Start by marking “The Consumption of Magic (Tales From Verania, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Consumption of Magic (Tales From Verania, #3)

The Consumption of Magic

(Tales From Verania #3)

Sam of Wilds faced the Dark wizard Myrin and lived to tell the tale. Granted, the battle left him scarred, but things could be a hell of a lot worse.

It’s not until he reunites with Morgan of Shadows and Randall that he realizes just how much worse things could be.

Because the scars have meaning and hint at Myrin’s true plans for Sam and the Kingdom of Verania.

With time runn
Published November 20th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Consumption of Magic, please sign up.
V The audio books definitely!

The narrator Michael Lesley does a brilliant job of bringing the characters to life. This series is hilarious.

I am waiting…more
The audio books definitely!

I am waiting on book 3 on audible.(less)
llv I see that there is another one planned so I answered my own question. :)

Start your review of The Consumption of Magic (Tales From Verania, #3)
T.J.
Aug 30, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
☆ Todd
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Okay, let's just get the elephant in the room out in the open, shall we?

In the last book, David's dragon laid a huge prophecy out to gnaw on our brains.
A warning. All of you will not survive until the end. There will be loss, Sam. And it will burn like nothing has ever burned before. You must remember to keep in the light, even when the dark begins to curl around your feet.
Then Sam spent the rest of that book pondering on the fact that, unless something truly miraculous happens
Wendy

This is the the second (third?) book of the Destiny Fuck Yeah! trilogy, and I have been dying to get my hands on it. I have also been pretty nervous, about the hints TJ kept dropping.

He told us there were going to be some big changes in this book....He told us we would get to know Justin a bit better, and he warned us about the emotions we would be feeling while reading this one. He wasn't wrong....damn my emotions and Wookie Cry Face !!

puppy-in-a-cup1.gif (450×208)

This books opens right where "A Destiny of Dragons" left us
Renée
I will summarize my entire reading experience of this book in one sentence.

Just one.

Here it is: TJ is a RAT BASTARD!

He warned us. He said we'd want to kill him after what he does in Book 3, and that's why Book 4 would be published only a few months behind it.

Believe him.

If I didn't love his writing so much, I'd be sending him hate mail.

But I digress......

I liked this one better than Book 2. It's got a maturity to it that shows Sam's growth. (And, yes, I said maturity even though this group
Jewel
"Because it’s always been you, Sam. I promise. I promise. I promise, because when I look upon these stars, there is nothing I wish for more than you."

Did you hear that sound? It was the sound of my heart shattering . And that other sound? That would be TJ cackling, the evil rat-bastard. I'm not going to tell you why my heart is in bitty bits on the floor, though. I wouldn't do that to you. Or to TJ. Lets just suffice it to say I want book 4 right the frak now! Also, I might be plo
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Hearts

I’m going to keep this short and simple. If you love Klune and if you want adventure and epic love and magic, then pick up this series or don’t delay in finishing it!!

In essence, my review is just me reiterating what I’ve said for the first two installments. Though there are a multitude of shenanigans and inappropriateness and sheer madness, at its core this series is all about family, friends, and love made better and possible through the goodness of one zany wizard apprentice who is
BWT (Belen)
TJ Klune has long hinted that we would be mad at him by the end of this book. There is a lot that happens to build off where we've been in The Lightning-Struck Heart and A Destiny of Dragons and, because it's the penultimate in Sam's trilogy (quadrilogy?), it brings the reader much closer to what seems to be building toward the inevitable ending.
“How did you think this was going to end?” Randall asked, as if he had all the time in the world. “What did you think you were going to accomplish he
Jilly
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
How can people actually hate a wizard apprentice who is a hilarious twink with best friends who are a gay unicorn and half giant?
I mean, come on? What's not to LOVE?
But, it is happening in this book. There is a group of anti-Sam protesters rising in the city who are petitioning the king to kick his ass to the curb. They even started throwing tomatoes as Sam walked by.

"The ... fruiting," Morgan said, lips twitching, "was an unfortunately misguided attempt at protest by the group known as the W
Susan
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, arc, gbr, comfort-reads
I was a bit disappointed in the second book. That’s why I was so happy I loved this one! I felt like everything was finally coming together. While book 2 was all gloom and doom, this one felt more hopeful.

I’ll put the rest in a spoiler tag, even though I won’t say anything about the plot. I just know that most people don’t want to know a thing.

(view spoiler)
Christelle
**WOOT** I’m amazed to enjoy this tale so, so much, because, really, fantasy romances and quests with so many OTT characters, creatures and events are not my usual tastes. But NO ONE can write banter and OTT mixed with so many feels like TJ Klune.

And Holly Molly : this 3rd part of the Verania Tale is crazy, hilarious, swooning, fast-paced, riveting. But the weight of Sam’s destiny is looming and hurt, real hurt is coming.

No time to review more : I’m going straight to read book 4 with Josy. Do no
Sanaa
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-read 2020/02/05

Holy shit.

This is the worst. I'm a mess. That ending was still the hardest thing to read. Ever.

I'm still going to go cry in a corner. And fml because I'm probably going to start book 4 and I have work tomorrow. Ugh

We were human. We breathed. We lived. We laughed. We broke. And in the end, we loved each other down to our very souls. We moved with a strange grace, the dance of life that pushed us together, and didn’t we just cling to each other? Didn’t we just hold on as ti
Jenni Lea
Unicorn Gang Bang Review with my pals Chelsea and Ann!

That… Fucking… Asshole!

That was my first thought upon finishing this book. It was quickly followed by “Bastard!” and “He’s just a big ole meanie!” (all of which was said, of course, in the most loving way possible) My heart was shredded at the end of this story and I now have an unbridled need to read the next book as soon as possible.

I’m finding it hard to write a proper review without spoiling anything so I’m just going to tell you how I f
Len Evans Jr
OK... First off just gotta say I really hate the ending to this book... that said I also have to admit it was pretty damn good. Though I still hate it... part of that is I just Did Not See It Coming... talk about being blindsided... Now... my first instinct is to leave my review at that... cuz let face it I seriously and I mean like drop dead seriously HAVE to start reading book 4.
But I will say at least a little bit more about this book. It delivered in every way, the insanity, the humor, the
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
I didn't love this one as much as the first two books in the series, just felt a little drawn out in some places. But I'll be reading about my favorite wizard and his gay unicorn and knight delicious face as long as T.J. Klune keeps writing them. :D
Ariana
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

So much love, so much pain, so much dark and light, and so much craziness.

Yes, this book went out on a punch to the guts. But I expected that after the reviews ...the cliffhanger ... and that was also the reason why I waited, waited AND WAITED all this time to read it. Because ... not knowing meant I could sleep for four months. I still timed it badly. It's another four days until the final book is coming out.

FOUR blooming WHOLE days to continue where Mr. Klune left us. Darn. Somebody
Jennifer☠Pher☠
I think I might have died a little bit last night.

Something inside, my soul, my heart or maybe both, just a piece, shriveled up and died.

I often think I'm emotionally broken. I mean, I get it and I feel but not always and not necessarily appropriately. Sometimes the things that should make me really sad or maybe even break down and cry just don't. I know I should feel sad or more but, well, I don't. I spend a lot of time not in the real world so, well, I think I just don't know how to deal so I
Meags
4.5 Stars

In this third installment of Klune's impressively written Tales From Verania series, the Kingdom of Verania is under the increasing threat of the dark wizard Myrin’s evil plans. Our young hero, Sam of Wilds, wizard’s apprentice and all-around legend extraordinaire, is still very much in the midst of the action and danger regarding his so-called pesky destiny as the foretold "chosen one" (who is meant to stop said evil plans from coming to fruition). Life obviously isn’t as fun and caref
Line
That was... I am... Yeah...

Great addition to the series. I loved seeing all of these people again, they feel like family, or at least like someone you want to best friends 5eva with.
I did want to throttle Sam more than once, and I loved that his 'people' called him out on his shit, but the secret-keeping... Ohhh, the secret-keeping *sad face*

I'm just gonna leave this here, am pretty speechless and sad that it is over and that we have to wait to the spring for 'the end'.
It IS okay though, becaus
Ann
Godsdammit.

Only the Klune can make me run the gamut of SO many emotions in one book. I’m not even talking the series, just this one installment. When I read Lightning Struck Heart back in 2015 I had no idea the level of EVERYTHING this series would become. It’s so, so much. I mean that in the best possible way. In a scary commiserate way , I get Lady Tina (HaveHeart forever Motherfuckers! Don’t even with me Lady Tina) and that is never something I should say as a grown ass adult. But, I am inve
Chelsea
The ultimate Klunatic gangbang over on the blog with Ann and JL!

Well fuck me sideways! This is the most epic series of epicness ever written!!! This series and especially this book had me feeling all the feels! Literally everything. I love and adore these characters, I laugh with them and definitely cry with them. I feel slightly nauseated by Gary and Kevin's sex and more than slightly aroused by Ryan and Sam's. I. Am. Invested! Just like everyone else who reads this series!

Now onto my deep dark
Melissa
Dec 2018 audio review
Update: I can't believe I forgot to mention Jolly Sparkledust who was super generous and gifted me this audio. Big HUGS! This was the perfect present and I am very happy and grateful. I will be re-listening to the series for years and years to come. Mwah! <3

Is a review even necessary? If you don't already know how awesome this series is, then at this point you're not going to care about how awesome book 3 audio is. And if you DO know how awesome the series is, you are more t
Suanne Laqueur
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Verania series is an in-your-face blend of silliness and seriousness. And I'll be honest, there were times in this installment when I wished the silliness were reined in a little. The 50-year-old nag in me sighing in exasperation, "Would you attention whores knock it off and get back to the point?" I swear, when all the protagonists are in one room, I sympathize the most with Randall and Morgan.

But the thing is, TJ Klune doesn't give a fuck. And the series is so full of honest don't-give-a-f
BWT (Belen)

I'm not even going to lie, I have listened to this multiple times since I bought it approximately six minutes after it went live on Audible. I'm not even a little bit sorry. I'm actually on my fourth listen right now.

And yes, I have cried at the end every. single. time.

Michael Lesley - you're a genius and a truly gifted performer. Kudos and bravo, sir! (And, can I just say Pat and Leslie - brilliant!)

Joyfully Jay
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
Updated for audiobook review:
Read Jay’s audio review in its entirety here.

A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I wish I could tell you more about this story. I wish I could relate the many times I burst out laughing at the impossible discourse between Kevin the dragon and Gary the unicorn. I wish I could hint at how incredibly wonderful it was to watch Sam and Ryan grow even closer even after Sam finally revealed all the secrets he had been keeping from his cornerstone. I so wish I could tell you that
Gabi
I don't know what to say.
*sputters*
*sputters some more*

So much feelz and lolz <- that means I was laughing hard. ;D
I love how this series is paced. The first book, understandably, was a big bang to me and it's about Sam&Ryan's romance. The second book is more action-packed. And this one is more about teaching and learning about magic, about secrets; it is literally the calm before the storm and I can't wait to read the undoubtedly epic conclusion.
Santy
First things first, Michael Lesley's audio performance was EXCEPTIONAL. PERFECTION. His renditions of the range of emotions, the scope of the story and the sheer differences he managed to bring per character was mind blowing. Yes, the story was good but my rating was solidly influenced by the narrator's performance. I just can't gush enough. He truly deserves it all!

As I said, this story was great. It was hilarious, infuriating, frustrating, and so unbelievably ridiculous at times that as Sam wo
♥Sharon♥
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gods! Just finished reading/listening to this one and I thought it was fantastic.

The narrator, Michael Lesley, is a genius. He does an amazing job with portraying each of the characters. I loved getting lost in these Tales From Verania with him.

I laughed.

I cried.

I swooned.

How does T J Klune make you fall in love with dragons? Seriously!

Sam was Sam. Enough said. ❤️❤️

Ryan was a little more fierce in this one.

Tiggy will forever have my heart. ❤️

Gary was sassy as ever.

Randall was a tad
Lori S.
Amazonaute asked me this on a thread in MM Romance and Gay Fiction:
"Lori, did consumption of magic seem to be a proper book to you? Fit to be published?"
My answer was "No" and followed by what's below.

Klune can write when he sets his mind to the task. There is a good book buried under the layers of irritating sexual innuendo and stupid, distracting, dialogue. Yet, just when he gets a decent bit of serious plot going, Klune allows his characters to go flying off the rails again. It's almost like
Annika
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

So I'm kind of glad that I waited to read this book until I had the last in the series lined up, because that ending... it would've been torture to wait months to know what the heck was going on!

I'm of two minds about this book. The first half was just above meh. It wasn't really bad or anything, it was just... nothing really happened. A lot of going back and forth, and not really bringing anything new from the previous book.

Then around halfway through (or there abouts) things were star
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

I don't know what to say about this book that I haven't already said about the others in the series, so I'll just say it all again.

This book has the same silly, fun, modern, sex-filled, Tumblr-esque humor of the other books. If anyone in real life ever talked about sex and their sex lives as much as these characters, it would be awkward and we'd probably want to tape their mouth shut, but with
BR Karen, Josy and Christelle 339 6 Apr 02, 2018 04:00AM
The Backlot Gay B...: The Consumption of Magic, by TJ Klune 1 20 Nov 26, 2017 06:35PM

• Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • Happy Endings (Demon Magic #1)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • The Prince's Dragon (Fire and Valor #2)
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
  • Tournament of Losers
  • Familiar Beginnings (Demon Magic, #2)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero
TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories.

Tales From Verania (4 books)
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • A Destiny of Dragons (Tales From Verania, #2)
  • A Wish Upon the Stars (Tales From Verania #4)