Start by marking “The Sound of Seas (The EarthEnd Saga #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Seas (The EarthEnd Saga #3)

The Sound of Seas

(The Earthend Saga #3)

From Gillian Anderson and Jeff Rovin – the final book in their ‘addictive’ (Marie Claire) Earth End Saga comes to a thrilling conclusion in a wild story involving time travel, ghosts, alien technology, and strange spiritual powers… the perfect combination for X-Files fans.
   After discovering the secrets to the Gaalderkhani tiles – ancient computers that house not just me
Published September 13th 2016 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Seas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Seas

Elaine
I know I'm not the only one going Huh? and I won't be the last.

Channeling Mulder, I Want to Believe in this book with potential but so many unanswered questions including:

1. How the f**k did Caitlin O'Hara save herself and Jacob and return to their time?

2. What was the spirit of Caitlin O'Hara actually doing at the fall of Gaalderkhan?

3. How do the olivine tiles actually work? Are they like the memory crystals Superman has at the Fortress of Solitude? (I'm talking Christopher Reeve-Superman, n
Maria
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember having mentioned a certain turbulence when reviewing A Dream of Ice. I was referring to the process of getting back into the storyline after a rather long intermission. I am pleased to announce that nothing of the sort happened when starting The Sound of Seas. To be quite honest, it surprised me how quickly I fell back into it, as if we had never truly parted ways. For such a dense novel, in the sense of being incredibly rich in detail, I find that to be extraordinary.
“Either everythi
Marlene
More of a 2.5
Ricky
I'm sorry to report that while the first two books in Gillian Anderson and Jeff Rovin's trilogy managed to deliver surprisingly good adventures, the finale caps things off in a slipshod, disjointed fashion. It splits its story too many ways to count, doesn't focus enough on the main plot with Anderson's obvious Author Avatar Caitlin O'Hara (I hear she narrates the audiobooks too, of course), and overall feels like it's throwing up too much information to keep track of for its barely 300-page len ...more
Billie
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, having completed the trilogy, all I have to say is What. The. Fuck. I still don't know what the hell just happened or what the purpose of this story was or really much of anything. I have soooooo much to say, but it's 6:30 in the morning, so my thoughts are going to have to wait until my brain is more awake.
Jessica | Booked J
(*3.5 stars)"I am constantly searching for places that rekindle my sense of wonder."

In the conclusion of Gillian Anderson and Jeff Rovin's highly entertaining The Earthend Saga it is apparent that the answers we so desired from the getgo are fast approaching. The Sound of Seas was the perfect final installment to the highly entertaining series and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Much like its previous releases, The Sound of Seas follows a similar path of history, science fiction
Chameleon Bay
Not really my cup of tea, but I guess I liked this more than the parts I and II of this saga.
Mel
I have to admit I was quite disappointed with the conclusion of this trilogy. The first book showed such promise, and then it all kinda went downhill from there. This was a very odd conclusion to a trilogy as it felt like very little was happening. There were some quite interesting things that happened in the old civilisation but it just didn't tie together very well. The "explanation" at the end was just rather baffling, trying to pull in string theory in a way that made no sense at all. And th ...more
Dani Kass
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This was the hardest book in the series to read, especially the first half. It felt like the writing was rushed and editing was skipped over. I was lost most of the time, which was partially my own fault because I forgot a lot of the previous book. Still, they should have found a way to work in some background before chapter 12.

The ending, however, was satisfying and I surprisingly really enjoyed the more philosophical parts toward the end. I'm very excited to see this done as a TV show.
Michala Ann
Apr 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, so I cheated & went straight for the audio. Because Gillian Anderson could read a Flushing phone book to me and keep me enthralled... Sadly, I still don't have any idea what this book is about...
julia
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, in-english
This was not nearly as interesting as the first two books in the series. :/
Lucile
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I've been listening to this series on Audible. Gillian reads it which I really enjoy. I suggest you read them in order. These books are not predictable which I really appreciate!
Smee Reader
It was a hard slog getting through this final book in the Earth End Saga. It tried so very hard to be clever. The writing was accessible, though repetitive. It isn't that the idea wasn't fun, it was. I was compelled to get to the end to see where it went, if it really was aliens or some other clever twist. It was just a lot of hard work to get there. A lot of the time I wished that the three books had been compressed into one bigger one, or even two.

Some of the problems, as I see them, from the
Gavin Felgate
Bobby Luke
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pace certainly picked up from the second book, which was very much needed. I was pretty intrigued and enjoying the ride the entire time, instead of being bogged down constantly like what happened in the last book. Unfortunately, although the book was fast paced and hard to put down, the payoff wasn't quite what it needed to be. It closed up the story threads, and explained a few things - but it all seemed to work out too easily, some of it was hard to follow, and we are left with more questi ...more
Katie Whitman
2.5 Stars

This series had a lot of promise. The pacing of this final installment was off. To me it dragged on forever and the ending was kind of vague. I felt like it just ended abruptly and even though there was an epilogue it didn't add any in depth explanation to how the story "resolved."

That being said the whole time I was reading each book in the series I thought this whole concept would have almost worked better a script for a movie or miniseries. I think the vagueness of the ending would w
Odyssey
A decent finale to the trilogy, but unfortunately nothing spectacular happened to change my opinion of the series.
First book had a disappointing ending, second book was quite a bit better and third maintained the quality but that was about it.

Without revealing too much of the story, the book goes back and forth between now and the past and introduces some new characters.
For my tastes the book has too much of a spiritual/metaphysical leaning and suffers for that.

All the books in the trilogy wer
Brian McConnell
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will admit I didn't expect a lot going into this book given the first two books of the series were average to acceptable. I'm happy to say this final book was a joy to read and did a great job of wrapping up the series. Anderson and Rovin even manage to roll a little theology into this third book, which I enjoyed. Overall I'm glad I gave them a chance, and can say that I would recommend them to any sci-fi fan.
Nikki
A disappointing conclusion to the trilogy, but has a lot of potential for a possible movie adaptation, where many of the problems I had with the story could be resolved with some visual storytelling. As it stands, I still don't really understand how the tiles work, or really any of the science, and felt like this book got bogged down by logistics and the plot suffered because of it.
Debby Stassek
Lana
I read this one close on the heels of the second, so I didn't have any trouble keeping up with things.

Ghalderkhaan is a rich, but not perfect, society and Caitlin's connection to it holds both positive and negative ramifications, for her and for people connected to her.

The ending of the trilogy give the term Big Bang a whole new context, and Caitlin's final experience with respect to Ghalderkhaan was chock full of food for thought.
Marinello
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a nutshell, I thoroughly enjoyed the series but this ending felt kind of abrupt. As if there was a nasty deadline and they needed to wrap everything up really quickly, no questions asked. Still a page-turner.
Emily
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Bloated, long, dull, and confusing end to the series. I just skimmed through the last 30% because I was so bored and irritated. Even though I skimmed, I still think there were big plot holes in the conclusion. I would not recommend spending your time on this trilogy.
Virginia Jb
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great end to a great story! I have really loved this trilogy, I love Caitlin and Jacob, I love how the story develops and I love the message it sends. I recommenf everyone to read this original saga, it's really worth it!
Julie
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this trilogy is the strongest. It could almost stand alone except for a few unanswered questions. Books 2 and 3 seem to have some disconnect between moving the plot forward and trying to answer all the unanswered questions; it felt a bit rushed and sloppy.
Lushr
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed this series, but this third and seemingly final book was the weakest for the very fact that do little happened, and so little was resolved.
Brooks
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overall OK. Some interesting characters but generally found it difficult to remain interested. A couple of basic ideas spread thinly across 3 books.
Jamie Farquharson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great end to the series, although in places something of a carbon-copy of the second. I'll file this under X for "xerographic".
Joe Seliske
The main character gets back to normal in the end, but after a convoluted journey through this book and trilogy. Book three is more confusing than the first two. The characters and the ancient history are not well-explained leaving the reader to take their best guess. The trilogy does seem like an X-Files episode - one of the ones that people did not understand. Sorry Gillian - you can dabble in writing, but don't make it a full-time job.
Dave Johnson
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-loan
Not great, didn't measure up to the other books in the series. Seemed rushed. I didn't enjoy large parts of the story.
  • Supernova (Lightless, #2)
  • The Complete Bloodling Serial
  • A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2)
  • The Science of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #4)
  • One Cut Deeper (A Killer Need, #1)
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • Final Girls
  • Sideswiped (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The X-Files: Stolen Lives (X-Files, #2)
  • What Doctor Gottlieb Saw
  • The Spirit Chaser (Spirit Chasers, #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Good Knight (The Last Good Knight, #1-5)
  • Fitting Ends
  • Silenced (Lucy Kincaid, #4)
  • The Master (The Gameshouse, #3)
  • Doc and Fluff: The Dystopian Tale of a Girl and Her Biker
  • Wicked Bite (Realm Enforcers, #5)
Gillian Anderson is an award-winning film, television, and theater actor and producer, writer, and activist. She lives in London with her daughter and two sons.

The Earthend Saga (3 books)
  • A Vision of Fire (The Earthend Saga #1)
  • A Dream of Ice (The Earthend Saga #2)