Start by marking “The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Valiant (The Valiant, #1)

The Valiant (The Valiant #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  3,124 Ratings  ·  749 Reviews
Princess. Captive. Gladiator.

Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king, the sister of the legendary warrior Sorcha, and the sworn enemy of Julius Caesar.

When Fallon was a child, Caesar’s armies invaded her homeland, and her beloved sister was killed in battle.

Now, on the eve of her seventeenth birthday, Fallon is eager to follow in her sister’s footsteps and earn her p
Published February 14th 2017 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Valiant, please sign up.

Paloma I was just looking into that now. I originally planned to wait the full six weeks to make sure it didn't arrive a few hours or days after I had put…moreI was just looking into that now. I originally planned to wait the full six weeks to make sure it didn't arrive a few hours or days after I had put that I didn't receive it. If I haven't gotten by Friday, I will be contacting somebody about it.(less)

Regan
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5
Cait • A Page with a View
4.5 stars. Definitely check out this book if you liked Throne of Glass or An Ember in the Ashes!! It's a really fun YA historical fiction story (very little fantasy) about a group of badass teen female gladiatrices in ancient Rome.

Fallon starts out as the fierce warrior daughter of a Celtic king. She just wants to make her own name in battle and be named a warrior chief, but then she's kidnapped and sold as a gladiatrix in Rome. Her older sister who trained her to fight was killed by the Romans,
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

I bloody freaking loved this book! ❤

The first book in this series/trilogy/dualogy is amazing!

Fallon is in training to become one of her father's war chiefs. She's in love with an awesome guy named Mael and everything is looking perfect. But it isn't and it all falls apart.

Fallon is taken and sold into slavery which ends up getting her into a school to train to become a gl
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
4.5 stars*
I thoroughly enjoyed this! It showed strong female characters in an interesting time period and seemed to be very well researched.
Review to come on publication date.

*received ARC for review from Indigo*
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A spark somewhere deep inside of me flared to life. The tiniest blue flame, with nothing of tinder to catch onto except the delusional hope that I could somehow fight my way back to freedom.

Female gladiators fighting in the arena in ancient Rome. It sounds like a myth - a completely made up tale. The truth is..there is actual evidence of female gladiators (gladiatrices). They really existed. The problem is there is very little evidence and we don’t actually know much. Especially in comparison
Candace Robinson
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I love gladiators, and the fact that they were female was pretty awesome! There was a lot of action, and there was some romance which felt odd and out of place. Overall, this book was fun! Full review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20...
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars BADASS GIRL GLADIATORS. Does that sound amazing? Guess what--it's even more awesome than it sounds.

I was lucky enough to read an early galley, but review to come from the ARC. With any luck, this thing will be a monster success. It deserves it.
Alyssa
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-releases
4.5 stars. To round up, or to round down... let's see how my review goes. =)

EDIT: I rounded up. :D

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Valiant by Lesley Livingston
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: February 14, 2017
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss/ARC

Summary (from Goodreads):

Lost to history, the story of the female gladiator has never been told. Until now.

Fallon is the daughter of a proud Celtic king and the younger sister of the legendary warrior Sorcha. When Fallon w
sreeja
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
“There is only forward. Only tomorrow. No yesterday, no going back. And nothing of value is left behind, so nothing is truly lost.”

The Valiant started out slow and frankly was quite boring in the beginning. The amount of development that happened was honestly amazing and I’m glad I pulled through the first few chapters that were literally killing me. The main fighting didn’t really start till late into the book but at least the middle wasn’t as boring as the first part.The plot was the main th
Coreen ♥ (AsThePlotThickens)
"I will endure to be burned . . . to be bound . . . to be beaten . . . and to be killed by the sword."

This was a promising start to a new series, the fact that it was about the female gladiators of Ancient Rome made it even more interesting. I never knew that such thing existed.
The Valiant, was one of those books that once you started, you could never put down. You could easily get lost to the author's writing style and be absorbed by the world that you've been reading.

Fallon, was a strong f
Nicole
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading "The Valiant" in a buddy read with my dear friend, Antonia.

I was reading Magic Study earlier last week and while the plot was nothing impressive, I still gave it 4 stars because of the characters. I knew that good characters are more important to me than an exciting plot but I wondered, how can I be so sure? It's been a long while since I read a book that enjoyed without hating nor loving any of the MCs, a book solely based on a plot-driven story. Ironically, I read this book
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/12/...

What an amazing surprise this was! Though to be honest, I had no idea what to expect at first, only that from the moment I saw the book description for The Valiant, I knew I had to read it. I make it no secret that I am fascinated with anything to do with Ancient Rome, and so historical fiction set in this time period is like an instant Mogsy magnet. And secondly, FEMALE GLADIATORS.

The story follows Fallon, daughter of a
Jill
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75

This book was overall a ton of fun and super interesting. It takes place in Rome during the reign and Julius Ceasar and it was interesting to see Livingston's take on these historical figures. While I do question the authenticity of these interpretations, it was fun to see Ceasar and Cleopatra actually be characters in this book.

I did have accept the fact that this book was not the most historically accurate thing in the world and it has a lot of plot holes in my opinion. I felt like lots
Lucia
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the idea of teenage gladiatrix, but beside unique premise, plot-wise this novel didn’t offer anything new. Some parts were okay, others dragged and it took forever to actually get to gladiator fights.

However, my biggest complaint is with „forbidden“ romance between Fallon and Cai. It was underdeveloped and unbelievable and for me it was the weakest feature of this novel. Story would probably work better without it. Female friendship and sisterhood
Katrin D
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was perfection and I will find the time to write a proper review, because I need to share everything I felt.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
Feb 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ page 150

I have never been so bored in my entire life. Working through 150 pages was torture, but then I skipped ahead to see if it got better, bumped into the plot twist I called from the first page, and decided it was better if I just let it go.

The Valiant isn't what I thought it would be. I might pick it up again in the future, but for now:

[image error]
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

I'm not quite sure what I just read...but I both liked and disliked this book.

Overall?? Very underwhelmed. Boo.
mich
This author has no clue - NO CLUE - of how to build a romantic relationship between her characters. Both times came out of fricken nowhere, and the "main" one was the worst. A handful of conversations and then they're in love? Psshh, oh please.

This book has catchy hooks, no doubt about that. Female gladiators, being forced to fight for your enemy, forbidden love, revenge. ALL GOOD THINGS. But Livingston took all that awesome stuff and totally butchered it with her crappy writing style, uneven p
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
*Thank you to Penguin Teen for providing me with an ARC*

Rating ~3.5
So happy I was able to finish this before the official release date, just like I'd hoped lol

*Detailed Review to Come*
Katiria
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-books
*** Review The Valiant on Kati's Bookaholic Rambling Reviews ***

I've been seeing mix reviews about this book but I read a high praising review from a friend of mine on her blog. Which I had to pick it up because me and my friend have similar taste in books but I did have low expectation with The Valiant at first. But Ohh my I am so glad and happy that I decided to pick this book out from the library because I absolutely loved and enjoyed it. I can totally
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨

This looks interesting. Requested from Netgalley, but seeing as how it's Penguin, I'm sure I'll be denied. :/
Sailor Dowden
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

The gladiatorial parts of Rome is something that has always deeply fascinated me. There is very little to no historical fiction about it (especially in YA), which is just crazy because it's such an interesting topic. So this story was pretty original seeing as I've never read a book with this setting before. It was about female gladiators, so heck yeah for tough female characters. Sadly the first 1/3 of the book was kind of aggravating. Those parts seemed to be written li
Aila

Honestly, this book had it all and the only complaint I have is that I want more. The open yet extremely satisfying ending was definitely a great place to end it though, and I read this basically in one sitting. I just wanted more sisterhood, more romance, more battles... but if you're a fan of these things - as well as amazing character development that continues from the start to finish of the book - then The Valiant is not one to miss. The exploration of honor and survival in Ancient
Justine
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An uncomplicated read with no surprises, but very enjoyable. I would have liked the story to have had just a bit more substance, but in spite of that I'm rating slightly up for the easy fun factor it provided.

I will definitely be reading the next book.
Leah
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the premise. Loved the girl power. The actual story turned out to fall a bit flat compared to the hype that surrounded the book. The big twist was easy to guess because of obvious clues which was really disappointing.

It took a while to actually get to the gladiators, and the story dragged up to that point. The romance was a bit bizarre. Fallon goes from kind of liking someone to spending the rest of the book pining over his memory. The insta-love that comes later was a dud.

Overall, it wa
Gillian
Well, that was totally bad ass.

I didn't love the start of this--in fact, this is by no means a perfect book, but it is bloody and breakneck and high stakes-y (so a word) and blockbuster-y (so also a word), and from the moment Fallon is captured I was hooked. I want this as a TV show. It's fast-paced and wicked, and full of ladies who kill and stab and punch and shout war cries and I WANT TO BE A BAD ASS GLADIATRIX SISTER WARRIOR, she says, lying in her bed eating a donut.

The characters aren't th
Jaime Arkin

Let me just start by saying that I loved pretty much everything about this story. I had high, high hopes because of some of the raves I had seen floating around, and it truly didn’t disappoint.

Fallon lives in the shadow of her older sister Sorcha who died in battle against Julius Caesar… she strives to be the warrior that she was and hopes her father will appoint her to his royal war band, even pushing the boy she loves aside to attain this one honor. Her father however has other plans
Sadie
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*i received this arc in exchange for an honest review*

I will probably be adding to this once my brain stops with excitement over this book, so moving on with the review!

Okay okay okay. I don't usually like to give out five star ratings (because let's face it, not every book is perfect) BUT GODS BE DAMNED THIS BOOK WAS PERFECT. Although I could do with more time between her relationships (you'll see what I mean when you read it, because I refuse to spoil anything).

Fallon is, in so many ways, a
Carmen (Oh, the Book Feels!)  Seda
Words cannot express how freaking much I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! Easily will be one of my favorite reads this year, and possibly of all time. I loved it so much that I emailed Lesley just to tell her. I can NOT wait for people to get this book in their hands!!! ADD THIS TO YOUR TBR LIST RIGHT NOW. DO IT. You won't regret it!!!!
Jessica
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating is actually 4.5

*Review is to come*
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Freemason's Daughter
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • The Sea Witch
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Cold Summer
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Mask of Shadows (Untitled, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles Trilogy #1)

The Valiant (2 books)
  • The Defiant (The Valiant, #2)

“Are you a weapon or a target? Choose!” 12 likes
“Uri...vinciri...verberari...ferroque necari.
I will endure to be burned... to be bound... to be beaten... and to be killed by the sword.”
7 likes