Start by marking “Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week” as Want to Read:
Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week

Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
The Transforming Power of Triathlon

Training for a triathlon will get you in the best shape of your life, not to mention give you a new and exciting fitness pursuit. More than that, it will change your life in ways you never imagined.

In 1994, when Eric Harr decided to train for his first triathlon in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the extent of his exercise was walking to the loc
Published May 16th 2003 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week

Amy
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book really helped me. I've wanted to do a triathlon for a long time, but I didn't know how to start or what I needed to do. Plus, I'm kind of lazy. I signed up for a triathlon 6 weeks from when I picked up this book and started training. I am in the middle of week two. It's been super easy to fit into my schedule (I'm a teacher and have lots of free time). I would recommend this book for someone who wants to try a triathlon but doesn't know where to start. I would not recommend this book f ...more
Andrw Yang
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any beginners
Great book for preparing you for your first triathlon. This book is written in a conversational tone and walks you through the process of preparing for a triathlon. The author really assumes you are starting from nothing and goes through good details (more details than I needed) on how to prepare and do well.

He goes through the psychological aspects, how to deal with the fear of swimming in open water, how to pace yourself through the event, etc. that really helps you feel more comfortable with
May
Apr 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: aspiring triathletes
If I were going to recommend ONE book for somebody thinking about completing their first triathlon, this would be it. It's a fast read and the training program is very accessible to people just starting out. Buy this book and only this book -- you have enough to think about with fitting training into your already busy life without reading books filled with technical details and scary amounts of advice. I used it for my first sprint triathlon, and it was perfect. That said, if you've already disc ...more
Niki
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, exercise
This seems to be a great guide for beginning triathletes. Harr details simple, clear information and instruction for a variety of skill levels, but I suspect most useful to beginners and novices, like I am. I plan to re-read specific sections when I am ready to begin training for a specific triathlon event. This was a great resource for providing general background knowledge and for making me believe that I will be able to train for and complete a triathlon!
Christy Keeler
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good book for those wishing to do their first triathlon, but quite simplistic for the experienced triathlete. I also question some of the book's recommendations. For example, Harr recommends either an ice bath or extremely hot bath following hard workouts/races. I've never read that hot water is beneficial for recovery.
Erik
Aug 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginer Triathletes
This is a very good first Triathlon book. Harr covers pretty much everything you need to know for your first race, but it is not too in-depth or complicated. While the title makes it seem almost easy, don't be fooled. It does take a bit of training to be ready for a Triathlon. A great read for a begining triathlete.
Starlight
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Newbie Triatheletes
Perfect for beginners looking to get into the sport of Triathlon. Covers a lot of information that you might be looking for as well as helping you develop your personal training plan. Not recommended for those who are interested in "advanced" triathlon training, just newbies.
Lisa
Aug 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
I'm planning on completing my sprint first triathlon in April so I'm doing some reading up to prepare for it! Anyone want to join me?? I highly recommend reading Slow, Fat Triathlete first (even if you are not slow or fat! It makes the triathlon totally approachable for real human beings)!
Marc
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I used and continue to use this book on a daily basis. Great for the beginner looking to enter into the sport of Triathlons. The book outlines how to COMPLETE a race, NOT how to COMPETE in the race!
Sara
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it
As a complete beginner to the sport, this book was very helpful in training for a triathlon. I haven't raced yet so I guess we'll see. I liked how he provided different workouts for different skill levels. For a little higher skill level it's not a program you can do in four hours a week.
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Lots of information, most of it helpful, some of it based on weirdness. I'm sure it will be a good resource when I finally get around to trying for a triathlon...
Jim Allen
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Just OK.
Levi Cress
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was my first book I read on triathlon. I bought it to train for my first race. I was a really good book for getting into the sport.
Lena
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is the best I have come across for the beginner triathlete. It's simple, easy to understand, yet inspiring. I developed my training plans for my first race from this book.
Annette
Jun 17, 2009 rated it liked it
A well rounded book explaining how to train for a triathlon. This book is perfect for the beginner and intermediate triathlete.
Colin Zhu