Start by marking “Claymates” as Want to Read:
Claymates

Claymates

Meet the claymates: two balls of clay that can become anything—even best friends!

What can you do with two blobs of clay? Create something amazing! But don't leave them alone for too long. Things might get a little crazy.

In this photographic friendship adventure, the claymates squish, smash, and sculpt themselves into the funniest shapes imaginable. But can they fix a giant
Published June 20th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Claymates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claymates

Start your review of Claymates
La Coccinelle
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I love this.

Despite the impression the somewhat lacklustre cover gives, this is a hilarious book about creativity. Two lumps of clay wait in a studio to be molded by an artist. They wonder what's going to happen next. Suddenly, a pair of hands comes along and molds them into shapes. The grey clay becomes a wolf, and the brown clay becomes an owl. When the artist leaves, however, the fun really begins. The claymates start playing with their own features, becoming all sorts of different things.
Julie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
This is a fun book about two friends who can literally become anything they want to be! The pufferfish is my favorite with his big cheeks, spikes and tools sticking out all over!
Earl
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite picture books of the year and also one I want to win a Caldecott. Great fun concept of what two balls of clay can be. I would love to see a behind the scenes video of this book was made!
Scott Fillner
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh My...I love this book! It had my children and I laughing out loud multiple times! I can't wait until June!!!
Gigi
I had to read this one again after I finished. So much to look at. Kids will LOVE it!
Carol
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is laugh out loud funny and beyond creative. I hope it is eligible for the Caldecott. I can't wait to read it to my 3.5 year old twin grandsons although older children would love it as well and want to rush out and find some clay. I love the artist/illustrator's note in the back where she says she focuses on three important words: emotion, movement and connection. She also says that "Art and stories can be made out of anything! What will you create today?" Hope it inspires others as it ...more
Julie Kirchner
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the creativity of this book when I first read it months ago. But I adored it when I shared it with my second graders over the past week. They laughed out loud and applauded at the end. They had great questions about modeling the clay (which I couldn’t really answer!) and were reflective on how much effort must have gone into each illustration. Now I need to get my hands (literally and figuratively) on some clay! Great book!
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kids
Funny, with a cool twist on plasticine/clay illustrations in that it's acknowledged that they're balls of clay constantly changing into different things.
Kathryn
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
So fun and creative! I smiled as I read this. The author’s note is a nice insight into her creative process. Note: my library copy had a “books that can talk” feature attached — I’m guessing to play an audio recording of the story — but it was not working so I can’t speak to that feature.
Tasha
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Two balls of clay meet one another and then are formed by an artist into an owl and a wolf. The two are left alone and quickly discover that they are able to change their own shapes as they like. They rapidly change from one form to another, elephants and peanuts, things big, small, flat and sharp. As the artist returns, the two balls of clay try to remember what they had originally been shaped as but don’t quite get it right. So back they go into a wolf and an owl and then eventually into balls ...more
Margie
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are days when you crave great gulps of it. It's an elixir for your soul. You need it like your body needs air. It can come over you spontaneously or build until it bursts out in the open.

Whether it's a snicker or a shriek, laughter is contagious. It's a rare person who hears it and does not feel at the least, a hint of a smile forming. Claymates (Little, Brown and Company, June 20, 2017) written by Dev Petty with illustrations by Lauren Eldridge is certain to send spirits soaring. There
Kyra Nay
In a studio, two lumps of clay are transformed into a wolf and owl by the hands of the artist. When left to their own devices, the two fast friends playfully begin to experiment, changing into elephants, aliens, cyclops, peacocks and more. But what will happen when the artist returns?

This is an excellent choice for elementary students, who will appreciate the visual humor. It’d would also make a good book paring for any clay-based art programs.

3.5 stars.
Lesley Burnap
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a creative tour-de-force! Creatures made from clay begin to experiment with their self-image once "the artist" leaves the room and all heck breaks lose! Dev Petty's dialogue is a witty, fun banter between these 2 creatures of clay. Lauren Eldridge seems to have WAY too much fun molding Deb's words into action! Hilarious book for all ages! The only problem I have is whether or not I can wait that long for my own hardcover book! Spectacular!
Rebecca Honeycutt
Story-wise, this is a fairly typical metafiction picture book, but the completely bonkers 3-D clay illustrations bump it up a level. Some kids might be a little freaked out by the gleeful body modifications of these two clay pals, but lots more will be fascinated (and possibly inspired to do some sculpting of their own).
Susie
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious and clever! I wonder how long it took to do all of the carving. I read this because it was on Mr. Schu's Mock Caldecott list; he has additional background information on his blog post. I then saw someone mention whether photography was eligible for the Caldecott.
Beth
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sooooo cute! I laughed out loud at this book more than once. It is pure genius!!! It isn't really a read aloud book, and I think first through third 3 grade kids would enjoy it the most. What am I saying? First grade through adults are going to love it!!!
Deborah
Jul 20, 2017 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Two delightfully subversive blobs of plasticine dare to try on different selves when no one is looking. Warning: when this story is over, kids may not want to re-read right away; they are more likely to drop this book and look for their own ball of clay. Great fun.
Danielle
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is truly wonderful. Action, emotion (those facial expressions!), creativity, camaraderie, plus lots of laughs. Yet somehow at the end I was crying too. That ending! This picture book is pure joy.
Racheal
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. GOSH. So cute!! And super meta
Harper
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was friends that were clay and love to turn into anything.
Katie Dicesare
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This books is super creative and hilarious! I know my kids will want to be creating with clay as soon as they see it. So many possibilities for kid thinking throughout and after reading this.
Donna
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute story told by the two clay pieces. Would make an interesting intro to a maker unit or art unit about creativity and making change. The pieces have great facial expressions.
June
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: illustration and friendship requests
2 balls of clay get sculpted into a wolf and an owl. They then decide to have some fun...

I have a real soft spot for claymation.
Peacegal
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! Brings to mind an especially vibrant Pixar short. This book made me want to get sculpting clay for myself, which I imagine was its intent!
Niki (Daydream Reader)
So CREATIVE!! I can't wait to read this book aloud to students!!
Carol
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most genuinely charming books I have read in a long time! It reminds me of Mo Willems' Piggy and Elephant's relationship, but with a twist. I love the voices of the two characters and the behind the scenes look of how these creations come about. This book will be sure to delight readers of all ages.
Jill Farr
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one made me smile.
Baby Bookworm
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Today, we’re reviewing Claymates, written by Dev Petty and illustrated by Lauren Eldridge, a wonderfully unique tale of friendship, creativity, and fun.

Our story begins in a sculptor’s workshop, where two lumps of clay meet. They are both new to the workshop, and a little nervous about what they’re going to be. When the sculptor comes, she carefully molds them: brown clay
Sandy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is reminiscent of the "Elephant and Piggie" book format in which there are two characters who dialogue back and forth to tell the story. As with "Elephant and Piggie," the characters are definitely entertaining, and they are uniquely sculpted out of clay. All of the images in this book are photographs of actual clay sculptures, which I found interesting.

The claymates start out as an owl and a wolf respectively, which is what a human artist has formed them into,
Turrean
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! In her studio, an artist (whom we don't see) sculpts two creatures from clay. When she (finally!) leaves, they decide to make a few little changes, to hilarious effect. The photo illustrations, created with clay and some seriously mad eyeballs, are just delightful. Perfect accompaniment to other stories that play with characters' self-awareness, or how characters create their own settings:
Chloe and the Lion, Be Quiet!, even Harold and the Purple Crayon, and so on.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bob Not Bob!: *to be read as though you have the worst cold ever
  • Stay: A Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!
  • The Infamous Ratsos (The Infamous Ratsos, #1)
  • John Deere, That’s Who!
  • Coyote Moon
  • Jabari Jumps
  • Tooth by Tooth: Comparing Fangs, Tusks, and Chompers
  • All the Way to Havana
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Blue Sky White Stars
  • The Marigold Mess
  • If You Plant a Seed
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • The Night Gardener
  • Be Quiet!
  • Life
  • That Neighbor Kid
Dev writes books for kids which are also often enjoyed by immature adults.

She was a senior visual effects artist in film and is now- thanks to her husband, daughters and pets, fully recovered from her chronic workaholism.

She is also good at word jumbles. Really good.

Dev was born in Berkeley, California and now lives pretty much in Berkeley, California.