Start by marking “Strange Dogs (The Expanse, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
Strange Dogs (The Expanse, #6.5)

Strange Dogs

(The Expanse #6.5)

Like many before them, Cara and her family ventured through the gates as scientists and researchers, driven to carve out a new life and uncover the endless possibilities of the unexplored alien worlds now within reach.

But soon the soldiers followed and under this new order Cara makes a discovery that will change everything.
Published July 18th 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Strange Dogs, please sign up.
Periklis It has been confirmed by the authors that the "tenth" book in the series will collect all the expanse short fiction & novellas.
Trebor I think this book holds up well as a stand alone and can be read without any major spoilers being revealed. The setting for the novella is the same…moreI think this book holds up well as a stand alone and can be read without any major spoilers being revealed. The setting for the novella is the same setting I suspect in going to be featured in the seventh novel, however the insights you can glean about future plot development are sufficiently vague that the mystery left at the end of book six remains largely intact. Going in the other directions any reference to plot lines from the previous novels in the timeline are again sufficiently vague to avoid revealing much about the previous books.(less)

Kevin Kelsey
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Posted at Heradas Review

“There are things I didn’t see before... ...there are other things here.”

Holy shit. This changes things.

I love that we get these short stories and novellas between the main Expanse novels. If the novels are considered big, pulpy action movies with great characters, then the short stories and novellas in The Expanse are tightly focused character pieces, in smaller stories. But this, this is something special in addition to all that. It stands incredibly well on its own as
Bradley
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life in the colonies meets a ghost story. Or rather, a Pet Sematary story. :) What better use for the strange alien techs can we devise?

All said, this short novella, perhaps novelette, paves the road for the strange, strange universe to come. :)

Not too bad. Slow because it *IS* a ghost story, but good for all that. :) Woof! Or, I should say, *chitter*
Trish
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an independent short story in the The Expanse universe (which is to say that the characters are completely unknown to us).

We're on one of the planets the rings have opened up to and are following a family - the parents being two scientists. One of their children was born slightly before they came here, the other on the planet even. They were supposed to live on said planet for 5 years but then the events from book 6 happen and they are stranded.
Naturally, the flora and fauna are quite d
Lindsay
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The latest of the Expanse novellas which have mostly been good standalone stories while acting as useful backgrounders for upcoming novels.

The story is set on Laconia, the colony that the renegade Martian Admiral Duarte has established as his power-base with the Sol system in chaos (see Babylon's Ashes). For a protagonist we have Cara, the ten year-old daughter of scientist colonists that predate the coming of Duarte and his soldiers. The "stick-moons", orbital military platforms that appear to
Justine
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read, audiobook
An interesting story that I'm sure isn't necessary to the flow of the main series, but I really did enjoy it.
Efka
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Strange dogs", IMHO, is probably the best "Expanse" novella of them all. I really enjoyed great worldbuilding, pace and the story itself were really good, too. But what impressed me the most is the fact the "James Corey" managed to write a mid-series novella, which can be read as a stand-alone by anyone. It doesn't matter if you read every single one book or novella of the series, or you're a newcomer - the story will be perfectly clear and won't require reading anything else to understand what ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: expanse, sci-fi
2.5*'s

I liked where the story ended up because it opens a lot of possibilities for the main series but my god that was slow. I also did buy the parents reactions three different times.
Rick
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Take Stephen King's "Pet Sematary" and make it a lot less scary and way more Science Fiction-y and you more or less have Strange Dogs. I liked it; it was definitely a story of a different kind for The Expanse franchise.
Ashley
I actually pre-ordered this and had it downloaded on release day, but never got around to reading it. Turns out there was no rush, it wasn't the best work I've read by these authors, but I did end up seeing the point of it by the end. I finally got around to it because I'm about to start book seven in this series (!) when I finish my current audiobook, and I wanted to have this read by then.

For almost all of this novella (it's around 80 pages, I think, but not sure because I read it on my phone)
William
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little novella, short but packed full of wonder and menace in an oh-so-normal new planet, Laconia. Parents are nervous about the takeover of the military from orbit, and times are changing.

Presented through the eyes of a child, the seemingly safe and familiar world shifts. A sequel or series would be nice based on this world.

Short but bitter-sweet.
Karen’s Library
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Well. That was. Interesting. I hope that whatever happened in this story is explained in Persepolis Rising.
Matt Wright
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Deeply unsatisfying.

By 50%, The authors had done a good job of world building and enough had happened to have me looking forward to the second half of the book.

What was the purpose of the "stick moons"?
Who created the dogs?
How was the proto molecule involved?

These questions and more - not answered.

One page later, the book came to an abrupt end and was bookended by a "preview chapter" for some other science fiction novel.

I've enjoyed the expanse novellas to date, but this one was utter shit.
Skylar Phelps
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How is it that I enjoy the novellas better than the actual series? Not really, but almost. This one was so good! The story was imaginative; I felt like anything could happen. I really enjoy children’s perspectives. I would say that this one is tied with The Vital Abyss for best Novella of the series so far. It was that good.
Lee
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Hmmm. Well yeah, that was............average. 2.5 stars at best. Not going to spend too much time reviewing this. Another pretty much tacked on short story modified to suit the world building of The Expanse.
Take Stephen Kings Pet Cemetery stick it on a planet with weird Fauna and Flora, have a character from the main Expanse series make a cameo to glue it together with the main series and call it a Novella.
The only upside of this story is if you enjoy the writing of the geniuses that James S A
David Holmes
I like The Expanse a lot, but its short side-stories don't do much for me. I typically don't start to engage with a book until I start to empathize with its characters, and that tends to take me a while. 81 pages isn't really enough time. I tend to like short fiction when it starts with characters I already know, and failing that, it needs to make every word count. Strange Dogs missed both marks. I also struggle with fiction from a small child's point of view.

That said, it's pretty clearly setti
M.
Holy hell, it deserves more than five stars.

Whatever I wanted to say aabout this novella, considering its weight and characterisation, Kevin had already said in his review here:

I'm positively stunned.
G33z3r
Interesting side-story excursion to a colony planet to see how events on Earth played out further out. Told from PoV of child on a farm, with a few glimpses into more adult concerns through the odd overheard conversation.

Makes me wonder if any of this will play out in the main storyline.
Stephen Richter
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
This short story did not use any of the major characters, rather it focus was on a young girl on a strange planet. Still it was a great story and again the audio done by Jefferson Mays was first class.
poiboy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Of all the Expanse novellas, this would have to be the most underwhelming. It's a solid start, and the usually great world-building introduces us to Laconia, but its too short. I doubt this tale will be resolved in book 7 Persepolis Rising. It's an obvious set-up that Laconia will be a major setting in the next book and well done there..

.. but this story needed an ending. :(
Rob
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the plot felt somewhat familiar like something I'd seen on the Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories (though on Earth not on another planet without spoiling it, it was very well executed. Caught the emotions well and how children would handle certain situations fantastically. Sets up book seven fantastically with some mystery included!
Indru
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has got to be the best Expanse novella to date. I simply love everything about it and it kept me hooked from start to end. I hope the dogs will appear in the next book!
Nadine
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
What?! That's it?!
I loved this! I only wish it was longer. I love stories about newly discovered worlds. I would definitely read a novel about this world.
Jim C
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short story that takes place in this amazing series. One doesn't need to read the other books for this one but you would be making a huge mistake by not reading them because this series is amazing. In this one, we get a look at Laconia which is one of the new worlds that humans have access to. I don't believe this short story is vital to the overall arc but I hope it is foreshadowing where this series is going.

One of the aspects that I love about this series is that we get different bo
Daniel
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Alien planets are alien.

Odlican uvod u neku bolju pricu ali ovako dodje nekako suvise kratko. Taman se zahukta i vec gotovo.

Prepuno potencijala tako da se nadam da ce razviti ovo na jos bolji nacin kasnije.
Janice
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Honestly, I was disappointed.

I love this series, so I was excited for a new novella. I pre-ordered it without even checking to see what it was about. The novellas often give a little more info about characters or situations going on elsewhere in the series. They're really good for that.

This novella takes place on one of the settlements beyond the gates. The colony has been established for about 10 or 11 years, and is doing pretty well. They don't have contact with earth now, and that's a concern
Tobias Langhoff
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Expanse short fiction continues to be very good short fiction. This one is the first one which really has no connection with the main plot (barring any tie-ins in the next novel, which might of course happen), and shows how large and expansive (pardon) that universe has become. A new and mysterious planet seen through the eyes of a child who has never set foot on Earth is an interesting perspective. The authors continue to play with genres, like they've done in the main novels; this story is ...more
Chessa
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eeeeeeek, this was a good one, even if it it's left pretty open-ended (be warned). This seems, like The Churn, one of *The Important Novellas* of The Expanse series - don't miss it if you're a fan! Elements are introduced that are surely going to be in future novels - and I AM SO HERE FOR IT!!!

(Side note: if you like alien dogs on alien planets, may I suggest An Oath of Dogs by Wendy N. Wagner? Good stuff).
Stella
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was very interesting, if this is a look ahead at something that will turn up further along in the main novels. It’s possible that it won’t, but it seems a new interesting subject to build conflicts and alliances about. The point of view of a ten year old felt mostly genuine, but not completely. That must be very hard to write, though.
Ausir
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
The best of the Expanse novellas so far. Can be read as a standalone, without knowing the rest of the series really.
Aaron
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn, that was a dark ending. Overall a great little novella with some interesting tidbits revealed that will have an impact on the main overall story. James Corey and the Expanse series is seriously one of the best Authors and tales around at the moment. Also, Jefferson Mayes is the perfect narrator for it.
Beyond Reality: Strange Dogs, Expanse #6.5 Short Fiction 4 13 Jun 15, 2018 08:28AM

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Untitled (The Expanse, #9)