Start by marking “Liars: How Progressives Exploit Our Fears for Power and Control” as Want to Read:
Liars: How Progressives Exploit Our Fears for Power and Control

Liars: How Progressives Exploit Our Fears for Power and Control

Glenn Beck, #1 bestselling author and radio host, reveals the cold truth behind the ideology of progressivism and how the tenets of this dangerous belief system are eroding the foundation of this country.

WHY DO WE ACCEPT THE LIES?

Politics is no longer about pointing to a shining city on the hill; it’s about promising you a shiny new car for your driveway. The candidate who
Published August 2nd 2016 by Threshold Editions

To ask other readers questions about Liars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liars

Jeff Stockett
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political
This is probably first and foremost a history book. But it's not your traditional history book. It's a history of some of the ugliest moments in our nation's history.

There were a few things that stood out to me. One was Woodrow Wilson's administration. He was wildly racist and gave real legitimacy to the KKK. He actually screened the move The Birth of a Nation in the White House. (The story of the founding of the KKK). He spoke broadly about the invisible empire of the south rising up to protec
Chris Clevenger
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a history book. I may not agree 100 percent with all Glenn's views. But there is a lot here that I never knew about and has only fueled my interest in increasing knowledge on all these people. Very informative and thought provoking.
Donna
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I listened to the audio. I enjoyed Glenn Beck's performance in the beginning. Then it switched to the real narrator and it got much more serious. I liked the history lesson this provided. I also liked the orderly way things fell into place.

What I didn't like was the finger pointing. One can point out what certain parties/progressives do wrong, but it felt so lopsided. There is plenty of harm done by all parties, but there is also good things done. The finger pointing brings this down to 3 stars.
Andrew
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
This book is hard to describe, part history, part narrative non-fiction, part current events. I'm probably being a little too academic here, but I think there's a place for all three of these genres they just don't coexist well. Half of the book examines the progressive Presidents of the last century, I'm not sure what the other half does because I got bored with it and set it down. The book includes these narrative non-fiction vignettes which sometimes interrupt the flow of the book. I like nar ...more
Justin Smith
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How Trump and Hillary exploit fear to gain power.
Steve
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
I typically read a 400 page book in 7-9 days. This one is under 300 pages and took me 4 months to read. Normally this means a bad book but in this case it took so long to read because I qualified his statements with some research and a lot of thought. Awesome book, relevant topic and a must read if you have any interest in, not only where we've been as a nation but more importantly where we're going as a people who's history has been established by a constitution that's not open for personal man ...more
Christopher Backa
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook was an interesting listen. Beck covers the history of progressive rot that has been eating away at America since the early 1900's. The progressives are not always Democrats, but are Republicans as well. Beck covers the administrations of Wilson, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, LBJ, Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama as well as key progressive figures in the Congress, and the court system as well as progressive advocates as Saul Alinsky and Margaret Sanger.
Roger Leonhardt
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book contained more history than I expected - which made the book even better.

The history of Slavery, KKK, Jim Crow = All Democrats.

In most high School text books, one will never hear that the Republican party was created to stop slavery, but it was. Not one Democrat voted to abolish slavery, all Republicans. Dems created Jim Crow laws. And the KKK - you guessed it - Democrats.

Cheryl
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book exposing most all politicians as liars and thieves. I especially liked the story of Detroit: how it went from a boom town, to a mega city, to a ghost town. Glenn Beck should run for president. I would vote for him. We need a real conservative on the ballot.
Tara Lofley
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've come to really respect the opinions of Glenn Beck regarding those who make a living taking advantage of others. I'm glad I listened and I learned lots of things I didn't know before. It's nice to listen to intellectually stimulating books while I do my chores.
Keloki
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very good review of Progressivism in The United States of America.

Beck discusses the antecedents, development, and results of the Progressive socio-political mindset.

It is worth a read.
CBW Librarian
Beck’s strategy is to find something distasteful about the men and women in history who were called progressives and then project that quality on to all progressives today. For example, one hundred years ago, Woodrow Wilson expressed racist views, therefore all progressives are racist! One hundred years ago, Margaret Sanger expressed a belief in eugenics, and since Hillary Clinton accepted the Margaret Sanger Award from Planned Parenthood, she must be a eugenicist! Spurious reasoning and hyperbo ...more
Andrew
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
rogressive policy in the United States has developed entitlement programs that have destroyed our National Debt and will continue to erode the stability of the United States. This book details the waves of progressives in the past 100 years starting with President Wilson.
Progressive policy mostly spawns from the Democratic party but also develops in the Republican party.
The presidents are the main focus including Wilson, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, LBJ, Carter, Clinton, Bush and Obama. In addition t
Opa
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book Liars is a textbook that all should read. Beck illustrates the four worst liar presidents: Woodrow Wilson, F D Roosevelt, L B Johnson, and B O Obama. He finishes it off with the fifth possibility of Hillary Clinton. Beck couples their history with their liberal/progressive teachers and how they have brought us to where we are today. He enumerates the actual lies told about guns, environment/climate, income inequality, respect for the constitution, racial equality, and others. This book ...more
Kathy Brophy
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked how Glenn showed the progression of progressive ideas and practices. I can now, understand how so many politicians believe what they are saying and not just repeating the latest talking points. I still believe however, that there is alot of dramatical exaggeration going on as well.

I also liked the Glenn included alot of his resource material as I also had to double check some of the facts that I hadn't heard of before. However, this material is difficult to pull up on an E-Reader
Malory
Great book. Filled with information on the various political figureheads throughout the years that have brought about the progressive agenda. I would recommend this book to those interested in knowing more about progressives and the lies they tell.

VT Reading Challenge - #4 - "A Book about History"
Jamie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Even if you think you don't like the author, this book is well worth the read. There are plenty of source notes at the of the book to look up where the author got his facts from, so there is no need to take his word for what is written. However, what he has written will give you pause and may give you a reason to look up the information just to say, "that can't be right".
Thayne Cullimore
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I normally don't read non-fiction, but the history of Progressives was interesting.
Carol
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This would have been more interesting to read before the election. Beck is pretty good at history. He also touched on the KKK, Progressivism, etc. Not my favorite book, but OK.
William Puddy
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Check whatever you may think about Glenn Beck before you read this. His argument is well researched, articulated, and enlightening.
Vic
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting read.
Melissa
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Again I learned so much. Can't argue with a book that has 30+ pages in the back with references on where to look up this or that. Talk about a "fact" checked book! So much info to process and take in, yet it all makes complete sense! Best pages were 271-273.
Alan Smith
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening

I'm glad I bought this book. I can't believe how blind I have been to the progressive lies. Thank you, Glenn Beck!
Kirk
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
While I am far from the heavily involved political type I've started to pay a little more attention given the upcoming presidential election. Beck does a phenomenal job explaining how progressives use fear to try to convince the country that we need a government to act for us and help us make choices. I won't bore anyone with my opinions, but the book was certainly eye opening. It was very insightful to hear how corrupt past and current presidents and potential presidents have been.

It's got me
Luca Bocci
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Glenn Beck is one of the most divisive personalities in the political media universe and therefore will attract both vitriolic remarks and fawning praises at the same time.
As someone who used to watch every day his show on Fox News I'm hardly impartial but I've recently come to doubt his relevance in today's ultra-polarized information environment.
Beck is sometimes a parody of his former self, going again and again for the tried and tested tricks, which make him less and less credible and influe
Jeannette Dilouie
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
From a historical standpoint, it was very interesting... and disturbing. I had no idea that Woodrow Wilson, FDR and Lyndon B. Johnson were such disgusting racists! With that said, Beck's own agenda this time around was a little too obvious to the point of being desperate.

I definitely thought his "Arguing With Idiots" was MUCH better.
Lewis Davidson
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

Any reasonably observant human can see the left at work. This book explains how some of the misdirection is passed off as progress.
Colette
Very interesting stuff. I have changed the way I see things. Beck and his team make a great case, and if what they say is true (which I think a lot of it is), ... I don't really know what to say.

If you have listened to Beck at all in 2016 this information won't be new. A lot of it is in the serials he and his team have produced on many subjects, which you can get free on Beck's website.

I love reading about the early republic era, so this focus on 1880s to the present is a departure for me. Tho
Sean O'Donnell
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
When you step back and look at the direction the country is going, there is a recognizable pattern of behavior by those in power that has been trending over the last hundred years. This book lays it out very clearly. When Americans are not firmly entrenched in the principles that made this country great, we willingly trade our rights for security. Why? Ignorance and fear. Every time this happens, centralized political power incrementally increases. Some people actually want that. They use our fe ...more
Wesley Roth
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Glenn Beck's new book, "LIARS" is a well-researched, well-written book, explaining the history of progressivism on both sides of the aisle. I watched his Livesigning.com event before the book's release (and purchased a signed copy for my personal library), and Beck shared that it took about a year to research and write his latest book. The first half of the book takes a look at the founders of American progressivism: Hegel, Marx, President Wilson, and others, with Wilson being the 1st wave. FDR, ...more
  • Our Lost Constitution: The Willful Subversion of America's Founding Document
  • Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant
  • Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics
  • The Dirty Dozen: How Twelve Supreme Court Cases Radically Expanded Government and Eroded Freedom
  • Stealing America: What My Experience with Criminal Gangs Taught Me about Obama, Hillary, and the Democratic Party
  • Never Surrender: A Soldier's Journey to the Crossroads of Faith and Freedom
  • 48 Liberal Lies About American History
  • Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy and His Fight Against America's Enemies
  • Conservatism: An Invitation to the Great Tradition
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • A Time for Truth: Reigniting the Promise of America
  • The Clintons' War on Women
  • Conservative Victory: Defeating Obama's Radical Agenda
  • Benghazi: The Definitive Report
  • The Naked Communist
  • An Enemy Hath Done This
  • By the People: Rebuilding Liberty Without Permission
  • America Alone: The End of the World As We Know It
Glenn Edward Lee Beck is one of America's leading radio and television personalities. His quick wit, candid opinions and engaging personality have made The Glenn Beck Program the third highest rated radio program in America and Glenn Beck, one of the most successful new shows on the Fox News Channel. His unique blend of modern-day storytelling and insightful views on current events allowed him to ...more
“Fear, as well as the hopeful (if not pointless) solutions offered to combat it, is ultimately what make progressivism so successful. It’s what makes otherwise intelligent, rational, and good human beings succumb so easily to obviously absurd visions of the future painted by politicians. It’s why our brothers and sisters and our children—and sometimes even you and I—are continually tempted by the progressive siren song.” 0 likes