Start by marking “Diggum” as Want to Read:
Diggum

Diggum

When personal tragedy strikes, some men pray. Other men despair. This man goes to war.

Meet Diggum, the local graveyard caretaker, who lives in a small cottage at the edge of the lot. Diggum has spent most of his life angry with God, whom he blames for the devastating house fire that cost Diggum his family.

But Diggum has a secret. It is a secret he will carry to his own gra
ebook
Published October 1st 2016 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Diggum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diggum

Start your review of Diggum
Danger
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick novelette about a creepy cemetery caretaker that plays out like an episode of Tales from the Darkside. Written with the affectation of the southernly gravedigger himself, the tone is set right away and holds steady, slowly building towards a sinister and satisfying conclusion. The book itself costs 99 cents (for my Kindle) and took me 40 minutes to read. You’d be hard-pressed to find that much entertainment for a dollar anywhere else.
J.A. Sullivan
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My plan was to listen to the audiobook version of Diggum while cleaning my office, but I was so engrossed in the story that all I could do was sit down and hang on every word.

This is one of those stories that's hard to review without ruining the story for someone that hasn't read it. So I'll just say if you like cemeteries, sharp axes, blood, and guts, you won't be disappointed. The last scene is terrifying, and the final images and words will probably be playing over in my mind for days.

I haven
Kristina Gallo
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diggum is not an ordinary caretaker. He lost his beloved ones and decided to see how is to live in God's skin. I could say that he is a cool practical guy if he would not be a killer. He just doesn't want that anyone pokes nose in his business until he is doing his "special collection. " The author uses his dark sense of humor and good narrative style in this book too, pushing readers to read between lines until the end of this book. Yes, it is creepy and not for weak nerves, but it could not be ...more
Bert Stanton!
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bert by: Danger
Good, engaging story about a graveyard caretaker who spends his time digging up the graves of the recently deceased. It's written in the first person, which works great, but the main character's voice could have been dialed back a bit.
G.M.
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diggum is a gravedigger on a mission (I don't want to spoil the story). Rest assured it is a great read. The build up was sinister, his back story harrowing. The story is written from a first-person point of view and you soon build up a sense of who the character is.

I found the narrative realistic and intriguing, not over complicated. The story is unsettling in places, but hey, that’s horror. Not for the faint of heart. If you like horror than you need to read Diggum. I enjoyed and couldn't put
Angie Bulkeley
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes when reading a short story/novella, I tend to be left wanting more. Thorne's Diggum, however, packs everything I need into tight, quick read that's impossible to put down once started. Diggum possesses the perfect amount of character development, allowing the reader to feel empathy for its main character (despite his shortcomings) in such a brief tale. Capped off with a perfectly terrifying ending, Diggum is a must-read for any horror fan.
AudioBookReviewer
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
My original Diggum audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Going into this with no expectations as I have never read or listened to a book by Isaac Thorne, but I have followed him on Twitter for some time. So I think I have an idea of what to expect, however not really sure. Isaac Thorne decided to narrate his own book. I have listened to disastrous author narrated books in the past and I have listened to exception ones as well. So I have learned that finding an autho
The Grim Reader
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Isaac Thorne is a new writer to me. He has a number of short stories available online. Writing in the horror genre, Thorne adds a little dark comedy to his stories. Now, I sometimes have a bit of a problem with comedy and horror. If there are too many attempts at humor, it can often lead to the story becoming a bit of a slog, after all, we all have different opinions about what is funny and what isn't. One example would be that some people think Adam Sandler is funny...see what I mean?! Thankful ...more
Leo McBride
Nov 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Next time you drive by a cemetery, take a look. A good look. Does it creep you out? Does it make you wonder what's in there? What's under the earth? Read Diggum, it makes cemeteries even creepier.
It's a short story but not too short. It takes its time to feel the earth between its fingers. It takes its time to make the fear creep up on you.
This is the tale of a gravedigger, who came to live in a small cottage in the cemetery after fire took his family. Well, he's got a place to live, and a job
William Blackwell
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Diggum is the main character in Isaac Thorne’s short dark horror tale. Diggum is down on his luck. He’s lost his home, his wife, and his daughter in a fire. And, due to the tragic hand he was dealt, he’s also lost his faith in God. If he ever had it.

Unable to deal with his grief in a healthy fashion, Diggum decides to take a job as a caretaker in a cemetery, believing life has no meaning anyway. We’re all born. We all die. May as well bury a few more. But Diggum’s psychosis goes deeper than that
Antony Stanton
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thrilling story that had me hooked from the start. The writing is exquisite and the tension is maintained throughout. Highly recommended.
Jason Kilgore
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got a chuckle out of Diggum's dark humor. The main character had a very consistent, folksy voice. He was twisted in his logic, and his goal of burning remains so they didn't go to God was intriguing. Told in first person, it was a little window into the crazy old, murderous, cemetery caretaker's head. I won't give it away, but the ending is a paranormal treat. And I got some good laughs. Worth a dollar or a pound to purchase this quick read!
Donna L. Snyder
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't think I'd like this book.

At first I couldn't get interested in this book. But when I got to the section with the eye my interest returned. So where the first half of this seemed slow the second half made up for it. It turned out better than I thought it would.
Darren Dilnott
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely superb

Terrific tale. Beautifully written and difficult to put down. If I could have given this more than 5 stars I would. Really looking forward to reading more from this author.
David Bernard Knight
Jul 30, 2020
Wendi
rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2017
Kim Napolitano
Jan 10, 2019
Andrea Merchak
Feb 12, 2019

• Transit to Scorpio (Dray Prescot, #1) (Delian Cycle, #1)
  • The Churn (The Expanse, #3.5)
  • Escape Hatch
  • Gods of Risk (The Expanse, #2.5)
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Night Shift
  • The Talisman (The Talisman, #1)
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
  • Hearts Are Like Balloons
  • Boy's Life
  • The Dead Wake Horror Collection Vol 1
  • The Fall of the House of Usher
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Quinsey Wolfe's Glass Vault (Glass Vault, #1)
  • Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
  • The Great and Secret Show (Book of the Art #1)
  • Imajica
  • Are You Listening?
Isaac Thorne is a nice man who has, over the course of his life, developed a modest ability to spin a good yarn. Really. He promises. He also avoids public men’s restrooms at all costs.

He considers himself a lover of books, music, movies, and other forms of pop culture phenomenon. His philosophy on his life is that it's all one giant experiment.

News & Interviews