Start by marking “The Hounded” as Want to Read:
The Hounded

The Hounded

On his fifteenth birthday, Monty is at rock bottom. Ignored by his parents, bullied at school, and with a brain that’s prone to going walkabout, he’s all by himself.

Until he meets the black dog for the first time.

It’s just like any other dog, except that only Monty can see it. And it talks. And Monty’s not sure whether it’s a friend – or a foe.

The black dog gets him talkin
Published June 2016 by Wakefield Press

Start your review of The Hounded
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
★★★☆
An honest and confronting look at mental illness through the narrative of a fifteen year old boy.

Fifteen year old Montgomery Ferguson is inconspicuous, isolated and estranged from his peers. His father is a quiet, pragmatic man, his mother is preoccupied with a theoretical intruder, unresponsive and negligent. Monty is malnourished, his emancipated, skeletal body disciplined to survive without nutrients, his dishevelled appearance obscuring basic hygiene. His only friend an online German y
Katherine
‘I was freaking out. I don’t know how long it had been there but when I opened my eyes it was staring right at me. It was silent as night, the back dog.’

The Hounded is a novel written by Australian screenwriter Simon Butters and is his debut novel and boy is it a deep, somewhat depressive and serious one. The novel centres around 15 year old Montgomery ‘Monty’ who on his birthday, which none of his parents remembers or celebrates is surprised to find a black dog waiting for him in his bedroom,
Kerri Jones
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book!! I just don't know what to say that won't give too much away but I can say the writing was just superb. It was the kind of writing that just made you want to soak up each thought and there was some very witty and laugh out loud moments too just because of the clever prose. It is steeped in complexity and very real issues that the author chose not to shy away from and I thank him for his insights into this topic (which I haven't revealed but the black dog on the front cover should be e ...more
val
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
such a hard book to read, but an equally important one. highlighting the theme of depression, neglect, and a bizarre friendship-turned-to-relationship, the ending hit me hard and reminded me of something important.

not today, dog.
Michael Heath-Caldwell
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, australia
A look at young contemporary Australia with a haunt of the paranormal and a bang of an ending.
Aasma
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review appears on my blog : Infinity Reads

The Hounded is a novel that explicitly tackles contemporary social issues and makes it relevant by narrating these issues from the perspective of an everyday Australian teenager’s perspective.

I was most impressed by the way the novel was written. Being the author’s first published novel I believe Simon did a very solid job of creating an engaging and fluent narrative. Monty, the protagonist, has this unique voice that is consistent throughout the wh
Tina Jameson
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found myself utterly engaged with this Pygmalion style story of transformation and growth in the face of hopelessness and depression. The 'black dog' that hounds Monty dominates his perception of the world and of those around him. As his awareness beyond himself is stretched, he begins to see the suffering of other people, of dysfunctional families other than just his own.

The novel is definitely aimed at upper secondary / young adults, with some confronting content - but this is a novel that s
Micheal
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'll give this a big five and say read it if you can. It goes to some really dark places indeed and explores some of your harder topics. Like, there's the good old bullying, there's self harm, depression and other forms of mental illness, and suicide. It doesn't hold back. I could relate to it too despite being much older than the intended audience. Because I've met the black dog too and said 'not today dog, not today.'
Update : I read this again two and a half years later and this still stands.
L
Mar 31, 2017
Brad
Feb 20, 2018
St Stephen's C C
On his fifteenth birthday, Monty is at rock bottom. Ignored by his parents, bullied at school, and with a brain that's prone to going walkabout, he's all by himself. Until he meets the black dog for the first time.

It's just like any other dog, except that only Monty can see it. And it talks. And Monty's not sure whether it's a friend - or a foe. But the black dog gets him talking to pretty, popular Eliza Robertson for the first time. It takes him to places he's never been. And eventually it will
Alison

• The Ruby Slippers
  • The Sound of Trumpets
  • Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas 1860-1960
  • The Sisters: The Saga of the Mitford Family
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Tanked
  • The Fire Court (Marwood and Lovett, #2)
  • Lusitania
  • The Chilbury Ladies' Choir
  • The Book of Practical Candle Magic
  • Empire of the Clouds: When Britain's Aircraft Ruled the World
  • The Legend of Oescienne - The Ascending (Book 4)
  • The Birds and Other Stories
  • Quake
Simon Butters is a screenwriter for film and television. His credits include: 'Wicked Science', 'H20 Just Add Water' and 'Mako: Island of Secrets' among others. He lives in the Adelaide Hills with his two hilarious kids, a very busy wife, and a scruffy little dog that definitely doesn’t talk but does do a weird grunt when you pat her behind the ear.

'The Hounded' is Simon’s first novel. It was shor