, no suspension. There are some weird placed sex scenes, it doesn't really does anything for the story.

The second star is for the Conchita story, I liked that bit.
Saman Habibi Esfahani
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was looking for the magic I have experienced in other works of Darren Shan, however I didn't find it.

To me it was a good story, but undeveloped, a little boring and still not a novel.
Jerry King
Sep 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
1999
Yunaa
SPOILER ALERT

not my cup of tea. I don't really dig some fantasy things. idk I thought this was a normal like real but at the end it's not. got some magic idk incan thingy?
Abby
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
It was OK it did not have a very good story line but it is OK.
Michaela
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I didn't understand at all where this was going... but after chapter two, it gripped me...

I needed to know everything about Capac, but the answers kept me waiting until the very end!

It might not be demon scary, but it's still amazing and in some ways more realistic than any story I've ever read... it would explain a lot of inhuman horror that has been going on the last few years...

If you haven't read it, go find it, and be amazed!

Mr. Shan, you've done it again!
A.G
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone willing to give it a chance, fans of crime/gangster-esque novels, shan fans
Recommended to A.G by: Myself
first proper goodreads review *bites fingernails*

I swear I have been waiting for this book for my entire life.

Plot:
(too lazy to make up a summary of my own so here- have the one that is on the back of my book):

Quick-witted and cocksure, young upstart Capac Raimi arrives in the City determined to make his mark as a gangster. Then he crosses paths with The Cardinal, and his life changes forever.

The Cardinal is the City and the City is The Cardinal. They are joined at the soul. Nothing moves on th
Matthew
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Cardinal is the City and the City is The Cardinal.

His rule is absolute.

Just when you don't think you can be surprised anymore...

Along comes Darren Shan!

Going into Procession of the Dead, I expected something along the lines of Shan's adult story (written under the name of Darren Dash), The Evil And The Pure, the blurb just gives me those kind of vibes. Well, while this entry into the author's catalogue shares the dark and gritty elements The Evil And The Pure has, it's a journey all of its o
Emon
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! 1st book I finished reading in 2016. How exciting.
Okay let's get on with the book shall we? We shall.

animated gifs photo: deerpopcorn.gif

If you are looking for amazing reviews, I'm not the one you are looking for, OKAY?

Procession of the Dead is one of the best books I've read. I read few books from Darren Shan already. I LOVED The Thin Executioner but this book, it definitely tops it!

I loved, gasped, screamed, shout and nearly cried reading this book.

It starts with the main character, Capac Raimi telling us the
  • Lady of the Shades

The City Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hell's Horizon (The City Trilogy, #2)
  • City of the Snakes (The City Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
  • Nova
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Tales of the Hidden World
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Two words came to mind as I sat back and summed him up. They were cold and blooded.” 7 likes
“As for advice—write as much as you can! Time’s ticking, and if you don’t throw everything you have into your stories today, you might find yourself on the wrong side of THE END tomorrow!” 1 likes