Start by marking “Strange Dogs (The Expanse, #6.5)” as Want to Read:
Strange Dogs (The Expanse, #6.5)

Strange Dogs

(The Expanse #6.5)

Like many before them, Cara and her family ventured through the gates as scientists and researchers, driven to carve out a new life and uncover the endless possibilities of the unexplored alien worlds now within reach.

But soon the soldiers followed and under this new order Cara makes a discovery that will change everything.
Published July 18th 2017 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Strange Dogs, please sign up.
Periklis It has been confirmed by the authors that the "tenth" book in the series will collect all the expanse short fiction & novellas.…moreIt has been confirmed by the authors that the "tenth" book in the series will collect all the expanse short fiction & novellas.(less)
Trebor I think this book holds up well as a stand alone and can be read without any major spoilers being revealed. The setting for the novella is the same se…moreI think this book holds up well as a stand alone and can be read without any major spoilers being revealed. The setting for the novella is the same setting I suspect in going to be featured in the seventh novel, however the insights you can glean about future plot development are sufficiently vague that the mystery left at the end of book six remains largely intact. Going in the other directions any reference to plot lines from the previous novels in the timeline are again sufficiently vague to avoid revealing much about the previous books.(less)

Start your review of Strange Dogs (The Expanse, #6.5)
Kevin Kelsey
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Posted at Heradas Review

“There are things I didn’t see before... ...there are other things here.”

Holy shit. This changes things.

I love that we get these short stories and novellas between the main Expanse novels. If the novels are considered big, pulpy action movies with great characters, then the short stories and novellas in The Expanse are tightly focused character pieces, in smaller stories. But this, this is something special in addition to all that. It stands incredibly well on its own as
Bradley
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Life in the colonies meets a ghost story. Or rather, a Pet Sematary story. :) What better use for the strange alien techs can we devise?

All said, this short novella, perhaps novelette, paves the road for the strange, strange universe to come. :)

Not too bad. Slow because it *IS* a ghost story, but good for all that. :) Woof! Or, I should say, *chitter*
Justine
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second Read-July 2021 *4.5 stars*
I liked this even better the second time through. A great story about colonization of an alien biome viewed through the eyes of an Earth-born child who has never known any other home.

First Read-March 2018 *4 stars*
An interesting story that I'm sure isn't necessary to the flow of the main series, but I really did enjoy it.
Lindsay
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The latest of the Expanse novellas which have mostly been good standalone stories while acting as useful backgrounders for upcoming novels.

The story is set on Laconia, the colony that the renegade Martian Admiral Duarte has established as his power-base with the Sol system in chaos (see Babylon's Ashes). For a protagonist we have Cara, the ten year-old daughter of scientist colonists that predate the coming of Duarte and his soldiers. The "stick-moons", orbital military platforms that appear to
Trish
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an independent short story in the The Expanse universe (which is to say that the characters are completely unknown to us).

We're on one of the planets the rings have opened up to and are following a family - the parents being two scientists. One of their children was born slightly before they came here, the other on the planet even. They were supposed to live on said planet for 5 years but then the events from book 6 happen and they are stranded.
Naturally, the flora and fauna are quite d
Efka
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Strange dogs", IMHO, is probably the best "Expanse" novella of them all. I really enjoyed great worldbuilding, pace and the story itself were really good, too. But what impressed me the most is the fact the "James Corey" managed to write a mid-series novella, which can be read as a stand-alone by anyone. It doesn't matter if you read every single one book or novella of the series, or you're a newcomer - the story will be perfectly clear and won't require reading anything else to understand what ...more
Jamie
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent story that is pretty much a standalone, though ties into two minor characters in the main series. Intensely creepy with a strong Pet Sematary vibe. Not for the faint of heart! ...more
Adam
Review of the audiobook narrated by Jefferson Mays.

What a great novella! The best of the Expanse short fiction for sure. I didn't want it to end and was wondering why they didn't save this storyline for one of the main books (having since read Persepolis Rising, this book works as a great lead-in and introduction to Laconia).

Final verdict: 5 star story, 5 star narration, 5 stars overall
Scott  Hitchcock
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi, expanse
2.5*'s

I liked where the story ended up because it opens a lot of possibilities for the main series but my god that was slow. I also did buy the parents reactions three different times.
Veronique
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: r2019, stars-4-0, scifi
At the recommendation of friends, I picked this Expanse novella before diving properly into the latest novel of the series. As always, they were right.

This ‘ghost’ story is set on Laconia at the very beginning of its colonisation and follows a young girl. Cara’s narration is fascinating and, due to her age and perception, has an aspect of wonder that in the hand of an adult would have been horror. Brilliant!
Ashley
I actually pre-ordered this and had it downloaded on release day, but never got around to reading it. Turns out there was no rush, it wasn't the best work I've read by these authors, but I did end up seeing the point of it by the end. I finally got around to it because I'm about to start book seven in this series (!) when I finish my current audiobook, and I wanted to have this read by then.

For almost all of this novella (it's around 80 pages, I think, but not sure because I read it on my phone)
Matt Wright
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Deeply unsatisfying.

By 50%, The authors had done a good job of world building and enough had happened to have me looking forward to the second half of the book.

What was the purpose of the "stick moons"?
Who created the dogs?
How was the proto molecule involved?

These questions and more - not answered.

One page later, the book came to an abrupt end and was bookended by a "preview chapter" for some other science fiction novel.

I've enjoyed the expanse novellas to date, but this one was utter shit.
William
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little novella, short but packed full of wonder and menace in an oh-so-normal new planet, Laconia. Parents are nervous about the takeover of the military from orbit, and times are changing.

Presented through the eyes of a child, the seemingly safe and familiar world shifts. A sequel or series would be nice based on this world.

Short but bitter-sweet.
Karen’s Library
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Well. That was. Interesting. I hope that whatever happened in this story is explained in Persepolis Rising. ...more
York
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good!
Skylar Phelps
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How is it that I enjoy the novellas better than the actual series? Not really, but almost. This one was so good! The story was imaginative; I felt like anything could happen. I really enjoy children’s perspectives. I would say that this one is tied with The Vital Abyss for best Novella of the series so far. It was that good.
Dylan
Mar 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, libby, sci-fi, ebook
Protomolecule is back on the menu bois.

Reading this makes me wonder how much I missed out on by not reading the other novellas in the series. This sets up some seemingly big things for book 7 which will undoubtedly be a wild ride.
Lee
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Hmmm. Well yeah, that was............average. 2.5 stars at best. Not going to spend too much time reviewing this. Another pretty much tacked on short story modified to suit the world building of The Expanse.
Take Stephen Kings Pet Cemetery stick it on a planet with weird Fauna and Flora, have a character from the main Expanse series make a cameo to glue it together with the main series and call it a Novella.
The only upside of this story is if you enjoy the writing of the geniuses that James S A
M.
Holy hell, it deserves more than five stars.

Whatever I wanted to say aabout this novella, considering its weight and characterisation, Kevin had already said in his review here:

I'm positively stunned.
Udy Kumra
Sep 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-fiction
1/4/22: 4.5 stars. So maybe I was a bit seduced by this lmao. It's really good. But the first half definitely is just okay.

9/18/21: 5 stars. The first half was just okay. The second half blew my fucking mind. This story has gotta be some of the best stuff to ever come out of The Expanse.
Robyn
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A seriously creepy novella set on early Laconia. A good intro to Tiamat’s Wrath!
Swaye
Aug 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books, 2021, favorites
HOLY SHIT! This is incredible! I need a whole series just based on this novella!
David Holmes
I like The Expanse a lot, but its short side-stories don't do much for me. I typically don't start to engage with a book until I start to empathize with its characters, and that tends to take me a while. 81 pages isn't really enough time. I tend to like short fiction when it starts with characters I already know, and failing that, it needs to make every word count. Strange Dogs missed both marks. I also struggle with fiction from a small child's point of view.

That said, it's pretty clearly setti
Cathy
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A goodreads friend mentioned that this story made a lot more sense after reading Tiamat‘s Wrath. So here I am. I think you should avoid reading this before Tiamat.

Set on Laconia. The ship building platforms have just come online. And something else...

I find it eerie, how human and mostly nice Winston Duarte comes across here and in Tiamat‘s Wrath. Other than him nobody of the main storyline makes an appearance. It‘s an unrelated story, except for the pink elephant in the room... Enjoyable. A li
Dara
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this before Tiamat's Wrath. A few story points would have been clearer but there's no real detriment to Expanse #8.

Strange Dogs follows a 10 year old girl named Cara and her explorations of her home on Laconia. It was cool to see a smidgen more of Laconia, especially before major colonization. There is a minor cameo from a Persepolis Rising character that was neat.

James S.A. Corey continues to write compelling stories. The novellas have been very hit or miss but I think Corey h
Stephen Richter
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
This short story did not use any of the major characters, rather it focus was on a young girl on a strange planet. Still it was a great story and again the audio done by Jefferson Mays was first class.
Oleksandr Zholud
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a novella set in the Expanse universe, chronologically between Babylon's Ashes and Persepolis Rising. I read is as a part of Expanse Buddy Read in July 2020 at Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels group.

This a story set in one of the many new colonies to which the humanity got access via the gate and which became de facto cut off after the war. This is a story of ten-year girl Cara, who all her life was on the planet Laconia with her parents and a younger hyperactive brother Xan. The planet
poiboy
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Of all the Expanse novellas, this would have to be the most underwhelming. It's a solid start, and the usually great world-building introduces us to Laconia, but its too short. I doubt this tale will be resolved in book 7 Persepolis Rising. It's an obvious set-up that Laconia will be a major setting in the next book and well done there..

.. but this story needed an ending. :(
Julie
Oh, my god. This Expanse novella is set on Laconia(!!!) and it's amazing getting to see what things are like on this mysterious planet, this blank spot on the map. At the risk of giving away too much of the plot here, it's Pet Sematary but set on an alien world: unsettling, unnerving, and offers a deeply ominous hint towards what the next 'trilogy' arc might be about.

Our main character Cara is sweet, a little girl learning the ins and outs of life on an alien planet, growing up beyond the rings
Jim C
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short story that takes place in this amazing series. One doesn't need to read the other books for this one but you would be making a huge mistake by not reading them because this series is amazing. In this one, we get a look at Laconia which is one of the new worlds that humans have access to. I don't believe this short story is vital to the overall arc but I hope it is foreshadowing where this series is going.

One of the aspects that I love about this series is that we get different bo
Beyond Reality: The Expanse--Strange Dogs, Expanse #6.5 Short Fiction 4 17 Jun 15, 2018 08:28AM

• The Expanse Roleplaying Game
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)
  • Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory (The Murderbot Diaries, #4.5)
  • Project Hail Mary
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1)
  • The Future of Work: Compulsory (The Murderbot Diaries, #0.5)
  • ReDawn (Skyward #2.2)
  • A Desolation Called Peace (Teixcalaan, #2)
  • The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)
  • Sunreach (Skyward #2.1)
  • The Saliva Tree and Other Strange Growths
  • Cytonic (Skyward, #3)
  • Evershore (Skyward, #3.1)
See top shelves…

The Expanse (9 books)
  • Leviathan Wakes (The Expanse, #1)
  • Caliban's War (The Expanse, #2)
  • Abaddon's Gate (The Expanse, #3)
  • Cibola Burn (The Expanse, #4)
  • Nemesis Games (The Expanse, #5)
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse, #6)
  • Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7)
  • Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse, #8)
  • Leviathan Falls (The Expanse, #9)