Start by marking “A Hasty Betrothal” as Want to Read:
A Hasty Betrothal

A Hasty Betrothal

A Practical Proposal

Though Lady Elizabeth Wayland would rather spend her days with her beloved books than an uncaring spouse, scandal forces her to find a match posthaste. To escape the scoundrel who almost ruined her, Elizabeth accepts an unconventional proposal from a childhood friend. But when she finds herself falling for her husband-to-be, will she be able to convince
Published August 1st 2016 by Love Inspired Historicals

To ask other readers questions about A Hasty Betrothal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hasty Betrothal

Start your review of A Hasty Betrothal
Kav
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Squeeeeaaaalllllllll!!!! A bibliophile heroine in Regency England -- can it get any better than that? Never mind the hero, I was swooning over Elizabeth's love of reading! "I simply want you to understand the great scope of stories. Their extraordinary ability to draw out the imagination, to teach life lessons and to inspire one to greater heights of creativity." (p 188) Yes! I love Elizabeth! Even though she finds it "very exhausting to be the heroine of her own story." (p. 279) I personally f
Emily
Quick romance that I read because I love the time period, and hey, she loves books!

The premise was excellent, and I enjoyed parts of it, but for the most part, the characters got on my nerve. I DID however love the subplot with the children, and the moral wrestling involved with that. I thought the author handled that beautifully.
Brittany
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love stories set in the Regency time period! A Hasty Betrothal is a beautiful example of clean Regency fiction that is witty and romantic. I absolutely loved these two main characters and the situation they found themselves in. It was so easy to want them to both find the best in life, especially knowing the scars that they each carried.

Lady Elizabeth had a lot of inner uncertainty due to a very obvious birthmark. She weathered many hurtful gazes and comments in her young life. Miles carried h
Mandi
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“How very exhausting to be the heroine in one’s own story.” Haha, yes it is! 😂😜

In the time of the ton, Elizabeth has a birth mark on her face causing others to stare. Because of the uncomfortableness, she loves books so much more than doing life.

“For that is all she wanted to do tonight. Curl up in a chair and find another world in which the heroine won the hero, in which he felt for her as she did for him. A world in which the story ended as it should, with the villain destroyed and the hero t
Ashley
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth serves as a strong lead with an even stronger love of reading who refuses to let anyone hold her back, including herself? I found her to be an extremely relatable character in this and many other ways. While all of us do not have such an obvious reason for self-consciousness, it is still something that all of us struggle with. Miles is an unlikely hero for our bibliophile heroine, yet their attempts at avoiding love land them squarely in one another's path. The marriage of "convenience ...more
TheOtherWinchester
Full disclosure, I got this book as a free gift from Harlequin after sending in a slip thing, but they didn't specifically choose me to send it to for review or anything.

This was a pretty cute story. Parts of it were predictable, but there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's still enjoyable, and it was still enjoyable. It's about a hasty marriage of convenience between two people, so the woman could avoid becoming a "ruined woman" in the public eye, which is an annoying idea, but it also
Bonnie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Hasty Betrothal by Jessica Nelson. Miles Hawthorne is a widower and vows never to marry again and he owns several cotton mills. One he just purchased and is trying to bring it up to standard. There are children working at this plant. He wants to change that.

When childhood friend Lady Elizabeth Wayland is at a party she goes to the garden by herself. A man follows her and tries kissing her. Miles follows and knocks him down to protect Elizabeth. The bad guy spreads rumors about Elizabeth. Mile
Jeanette Levellie
Delightful and worthwhile.

In addition to being delightfully entertained by Jessica Nelson's stories, I always learn something from her expert weaving of history throughout her books. This time it was the inner workings of a textile factory and how it affected both employees and workers.
I loved Miles and Bitt and was entranced by their story. Although much like a roller coaster ride, the happy ending made up for all the careening about! I highly recommend this delightful novel.
nidah05 (SleepDreamWrite)
First off that cover. Saw this at a bookstore and it sounded interesting. The two characters of Elizabeth and Miles I liked. There was some good moments and some frustrating moments.

You grow to like the characters and their arcs throughout the book. And one of them being a bookworm.

For some reason, I imagined Miles as Dan Stevens. A quick but really good read.
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet love story that I didn’t want to end! I don’t recall how I stumbled upon this book but I fell in love with the characters and the story. I would really like to hear more about Bitt and Miles.
Any chance of a part 2, Ms. Nelson?
Alisha Grant
the bookworm n the realist clashing n annoying at times but a charming read
Lisa
This had more depth than I had anticipated.
Rachel
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it!
Casey
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best of this genre I've ever read. Much more realistic than some of the other novels I've read through this publisher, but still sweet and romantic.
Briana LS
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4stars
micki
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm probably rating this higher than it deserves because I read a few really disappointing romances recently, but oh well. It's an okay, VERY chaste Regency romance. Seriously, they BARELY kiss a total of 2 or 3 times. Don't get me wrong, Jane Austen is in my top 3 favorite authors so I don't *need* my romances to be explicit, but it helps because most most authors are no Jane Austen.

Also, leaving aside any personal beliefs I may have, I found the references to God and prayer rather awkwardly in
Chowbella1
Sep 23, 2016
Dana K
Mar 01, 2020
Astral
rated it did not like it
May 04, 2020
Mia Barr
Aug 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 May 10, 2016 12:37PM

• More Than Words Can Say (Patchwork Family, #2)
  • More Than Meets the Eye (Patchwork Family, #1)
  • The Painter's Daughter
  • Lakeshire Park
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
  • A Bride for Keeps (Unexpected Brides, #1)
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • A Sensible Arrangement (Lone Star Brides, #1)
  • A Bride of Convenience (The Bride Ships, #3)
  • The Governess of Penwythe Hall (Cornwall, #1)
  • Vying for the Viscount (Hearts on the Heath)
  • Love Unexpected (Beacons of Hope, #1)
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • Searching for You (Orphan Train, #3)
  • Letters for Phoebe (Promise of Forever After #1)
  • The Husband Campaign
  • The Lieutenant's Bargain (Fort Reno, #2)
  • Summer of Promise (Westward Winds, #1)
My heart is filled with romantic stories, my shelves are loaded with chocolate and my lips are always longing for one more cup of Starbucks. Besides that, I write for Love Inspired Historical and am a happy mom to a bunch of little boys. I love connecting with readers and writers.

News & Interviews