Start by marking “The Mountain Lion” as Want to Read:
The Mountain Lion

The Mountain Lion

Coming of age in pre-World War II California and Colorado brings tragedy to Molly and Ralph Fawcett in Jean Stafford's classic semi-autobiographical novel, first published in 1947. Torn between their mother's world of genteel respectability and their grandfather's and uncle's world of cowboy masculinity, neither Molly nor Ralph can find an acceptable adult role to aspire t ...more
Published January 1st 1992 by University of Texas Press (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Mountain Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountain Lion

Start your review of The Mountain Lion
Mariel
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: carve your name into a tree
Recommended to Mariel by: how the west was won and where it got me
Diane Barnes
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whoa! I was totally unprepared for that ending! Still processing that, but magnificent prose and powers of description leading up to it. English teachers would have a field day with the symbolism in this novel, and Stafford's ability to get into the mind of children and adolescents is uncanny. This book can be hard to find, but Library of America just issued a volume with 3 of her novels, so I am eagerly anticipating the other 2. Incredible.
lark benobi
Perfect, but also, perfectly upsetting.

This novel belongs on a very short shelf of novels written for adults that remind us of what a feral and terrifying experience it is to be a child.* I'm very unsettled just now at the power of Stafford's vision. I'm glad I'm not in total agreement with her nihilistic take on family life, because I wouldn't want to live that way. My relative faith in people, when compared with Stafford, doesn't keep me from recognizing this novel as a stunningly artful stor
Michelle
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Complicated (but told in a remarkably straightforward style), sad, strange, wise, and always compelling, The Mountain Lion is frequently categorized as a coming-of-age novel. But brothers, sisters, genteel mothers, portraits of dead grandfathers, the lingering scars of scarlet fever, and the limited use that a Colorado cattle ranch (or the west in general) has for a smart, artistic and sickly young girl-- all of these things add up to ensure that nobody ever really comes of age in this novel.

In
Dax
I was expecting a coming-of-age story set in the beautiful mountains of Colorado: a pleasant jaunt as two siblings battled the confusion of growing out of childhood. What we get instead is a disturbing story of two kids on different trajectories: one accepting the path to adulthood and the other clinging to childhood and the desire to isolate herself from humanity.

The writing is fantastic. Stafford can switch perspectives mid-sentence which I found to be a lot of fun. The ending is wholly unexp
gwayle
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-west
Jean Stafford doesn't pull her punches in this California-Colorado coming of age. Awkward and sickly siblings Ralph and Molly are inseparable and co-dependent until they start to spend summers with their uncle Claude in Colorado, where Ralph pulls away from their insular, shared world in favor of the virile camaraderie of his uncle and his uncle's ranch hands. The author deftly alternates between the siblings' two viewpoints, and their thoughts and feelings have dream-like, breathtaking intensit ...more
Kim
This is a wonderful hidden gem -- I couldn't put it down. Luminous descriptions of sibling rivalry in the 1940s in a middle-class home in California and then on a cattle ranch in Colorado. Excellent portrayal of the inner drama of adolescence without any psychobabble. Straightforward writing, eminently readable, and totally unpretentious. This should be required reading for all high school seniors.
Lea
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't a coming of age story, even though it focuses on two siblings growing up/growing apart. I did not expect the sister to be quite so odd and I thought I'd like her and the brother more than I did. However, this is very well-written and engaging, quite unique, and I got very sad for the both of them. There were some passages that I felt the need to highlight and copy, which is always a good sign.

It's always cool to find more female authors from the past, and I definitely would like to r
Matthew
Sensational writing. A razor-edged, malevolent masterpiece.
Annie
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: colorado
----------GENERAL THOUGHTS----------

Wow, what a remarkably freaky little book.

In the beginning, it has a quaint, old-timey, homespun feel—like Mark Twain, or the Boxcar Children books.

… and then it doesn’t. In any way. Suddenly there’s sex and incestuous thoughts and death and just really fucked up, Kafkaesque distortions of the flesh. It’s *great.*

-------------PLOT SUMMARY-------------

Ralph (10) and Molly (8) are the two youngest of the Fawcett family: they have two older sisters, Leah and Rac
Sonya
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2019, 2019
The Mountain Lion is a slim novel, bouncing back and forth between the two main characters, a brother and sister who are bonded together and seem throughout to be united in their contempt for other people, especially their mother and older sisters. The portrait of these characters is not to elicit sympathy, but to draw on the deep well of loneliness and a dawning realization of what growing up can mean. Most of the book takes place in the Colorado mountains during the 1930s; the children take di ...more
Amy
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books
Flat declarative writing that somehow manages to be sharply photographic a the same time. Someone said this is a 'not coming-of-age' tale. Someone else talks about the absence of 'psychobabble' in the observations of these developing children. Ditto.

Captivated by sentences like "The smoke from Winifred's cigarette went straight up and then opened out into a horn like a blue lily." and "Once out in the bright green meadows of the valley he thought he would be safe from the thoughts that swarmed a
Sutter Lee
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's been 20 years since I read this, after a friend lent me his copy, with praise for Stafford as his favorite novelist. I then read some of her other novels and short stories, but cannot recall which ones. I've been unable to remember her name, only Jean, and a title with the word Lion. I wrote to him last night (he's in his early 80s, so thank goodness he's still alive and has all his marbles (I knew he was/did -- is/does) and he immediately wrote back. What I really remember is Stafford's in ...more
Janet
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The two children that are the main characters of this book are so emotionally disturbed that it was sometimes hard to relate to them. Also, since this book was written in the 1940's some of the racially derogatory words were problematical and made the book seem dated. However, the ending, which I won't divulge, came as such a surprise that I gave the book 4 stars.
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any and all
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Malena Watrous
Jean Stafford, another dark genius who should be read widely. She nails the awkwardness of adolescence and the changing relationship of a misfit sister and brother. I will take the image of a pair of ram skulls locked at the antlers to my grave.
Sasha Martinez
Jean Stafford‘s introduction to her 1947 novel, The Mountain Lion, closes with: “Poor old Molly! I loved her dearly and [spoiler spoiler spoiler].” That never augurs well. You begin the novel wary of tragedy, anticipating brokenness and all-around disaster. That you feel, even within the first few pages, that it shall all lead to you bawling in a shady corner. I know I let out one of those hoarse/squeaky screams in a crowded train when I reached the book’s end. But we’re getting ahead of ourselv ...more
Rose
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Portrait of the artist as a young woman. And man, was she effed-up. So judgmental, so mean, so brilliant. Like Jean Stafford in her own youth, Molly Fawcett has one friend, her brother. At first Molly and Ralph are soul twins, though he is slightly more conventional and begins to chafe at her oddness. For a while, she cares for nothing but him, yet she seems to feel that her vocation, to be a writer, demands much of her from a very early age. The children live in a California household that Moll ...more
Kellyzen
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
I did not necessarily like this book but I respected it a lot. (I have a hard time with any book that is rugged or western in general -- maybe because I am an liberal East Coast elite? -- so my lack of emotional connection is perhaps not surprising. I do have an affinity for well-drawn and deeply unlikable characters, though, which this book delivered in spades.) Whatever your literary preferences, this is undeniably a very well-crafted and masterfully written book. I'm glad I read it even thoug ...more
Williwaw
I would probably never have known about this book unless I had signed up for an email subscription to promotions from New York Review Books. Occasionally, they have a sale and I'm influenced to buy a few books which I ordinarily would not buy.

Jean Stafford is, I think, best known for her short stories. I'm not sure that I have ever read one, though. So I believe that this is my intro to Stafford.

She's very skillful at drawing characters. Her sentences are well-polished and never overly intricate
freckledbibliophile
The Mountain Lion was a book masterfully written and weird at the same time. I was ingrained with the back and forth narrative between two siblings- A coming of age tale about the awkwardness of sister Molly and brother Stafford.

I read this book in less than twenty-four hours. Still, I was quite emotionally disturbed just like the minds of the brother and sister duo after I completed the book. What was most troubling was the unexpected ending. Molly, oh Molly.

Although I read this narrative and
Nan
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a strange tale of growing up and not growing up, of adultish children and childish adults, of how you have to kill something in yourself to survive. I loved the landscapes, the lippia fields, the harebells, the red sand of Garland Peak, the train ride from Denver to Uncle Claude's high-country ranch, the tunnels that probably never existed. Stafford has a way of tipping her reader from a world most realistic to a world most surreal. I was more than willing to go for the ride.
Meaghan
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
That ending fucked me up.
Featherbooks
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mountain Lion by Jean Stafford is stunning in terms of prose and story in its beautiful evocation of California and Colorado settings, but most memorably in relating the disgust of children for adults. When her brother's lascivious remark passes the line from childhood to adulthood, ("he has literally beat a rivet of hatred into my heart by a remark he passed on the train today") ten-year-old Molly, two years younger than Ralph, despises him and their special bond is broken. Molly is a fanta ...more
Jennyb
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-best-women
I didn't dislike The Mountain Lion, but I am a bit baffled by it. It's about a young boy named Ralph and his cantankerous sister Molly growing up out West shortly after WWII. At the time, Los Angeles was still surrounded by orchards and groves, and these refined Easterners struggled to maintain their dainty civilities in the face of rustic Western ways. Ralph and Molly are caught in the middle, between East and West, daintiness and hardiness, between youth and adulthood. Their united front falte ...more
Kat
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful, powerful, weird. It lures you in with a very matter of fact story of two siblings in 1940s California. But then... I am so glad this is a book club book and I will get to talk about it with wiser friends. I have so many questions... But the book affected me very strongly.
Derek
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's impossible to explain my four rather than five stars without a spoiler. Suffice it to say that for years I've meant to read Stafford's novel and am glad that I finally did. NYRB Classics are always provocative.
Myfanwy
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading in preparation for Dead Writers Book Group in October: http://deadwritersbookgroup.wordpress...

(my god, what an ending!).
Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ...
After reading Stafford's Pulitzer Prize winning collection of stories I went straight to my library's website and checked out the audiobook of this novel mainly because I live in a small town in the Colorado mountains and do not find many books that remind me of home. I see this one labeled a coming of age story often, but nobody comes of age so I believe that is wrong. This is a very adult book about children and the difficulties of childhood.

The Mountain Lion tells the story of a brother and s
David Rosario
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
E
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jean Stafford is a mostly forgotten midcentury American author. This is her most well-known novel, but she is best known for her short stories; one such collection won the Pulitzer Prize. The novel is written from the perspective of two children, but it decidedly not a children's novel. They are raised by their widowed mother on a farm in Southern California but eventually begin to take summers at an uncle's Colorado ranch.

This basic plot is subservient to the explorations of how our family shap
« previous 1 3 4 next »
NYRB Classics: This topic has been closed to new comments. December 2014: The Mountain Lion 17 48 Dec 19, 2014 09:16PM
NYRB Classics: The Mountain Lion, by Jean Stafford 1 7 Oct 29, 2013 09:22AM

• Real Life
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Ice
  • The Violent Bear It Away
Jean Stafford was an American short story writer and novelist, who won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for The Collected Stories of Jean Stafford in 1970.

News & Interviews

“He whirled round and round in his rapid love; it pricked him on the breastbone like a needle. He wanted to be shut up in a small space to think about it. He wanted to grab it and eat it like an apple so that nobody else could have it.” 2 likes