Start by marking “The Lost Twin (Scarlet and Ivy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Twin (Scarlet and Ivy, #1)

The Lost Twin

(Scarlet and Ivy #1)

This is the story of how I became my sister…

A spine-tingling mystery set in a creepily atmospheric boarding school. Ivy must uncover the secrets behind her twin sister Scarlet’s disappearance before it’s too late.

When troublesome Scarlet mysteriously disappears from Rookwood School, terrifying Miss Fox invites her quiet twin sister Ivy to ‘take her place’.

Ivy reluctantly a
Published March 2nd 2015 by HarperCollins (first published February 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Twin, please sign up.
Ella Yes, very likely it is! I picked it up in a bookstore a while ago having heard about it lots, and it is A-MAZ-ING!
Lucy
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

cake and madness
I'm nearly 30 so I'm WAY out of the demographic for this book... HOWEVER... 10-13 year old me would have been just as excited for it because it had SO MUCH AWESOME, aka stuff I was and still am RIGHT INTO reading. Ballet! Secret diaries! Old timey boarding schools with midnight feasts! Mysteries! A horrible old teacher who was like a combination of Miss Havisham and Mrs Medlock! Creepy skeletons! And the most awesomely random, exciteable adorably nerdy and enthusiastic friend ever!

No matter how
Jessica
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRAVO! Truly, a around of applause is owed to Sophie Cleverly and The Lost Twin. I'm well out of the age range that this book is aimed at, but I absolutely adored every bit of it! I can only imagine how much excitement younger Jessica would have had, upon discovering this story. So many things I love are expertly wrapped up in here. Forbidding boarding schools, terrible headmistresses, brave girls, and tons of secrets. What more could a reader ask for?

If you've been following me for any length
Denise
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Being told that her twin sister Scarlet has died while away at school was without doubt the most horrible thing to ever happen to Ivy. Now the school invites her to take her sister's place - quite literally, as she only finds out once she has arrived at Rookwood. She is supposed to pretend to be Scarlet, imitate her down to the last detail and never ever let on that the real Scarlet is gone. What really happened to Scarlet seems more and more mysterious with this bizarre task, but some clues mig ...more
Robin Stevens
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ivy's twin, Scarlet, died tragically at her boarding school - and now Ivy has been brought to the same school, Rookwood, to impersonate her sister. But there's a mystery here, and Ivy and her new friend have to solve the clues that Scarlet has left behind to discover what happened to her, and what's wrong at Rookwood. This is a fun, exciting, puzzling story that's perfect for fans of my books! (8+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. Please do not use it in any marketing
Allie
The fact that my 12 year old daughter listened to this with us is worth 5 stars alone. (Although I may have done a bit of begging.)

My 16 year old son's rating: 4 stars
My 12 year old daughter's rating: 5 stars
My 10 year old son's rating: 5 stars

I guess I'll give it 5 stars as well, since I can't complain... although I will say I was surprised at how mean and nasty some girls were, threatening to kill people, etc. But I suppose that's how it could be in real life! :-/
Mollie Fredrickson
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, I wish there was a six-star option because this book was simple incredible.
Everything about it was perfect. The setting, the characters, the story, the style.
What a strong lead Ivy was, with Ariadne in toe. It made for a truly exciting, mysterious, and emotional journey. Will be buying and then reading the next one ASAP.
Asma-bookworm
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
omg!!!!! what a book ! i am totally in love with it , what an experience ; and what a plot ! i wished there were no end , i definitely recommend this one , you will not stop reading it till you reach the last page
Rogerio
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
You will be surprise with this book. The story is really good and for a great part original. I think thi is a difficult feat to achieve after you are familiar with Harry Potter and Hogwarts.
Here, there is no magic in this book. Everything is ordinary by ordinary people, which is actually great. But this is a well crafted story.
If you like clues, mystery, friendship you will find. Of course it is age appropriate to pre-teens, so do not expect the clues to be so difficult. I also like the way thi
Dom
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, Creepy 👀 and mysterious.
Nikki
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
Perfect middle grade mystery.

It’s very cleverly done, and super creepy in places. And very boarding school-y too, with horrible girls and teachers. Ivy is a great main character - really coming out of her shell and into her Scarlet persona, and of course wonderfully backed up by the fabulous Ariadne.

Rookwood sounds like an utterly horrible school to go to, and one of my favourite things is getting to visualise so much by Ivy going around trying to find Scarlets clues. It’s brilliant!

The myste
Sophia Luo
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice ending. It's really mysterious and a bit creepy too. The only problem is, it's so unrealistic and hard to believe. Still great book tho.
16BlandfordI
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first one of these books I have read, one year ago I wouldn't have picked this book out but since reading similar books I really enjoyed it, and didn't want it to end, I can't wait to read the next one!
16fritschbernalg
This is a mystery and is book one in the series.I mostly enjoyed the book as it is about a girl who with the help of her friend tries to uncover the mystery of wy her sister disappeared an where she is. I would reccomend this
Dinah Browne
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dinah by: Ivy Trieu
Loved this book.
Thank you Ivy for showing me this book!
This had a really satisfying ending, and I can't wait to read the next book.
Nina
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A great middle grade novel
Bookdragonqueenljs22
Love the mystery and just the whole story cant wait MUST get book #2 I am a book dragon RAAA
Toni Owen-Blue
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew I was going to get some kind of kick from Scarlet and Ivy before I even started reading, I have a weakness for girl-power and boarding school stories. However, even with my heavy bias this book deserves all the praise I’m about to give it as, for those who follow my reviews, you know a good premise is never enough for safe critical passage.

The story wastes no time with starting, we spend maybe three pages with an unhappy Ivy, stuck living with a terminally scatter brained aunt and mournin
Silvara Wilde
Check out my other reviews, discussions and link ups at Fantasy of the Silver Dragon.

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The synopsis is slightly misleading, in that it says Ivy is invited to take Scarlet's place and she agrees. She gets a letter telling her a place has opened up for her, and that her school fees have already been paid. So she really doesn't get a choice about going
Hope Sloper
This book was a lot of fun to read to Laila, and I'd highly recommend it for middle-grade aged children. All throughout this book, Laila showed an immense interest in its storyline. She complained at night when I only read one chapter, and still complained when I started reading two. She wanted to take time to talk about what we had just read and uncovered continuously as we made our way from one chapter to the next. To be honest, out of all the children’s books I’ve read to her since I started ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)

Ivy is going to be attending the boarding school where her twin sister recently died. As if that’s not strange enough, she is forced to impersonate her deceased sister. She isn’t told why, and at first she doesn’t question it too much. But after Ivy finds some clues Scarlet left for her, she starts poking around and looking for information. One clue leads to the next until an unfathomable mystery is unraveling around her.

The Lost Twin is a dark, thrilling mystery for young readers. It will appea
Dana
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun to read gothic mystery for middle grade girls. Ivy's twin sister, Scarlet has died while attending a prestigious private school for girls and now Ivy has been informed that she will be taking her sister's place at the school. What she does not understand is that the evil headmistress, Miss Fox, wants Ivy to literally take Scarlet's place and pretend to be Scarlet. Ivy quickly realizes that there is something very wrong about the situation and when she finds part of Scarlet's diary, ...more
16FranklA
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thriller, mystery genre of book it was really good until you got to the last couple of chapters. This book is part of a series. I might not carry on reading or read at a later stage. At first I didn’t like the book but then I got into it and really liked it. The story at first is sad, then it turns happy, then a tiny bit scary and mysterious, then excitement comes in when she finally meets her sister again. The ending is a cliffhanger I think it should have told us a little bit more o ...more
Nina Joy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book series so much! It's full of loyal (and some not) friends, opposite identical twins, suspense, and unexpected plot twists. By the end of the first book, Scarlet and Ivy will feel like your best friends!
Marc Secchia
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cleverly written and well plotted. A pleasure to read both for myself and my daughters (10 and 11 years old). Recommended for anyone seeking an atmospheric mystery in a Victorian boarding school setting.
Ayumi
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a unique mystery that can only be found in this book. I really been loving mystery books because of this book. I love the characters. This book show Bravery and Adventure for each and everyone, in all ages and sizes.
Camille
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The twin in the title was the first thing to catch my eye, not to mention the plot sounded extremely intriguing-- a girl is forced to take her dead identical twin’s place at boarding school, and not only does she have to pretend to be her vastly different sister, but she has to uncover the truth behind her sister’s death through her sister’s diary, which is hidden throughout the school. I loved the atmosphere that this idea and its gothic setting created— an English Boarding School set in 1935, ...more
Caitlyn
This novel gave me a Harry Potter vibe - a non-magical Harry Potter vibe, and that in itself has it's own pros and cons.

When I picked this novel up, I couldn't put it down - I literally stayed up until the early hours of the morning just so I could finish it before I had to go to sleep, and it has been quite some time since a book last did that to me.

"This is the story of how I became my sister."

We are introduced to young Ivy Grey, a young girl who receives a letter on September 1st stating that
Finley Greig-Byrne
I really enjoyed this book, it was adventurous, exciting and inspiring all at the same time. It was filled with creative twists and turns, and it was a real page-turner. I also loved how real this book seemed. it was almost as if Scarlet and Ivy were real people!

*Spoiler alert*
In the book, Ivy's twin sister Scarlet has gone missing, and everyone thinks she's dead. Ivy is then forced to replace Scarlet, so she heads off to Rookwood school to become her sister. When Ivy gets there she finds Scarle
Katie
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls under the age of 13.
Recommended to Katie by: Primary school teacher.
When rebellious Scarlet ‘goes missing’ from her boarding school, twin, Ivy is sent to ‘take her place’ when she is asked to pretend to be her sister she knows it was serious. Scarlett wouldn’t give up without a fight though, she has cleverly hidden clues for her sister to find around the school. Ivy is determined to solve the mystery of her sisters disappearance, even if it means keeping secrets, pretending to be Scarlett and going up against the terrifying Miss Fox.

This is my leavers book from
Bernadette
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect this book to be as dark as it turned out to be. With twists and tension, it kept me on my toes and excited to hear what happened next. Ivy was a bit tiresome as every success still left her crying, although the motivation was understandable. As a reader, however, I couldn't believe Scarlet was dead--with a title like the "Lost Twin" making me think lost as in missing, not dead--so I wasn't able to mourn with her. Ariadne, however, was an immediately lovable and endearing characte ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Case of the Stolen Sixpence (Maisie Hitchins, #1)
  • No Rules (Friday Barnes #4)
  • The Last Chance Hotel (Seth Seppi Mystery, #1)
  • Sleuth on Skates
  • Jolly Foul Play (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #4)
  • The Book of Dares for Lost Friends
  • The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow (The Sinclair’s Mysteries #1)
  • Suitcase of Stars (Enchanted Emporium, #1; La Bottega Battibaleno, #1)
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • The Girl from Felony Bay
  • Anyone But Ivy Pocket
  • Curse of the Boggin (The Library, #1)
  • A Place Called Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • One Boy, No Water (Niuhi Shark Saga, #1)
  • The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • The Adventures of Miss Petitfour
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • Wildings
Sophie Cleverly was born in Bath in 1989. She studied for a BA in Creative Writing and an MA in Writing For Young People. She is the author of the SCARLET AND IVY series, which is published in English by HarperCollins worldwide and is being translated into many different languages.

Aside from writing, she can often be found blogging about symphonic metal, watching fantastical TV and struggling to f

Scarlet and Ivy (6 books)
  • The Whispers in the Walls (Scarlet and Ivy, #2)
  • The Dance in the Dark (Scarlet and Ivy #3)
  • The Lights Under the Lake (Scarlet and Ivy #4)
  • The Curse in the Candlelight (Scarlet and Ivy, #5)
  • The Last Secret: Thrilling new children’s book for fans of Harry Potter and Murder Most Unladylike (Scarlet and Ivy, Book 6)
“I don't want to be lost forever. - Scarlet, in her diary” 5 likes
“Ivy, I pray that it's you reading this.
And if you are, well, I suppose you're the new me... - Scarlet, in her diary”
3 likes