Start by marking “Last Mechanic Standing (Wrench Wars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Last Mechanic Standing (Wrench Wars, #1)

Last Mechanic Standing

(Wrench Wars #1)

Everyone at Jim Irving’s garage is gung ho about Wrench Wars, a new reality show featuring mechanics. Everyone, that is, except talented mechanic Chandler Scott, the sole employee who has refused to sign the contract. The rest of the mechanics are pressuring him too, because without Chandler—and his volatile interactions with his boss—no one’s getting on the show.

Chandler’
Published July 6th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Last Mechanic Standing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Mechanic Standing

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
There's something about a man who works with his hands, who's not afraid to get down and dirty.

Chandler Scott is an exceptional mechanic and an even better lover. He's been secretly sleeping with the boss's son, Mark, for two years, and even though he hates Mark's homophobic asshat of a father, he can't quit, not when Mark needs him.

Chandler doesn't like the idea of being on a reality show; he doesn't want the attention, doesn't want to live his life on camera. But the producers of the show, i
Sheziss
For some reason I expected The Hunger Games in car version.

It’s nothing of the sort.

Chandler is the best mechanic in Jim’s garage and when the Wrench Wars TV program shows a mobid interest in them signing to participate in their garage competitition reality show, Chandler wants to refuse. He’s well aware the only motivation for Chandler being an essential requirement in the contract is that he crashes with his boss more often than not, which would lead to OTT drama and the maximization of the au
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Not too shabby for a novella....and considering I haven't liked most of LA Witt's recent stuff.

The story felt pretty complete, despite this one only being around 80 pages.

We have an established "couple" - Mark and Chandler.

Yeah...I kept thinking about this guy.

Though they are nothing alike. But when I hear Chandler, that's what comes to mind. They've been friends with benefits and best friends for around 2 years.

Really the book doesn't touch all that much on the wrench war theme, which I hon
.Lili.
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Cute- but I wanted more story.
CrabbyPatty
Mechanic
3.75 stars. Last Mechanic Standing is the first of four novellas in "Wrench Wars," the new Dreamspinner Press series written by L.A. Witt and Marie Sexton. It's a quick sexy read about a reality show set in a garage, and two secret lovers - mechanic extraordinare Chandler Scott and Mark, the boss's son. "They were … well, he wasn’t even sure what they were. Friends with benefits? Fuck buddies who happened to be friends?" Mark is in the closet because he has heavy student loan debt and is current
L.A. Witt
Jun 07, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
July 2016, 1st in a 4-book series written with Marie Sexton. (2 books written by Marie, 2 by me; includes re-releases of Normal Enough and Wrenches, Regrets, & Reality Checks.)
Ele
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
*4.25*

Loved this one! I wish it didn't end at 90%, though....
Pianka *call me PIU*
This book was short, like really short. If you have read the blurb then you know the story. It’s a novella, i know but still i felt like i was cheated out of a nice story with a grease covered hunk. L.A Witt always writes charged and emotional stories, so i was expecting this book to be something similar but it got over just as soon as it started. This was more of a section of a story about Mark and Chandler than an entire romance.

Mark and Chandler is having a clandestine affair behind Jim, mark
Christelle
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 stars rounded to 3 because I’m a fan of this author and the HEA was hot.

However, it didn’t work for me. It’s true I’m not a real fan of novellas, but more than that, I couldn’t find what I usually love about L.A.Witt stories, especially the out-of-the-chart sexual chemistry and banter between the MCs. And I didn’t buy the situation the MCs were thrown into :-(
Vallie
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a cute novella. The blurb pretty much spells out what is going to happen so there isn’t much suspense in terms of plot. However, it was still enjoyable to read.

Chandler worked as mechanic in Jim’s garage and had a secret friends-with-benefits deal with Jim’s son, Mark. In the midst of the pending reality show, which absolutely craved Jim and Chandler’s volatile working relationship, Chandler was coming apart at the seams from the pressure. The only good thing was his relationship with M
Lelyana

This book captured my attention soon as I'd read the blurb.
I'm a sucker of mechanics in my reading. And this is L.A. Witt, one of my auto-read MM author.
Add a gorgeous cover, then I'm sold.
As mentioned on the blurb, Chandler and Mark has been 'best friend' (with benefit) for two years.
It's just they're never really realized that it's been a long time they're fall for each other.
Jim, Mark's homophobic father is the reason. Mark is also has own reason not to coming out to his parent, i think I can
Ami

Well, I liked it.

It helped that Chandler & Mark were sort of an "established couple", so the romance was already built-in, considering that this is a novella. Their biggest obstacle is Mark's homophobic father and the fact that Mark will definitely get kicked out and out of job (while still in deep debt of student loan) if he comes out to his family. So I believed in Chandler and Mark from the very beginning. It was clear that they felt a lot more than just friends with benefits.

Th
BWT (Belen)
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2016
Quick novella with likable characters and an interesting set-up I could totally picture happening.

Not super descriptive on the smexy side of things, but enough to interest and kept the story flowing easily.

If you're looking for an established couple romance with enough heat to satisfy, this is a safe bet.
~Kristin~
3.5 Stars
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
*copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review*

*Note this review will be cross posted at Divine Magazine and Bayou Book Junkie*

It's funny, when I first started reading the m/m genre, L.A. Witt was one of the first authors I discovered. I remember scouring Goodreads and Amazon to find her books. I read a ton of them and although I didn't love every one of them, she quickly became one of my favorite authors. Since starting my blog a couple of years ago
Christy
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, arc, on-my-kindle
I am a big fan of L.A. Witt's very versatile and creative stories so it was a no-brainer to jump at the opportunity to read 'Last Mechanic Standing', the first book in the new series 'Wrench Wars'. I liked the concept of a reality show set in a garage, in part because my husband always loved to watch those and I've seen more than a few episodes. We always had the debate about what was real and what was fake, and those were fun discussions.

Chandler is really in a crappy place. He's the only hold
Nichole (DirrtyH)
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, m-m
So.... yeah, no.

The plot was thin, not entirely believable. There was no discernible chemistry between the MCs. I just did not care about anything happening in this book. The only saving grace was that it was short, so I was able to plod through pretty quickly.

(view spoiler)
Christine
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-read, ebooks
A short okay read about a garage involved in a reality tv show with a homophobic boss and an in the closet son in love with one of the workers.
Sheri
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you watch reality TV? I’m not a big a fan. What I am a fan of is reality shows in my books. And if you’ve heard me gush before, I’m a huge LA Witt fan. I can count on great men with a great story to share when it comes to anything that has her named stamped on the cover.

This time around we have the pleasure of two sexy mechanics.

Chandler is the best mechanic at the shop; which happens to be a good thing because he’s a bit of a hot head and constantly bashin’ n clashin’ with the boss man. When
Barbara Ingram
Heat Level: 3.5 flames out of 5
Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Review:
****4 Wrenchingly Good Stars****

Wow! I enjoyed reading this short, really intriguing novel by LA Witt. It had everything I love, intrigue, blackmail, angst and a little steamy sex thrown in for good measure. Add in the insan
Joyfully Jay
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Last Mechanic Standing is the first book in the Wrench Wars series written by both L.A. Witt and Marie Sexton. Two books in the series were previously released as part of a collection with Amber Allure and now those two are being re-released, along with Last Mechanic Standing and another new book, through Dreamspinner Press.

I tend to enjoy reality TV-based books and this story does a nice job giving us the seamy side of things. Chandler wants nothing to do with t
Aerin
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, m-m, part-of-a-series
When I realized how short this book was I let out a mighty groan of dislike. I usually have difficulty with short books and novellas because they tend to leave me wanting more, but this is L.A. Witt and I thought maybe I should have some faith. For as short as this was, I have absolutely no complaints! It was just the right length because it truly packed a punch and didn't give me any chances to get bored.

Mark has started working at his father's garage after college, and even though he hates be
Erica Chilson
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wickedreads, m-m, mm, 4-star
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Stars.

Last Mechanic Standing was set to the backdrop of a reality program. Chandler is the last hold-out on signing the contract to allow filming in their shop. Everyone has to sign, or it's a no-go. In a failing economy, the owner is close to losing his business, and his fellow mechanics don't have another career to fall back on, so there is a lot of stress on Chandler's shoulders as he tries to make an informed decision. But
Anke
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars say 'it was ok' and that's about it. Ok, not more. And the whole time I was reading it I had the feeling I already read this story. I even checked whether there was an earlier version of this, but - nope.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Mark and Chandler's story needed another 180 pages - they had very strong chemistry and the premise was very current day drama. The sex was hot as always and you could see the love between them. A solid sort for sure - with some backstory holes that would have enhanced.
Sara
Good lord. This. Was. Good.

I am a huge sucker for boys in the closet and when the closeted boys find someone who will do just about anything for them, including snuggling in that closet… I am a goner who has melted into a big puddle of goo. And goo, if ya don’t know, is good.

This is a short story so I’ll keep the review a short as possible.

Chandler and Mark are childhood friends and recently friends with benefits. Chandler works at Mark’s dad’s shop as a mechanic and Mark also works there as he
Amber
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Hearts

So, my only complaint which I am just going to get out of the way now is the fact that I wish so much that this was longer. In my mind I am fantasizing about how Chandler and Mark’s initially hooked up. I envision them dancing around each other until one of them gives into the attraction that is so electric between them. I would have loved to read their very first hookup. Other than that this was a really great story.

Chandler is explosive, hot tempered, and passionate. His feelings for M
Natalie
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
This wasn't an unlikeable story, but this far from LA Witt's best. It's short and it's also somewhat connected to Wrenches, Regrets and Realities, also written by Witt, from the Grease Monkeys, Inc. series. The story involves the same reality series and Reggie, from the prior stories is a small part of this one. There's a couple of somewhat hot sex scenes and an HEA. So, not terrible, but...

The premise is pretty far fetched. I just couldn't accept the rationales given for Mark and Chandler being
Ruthie Taylor
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This short, but very hot and sexy read is very enjoyable. Chandler works in a garage that is being courted by a tv production company for a reality show. He is not keen, not keen at all. His boss is a homophobe, and Chandler and Mark, the boss's son have been in a friends with benefits situation for the last two years. Not something that needs airing on tv. As things unravel for these men, they also come together - so so
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wildflowers
  • The Winter Prince
  • Out of My Mind (Browerton University, #3)
  • Romancing the Wrong Twin (Romancing the..., #1)
  • Champagne Kisses
  • Close to You (Sunshine and Happiness, #3)
  • Shadow Bound
  • You Never Know
  • Exchange of Hearts
  • Happy
  • Nightingale
  • The Marrying Kind (Owen & Nathan, #2)
  • Lost Along the Way (Tales of the Curious Cookbook)
  • Vampire Claus
  • Werewolves of Chernobyl
  • The Straight Boyfriend (Loving You, #3)
  • Cowboys Don't Come Out (Cowboys Don't, #1)
  • The Wolfing Way (Lifting the Veil #1)
L.A. Witt and her husband have been exiled from Spain and sent to live in Maine because rhymes are fun. She now divides her time between writing, assuring people she is aware that Maine is cold, wondering where to put her next tattoo, and trying to reason with a surly Maine coon. Rumor has it her arch nemesis, Lauren Gallagher, is also somewhere in the wilds of New England, which is why L.A. is al ...more

Wrench Wars (4 books)
  • Normal Enough (Wrench Wars, #2)
  • Wrenches, Regrets, & Reality Checks (Wrench Wars, #3)
  • Making Waves (Wrench Wars, #4)