Start by marking “Živali: Velika ilustrirana enciklopedija” as Want to Read:
Živali: Velika ilustrirana enciklopedija

Živali: Velika ilustrirana enciklopedija

(Definitive Visual Guides)

Izdano tudi v letih 2008 in 2014.

Knjiga s podrobnimi podatki predstavlja vse pomembnejše živalske vrste, od največjega sesalca do najmanjšega nevretenčarja, njihove življenjske prostore in značilnosti. S številnimi fotografijami in sijajnimi slikovnimi prikazi podaja najpopolnejši pregled kraljestva živali doslej.
Hardcover, Velika ilustrirana enciklopedija; 1, 624 pages
Published 2005 by Mladinska knjiga Založba (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Živali, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Živali

Start your review of Živali: Velika ilustrirana enciklopedija
Marty Essen
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a nature writer, I own a large collection of natural history encyclopedias. When I wrote "Cool Creatures, Hot Planet: Exploring the Seven Continents" and wanted the natural history of a particular animal I encountered in the wild, I would comb through multiple wildlife guides. Two things stood out:

1) More often than not, I could find what I was looking for in "Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide" (the previous version of this book).

2) I was amazed how often various natural history guides
Nick
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like many big DK books this is spectacular and in fact is better quality than most others. It also (being a DK book) is very easy find remaindered and very good value if you do.

It's not exhaustive: whenever I go to look something up it always seems to be missing the particular species I want, and the description of each animal is very brief. However given the size and scope of the book, omissions and brevity are understandable and forgivable.

My four year old loves it.
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
If you are someone who absolutely loves animals than this is definitely the book for you! It is brilliantly written with as many facts as you could ever need on every animal. I have learnt so much while reading this, I have also discovered so many animals that I had never even heard of. It is the perfect dip in an dip out book. The perfect book for any age!
Amelia B
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I credit this book with truly growing my love of animals. My friend’s dad owned it, and every time I went to her house I would pour over this book, memorizing animals facts. It’s a beautiful, truly educational book showcasing the joy of animal creation.
Claire
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like animals
I gave this to AJ last year for Valentine's Day, and we've shared many happy hours paging through the enormous volume marveling at the beautiful pictures and the astonishing descriptions of the creatures contained therein.

Kind of enormous book, but so worth reading. Get it in hardcover, that's the best. If and when I own a coffee table this book will be on it.

We like playing 'guess which animal' in which one of us reads the description of the animal until the other can guess it. AJ currently
Leah
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a great coffee table book. It'll probably always be on my "currently reading" shelf because it's so fun to pull out and flip to a random page. Plus it's huge so it'll take awhile to get through every bit of information that's packed in.
e
obviously I haven't read this cover to cover...but it will remain in use as my definitive animal information guide for a long time.
Ross
Jan 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books. An education.
Paige
Dec 09, 2006 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, science
Gorgeous illustrated, yet detailed guide to the animal kingdom.
Amy
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We use this book ALL THE TIME when my kids have projects or just want to learn more about animals in the world!! Great reference!
Elizabeth
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book weighs about as much as I do and is longer than most dictionaries, but it's also the most fantastic, visually-stimulating, concise guide to every species of animal in the world. My copy is cracked down the spine from so much handling, because it is one of my absolute favorites.

(I also not-so-secretly call it my big book of daemons.)
angrykitty
i was really excited when i got this book, but then after i went through it, i found that i was disappointed with the selections included. i know it's ridiculous to include all the animals in the world, but when a book claims to be a "definitive visual guide" i want more than just a couple of examples of certain animals....i guess it's just probably me....
Violetta
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Great compendium of the natural world, with an easy to use organization. Sometimes I wished for a little longer entry for each animal (especially the more unusual ones), but then realized that doing so would potentially require a second volume.

Several years later, I have purchased the newer edition as well ;)
Jen
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book will make you believe in encyclopedias again! It is stunning. First had it from the library but quickly realized our family needed to own it. My son the animal-lover can find info about any and all animals he hears about. The only downside is the heft and weight, but that it also what makes it such a regal book =) Would be an excellent gift to anyone.
Robert Hult
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Wow! Probably the most stunningly beautiful book on animals I have ever seen. The contributors spared no expense in making this book. An alien would be pleased to know that we love our wildlife so much as to compile this elegant book.
Chris Gager
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was at the transfer station Wednesday a couple of people with very accented but native English(New Zealand? Ireland?) dropped off this and a "Rainforest" book. Brand spanking new the both of them. Probably worth a hundred bucks! I'll be browsing a bit at a time.
J.T.
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well-designed, stunningly photographed, and meticulously organized, this book is a comprehensive guide to the world's wildlife. Although some common species are excluded, it more than makes up for this with the amount of species covered.

Miguel RodCar
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sin duda, es la mejor enciclopedia animal (de las reunidas en un sólo tomo, claro). Aunque no valga para profundizar en cada uno de los animales, es perfecto para mirar alguna curiosidad que se te ocurra.
Solla
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible book, in color, with illustrations of incredible numbers of animals with sections for different orders. It was even better with the cd that showed movements in slow motion, but, unfortunately, that ceased to work with later versions of windows.
Madkropotkin
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most complete animal book I have seen. If anyone has seen a more complete book, please let me know. My son is an animal fanatic and trudges out this book whenever we have company and asks me or the company to read with him.
Amanda Brass
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science-minded animal lovers
readers will unintentionally learn about the world and its ecosystems by discovering the animals that inhabit it. Yes, it reads like a biology book but embrace it people. You slept through it in high school.
Carolyn
May 19, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st-2nd-grade
Saw this at Disney's Animal Kingdom and thought it would be fun to page through someday with my boys.
Roy Gloeckl
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow. Such an amazing book. My only complaint is that some entries were just mating information and nothing else. Otherwise, fantastic.
Alex Robinson
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Fantastic one volume compendium of animal life, informative and beautifully illustrated.
Cass Carnes
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Animal Planet or Nat Geo Wild are some of your favorite channels this is the book for you!
Bradon
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it had a lot of great information in it.i like how it separates it all
Kevin Carroll
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned more about animals than I ever thought possible. I carried this book wherever I went. I could NOT put it down. As a result, my copy has fallen apart greatly.
Kaitlynn Wornson
Fascinating. Utterly and completely fascinating!
Emily
Jan 02, 2015
Martha
Jan 10, 2011

• The Red Queen: Sex and the Evolution of Human Nature
  • Misty of Chincoteague (Misty, #1)
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
  • Stories from Around the World (Usborne Gift Book)
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Azalea, Unschooled
  • The Green Ember (The Green Ember, #1)
  • The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History
  • Treasure Island
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)
  • Steve Backshall's Deadly 60
  • The Life of Birds
  • The Silver Eyes (Five Nights at Freddy's, #1)
  • The Freddy Files: The Official Guidebook to the Bestselling Video Game Series
  • The Terrible Greedy Fossifoo
  • World's Weirdest Animals
  • Who's on the Farm? A What the Ladybird Heard Book (Lift the Flap Book)
David Andrew Burnie is an accomplished zoologist who was a nature reserve ranger before becoming a natural history author and editor. A prolific writer of many books, including several on dinosaurs, he has seen many of his titles win educational awards and science prizes. His titles for Kingfisher include Kingfisher Knowledge: Endangered Planet and The Kingfisher Illustrated Dinosaur Encyclopedia, ...more

Definitive Visual Guides (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Universe: The Definitive Visual Guide