Start by marking “Watch Hollow” as Want to Read:

(Watch Hollow #1)

Deep within the enchanted woods in the town of Watch Hollow stands the once-grand Blackford House, whose halls hold a magical secret: a giant cuckoo clock that does much more than tell time. But when the clock’s gears cease to turn, an evil presence lurking among the trees begins to come out of the shadows.

When Lucy and Oliver Tinker arrive in Watch Hollow, they have no
Published February 12th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Watch Hollow, please sign up.
Gregory Hi Zezee! So glad you liked Watch Hollow and thanks for your question! Book 2, Watch Hollow: The Alchemist's Shadow will be released in February of…moreHi Zezee! So glad you liked Watch Hollow and thanks for your question! Book 2, Watch Hollow: The Alchemist's Shadow will be released in February of 2020. Hopefully, there will be more after that one, too! :-)(less)

Start your review of Watch Hollow
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
On sale now! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Gregory Funaro’s just-published Watch Hollow is a charmingly spooky (or perhaps spookily charming) contemporary fantasy featuring an 11-year-old girl, Lucy Tinker, her 13-year-old brother Oliver, and their clockmaker father … and also a fearsome giant, a boy who mysteriously appears and disappears, and a full dozen magical talking animals sure to warm the hearts of middle grade readers.

After a brief prologue with a heart-stopping chase
Candace Robinson
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read a lot of middle grade books but this one was awesome and super fun! Give me weird, magic, and gothic vibes any day! I got sucked right in after the intriguing prologue! Beautiful and magical writing, great characters, and a mysterious house! Also, I could definitely see this one as a movie! ...more
Alexandra
Thanks to the generous offer of an ARC copy from the author.

Another imaginative Middle Grade Fantasy, I'm looking forward to what seems to be the promise of a continued story. But don't worry, this has a satisfying end. I'm always on the lookout for good Middle Grade Fantasy stories, and so many end up being anemic or very derivative. Not this one, it's original, imaginative, with age appropriate tense moments and lots of heart.

My second win with this author, he's now on my Watch list for future
Cameron Chaney
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been a reader of Gregory Funaro's books since the very beginning when his novel Alistair Grim's Odditorium was released by Disney Hyperion. The Alistair Grim series was simply magical and is still one of my very favorites. If only Hyperion wasn't so focused on stretching thin their beloved Percy Jackson series, maybe Alistair Grim would have received a third book to wrap up the series. But alas, Disney's publishing is an unfair mess, so we have yet to see what happens to Alistair and his ...more
Lata
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful little spooky story of a terrifying giant, a mysterious clock in a mysterious house, a strange boy, and talking creatures.
Lucy and Oliver and their dad are in financial trouble, thanks to their dad’s less than sound financial decisions. He’s running an antique shop, and still hasn’t recovered from his wife’s death from cancer. Lucy is 11, Oliver’s 13, and both are bullied at school, though Lucy gets into trouble at school for fighting back.
When an elderly man makes their
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
Talking animals are always a tricky proposition for me, but I found Watch Hollow to be a charming read with enough creepy overtones to make my horror-jaded heart happy.

I started this as a buddy read with Jess from Storytime in the Stacks and swiftly found that I wanted to keep reading it. This isn’t a book you want to spread out over several days. It’s one you want to curl up with and blast through.

Out of the two children that we follow for the story (Lucy and Oliver) I have to say that it was
Ms. Yingling
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Lucy and Oliver Tinker's father repairs clocks for a living, but the business isn't doing well. After the death of their mother from cancer, the family moves into an apartment attached to the business and is struggling to make ends meet, to the point where school mates taunt the pair about being on food stamps. When the mysterious Mr. Quigley shows up and offers Mr. Tinker a large sum of money to fix a clock that is built into a house, Watch Hollow, that
Skip
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A struggling family (economically and emotionally) is offered a lucrative opportunity to fix a broken clock in the Watch Hollow mansion: the source of energy for the house. In a remote area of coastal New England, the decrepit mansion is surrounded by the creepy and creeping Shadow Woods, protected by sunstone and the failing cuckoo clock, with its twelve animal statues. Lucy, Oliver and Mr. Tinker find themselves battling the Garr, with only their wits and love for each other (and the strange ...more
Benjamin Thomas
I always look forward to a new book by Gregory Funaro but wow, this time he really dials it up to 11!

Eleven year-old Lucy Tinker and her older brother Oliver (age 13) are struggling through life after the death of their mom two years earlier. Their father is the proprietor of a small clock repair shop and tries to maintain optimism in the face of very little income and is just trying to get through each day as it comes. But into their life comes a golden opportunity in the form of Mr. Quigley
Cheryl
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first was introduced to this author, Mr. Funaro when he wrote his darker suspense novels. Which I just enjoyed a lot. Than, Mr. Funaro started a new journey into young adult author. The Alistair Grim's Odditorium series is great. It is magical and whimsical. All ages from children, teens, to adults can enjoy that series. Mr. Funaro's newest offering is not to be missed. I absolutely had a magical and fun time getting to know the Tinker's and all of the animals in this book. Mr. Funaro strikes ...more
Gerardo Delgadillo
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 shining stars!

I received an ARC ebook from Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review.

Wow. Wow. Wow. I loved-loved Watch Hollow. This story is quite different than the Odditorium series, which I also liked a lot. While the latter has a huge, super-cool world, this new book focuses more on the mystery and the characters. Told from dual POVs, the story takes us in a magical adventure to the land of weirdness and coolness. I mean, how cool are talking wooden animals?

If I had to define
stefiereads
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OH MY.
I was expecting a spooky/creepy book for autumn, but not only that, I got more.
I never read a creepy book that made me cry. But the ending of this book somehow did that to me.
You see this is not only a spooky/creepy book. It is also a heartwarming one. It has a great message about love, about how to face our fear. It is an adventurous creepy book with meaning. It's a great book not only for the younger ones, but for us, adult that sometimes need to be reminded to the simplest message
Rhonda
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books-read
I won this book in a giveaway from the author and Ya’ll I LOVED this book, I usually don’t read to much middle grade books.

But this one was sooo AMAZING in my opinion,

You have wooden animals that come to life, Magic and more..

I can’t wait till my niece who is 1 1/2 currently gets to the age where she can read books, because I will definitely be saving and passing on to her.

And I definitely can’t wait to read the next book in the series..
Brandy Painter
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, fantasy
This is a fantastical mystery involving a spooky house, a magical clock, and inanimate animals that come to life. It is an entertaining read, but for me it didn't really stand out from the pack as far as MG fantasy goes. There is a dead mother and a confused, distant father. Nothing really makes it particularly memorable, but it is a good thing to give new novel readers who have yet to read much fantasy.
Pop Bop
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Tale of "Magical Balance"

“"No one can hear you scream in the Shadow Woods.”"

One of Gregory Funaro's previous series was built around Alistair Grim's Odditorium, and while they were fun books they were also a bit manic and were loaded with weird and fantastical inventions. I expected this book would take off on a similar funsy-steampunky-magicky sort of action/adventure path. I was wrong, sort of. This opens as a more carefully, tightly, and elegantly structured book with many lovely throwaway
Melanie  Brinkman
Aug 10, 2019 added it
Shelves: own-f
The Blackford House isn't a normal house.

When Lucy and Oliver Tinker's father is offered a large sum of money to fix a mysterious clock in an old manor, they're sure this is exactly what their family needs. However the siblings soon discover that Blackford House is more than a creepy old house. They must join forces with magical clock animals to defeat a vicious monster. Will they be able to save themselves and Blackford House before it's too late?

Trigger warning for mention of parental death.

Jenna (Falling Letters)
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, middle-grade, arc
Review originally published 8 January 2019 at Falling Letters. I received a free copy from the author.

Watch Hollow is less creepy than the cover implies but Funaro establishes a consistently spooky atmosphere throughout the book. References to iPads and Google searches early on give way to descriptions of a bleak wood and eerie sensations. I enjoyed Lucy’s first impression of the old house – a gradual introduction that shows how unsettling has become. Illustrated clock faces at the top of each
Tonja Drecker
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jam-packed with imagination, this is a fast-paced adventure with something unexpected waiting around every bend.

Lucy and Oliver's father has been trying to keep his clock business afloat, but especially after the death of their mother, things aren't exactly easy. When a strange car and an even stranger man come into the picture, it appears that, at least, the financial worries might be taken care of for awhile. But the clock Lucy and Oliver's father is to fix is an intricate part of a strange
Patty
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
By
Gregory Funaro

What it's all about...

A summer spent trying to fix a clock that defies all reasonableness. The Shadow Woods...a dark wood that seems to grow and grow. Wooden animals who come to life. Acorns that turn into black dust and cure illnesses...these are the things that Oliver and Lucy encounter as their father labors to fix a house clock for an odd little man. But things get more and more dangerous! And more and more mysterious! And more and more unbelievable!

Why I wanted
Brendan
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading this as part of an advanced readers group and, WOW! I loved Watch Hollow from page 1. The author pulls you right into the story from the moment it starts.

Kids will love the book, to be sure, but as an adult I was reminded - dare I say - of The Boy Who Shall Not Be Named. I tire of the countless books that promise to be the next HP, but this truly grabbed me like no other YA since that famous title.

It has magic and mystique, but the kids are grounded in a reality
Dana
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I suspected I would, I really enjoyed this book! An enjoyable cast, a giant fantastical cuckoo clock, and a charming (if sometimes unsettling) manor. The story is unique and very intriguing from the get go. The Tinkers are a sweet and loveable family, and my initial love of the characters made for an even more enjoyable read. The mystery was so fun to figure out along with Lucy and Oliver. Their unique friends and the magic they discover along the way make for a fascinating story that keeps ...more
Rajiv
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Watch my video review of "Watch Hollow" by Gregory Funaro here: https://youtu.be/aFznmiR1c-8

This was such a fun an exciting book to read. It has the perfect touch of adventure magic, mystery and suspense while not being too scary to scar younger readers.

Lucy and Oliver are nice main characters who have their own positive traits. The two are complete opposites, where Lucy is young and her dialogue is straight forward, and Oliver is older and tries to be the head of the family and more complex.
Almira
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
EVIL lurks in the village of Watch Hollow, to be precise in the Blackford House.

Mr. Tinker is a clock repairer, he is approached by Mortimer Quigley to repair the clock in Blackford House, as Mr. Tinker's business is "failing" he accepts the offer from this stranger.
Summer is coming, so Lucy and Oliver will be in an environment away from the school bullies, or so they think.
There are many unusual aspects of living in Blackford House - well, there is no running hot water, no electricity, and
Phoenix
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watch Hollow, by Gregory Funaro. This story is all about mysteries and excitement. Mr. Tinker is a clock repairman. He brought his two children, Lucy and Oliver with him to fix a massive clock. They had moved to a mysterious house for the summer. Little did they all know, something shocking will happen to all of them. Watch Hollow is a must read book! Very appropriate for all ages. Full of mysteries, danger and clues. Read to find out all the excitement with Mr. Tinker and his two children on ...more
Amelya
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watch Hollow, by Gregory Funaro, is a story with characters that you will love, and full of mysteries, and excitement. Mr.Tinker, and his two children Oliver, and Lucy moved to Watch Hollow to repair a clock full of mysteries. Little did they know that they would encounter the mystery of their lives. Watch Hollow is a must read book, filled with danger, fear, excitement and mystery. Read on to find out if the Tinkers survive the scary woods.
Lucas
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watch Hollow, by Gregory Funaro, is a story full of mystery and excitement. I think that Gregory Funaro did a wonderful job with the book Watch Hollow. When the owner of the Blackford House needed the clock fixed, he went to Mr.Tinker, so Mr.Tinker and his two children Olaverd and Lucy head to Blackford House and when they got there they saw strange things on the property of Blackford House. This book was very adventurous.
Kimberly
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watch Hollow, by Gregory Funaro, is a story for both children and adults. It's a story about Mr. Tinker, a clock repair man and his two children, Oliver and Lucy, they move to Blackford House for the summer to repair a clock in the house. Little did they know they were in for the surprise of their lives. Watch Hollow is a really great book that you must read. Filled with danger, fear, excitement, and mystery. Read on to find out if the Tinkers survive the scary and mysterious woods.
Marcus
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Anja
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good, solid, intriguing, juvenile fantasy book. I enjoyed it a lot. But if I'm going to compare this book to Gregory Funaro's Alistair Grim books, I have to say that I prefer those but this one was still good. I just predicted some of the plot twists whereas in Alistair Grim, I didn't.
But I would still recommend Watch Hollow to juvenile fantasy readers.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• We're Not from Here
  • The Next Great Paulie Fink
  • A Place to Belong
  • The Owls Have Come to Take Us Away
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Sweeping Up the Heart
  • Pay Attention, Carter Jones
  • Trace
  • Other Words for Home
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • All the Greys on Greene Street
  • Right as Rain
  • Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)
  • Genesis Begins Again
Gregory Funaro is the NY Times best-selling author of Disney-Hyperion's ALISTAIR GRIM'S ODDITORIUM (an Amazon Best Book of the Month for January, 2015) and ALISTAIR GRIM'S ODD AQUATICUM (2016), which received a Kirkus starred review. His latest book, WATCH HOLLOW (HarperCollins, 2019), received starred reviews from School Library Journal and ALA Booklist, and was a Junior Library Guild Gold ...more

Watch Hollow (2 books)