Start by marking “Cyber World: Tales of Humanity’s Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Cyber World: Tales of Humanity’s Tomorrow

Cyber World: Tales of Humanity’s Tomorrow

Paperback, First, 250 pages
Published November 8th 2016 by Hex Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Cyber World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cyber World

Start your review of Cyber World: Tales of Humanity’s Tomorrow
Althea Ann
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Like most anthologies, it's a mixed bag. But though I liked some selections more than others, it does include two pieces I'll probably nominate for Hugos, and one that I definitely would've if it were eligible (it's a reprint.)

*** SERENADE - Isabel Yap
A young hacker is hired to decrypt a future-USB-drive for a client. The attempt to get the job done leads to a rather-sentimental musing on the deaths of loved ones and grief, contrasting the hacker's expected loss, and the client's past loss.

*** T
Cherry London
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Cyber world is a book of short stories, with a few having complex and puzzling identities which gives the book an out of this world experience. These tales are by far some of the most unusual ones I have ever read, it is not your typical run of the mill sci-fi book. No siree, it’s almost like the book is entwined with a robotic presence, which confuses the hell out of me at times. But between all these meshed wires there is a gleam of knowledge, a spark if you will, in it’s nugget, making it an ...more
Faith
Overall Impressions

I don't "get" cyberpunk. This much is clear, because way too many of the stories in this anthology left me confused and frustrated. One after another after another, I got to the end and thought "what the hell just happened?". And not in a good way.

That said, there were a couple of standout stories that I did enjoy very much. And the presentation of the book was nice -- pretty cover and nice interior art to match each story.

Anthologies are always a mixed bag, but this bag had m
Maryam
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Review originally published on The Curious SFF Reader

3.5

Overall Review

I have interested by this anthology for a while, I don’t read a lot of cyberpunk but I like reading this genre and I was curious to encounter some new authors I would like. Also, the fact that both Alyssa Wong and Paolo Bacigalupi contributed to this anthology was a bonus for me.

Overall, it was a strong anthologies, as always with those types of books they were hits and misses, I DNF’d a couple of stories that didn’t work for
Adam
Speculative fiction has come a long way since the long nights spent at the Chatsubo. The torrents of neon reflected rain drops, once painting the megaplex streets like technicolor oil paint, have ceased. Noir is nostalgia. Adapting to the times, the punk of tomorrow has become a dark reflection of our present. Cyber World: Tales of Humanity's Tomorrow embraces this and emphasizes the need for the genre to be malleable, technically, socially, and environmentally in-tune with the modern world.d

In
Donald Armfield
This is my first cyberpunk experience, that I know of. With a handful of authors, Tales of Humanity’s Tomorrow tosses a yawn into the deepest parts of the universe. Although there was of course a few stories that kicked the stars around with sharp prose and showed their science fiction with no wires attached.

The Bees of Kiribati - Warren Hammond
The Singularity Is In Your Hair - Matthew Kressel
Other People’s Thoughts - Chinelo Onwualu
Wysiomg - Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Small Offerings - Paolo Bacigalupi
Zaz
It can be challenging in current times to visualize new ideas for a technological future. It seems most was already done by the scifi big names during the past 70 years and all is now left is virtual stuff or space adventures, which is strange in a way as social networks, the web and portable devices changed a lot how people behave or live in rich countries during the past 15 years. The future will probably have lots of crazy ways to use technology in every day life, but they seems too much out ...more
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received an e-copy of this book through NetGalley.]

A collection of short stories with virtual reality, AI and technology themes in general. Despite the 'cyberpunk' flair, I agree with the curators: it's not so much cyberpunk in its original meaning, as dealing with various ideas that fit our current societies more than the 'old cyberpunk' feeling.

* "Serenade:" 3/5

A hacker decrypting data on an old USB sticks realises that said data is not about future useful information, but memories.

* "The M
Lucille
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Obviously, this book is full of cyberpunk stories but it also is a reimagination of what cyberpunk is and could be. Like it is said in the afternotes, tones of magic realism can also be found there. I liked that the afternotes explained what they were looking to accomplish here and it really showed the pleasure they had in reading those stories themselves and working in this anthology.

The stories are challenging, sometimes emotionnally and sometimes even to understand. There are a lot of abbreva
Hobart
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader, Hex Publishers also released a soundtrack to go with this book. If you'd like to read what I thought of it, click here.
---
Heller insists in his Afterword that this is not a collection of Cyberpunk stories, and who am I to doubt him? Although it feels pretty punk to ignore the Editor/The Man. It sure feels like Cyberpunk -- but I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't matter what I call it, as long as I say that it's good, strong, creative, mind-b
Dee Maselle
Apr 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This anthology was a "mixed bag" in the best way: so many thought-provoking, diverse, imaginative near-future-worlds laid before me in crisp, colorful, textured writing. Cyberpunk is *not* dead: we're living some of the 80s-90s tropes, yes, but you'll be reminded there are technological dreams and nightmares to come. Well worth a read if you like cyberpunk, biopunk, and plausible it *could* happen to you speculative fiction in general. I'll be looking into Warren Hammond's future noir, in partic ...more
Uma    | Books.Bags.Burgers
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
( I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

BLURB

Cybernetics. Neuroscience. Nanotechnology. Genetic engineering. Hacktivism. Transhumanism. The world of tomorrow is already here, and the technological changes we all face have inspired a new wave of stories to address our fears, hopes, dreams, and desires as Homo sapiens evolve—or not—into their next incarnation. Cyber World presents diverse tales of humanity’s tomorrow, as told by some of today’s most gripping sci
W.L. Bolm
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of the best anthologies I've read in a really long time. It's been a while since I've read cyber punk; I picked this up on a chance at the library because some of my favorite authors, like Saladin Ahmed and Nisi Shawl, were included. I was delighted when I lost myself in its pages.

There were 2-3 stories I couldn't get into, but in general were short and quick and still managed to pack a lot of impact. The world views were diverse, and that added to my enjoyment. Even though each st
Lady H
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Some of these stories were pretty good, but most were only okay. It's kind of a mixed bag.
The problem with cyberpunk - or sci fi in general, I suppose - is that it threatens to be buried under the weight of its own inscrutability. Some authors want to throw in tons of new terminology and concepts and give the reader little time to adjust, which makes for a difficult reading experience.

There were some that were practically nonsensical that I only skimmed, and there were some that left no impres
Brian
Nov 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Like all anthologies, there's some good and some bad. And I think this collection would have been better served without an introduction that ties to nail down what cyberpunk actually is and an epilogue that says not to call the book cyberpunk. Whatever it is, it's not cyberpunk? I guess.

My favorite story was "The Bees of Kiribati," about a murder mystery among refugees of a country destroyed by climate change. The suspect is a surrogate for women in the developed world, apparently a common profe
Florin Pitea
Aug 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyberpunk
Most of the stories are passable, but very few are worth a second reading. Review available here: http://tesatorul.blogspot.ro/2017/11/... ...more
Kamela
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
It's hard to rate this book accurately since the stories varied so much in quality and appealing-to-me-ness, so I end up with 3 stars.

I wouldn't have picked this up at the library, honestly; I tend to have a problem with cyberpunk, most of it being that I don't really "get" it, and often find its technological preoccupations too byzantine to care about. But then I started writing a near-future book based on a cyberpunk roleplaying campaign, and so for all of the ways I'm trying to write the lea
Fraser Simons
So I loved this. Not only do the goals of the anthology completely align with what I'm looking for in regards to new contributions to the genre, but they're just really, really GOOD contributions too. The following quotes from the book made me super excited to read it:

"Cyberpunk isn’t cool anymore because it doesn’t have to be. It’s gone beyond cool. It’s life itself, the good and bad of it."

"One of the things I like about Cyber World is that it shows cyberpunk has left its heteronormative boy’s
Dave
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can call this a collection of cyberpunk stories, and be accurate, though as the editor points out, that is not quite all there is here. I would call this is more of an assortment of post-human speculative fiction than merely that older term in that it goes further into the possibilities of hacks and mods. This is another review copy I received from NetGalley. I requested it because of the handful of authors I had read before (some of my favorites) and happily the book is better than I expect ...more
Reeter
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this more than I did, especially since a few of the authors are from/currently living in my home state of Colorado. This isn't a bad book by any means, just a mixed bag. If you like cyberpunk, I would recommend getting this from the library. Here's to hoping you like it more than I did.

No one asked, but here are the Colorado authors (that I know of):
* Mario Acevedo
* Paolo Bacigalupi
* Warren Hammond
* Angie Hodapp
* Stephen Graham Jones

I'll be checking out more of their stuff.
Misha
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it! These are fresh stories, up-to-the minute aand that felt good, sonce sometimes you read, hmm, classics that sometimes feel outdated. Some stories spoke to me more than others, but this anthology felt overall stronger than others I've read beyond year's best collections. They are all short-seeming tho, with a few I'd like expanded or put into context of a world.
Neon Snake
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I guess it's kind of ok. Most of the stories were good or passable, but very few of them were given enough room to breathe. Few were enough for me to hunt down other works by their authors - not due to lack of talent, I think, but they were just too short to give enough of an idea. Compared to something like Burning Chrome or Mirrorshades, it just doesn't stack up.
Linus
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm rating the whole thing higher than I'd rate most of the stories. I really like how it all works together.

The weird thing is that for me, the stories followed a pattern: Almost all of them had one element that I really liked, and one that I really disliked. Sometimes one was bigger than the other, sometimes it was about equal.
Luis Arcia
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took a while to finish this... There are so many good stories here that don’t require you to love sci-fi. It helps, though. One of my favorites was near the end, by Minister Faust (funny). It’s one of the longer stories, at six and a half.

The drawback is that there are sooooooo many stories. They’re short too, so the book’s 200+ pages feel infinitely long...
Frances
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really solid, wide-ranging collection that takes the cyberpunk subgenre into new, well-realized, thoughtfully examined places. As with most anthologies, preferred some stories to others, but each struck me as well-constructed, beautifully written, and engaging.

I cannot think of a better anthology to pick up for anyone craving cyberpunk, which is something I haven't seen enough of recently.
Fanem
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best collections of modern cyberpunk and post cyberpunk I've seen. I will probably return to it from time to time. Definitely something in there for every cyberpunk fun. Some of the stories were super inspiring.
More, please!
James
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf, fiction
Cyberpunk with more diverse authors and world settings than an equivalent '80s collection would have had. A mixed bag like all collections, some are pretty dark.
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Like most collections of short stories there are some that you love and others you could leave.
Overall I loved the variety of styles and authors. Some who i just wanted to read more of.
Bret Smith
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding collection of science fiction short stories!
Ernest Hogan
Science fiction has been updated!

• Neverday
  • The Things We Bury
  • Black Hammer #5
  • Black Hammer #6
  • Black Hammer #3
I'm a Denver-based writer who contributes regularly to The A.V. Club and Alternative Press. Quirk Books will publish my debut novel, Taft 2012, as well as a series of middle-grade horror books (to be announced). I'm also the nonfiction editor of Clarkesworld Magazine and am represented by Jennifer Jackson of Donald Maass Literary Agency.

News & Interviews

“Today we no longer fear technology. It’s no longer a question of assimilation. What remains to be seen is what we are about to become.” 1 likes
“She glimpsed the sexless mounds between their legs and shuddered. For some reason, she found their lack of genitals uncannily obscene, an indignity, a piece of humanity they had been denied.” 0 likes