Start by marking “A Destiny of Dragons (Tales From Verania, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Destiny of Dragons (Tales From Verania, #2)

A Destiny of Dragons

(Tales From Verania #2)

Sequel to The Lightning Struck Heart Once upon a time, the wizard’s apprentice Sam of Wilds got his happily ever after in the arms of his cornerstone, Knight Commander Ryan Foxheart. A year has passed, and while Sam’s been captured five or six more times since then, things are pretty great. His parents are happy, Gary and Tiggy still eat sass for breakfast, Randall is some ...more
Published June 30th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about A Destiny of Dragons, please sign up.
Kennie A Destiny of Dragons narrated by Michael Lesley: TBA Fall 2017 (from the authors homepage)

Start your review of A Destiny of Dragons (Tales From Verania, #2)
T.J.
Jul 09, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
Updated 11/17/17:

Just in time for the release of the next book in the series, The Consumption of Magic, the audiobook for A Destiny of Dragons, narrated by Michael Lesley, is now available!

Audible: https://goo.gl/YWLu9K

Enjoy!

tj

Dreamspinner: https://goo.gl/xLf8qg

Amazon: https://goo.gl/56N4aN

B&N: https://goo.gl/cIi0aU

Kobo: https://goo.gl/d6h4Ck
☆ Todd

I truly loved every page of this story, but I admit that I went into it expecting the same over-the-top comedic punch to the face that T.J. delivered in "The Lightning-Struck Heart."

However, this story showed a lot more restraint with those punches. It was almost as if the fists had uncurled and turned into much more gentle, tickling fingers, instead, dug firmly into my sides.

Yes, I laughed, snorted and giggled (shut up, I was still totally manly about it!) through all 400 pages, as evident in t
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Audiobook narration: 5 stars
Book + narration: 3 stars
Book by itself: (you don't want to know...)

Yes, I know, you don't even have to tell me! Amidst the sea of 5-star reviews, my pouty, downer review sort of... sucks.

I absolutely adore T.J. Klune, and I've never given him less than 3.5 stars (rounded up), so this is a departure for me. However, I almost DNFed A Destiny of Dragons (confession: I super-speeded through the end because I was over it by then), and there is just no way I can muster u
Jewel
4.5 Stars

The Lightning-Struck Heart was often compared to The Princess Bride (but more gay), and it was that. A Destiny of Dragons, though, reminded me a lot more of The Lord of the Rings, but funnier (and, ya know, more gay), and to me, anyway, more down to earth. While this series is, so far, Sam's Hero's Journey (it's capitalized, so you know it's a thing), the story doesn't take itself too too seriously. And I loved it. TJ, TJ, TJ -- you need to write faster!

A Destiny of Dragons is delightfu
Renée
Spoiler-free review:

~4.5 stars~

If you asked me what my favorite MM romance book is, I would say, without hesitation, The Lightning-Struck Heart. If a book can make me both 1)laugh out loud with the banter and 2)make me cry because of feelings (I'm a cold-hearted bitch who doesn't cry), it's doubtful that book will not be a 4-5 star read. TLSH delivered more lolz and wookie cry face moments than any book out there, at this point in time. It's been out for two years, and I've read it six times
Wendy

I have said it before and I am saying it again... TJ Klune must possess some kind of magic himself. Once again he has left me in awe...imageedit_532_9548003721

11124595.gif (500×272)

I have re-read "The Lighting Struck Heart" over and over again...I will continue to do so in the future because it never fails to put a smile on my face. It is the funniest book I have ever read and for those of you who haven't read it yet...

Please go do it now, you will thank me later. 36564-big-smile-emoticon-for-facebook

tumblr_mk4l1sYLbj1s9n4cro1_500.gif (500×180)

This book is one of the 3 books that will follow my favorite gro
Len Evans Jr
This second book in the series continues SAM AND COMPANY'S ADVENTURES (all caps mean that's now a thing). This book was in every way just as hilarious as the first... just as suspenseful and just as much of a joy to read. Not too mention I definitely want to be part of a SAM AND RYAN SANDWICH (all caps again you get it). T.J. Klune is just masterful in his writing, the humor, the world-building, the character development (Gary), and the wanting to smack someone upside their authorish (is that ev ...more
Jilly
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sassiness starts even before the book starts. The dedication in this book:

"For my eighth-grade creative writing teacher who told me that my stories would never amount to anything.

Suck it.

Well, that starts things off on the right note! How could this book be anything less than magic after an opening like that?

The story starts when Sam's grandmother comes to town. She hasn't seen Sam's parents since she banished his mother for marrying outside the clan, and let's just say that her feeling
Diana
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Once again, T.J. Klune’s writing sucked me into the story of a land full of magic where good versus evil. Sam of Wilds and his “gang” are off on a new adventure. There is Gary, the hornless unicorn, is still sassy as he protects Sam, in his own way. Tiggy, the big hearted, sweet half giant, makes your heart melt. Of course, you cannot forget Kevin, the horny “Beast from the East” dragon, who made me laugh out loud more times than I can count and of course, Ryan, the Knight Commander, who has Sam
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, fantasy

➦Honestly... honestly I've never thought that a gay unicorn could make me cry... from laughter, mostly. These characters T.J. Klune created are completely obnoxious but I ended up falling in love with all of them.

➦I don't even think this particular series can be classified in any one category... It has fantasy, humor, and romance all in one. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys M/M. This second installment sure did bring some extra steam to satisfy those who might be curious abo
Meags
4.5 Stars

A Destiny of Dragons is just as impressive in scope and as side-splittingly hilarious as its predecessor, but with an even more pronounced sense of epic-ness, if that’s at all possible.

In this sequel to The Lightning-Struck Heart, Sam of Wilds and his remarkable gang of misfit friends are all here and accounted for, this time facing challenges far greater and more life threatening than anything they’ve encountered before.

Some seriously problematic and potentially horrific prophesied sh
Book Roast
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNFed at 50%

I had such a great time with the first book but I think the novelty wore off and it didn't offer anything extra. It started to be draining if nothing else and after a pause I just found myself not really caring. Maybe it's the mood, who knows! Hope others enjoyed this :)
BWT (Belen)
ETA for audiobook 11/20/2017

While I was reading the book I kept picturing in my head how it was going to sound when it came out on audio. I didn’t even come close. Michael Lesley blew my expectations out of the water and does another fantastic job! He continues to prove just how perfectly cast he was for this series.

The narration isn’t flawless.
There are some changes to some of the character voices – for example Kevin's voice is not so deep and the echo is a little less pronounced as well becau
Ariana
Reread March 2018.
And every single word of my original review stands.
(and Zero is just a stroke of genius!)

“You have a destiny Sam.”

Yeap. That sentence kind of sums this book up.

Sam isn’t simply a wizard’s apprentice who gets to live his HEA with his “strong and brave, dashing and immaculate” Knight Commander. No, the universe has got much bigger plans for him. Plans, he really really doesn’t want to have a part in.

Then ancient secrets are revealed, trust is broken and old friendships are ch
Christelle
I will never forget how much I enjoyed the fantasy tale (for adult only !!) that The Lightning-Struck Heart was. So much laugh and so many feels brought by a cast of crazy but oh so engaging characters, Sam the Wizard (OK, apprentice !!), Ryan the dashing knight, Tiggy the incredible Hulk half giant, Gavin the Unicorn PG18, scratched that, PG 30 and Kevin the perv dragon.

So, all of them are still together, still talking non-sense, still making me laugh while sometimes scarring me for life (I don
Chelsea
4.5 hearts!

“Fuck dragons,” Gary said. “You’ve got a destiny of dick ahead of you.”

Look, if you're reading this book it's means you've already read the first book and most likely freakin loved it! (If you haven't, well go read the first book!). The story is so riveting, I thought it'd take ages to read a book this long but I was glued to the friendship, love, humor and adventure on each page!

I adore these characters and want them tattooed all over my body, like every where! Kevin would appro
Chris
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one took me a while but I blame my post surgery drugged out state ! I love TJ - one of my all time favorites and again he didn't disappoint. I found it a bit slow at first and I was waiting for the ridiculous hilarity I was expecting only to realize this was a lot more composed with an almost " serious " edge to it .... my oh my Sam is growing up ! This story stayed on the path of Sams destiny and the dragon connection. While this was the key factor I must say I loved the chemistry between ...more
Catherine Russell
Nov 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: MM Fantasy Lovers
Book: A Destiny of Dragons
Author: T.J. Klune
Type: Book 2 in 'Tales from Verania'
POV: First Person - Sam
Genre: MM Fantasy Romance
Rating: 4 Stars!

Age: Sam - 21; Ryan - 26.

He leaned in and kissed me, slow and sweet as molasses. And I took everything he was giving me and gave back as much as I could. Because that's what we did for each other. He might have been my cornerstone, but I wanted to be the same for him, even if he didn't have the magic I did.

What was that! A pseudo-
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars!

Not surprisingly, I don’t have much else to say or add to the multitudes of reviews loving this book hard except that I concur! This is full of adventure and so much snark that the genius of Klune consistently shines through!

Sam is still Sam. Kinda oblivious, definitely talkative, one who finds himself in all the crazy situations one can dream of and then some, but when push comes to shove, he is a man of honor and goodness.

Right by his side is the ever faithful Gary, Tiggy (I love him
Elsbeth
You are not ready, the Great White had said.,
There will be loss, the star dragon had said.
Fuck them.
Fuck them all.
I was Sam of Wilds.
And I was going to face my godsdamned destiny

description

GODS, how I loved this book. It wasn’t that OTT hilarious as the first one of the series The Lightning Struck Heart, but I loved it nevertheless. Sam and Ryan’s relationship was solid. It was good to experience a more serious Sam. Although this book was still full of ridiculously silliness.

All the other characters we
Jenni Lea

A Destiny of Dragons is my most anticipated read of 2017. I have been waiting for this book since I first read The Lightning Struck Heart and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. Did it meet my expectations? Nope. It exceeded them.

This story has a more serious tone than TLSH. Now, that isn’t to say it doesn’t have humor; there’s plenty of snark and witty banter, but it doesn’t have the cracky hilarity that I found in the first book. And, to be honest, I think I liked it better that way. Sam’
Kaitlin
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, fantasy which can make you laugh out loud is rare, but this is genuinely fabulous. It's certainly not a PG Series as there's loads of lusting and sexy-time, but there's also an awesome storyline, a great set of LGBTQ+ characters and, DRAGONS.

If you love book #1 I am sure you'll also love this one. My fiance and I read it together (listening to the audiobook over the course of a good few months when doing DIY/long drives) and we both think it's brilliant.

The plot is second only to the hum
Karen
If you thought the e-book was good...

You really, really need to listen to this one on audio...

When this was first released back in June of this year I read it...there was no way I was waiting any longer for more Sam, Knight Delicious-face, Gary, Kevin and Tiggy and I loved it the story was all kinds of epic and awesome and I distinctly remember writing a rather effusive review...pictures were included, here's the link if you're curious... Review: A Destiny of Dragons

Michael Lesley was the n
Ann
Edited to add my review for the audio . . . .

I honestly had some trouble starting this review.

What can I possibly say that hasn’t already been said? For some fangirling reference, check out our group review when the book was released https://boymeetsboyreviews.blogspot.c.... I stand by it all and then some.

So, to at least keep this review from going stale, I’m going to focus on the sublime pairing of T.J. Klune’s words and Michael Lesley’s narration. Listening to A Destiny of Dragons is not a
Susan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm

I didn’t love this like I thought I would. And I feel so sad about it.

This book felt VERY different from the Lightning-Struck Heart, which is my favorite book of all time (I even got a cat whom I named Sam). TLSH was funny, upbeat and just such a happy book. This book was all gloom and doom. Yes, there were the jokes, but it was hard to really get into the fun of it when there was the constant threat of death and betrayal, and then more death.

What I loved about the first book was the bo
Angela
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, audiobook
Ohmygod
Ohmygod
OHMYGOD!!!!

Where does the fan club meet?!
Karen
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you read 'The Lightening Struck Heart' than...

you know you want this book and if you haven't read TLSH...what the hell dude? Seriously what are you waiting for? You need this book in your life. For one thing because it's awesome and secondly because you can't read 'Destiny of Dragons' without reading 'The Lightening Struck Heart' first and who wants to miss out on 2 awesome books when they don't have to...just putting that out there for the universe...

'Destiny of Dragons' is fantasy...no wai
Stacey is Sassy
The writing and the acting together, makes magic…

I thought about reading A Destiny of Dragons when it was originally published. T.J. Klune is a brilliant writer. His stories come to life and you see each character, the world they live in and the lives they lead. I know I could have read with my own little eyes and experienced that wonder and been completely satisfied. However, I knew that if I added in Michael Lesley and his fantastic voice-acting…well, I would be treated to a masterpiece. One w
Chris, the Dalek King
A Destiny of Dragons is the very much anticipated sequel to The Lightning-Struck Heart. The first book in this series was a bit of a shocker for me, with an odd yet absolutely hilarious concept and execution, so I couldn’t wait to see what was in store next for Sam of Wilds and his band of merry misfits.

This story picks up a little bit after the close of book one. Sam and Ryan are (finally) happy and in love, and the world seems to be coming up roses and hornless unicorns. Yet all that is thrown
Lisazj1
Re-read audio January 31, 2019

Just as full of hilariousness and feels as the first time. Getting to hear all my favorites' own "voices", brilliantly performed by Michael Lesley, is always a treat. Verania and all her wonderful book-people *and magical creatures, of course* will never get old, no matter how many times I read or listen. <3

******

1st read July 1, 2017

So many times with follow ups to well loved books, expectations can be a real bitch. If you read The Lightning-Struck Heart *and of co
The Backlot Gay B...: A Destiny of Dragons (Verania #2) by TJ Klune 2 14 Nov 10, 2017 08:37AM

• Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Tournament of Losers
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero
  • A Vigil in the Mourning (Soulbound, #4)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • A Villain for Christmas
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • How to Elude a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #2)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories.

Tales From Verania (5 books)
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • The Consumption of Magic (Tales From Verania, #3)
  • A Wish Upon the Stars (Tales From Verania #4)
  • The Damning Stone (Tales from Verania #5)