Start by marking “Kid Dark Against The Machine” as Want to Read:
Kid Dark Against The Machine

Kid Dark Against The Machine

(Cookie Cutter Superhero-Verse #1)

From the award-winning author of Cookie Cutter Superhero comes a brand new story about sidekicks, supervillains and saving the world

Back when he was called something else, Griff knew everything about superheroes, sidekicks and the mysterious machine responsible for creating them. Now, Griff is just an average guy, minding his own business. A volunteer handyman at the Boys
ebook
Published June 14th 2016 by Book Smugglers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Kid Dark Against The Machine, please sign up.
Serena It is also now on Tansy Rayner Roberts podcast Sheep Might Fly read by the author:

Start your review of Kid Dark Against The Machine
TheBookSmugglers
Jun 07, 2016 added it
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY
We publish it and it is AWESOME.

so freaking funny and charming AND sequel to Cookie Cutter Superhero
Jasmine
I LOVE THIS WORLD I LOVE THIS STORY I WANT FIVE LONG-RUNNING SERIALS AND A NOVEL OR SEVEN.
Stephanie
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tansy Rayner Roberts is one of my favorite short story writers in the world, so I always get excited when a new story from her is announced. I was particularly impatient to read this one because it's set in the same world as her story "Cookie Cutter Superhero,"* which I absolutely adored. In this version of Australia, new superheros are called to duty by a machine that chooses random names from the population and grants them superpowers...at least for a while. Eventually, they get to retire - or ...more
Mieneke
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2016
In 2014 I read the YA anthology Kaleidoscope , which I loved. One of my absolute favourite stories in the book was Tansy Rayner Roberts’ Cookie Cutter Superhero. My first reaction on finishing it was to take to Twitter and ask whether Roberts was planning more in this world. She answered in the affirmative, and Kid Dark Against The Machine is her making good on that promise. And it was everything I could have hoped for.

Cookie Cutter’s main character Solar makes an appearance in Kid Dark, as d
Tehani
Short version? AWESOME! Long version? Here. ...more
Lindsay
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second piece in Tansy Rayner Roberts's short fiction series that started with the short story "Cookie Cutter Superhero" in the Kaleidoscope anthology. The series posits an Earth where special Machines appeared in each country of the world in the 1980s that transform ordinary people into superheroes. But the transformation isn't necessarily permanent, and the Machines transform people back to ordinary as they get called back and a new hero replaces them.

This is the story of Kid Dark,
Laura (bbliophile)
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quite a lot! I'm incredibly excited about reading the rest of the series.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016, review, shorts
It's no secret that Tansy is one of my favourite authors of all time. That said, some of her pieces of work spring beyond expectations, and this world is one of them. First seen in the anthology Kaleidoscope'Cookie Cutter Superhero' was one of the most popular with many people demanding that we see a novel in this world at some stage. Tansy has a thing for novellas at the moment however, so that's what we've got in Kid Dark against the Machine.

In this world, Australia has Australia's Mightiest
Tsana Dolichva
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kid Dark Against The Machine by Tansy Rayner Roberts is a novella published by the Book Smugglers, set in the same world as her short story "Cookie Cutter Superhero" which appeared in Kaleidoscope. If you want to be more surprised by the story, it might be better NOT to read the blurb...

I don't very often read blurbs before I read things and I suspect this is one of the stories where not reading the blurb first is more fun. Especially if you've already read "Cookie Cutter Superhero" and know you
Alexandra
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another short story from Roberts set in the world of "Cookie Cutter Superhero", from the anthology Kaleidoscope. It's a world where there's a machine that makes people superheroes... for a time. Where the first story looked at what might happen when a girl with a physical disability got to the machine, this one looks at the aftermath for one person - what's it like when you didn't choose to be a superhero and then you have to go back to being 'normal'?

I love this story, and I love this world. I
Stas
So, this is AWESOME.
Good thing I have the other story in this universe too.
This is an author to look out for!

REVIEW (or something like it)

I'm just... I'm like... OH MY GOD.
This is AWESOME.
Give me more!

I'm serious. Give me MORE.

You've got to read this!
Serena
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved listening to Tansy Rayner Roberts' podcast Sheep Might Fly where you too can listen to lots of her short stories! ...more
Hteph
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superherostuff
This is a weird one

The prose is clipped as if the author has a limited amount of words to use. Like a school essay or something. The short story format results in world building and background takes more place tgan the story in it self and if you remove that the plot and resolution fits on one page, one and a half tops.
Which makes me feel like I spent to much time with to little gain.
The authors and editors afterword seems to be longer than the story, perhaps it says something worth reading, bu
Rivqa
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story, great play with the meta of superhero comic books.
Drew Shiel
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is more a short story than a book, really. But it’s more of Tansy Rainer Roberts’ Australian superhero setting, so yeah, it’s good.
Anna Hepworth
fun romp playing with superhero tropes.
Ju Transcendancing
I’m an unashamed fan of Tansy’s writing and I absolutely could not resist a follow up story to Cookie Cutter Super Hero from Kaleidescope. I have to say that Kid Dark Against the Machine was a glorious follow up story in this universe. I loved it! Griff is a great character, he’s so likeable and relatable the moment you meet him – and you can absolutely see where he’s coming from as a child superhero trying to figure out what on earth to do with his life after.

I love the themes that this story e
Anoush
Not really an ebook, but I read it online via Booksmugglers. :-)

This was a masterfully told short story. I really enjoyed getting a bit of backstory as we went into every chapter, slowly putting together what had happened in the past and how it defined the present and informed the future for the characters.

Griff lives in a world where superheros are made (and unmade) by a machine, a random lottery. Fascinating idea! Griff was one of those randomly chosen heros at the age of 12, only to be spit b
Just A. Bean
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would very much rec reading the first story in this series first, as this spoils that, and having just read them backwards, I think the other would do better unspoiled. The first story is in the Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories anthology, which is inexpensive, and has a lot of cool authors involved so I'd rec that first on any grounds.

Anyway, even bass akwards, this story is made of 100% charming. I've always had a very great weakness for teen sidekicks with self-es
Narrelle
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TRR's world of machines that turn ordinary people
Into Superheroes (and back again) is revisited with a look at one teen hero who baulked at the system. More of the mechanics and ethics of the world are explored through Griff - the former Kid Dark, sidekick to The Dark - and a boy at an orphanage who suspects he's slated to be a supervillian. It's good fun but also thoughtful about superheroics. A worthy companion piece to Cookie Cutter Superhero.
Arref Mak
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is perfect.
Matthew Galloway
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great voice to this story and fascinating world building. I'll have to look into the author's connected work.
Jelena
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, read-in-2016
This is absolutely hilarious. I loved it.
julie drum
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book ever

This is an awesome book for people who like adventure because it's full of zap,boom, and kapow and it is full and I mean full of adventure
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
I've not read the story to which this is a sequel, but I still found this pretty enjoyable, particularly as superheroes aren't generally my thing. Very fast-paced and the characters were engaging.
Elizabeth Fitzgerald
This book is an entry in the Aurealis Awards for 2016, for which I am a judge. Any review will be withheld until the results of the awards are announced.
Lauredhel
Nov 15, 2016
Jan 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Winter's Tale
  • The Tea Master and the Detective (The Universe of Xuya)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Icefall
  • Brimstone (The Fire Watcher Chronicles, #1)
  • Swordheart
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • Queens of Geek
  • Tomboy Survival Guide
  • Her First Reality, Darkness
Tansy Rayner Roberts is a fantasy and science fiction author who lives in southern Tasmania, somewhere between the tall mountain with snow on it, and the beach that points towards Antarctica.

Tansy has a PhD in Classics (with a special interest in poisonous Roman ladies), an obsession with Musketeers, and is raising two superhero daughters who are going to rule the world someday.

You can hear Tansy

Cookie Cutter Superhero-Verse (2 books)
  • Girl Reporter