Start by marking “The Wrong Train” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Train

The Wrong Train

Imagine that it's dark. You look up, and suddenly realize that you've taken the wrong train... so you get off at the next station. Only it isn't a station. And you're not alone...
Published September 1st 2016 by David Fickling Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Train, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong Train

Start your review of The Wrong Train
Maciek
This was a very pleasant surprise - I have not read anything by this author before, and I'm glad that I decided to give him a chance. I am a fan of short stories, and I'm happy to say that his collection The Wrong Train has proved to be a delightful reading experience for this time of the year.

The Wrong Train is a frame narrative, in which a young boy gets on the eponymous wrong train home; when he realizes this, he gets off at the first possible stop - a way station in the middle of nowhere. As
Carlos
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first juvenile book I have read , it was a nice mixtures of short stories of horror and a central plot that tried to tie all together . I really liked the image of the main character and the old man in the train station, it was very well executed. As somebody who works in a children’s library I would feel comfortable to recommend this book to a kid who is looking for a good horror story.
Jordan West
Unfortunately nowhere near the caliber of de Quidt's Toymaker, a gothic extravaganza which remains one of the finest books ostensibly intended for younger readers that I've ever read, however the stories here at least possess a bleakness and willingness to play for keeps not commonly found in children's horror, and "Babysitters', probably the collection's finest story, features imagery that would make Junji Ito and Al Columbia give nods of approval.
Blair
It was as a child that I first became infatuated with horror stories, and horror stories for kids are still among my very favourites. Tales like the ones in The Wrong Train must be so difficult to write: aimed at (I presume) a teenage audience, they have to be incredibly scary without resorting to excessive blood and gore. Jeremy de Quidt pulls this off wonderfully, creating a collection that will please readers of any age as long as they have a healthy taste for the macabre.

Like Chris Priestley
Alice (MTB/Alice Tied The Bookish Knot)
A spooky YA anthology filled with horror stories, just in time for the Halloween season! A young boy ends up boarding the wrong train and finds himself on a mysterious platform where he meets an older man and his pet dog. To help pass the time, the older man starts to tell stories to the boy that may look harmless but have some terrifying twists to them. I was legitimately scared throughout. A couple of short stories did fall a little flat for me. For something fast-paced with a range of plotlin ...more
Krista Regester
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A collection of short spooky stories, that will hopefully creep you out instead of slowly put you to sleep like it did me.
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

THIS little book was a big spooky surprise! A book filled with horror stories about kids and for kids where kids could and do die. *evil grin spreads across my face* I don’t come across many horror books for young readers that truly give me the chills, but this dark beauty gave me chills, shivers, and grins galore.

The Wrong Train: Stories to Make You Miss Your Stop opens with a boy running to make his train. A huffing and puffing, give it all you’ve got, pain in your shins run. But he caught the
Fiona MacDonald
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It just goes to show that it doesn't matter if a book is YA or adult - it can still deliver the same amount of thrills. "The Wrong Train" was excellent. It had a great storyline, a great twist and was genuinely scary. One of those 'checking the house is all locked up properly after finishing' books.
It had all the things that guarantee a scary read for me - an abandoned train station, a mysterious man and lots of stories within stories.
A boy gets on the wrong train and tries desperately to get o
Jason
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
✫✬⭐️ 2,5/5 STARS ⭐️✭✫

Genre: Young Adult>Horror > Short Stories
WOW: 2 story's
EW: Some endings of the story's

__________________
✎Review:

So picked this up random. And i do think it's a great horror book. But there were only 2 story's that really were well plotted and written. The rest is not so good.. They were so random. And horror or not, i has to be a good story. It really felt like Jemery himself didn't really know how he was gonna write the ending.
__________________

I can't tell you more.. we
Sarah Churchill
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I love the approach of this book; how it's essentially a collection of short stories, but they're interwoven by an overall narrative. The stories are definitely creepy, though they in between bits with our MC interested me more, and those scenes were very short. Perhaps if we'd had more time with him I would have cared about him a little more, and the (very obvious) ending would have had more impact. Overall though a very enjoyable quick read.
Josiah
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"What's real is what we believe...It's like lies—if you believe it when you tell it, it's not a lie, is it? You might be mistaken, but that doesn't make it a lie. Something can be in a story and still be real—if you believe it."

The Wrong Train, P. 36

Hailing from England may not make one a great teller of eerie stories, but Jeremy de Quidt is one in a long line of British authors whose work might suggest otherwise. The Wrong Train starts with a dreamlike scene where a boy boards a train he did
Mehsi
“That’s it. Train will come,” said the man. “Always comes after we’ve played my little game. “

A boy who takes the last train suddenly finds himself in a very dark last station. He meets an old man and his dog. I knew from the start not to trust the old man, and then he started telling stories and I was definitely NOPING my way out of there. I just wanted to scream at the kid to just go for the rails and walk, no matter how long it will take. Though then again… given everything… maybe walking is
Mathew
I must admit that I became a bit of a fan boy when it comes to Jeremy de Quidt's writing. Ever since I picked up The Toymaker I knew that I was in the hands of a real storyteller. It was clear that Jeremy coveted language and rhythm and enjoyed the rolling pace and the undulations of writing. In his message at the start of this book, he talks about how he wanted to bring supernatural stories into a contemporary setting and he does so incredibly well build on our primal fears of being alone and h ...more
Figgy
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review-pending
Review to come.

Overall a nice quick read with some good imagery, but rather predictable and not very creepy.
Katherine
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly I usually don't read horror books. It's not my type of book. Usually I don't like them. They are boring, always trying to scared and all... I just don't support it!

But this book... I liked it! Jeremy de Quidt has an extraordinary talent to write horror books and he shows it in this book!

- I really liked the plot...

~ A boy that took the wrong train. When he got out he discovers he is in the middle of nothing. A old man with a dog appears. He just want to be here with the boy. This way th
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I've given this five stars but I'm not sure how much I really enjoyed it! I mean, I kept reading and stuff because the stories were so compelling, but they were also completely terrifying and creepy. I read this book in bed a couple of times and found that I had to read a couple of chapters of a nice fluffy contemporary before putting my light out to un-freak myself.

So the premise is that one night this boy gets on the wrong train home. He realises his mistake and gets off the train as soo
Kelly Gunderman
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out this and other reviews on my young adult book blog, Here's to Happy Endings!

While I typically don't read a lot in terms of short stories, every now and again a short story collection comes along that really grabs my attention. This is often the case when it comes to horror - so when I saw this was coming out, I was super excited for it. Thank you to Scholastic for sending me a copy of this - it was such a creepy read!

The thing that made this book even neater than just being a book full
Charnell (Reviews from a Bookworm)
I haven't really read any books that have genuinely creeped me out... until now. This had so many moments where I really wanted to just put the book down. Full review to come.
Penny
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I regularly get asked for more 'scary stories' - but there isn't a huge amount out there (that I have found) that is scary enough for those students who want it... but not too scary as to completely freak them out! (Stephen King scary!!)

The Wrong Train might just be one of those books that strikes a balance. It was definitely pretty freaky, but with none of the violence or abject horror that would be inappropriate in an intermediate school library.

A boy gets onto the wrong train. When he realis
Ethan
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The wrong train
By Jeramy de Quidt

This is a juicy book of short stories that will make your back shiver. The book is about a boy who gets on the wrong train; he thinks it is fine but he soon finds out it was the biggest mistake of his life.

The boy gets of the train and finds him self at a platform but it is not much of a platform. When he realizes he has got off at the wrong place he tries to ring his dad but his phone is out of battery. He waits a bit longer and a old man with a dog appears. T
Bill Hsu
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I love the "wrong train" trope, and some of the stories are genuinely creepy. But the bland and typically YA-style prose had me skimming paragraphs sometimes.
J
I read this book three years ago and really enjoyed it. It's a great gothic/horror book that middle schoolers and teens would enjoy. It is creepy enough -- not too scary or grotesque, more ire and spooky. These stories would be great to read aloud with a flash light in the dark. ENJOY!
Trisha
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everyone who gets off the train gets the chance to play my little game."

Great little spooky stories - but definitely what I would consider a middle grade book. I would have no issue handing this one to my 8th grader (and I think she'd like it!).

Each story holds up well on its own with a great creepy element in it. But there is an overarching story - a boy, with a dead phone, gets on the wrong train. A train that takes him to a dark train station and he gets off to try to get going the right wa
Kirsty
Jun 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Nope. I am a wimp and this is creepy.
Hayley Hopley
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Realising he’s on the wrong train, a boy jumps off at the next stop. But it’s dark and late and the little platform he finds himself on is quite deserted-deserted until an old man walking his dog offers to keep him company. Offers to tell the boy stories to pass the time while he waits for a train home. Only these aren’t just stories. These are nightmares and there’s nowhere to hide and they come with a price to pay. Scared? You will be.

I am a great fan of Stephen King’s short stories, so my exp
Ms. Yingling
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

A boy realizes that he is on the wrong train to get home late at night, so he gets off. Unfortunately, the station is all but abandoned. When an old man with a small dog approaches him and offers to wait with him until another train arrives, the boy reluctantly agrees. The old man suggests that he tell stories to make the time pass quickly. The stories are all rather creepy-- a girl alone in the house with the electricity out, but the light in the yard turn
Matilda Chapman
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second horror anthology that I have read this year, and my god did this one scare the absolute crap out of me.

The Wrong Train consists of eight short stories told during the context of the main one. I would have liked a little more content in the actual plot, but anthologies - particularly horror ones - don't really tend to do that, so it's something I've just come to accept and it doesn't bother me so much.

Nanny's Little Candle, The Security Light and Picture Me terrified me to no
Dee Price
This book gave me life!!! Just when I thought truly scary books were a thing of the past, I happened upon this little gem.

Imagine if you got on the wrong train and hopped off at a seemingly deserted way post to wait for the next train? Then picture yourself waiting on a dark platform with a dead cell phone battery when you are suddenly joined by an old man and his dog. You might be happy to see him at first but then this old man starts telling you scary stories. One is more creepy than the next
Matt
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic book of short stories. The pacing was quick and I ended up reading it all in one sitting because I didn’t want to stop. This was my second book by de Quidt and I loved it. He really knows how to tell a compelling, entertaining, and interesting story. I like how his writing pushes the boundaries of YA/teen fiction and makes it accessible to adults as well. The stories contained within were genuinely creepy and I applaud the author for the thrills and chills he was able to pro ...more
Amina
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- Was that book a surprise?
- Yes, a delightfully spooky one!

So, what happened?
A little boy realises he got on the wrong train, he stops at the next station but then, he realises that it is no proper station. What can he do? nothing but wait for another train to go home. Wait all alone on a dark, empty platform until a little light starts to approach, it is an old man holding a lantern in one hand and a bag of dead flowers and rotten leaves in the other and who's accompanied by his dog.
Now, who i

• Campfire
  • Le manuscrit inachevé
  • The Teacher's Tales of Terror
  • The Light in the Lake
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • The Girl in the White Van
  • Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror (Tales of Terror, #1)
  • And the Trees Crept In
  • The Oracle Code
  • Sunny Side Up and Swing It, Sunny: The Box Set
  • At Night, I Become a Monster
  • Norfolk Murders
  • Blood Will Tell (Point Last Seen, #2)
  • Hope in the Holler