Start by marking “Moriarty Meets His Match (A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moriarty Meets His Match (A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery, #1)

Moriarty Meets His Match

(A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery #1)

Professor James Moriarty has but one desire left in his shattered life: to prevent the man who ruined him from harming anyone else. Then he meets amber-eyed Angelina Gould and his world turns upside down.

At an exhibition of new inventions, an exploding steam engine kills a man. When Moriarty tries to figure out what happened, he comes up against Sherlock Holmes, sent to i
Published June 1st 2016 by Anna Castle

To ask other readers questions about Moriarty Meets His Match, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moriarty Meets His Match

Christina
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a Beta Reader I was lucky enough to be able to read this book before the final product was out. I must say it was fantastic. I truly enjoyed the twist that the author put on each character. Reading something from Moriarty’s point of view was both fun and exciting. This book will make you question all previous writings on Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty; who is the real villain after all?
Evelyn Morgan
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the premise of Moriarty being the good guy and Holmes merely an annoying character. But I enjoyed reading the mystery and wondering how the two main characters would ever get together to become Prof. and Mrs. Moriarty. A fun read.
Simona
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
In which Holmes is a pest and Moriarty a decent fellow...it was quite fun.
Debbie
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free
What a delightful book for a week of traveling! The right book at the right time.
In this twist, we follow Moriarty as the misunderstood hero of our story who is wrongfully accused by Sherlock Holmes for a murder he did not commit.
Diane Lomuscio
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a criminal

An absolute wonderful book starring Professor James Moriarity of Sherlock Homes fame. It’s a new look at the relationship between Moriarity and Homes with Moriarity as protagonist. Ms. Castle has completely changed the opinion that Homes is an incredibly insightful Detective & is perhaps the beneficiary of really good press. It does make sense that Homes’ friend, Dr. John Watson would only publish successful conclusions.
Read this book! It will transport you to Victorian Englan
R.J. Lynch
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to this book, the first in the Professor and Mrs Moriarty Mystery Series, because I so much enjoy the author’s Francis Bacon historical fiction series. The Moriarty books are different from the Francis Bacon books, as you would expect from such an accomplished writer, and it’s a mark of just how accomplished she is that – with just a couple of niggles, which I’ll come to – she manages so well the switch from Tudor times to the late Victorian age.

This book turns on its head the relationshi
Prof Thomas D Wilson
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little tedious in places

Generally the story rattles along, but it ha its longeurs. The re-imagining of the Holmes-Moriarty relationship is nicely done and quite convincing. American authors attempting English settings, however, tend to get little things wrong - the British Library did not come into existence until 1973. What Moriarty visited would have been its predecessor, the British Museum Library. And I doubt whether a well educated man of the time would have used "gotten", which dropped o
Rosanne Lortz
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having left his position at Durham University under a cloud, Professor James Moriarty now works at the Patent Office. When his old nemesis Lord Nettleton submits an engine to be patented, Moriarty notes that the machine is missing a vital gauge which will demonstrate its inferiority to the public. On the night before the exhibition, Moriarty surreptitiously installs the gauge on the machine. The next morning he attends the exhibition where, to his horror, he sees the machine explode when it is t ...more
Jennie Rosenblum
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I admit that I am a bit of a Sherlock Holmes fan - but probably more of a fan of the spin off books. This book is written from the point of view of Moriarty - James to be exact. And the lovely Angelina Gould, a recent widow (or is she - as she as problems recalling if the not real husband has been dead 12 or 18 months). James is quietly working away at the Patent Office but a minor disagreement and a chance to show his superior knowledge leads and explosion and a murder investigation by Sherlock ...more
Leslie
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was sitting on my Kindle over looked and ignored. I deeply regret that. This was a wonderful book with awesome characters and a thrilling complex plot.

This is a story that introduces us to Professor Moriarty. The son of vicar, and Mathematics chair who got on the wrong side of a spiteful peer and was forced to step down and take a job as a Patent Clerk. When the opportunity arises for him to give some comeuppance to this nemesis he hies off to the Exhibition hall to watch the failure o
Shannon Patterson
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
New spin with some familiar faces.

I absolutely loved the premise of this book. When I read the introduction I was intrigued. As a big fan of Sherlock Holmes I've always loved Moriarty and his portrayal. That being said I ended up having a major roadblock getting into this book. I think I just had a really hard time not seeing him as the guilty party. I kept putting this story on and reading something else, but then always came back to it. I did get to a point where I really did enjoy the story a
Catherine
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Weird premise, Cracking good cozy

I've read quite a few books partnering Sherlock Holmes with other characters in the Holmes universe. However, this story focuses on a non-criminal (yet) Moriarty with feeling, especially for his new wife, Angelina. I especially liked that reptilian visage dreamed up by Sir ADD are absent here. One feels for Moriarty trying to overcome his gender's view that women are soft and not too smart. He has only to see his wife, Angelina & her sister, Viola.
Charles L.
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful, historical mystery with wonderful characters

This author is a delight to read. She tells the story in beautiful use of language that catches the reader's imagination so that one actually feels present and involved- like getting annoyed with Sherlock's pomposity and arrogance as he rattles on with countless observations, and cheering when Moriarty finally explodes and fights back. The plot in this historical fiction keeps the reader in suspense until nearly the end, caught in twists
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program.

A fun whodunnit with a familiar cast of characters for those who know the stories of Sherlock Holmes. A well thought out mystery storyline worthy of Moriarty, although it does take a bit to get used to him being a reputable character. ;) I kept expecting the sly, cunning mastermind to reveal himself. Instead he is just an intelligent mathematician trying to solve a mystery or two... and perhaps woo a lovely lady along the way!

Definit
Michelle Cox
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I gave this 5 stars on Kindle read it in two sittings one this morning had to saty in bed til finished - what a shame!! I too had overlooked this one and I am so glad I decided to read it finally it was good with a really complex plot - I only worked it out towards the end, won't say how so no spoiler but it is very good. Will definitely be reading more by this author - next is the first of the Francis Bacon series
Kelli
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Sherlock Holmes mysteries and now I’m in Love with his nemesis Moriarty as well. You never think of the back story of a bad guy, but this book give you an insight into James Moriarty. Who would have thought of him as shy and in love. In this book he is more like Robin Hood than Al Capone. Good read.
Jean
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good read , indeed.

I am so pleased I decided to read Moriarty Meets His Match.
I postponed doing so for some time as having enjoyed Ms Castles other Francis Bacon books so much I was nervous of this different format would be a let down.
Quite the opposite , I believe I enjoyed Moriarty even more.
That is a great recommendation .
Janet
Being a devotee of Holmes’ world, I found this new-to-me series to be enjoyable but rather perplexing. I kept trying to figure out how it fit into the Holmes/Moriarty timeline. Castle admits she did not include much from Conan Doyle’s universe but it didn’t stop me from trying to properly place it.
Kerry Sharp
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice twist

This tale pops nicely into Conan-Doyles world. I like all the characters, the villlans are villainous the heroes heroic, even the minor characters have colour. The story flows with enough action and mystery to keep you reading. I will re-visit this series.
Sherry McWilliams
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Received this free for a review. The story is written in the style of Sherlock Holmes and this story is a spin off. In this story Moriarty becomes the main character and a good guy. I enoyed the story and found it entertaining. If you like Sherlock Holmes, you will like this book also.
Wade
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moriarty Meets His Match

This reverse on the Holmes Moriarty story is actually well told. Having read and enjoyed several different renderings of the Holmes mythos. This is actually the best and wittiest I have seen in awhile.
Linda
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well done!!

I liked this a lit. Waited for Angelina to become another actress singer so famous as a holmes' character. Well done the story was really well placed and written. The plot well done! Liked it a pot!!
Trudi Jorda
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. This gives the other side of the coin-- Professor Moriarty! It chooses to give him so much more depth and makes the usual hero Holmes sound more like an over rated jerk. Well written with plenty of twists and turns! Enjoy this good read!
Sandy Gruenke
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down.

Love the story! All the twists and turns kept you on the edge of your seat. The authors talent of description allowed you to see each character and scene in great detail.
Al Lock
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really fun read. Like Sherlock Holmes? Welcome to a very different look at Holmes and Moriarty, a view where Moriarty is the protagonist. Well-written, the book zips along and is lots of fun. Definitely worth the few hours it takes to read.
Ken Hines
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a delightful read

I am obsessed with Anna Castle. This and Francis Bacon are great. I love this series because of the love a fair being witnessed. I found this series by reading a novella of Professor and Mrs. This was really good and can't wait to start the next book.
Patricia
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english-mystery
Delightful read.

No graphic sex or violence
Larry
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Not the best Sherlock Holmes book I have read but it was well written and an interesting read. I will read other books from Anna Castle as the opportunity arises.
Catherine Nightlinger
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and interesting.

This story is interesting with a variety of characters and interesting plot. Nice lite reading that you can relax and enjoy with.
Bonnie Wilson
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in the rhythm of a Conan Doyle, but with Moriarty as the good guy. A fun twist - looking forward to the next in the series.

• The Shadow Files: A Limited Edition Collection of Supernatural Suspense Novels
  • Unpredictable Love (Shades of Love, TRUST Series #6)
  • The Masterkey (Masterful Book 0.5)
  • Little Flower
  • Shattered Memories
  • The Empathic Detective (The Empathic Detective #1)
  • To Kill a Sorcerer (Immortal Montero, #1)
  • Because of You
  • Falling Through Time (Scarab, #1)
  • Savannah Sleuth (Vigilantes for Justice #1)
  • Rebels and Realms: A Limited Edition Urban Fantasy Collection
  • Assassin's Soul (Angel Crusades, #1)
  • Nabvan (Warriors of Milisaria, #1)
  • Shadows and Stars: A Limited Edition Collection of Sci-Fi Romance and Paranormal Romance Novels
  • The Other
  • Java Frost (Cupid's Coffeeshop, #1)
  • Outlaw Unleashed (Aspen Valley Wolf Pack, #3)
  • The Krankies Go Dogging
Anna Castle writes the Francis Bacon mysteries and the Lost Hat, Texas mysteries. She has earned a series of degrees -- BA in the Classics, MS in Computer Science, and a Ph.D in Linguistics -- and has had a corresponding series of careers -- waitressing, software engineering, grammar-writing, assistant professor, and archivist. Writing fiction combines her lifelong love of stories and learning. Sh ...more

A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery (3 books)
  • Moriarty Takes His Medicine (A Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mystery, #2)
  • Moriarty Brings Down the House (Professor & Mrs. Moriarty Mysteries, #3)