Jump to ratings and reviews
Spoiler Alert! The following blurb contains spoilers for Insight, book one of The Community.

Holden Payne has it all . . . or so he thinks. As heir to the founder of the Community—an organization that finds, protects, and manages psychics—he’s rich, powerful, and treated like royalty. But after a series of disappearances and murders rock the Community, he’s branded the fall guy for the scandal and saddled with a babysitter.

Sixtus Rossi is a broad-shouldered, tattooed lumbersexual with a man-bun and a steely gaze. He’s also an Invulnerable—supposedly impervious to both psychic abilities and Holden’s charms. It’s a claim Holden takes as a challenge. Especially if sleeping with Six may help him learn whether the Community had more to do with the disappearances than they claimed.

As Holden uncovers the truth, he also finds himself getting in deep with the man sent to watch him. His plan to seduce Six for information leads to a connection so intense that some of Six’s shields come crashing down. And with that comes a frightening realization: Holden has to either stand by the Community that has given him everything, or abandon his old life to protect the people he loves.

242 pages, ebook

First published June 26, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Santino Hassell

36 books2,826 followers
Santino Hassell was raised by a conservative family but grew up to be a smart-mouthed, school cutting grunge kid, a transient twenty-something, and eventually transformed into a grumpy introvert and unlikely romance author with an affinity for baseball caps. His novels are heavily influenced by the gritty, urban landscape of New York City, and his desire to write relationships fueled by intensity and passion.

He’s been a finalist in both the Bisexual Book Awards and the EPIC Awards, and was nominated for a prestigious RITA award in 2017. His work has been featured in BuzzFeed, Huffington Post, Washington Post, RT Magazine, and Cosmopolitan Magazine.

Santino@santinohassell.com
www.santinohassell.com
amazon.com/author/santinohassell

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
27 (3%)
1 star
23 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 180 reviews
Profile Image for Deborah.
3,286 reviews429 followers
June 25, 2017

4.5*

I've been a huge fan of this author since I read the amazing and unforgettable ICoS and having loved the previous book Insight I couldn't wait to start this book.

It's safe to say Holden wasn't my favourite character in Insight but I had every confidence that Santino would win me over and he did, although it took awhile.

I struggled early on, I didn't warm to Holden straight away and although I fell instantly in love with Sixtus I wasn't fully onboard until about a third of the way in when I realised I was hooked.

Holders father Richard Payne is distancing himself from the Beck disaster and it's looking like Holden may end up being the scapegoat.
Richard installs Sixtus Rossi at Evolution to watch Holden, Six is an Invulnerable, impervious to psychic abilities but there's history and attraction between these two and it appears it's only a matter of time before something gives.

I absolutely loved Six.

"He doesn’t feel things the way the average person does, and he doesn’t always make decisions based on an understanding of how other people will react.”

The way these two were together was simply beautiful.
Holden makes Six feel for the first time and Six opens up a new world to Holden one where he doesn't rely purely on his gift.

“You rely too much on your psychic shit,” Six said. “Not having those abilities makes me more observant.”

I'm not going to give spoilers I'll just say we learn so much in this book, there's some major reveals and we get a much better picture of the Community and the Farm plus Nate and Trent are back.
Once I'd settled onto this book I absolutely loved it and I can't wait for Sightlines which is all set to be the best one yet.

I voluntarily read a review copy kindly provided by NetGalley and Riptide Publishing.
Profile Image for Dia.
534 reviews133 followers
July 10, 2017
5 HUGE stars

To say I loved this book is an understatement. I adored everything about it and for me, it was one of the best stories created by Santino Hassell. And he writes some pretty amazing stories!

Insight was good, but not enough for me. When I dived into Oversight I thought I knew what I was getting myself into, but I wasn't prepared to be sucked away into the story from the first chapter. I was hooked and couldn't put it down. I was a little afraid I might not remember much from the first book, but Santino gave us so many details that I remembered everything super fast and I felt I just finished Insight.

I already liked Holden. He won me from the start. And Six, well he intrigued me and then made me love him SO much! Such a great couple. Attraction at its best! These two characters made me turn the pages really fast. I've read this book in one standing and I couldn't believe how attached to the story I got, SO fast! I highlighted a lot, even if I was on the edge of my seat and had my heart in my throat. Suspense, action and a lot of mystery. My heart ached for Chase and I absolutely can't wait to read his story!!! *graby, graby hands*

I really don't want to give too much away, because this story has so many amazing surprises. I will let you discover this sweet bond between two different men, each broken in a way, but so perfect for each other.
Profile Image for CrabbyPatty.
1,553 reviews169 followers
June 25, 2017
We last met empath Holden Payne, manager of Evolution, in Insight. Holden's father is one of the Community's founders and having grown up with the us-against-them verbiage, Holden finds it hard to believe the Community is anything other than an altruistic organization helping those with paranormal skills. Sixtus Rossi has been sent to Evolution by Richard Payne to handle club security. Sixtus is an invulnerable -“He has a natural mental shield that prevents him from being susceptible to psychic abilities" - perfect to safeguard Evolution against mental and physical attacks. Six and Holden last saw each other when they were both teenagers and Six was in front of a Community tribunal. Holden remembers:
It’d been the first time he’d feared the founders. And when he’d first learned that breaking Community rules could have serious consequences.
Six was sent to The Farm for years for "realignment" and is now Head of Security there. Holden believes Six to be merely another tool of his father's to monitor and control him.

But bit by bit, we learn more about The Farm, about Holden's mother, about the men following and harassing Elijah, about Ex-Comm and the tension builds and builds to an almost unbearable cliffhanger of a conclusion. One character mentions "invisible insects skittering over his skin" and that's what this book feels like. The tension ratchets up and honest to gawd, it's almost excruciating getting the picture of what is actually going on.
“Because this is out of control. I was raised in this Community, Six. These people were my family. Growing up, people talked about the Farm and the people who worked there like they were clergy. They were what other members aspired to be, or at least respected even if that wasn’t what we wanted. And now you’re telling me it’s this fucking—”
Six and Holden's relationship takes second place to the unveiling of The real Community, yet in a way it's fitting. There's a steamy sexual component, and a tentative mental connection that develops where nothing should exist because of the nature of Six's abilities (it's like there's a barrier around his thoughts and feelings) while Holden being empathic feasts on the emotions of others. It's a tantalizing work in progress.

The best part of Oversight is going in cold, so it's a bit of a problem to review this book without telling too much of the plot, but believe me, this book is 5 stars all the way and I highly recommended it!

I received an ARC from Riptide Publishing, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.
Review also posted at Gay Book Reviews - check it out!
Profile Image for Christelle.
808 reviews
November 1, 2017
**3.5 stars**
I was seriously traumatized after reading insight and not engaging : we’re talking about SH here ! So, it took me a little while to find my courage and get to the second part of the Community series….Huge sigh of relief : I enjoyed it.

The whispers about the Community of Psycs and that there’s evil lurking inside it are growing. And for a very good reason. The unconceivable realization of what’s going on initiated by Nate and Trent in book1 is shaking the grounds of the life that Holden, one of the son of the founder of the Community, is used to. And having to deal with Six “the Cyborg”, seemingly immune to Holden’s “empath” skills and sent by Holden’s father to take care of Holden’s night-club security is messing with his head…and his heart.

The plot is finally taking shape imo, so it started to grip me. As for Holden and Six’s relationship, I enjoyed this “opposite attracts” vibe : Holden, the privileged son thought as vapid and a puppet in his father’s hands but deeply caring for his friends and Six, “the Cyborg”, deemed as cold and invulnerable but craving for attention and a simple touch... It just swooned me : yes, I can be that easy to please !!

Not my favorite series from SH, but still a solid one and I’m now very curious regarding the plot, as SH made sure that we are left hanging there, and how the relationships between Chase and Elijah will go.
Profile Image for Cadiva.
3,226 reviews290 followers
March 7, 2018
Rating and review removed.
Profile Image for Adam.
610 reviews310 followers
July 5, 2017
Holden Payne and Sixtus Rossi clash from the beginning. They come from completely different backgrounds, and have very different motives.

The two are brought together by the fallout from book 1, with Holden’s father attempting to pin the blame on anyone but himself. This is a fast-paced book, heavy on the suspense and mystery, with a strong romance interspersed.

In book 1, Holden comes across as aloof and wilfully ignorant of the Community’s failings. However, from his POV readers learn that Holden has his doubts, and he isn’t as clueless as he seemed. Yes, he’s a spoiled rich kid, but his heart’s in the right place.

Six is an enigma at first. As an Invulnerable, Six is impervious to psychic powers and has trouble picking up on social cues. He’s a one-man fortress.

I loved him from the start. His straight-forwardness was funny and sweet, and I just knew that his tough exterior was hiding a big old softie on the inside.

Though Six and Holden aren’t particularly fond of each other, there’s a very obvious attraction between them that grows slowly.

When the two finally crack and fall into bed together, they do so with conflicted feelings. They click, physically and emotionally, but trust is almost non-existent between them.

description

It takes a lot of hard work for Holden and Six to let down their walls and allow them to care for each other. Both spent most of their lives lonely and wearing masks.

But these two were so good together. I swooned a bit each time one of them bared part of his soul to the other. Holden and Six were so clearly meant to be together.

The mystery revolves around the motives of the Community, particularly Holden’s father. There’s a sense of impending danger as the story progresses. I won’t give anything way, except to say that this was a highly entertaining and gripping plot. And I can’t wait to see what happens next!

description

If you’re looking for an MM paranormal suspense series, I’d definitely recommend The Community!

Profile Image for Amanda.
1,361 reviews309 followers
June 15, 2017
This second book for The Community is on my watch list ever since I read the last page of Insight that promise more nail biting suspense for our group of psychic. I must say Oversight is even better than its predecessor because this time around we are already more familiar with the story arc, the background of the Community and I'm already partial towards Holden Payne since he was introduced in Book 1. With all the groundwork being laid out previously, I can dive in and enjoy right from the start.

The formidable man that is being paired up with Holden, our flamboyant heir and gay club owner is non other than Sixtus Rossi, an invulnerable. Six's talent is being immune to other psychic influence and power. The big, bad, lumbersexual Rossi who rocks a man bun was sent to watch over Holden, much to Holden's displeasure. Holden is an empath who used to read everyone and influence their emotion, but facing Six threw Holden off his game when Six is impervious to all his attempt of manipulation and seduction.

The highlight of the story to me is definitely the enemies to lovers vibe between Holden and Six. They are not exactly enemies to start off, but definitely not on the same boat and wary of each other motive. Six's blunt honestly and social incompetence initially grated Holden's nerves, but it later turns into an endearing and lovable trait. There is no insta-love, but it seems like they have a deeper connection once we learned their history and amidst all the danger that they embroiled in, Six got to know Holden's behind his glitz and arrogance that lies a man who cares and trying to save and protect the lost psychic with his club.

The main story arc on the Community turning into a cult is no longer a conspiracy theory, but a fact and Holden's loyalty is torn between his father and his friends. Holden find it hard to believe the Community he grew up in is this big fat lie and I can understand where he is coming from and it might take a while to convince him.

One thing I find it hard to believe for a story with a bunch of psychic is their harebrained plan for a rescue mission. Although is a suspenseful climax that have me feeling all worry and nervous for all of them, not just Holden and Six, I can't help but feel that they could have plan it better!

Overall, Oversight is a strong sequel that doesn't disappoint me despite my high expectation. Is great to see Nate and Trent from the previous book came back for a mission together and of course, I can't wait to read about Chase and Elijah next. All in all, I like how the series blended all the couples together with each of them playing an important role for one common goal. I'm excited to see how all this will end.
Profile Image for ~Kristin~.
1,371 reviews129 followers
September 16, 2017
5 Stars

I am so glad I didn't give up on this series, this book was so good, I simply devoured it. It has me so pumped...the hangover is going to seriously hurt, and it is going to be a long wait for the final book. But wait, I will because I have to know how it all plays out.
Profile Image for Ami.
5,750 reviews501 followers
March 10, 2018
** RATING IS REMOVED, BECAUSE REASONS.

Original Review stays under spoiler tag because Goodreads is first and foremost *my* record of reading activities, and the fiasco doesn't change the fact that I've read this book **

Profile Image for Sanaa .
1,218 reviews172 followers
July 4, 2017
4.5-5 stars.

"This place made of goodness and happiness. It's the best feeling in the world, and it's because I'm with you."

OH. MY. GOSH.

MY HEART.

*be still*

I am absolutely in love with Six. Although I was a bit hesitant about Holden, he totally won me over by the end of the book. I am really into paranormal and this might end up being one of my favorites in that genre. It was just that good!

Let me start off by saying this book is sort of a continuation from book one, even though there are different characters involved in this story. So I definitely recommend you reading book #1 (Insight) before you go ahead and read this. In Oversight, Holden uncovers some terrible truths about the place he's always called home and his father.

And my heart just broke for him. Everything he's ever known to be a lie.

This is sort of like an enemies to lovers book and I absolutely loved getting to see Holden and Six together. Though not always a fan of each other, their conversations were hilarious and I absolutely loved their humor and banter. Their connection took time to develop, like any other relationship and once it did, it was amazing to watch.

"It's you, Holden. You make me feel like someone else. Like someone new."

I didn't know what I was going to get when I read the series but I ended up loving everything. I cannot wait for Chase's book next!

An arc was provided in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Elle aka Leftie aka Shoebelle.
628 reviews122 followers
March 11, 2018
(Leaving my review on this one as I did receive an ARC for this and I want to hold up my end of the bargain. This is no way a denial of those hurt by the author and and I actually do want to give a shout out to all the brave souls who bared themselves and told their stories. May they find the healing they deserve.)

*ARC received from author/publisher via A Novel Take PR as part of blog tour*

Oh yes, now the story's opened up so much more...

Woops, turns out I didn't update this on time to show my full review, so here goes. Pls note that that this was written around the book's release. Good thing is that bk 3 is out now 😁

The 2nd book in the trilogy, the focus is now on Holden. From the first book, you learn briefly who Holden is and where he places in the Community. For all the status he has, he’s really out of the loop with what’s happening in the Community. With things starting to unravel some more, his own father wanted to make sure he stays in line. In comes in Sixtus (Six), sent to watch over him. Six doesn’t have the powers like the others, ie, powers that the Community deems valuable but being “impenetrable” also meant that those other “valuable powers” doesn’t necessarily work on him which makes him just as powerful.

With Holden having to rely on just his normal senses, he definitely feels unsettled by Six. And Six, for all his stoicism, definitely feels a pull towards Holden. As these 2 figure out what’s happening between them, Holden’s eyes are slowly being opened also as to what’s really happening in the Community.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve had my reservations about Holden in the first book (ye of little faith, tsk-tsk). So to see his character opened up here, he totally redeemed himself. To see his fears, his doubts, his humor, and his resolve, you can clearly see his growth as he worked thru his inner turmoil.

And I gotta say Six is one intriguing character. The succinctness in his thoughts and words is endearing to read. If only we all can be like him in every situation, saying exactly what he means, then you always know where you stand. And yet underneath all that stoic exterior is a man who feels. The innocence to his words, despite the world he grew up in, just makes your heart melt.

Just like the first book, the focus is less on romance and more on the mystery and suspense. Again, just like the first book, it may leave you wanting seeing there is so much heat between Holden and Six. There is obviously a big overarching story, but you’ll also be in Holden’s head quite a bit so you really get to understand him. And because there is a big overarching story, Nate and Trent plus others are back to play their part. And now that I’m in the groove of things, I swear, I’m now fully able to enjoy all the characters especially Trent. I think he even made me snort in one scene, that’s the kind of humor he has.

Anyhoot, I digress… This finished with a more cliffie ending than the first so now I’m anxiously waiting for the last installment. And it’s not coming til fall!!! Waaaah!!!!

Profile Image for RentasticReads.
699 reviews176 followers
July 10, 2017
Ohhhh, I absolutely LOVE this one! The plot, the action, the suspense, the romance—EVERYTHING! It was utterly the perfect sequel to Insight. The build up from the very beginning, easing into Holden and Six's story, and then leading into Chase and Elijah's fate in the end was absolutely chills-inducing! I was completely wrapped up in this whole book. Needless to say, Santino Hassell definitely is climbing up the ranks in my favorite authors list!!!

I really thought I'd have a hard time getting into the paranormal angle of M/M romance, more so a world full of psychics and empaths, precogs and postcogs, and telepaths alike. But surprisingly, I'm enjoying and devouring every page of it. Like I couldn't get enough of these characters that were so well developed. And the flow of the story that was just flawless. I feel like I'm crawling out of my own skin, thinking about how long I have to wait until Sightlines, the next book in The Community series, comes out.

I saw Holden Payne in such a different light here compared to back when I was reading the first book. I thought he was this untrustworthy promiscuous guy who just lured guys he wanted to play with. Just a club owner and empath who welcomes fellow queer psychics with open arms. But all of that changed here. Especially when he established that powerful and deep connection he has with Six. I turned to love him fiercely. He had such a huge turnaround and character growth you wouldn't miss. And when you reach the end of this book? You'll feel deep in your bones just how strong and brave this guy truly is. No matter how much he doesn't see himself as such. It was still shining and was brightly reflected in the pride in Six's eyes.

Sixtus Rossi blew everything and everyone out of the water in this book. I'm actually in love with the fact that Six is like part cyborg. How he's an invulnerable/impenetrable—someone who doesn't feel anything like a normal human does or lacks any kind of social skills. It deepened and intensified the feels and the intrigue factor of the whole thing even more. He was completely unreadable because of how strong his mental shield was. But that also makes him over the top observant; he'll notice the smallest, faintest of things that it will melt your heart, knowing he sees or feels these things. I just loved how intense the chemistry and connection he has with Holden. That stark possessiveness and protectiveness he has for his man. The meaning and impact of it all to the tale melted my insides so much more.

The story of this series just gets better and better with every book. The deeper they go in this blissfully different world, the more I get sucked in. The more I appreciate and love every moment. My mind is racing and my heart is beating wildly every time I remember how this one ended, anticipating what might happen on the third book. All the characters were utterly remarkable. The entire crew is back. That's right, Nate Black and Trent Castille from Insight make an important appearance too! But I absolutely cannot wait for the next book to be here. I'm in dire need of Chase and Elijah's story. It will be EPIC. I just know it.
Profile Image for Melissa.
1,208 reviews73 followers
July 5, 2018
July 2018 Audiobook Review:
Borrowed audio from library and the narration was great. Despite the author's history, I still like the writing quality and the stories, and wish things could have been different for this author.

July 2017 Review:
I was provided an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am kind of at a loss right now on how to review this book. Let's see...I really liked it. I completely enjoyed Insight, and was beyond eager to read Oversight. When Holden was introduced in Insight, I knew he would be something special. Yes, he was an ass and secretive and basically not helpful to Nate in his quest to learn the truth about what happened to his twin, Theo. But in the end, Holden proved to be an okay guy and I needed to know more about his story and who would finally tame this seeming self-centered man. I wasn't expecting Sixtus, LOL.

"Sixtus Rossi is a broad-shouldered, tattooed lumbersexual with a man-bun and a steely gaze." Ha, yeah, he is definitely that, but he is also an invulnerable, which means he has a very strong mental shield and no other psychic can read him or influence him with their talents. When Six is placed as Holden's new "watcher" by Holden's father, Holden is of course curious about Six and if he is a man to be trusted (since his previous "watcher" turned out to be a ).

What really brings these two men together is that Holden knew Six from when they were kids. Not in a playmate sort of way, but in a Six was basically captured by Holden's father and sent to the farm for "realignment" and tortured kind of way. When Six was "sentenced" Holden and his father were there and Holden was a teen at the time and worried for this kid who was about the same age as him. He wanted to make sure he would be okay, because he didn't have anybody else to look out for him.

Holden never forgot about Six in the 10 years that has since passed...and neither has Six forgotten about Holden. Call it destiny or soul mates, regardless - these two men were meant to "meet" as kids and to come together again as adults.

All isn't what it appears and Holden is starting to question everything he grew up believing, or even things he saw. Nate and Trent return to help Holden find Chase, Elijah and Holden's mother. They are being locked away on the farm, and time is ticking because the longer they are there, the more they are tortured. With the help of some ex-Comm members (which is a group of people who are fighting to destroy the Community) , they risk literally everything to break into the Farm.

This does end on a cliffhanger but we know the good guys are going to win. Like, really? When was the last time you read a book about the bad guys defeating the good guys? So I am not afraid to wait because I know it is all going to work out in the end - I just don't know how much our heroes are going to be put thru (read - tortured) before the big win at the end.

I loved the intrigue and the secretes of Oversight. This is a real thriller of a story and is full of action and plotting and planning. Let's just say I am so glad this is fiction because I would not be well suited to live in a world where this was reality, LOL. I don't like to go down dark alleys, and I would be less than helpful in the stealth department when trying to sneak into a dangerous psychic Farm. Why do you think I stay in my home and read books all day? Except for when I go to work. ;) I live enough excitement just driving to the grocery store (sometimes it's amazing to make it back home in one piece - people are crazy!).

I highly recommend this story and series, but be warned that if you don't like cliffhangers, you should wait until the final book is released so you can read them all together. I plan to re-read this series myself once that happens so I can get it all in one giant psychic smorgasbord. :)

Santino is a highly talented writer and I have not been disappointed yet with anything I've read by him. Well crafted characters and story line that I think was storyboarded or something because so far I haven't found anything that niggles at me as being not quite right. Hope that all made sense - it always does in my head. ;) Please tell me if I sound crazy so I can fix it, cheers!
Profile Image for Debi.
653 reviews
July 4, 2017
Excellence packed in 193 pages of paperback. From the moment this story breaks out of the gate, the reader is treated to a thrill-a-minute race that's filled with super hot intimacy, intense and intriguing suspense and mystery and heart-pumping action that keeps you on the edge of your seat; barely able to turn the pages fast enough to feed your need to know where this exceptionally well written journey is going to take us. If you're already a Santino fan, he enchants us with his talents in every way we have become accustom to experiencing. He holds nothing back and satisfies as only he knows how. If you haven't had the pleasure of reading Santino's work, my advice would be to come aboard lovelies and join our crew. You won't be disappointed.

Words struggle to do justice in my attempt to describe the perfection of Holden/Six. Santino has created an insanely erotic dynamic between these two that is enhanced with their charming and sarcastic dialogue. Six is an unmovable mountain of a man physically as well as mentally. He's closed off and distant and completely lacking social interaction skills. Holden is entitled and manipulative and pushy with a desire to be accepted and loved buried deeply within himself. When these two come together, sparks fly and the pages sizzle and will leave nothing but ashes behind. They're awkward and sweet and tender and innocent and off the charts sexy.

In addition, we are gifted to the continuing saga of The Community unfolding in more explicate detail and entwining mystery. As more people go missing and the plot thickens with suspense and fear, we are led down a path of chilling escape plans and shocking secrets and family drama with a fierce monster at its head. Santino has woven a backstory with gripping charisma that sucks the reader into a world of evil minds and power hungry monsters scheming to take over the world around us. I loved every breath-taking moment and the suspense we're left in is going to kill me until October.

So, I encourage everyone to take this walk into the unknown and I look forward to seeing you on the other side in October! ;0)
Profile Image for Chris.
2,066 reviews
August 19, 2017
I really enjoyed Holden & Six and was thrown by the change of flow part way through the book ... no spoilers... but Yippee for Six ! I liked the fact that Trent & Nate came back into the story and that pieces started coming together. I'm looking forward to book 3 - wonder if the weirdo incestous Black family come to the rescue ? Bring it on
Profile Image for Toni FGMAMTC.
1,641 reviews18 followers
July 7, 2017
FGMAMTC Blog Review + Excerpt & Extras
The Community series is about people with different types and levels of psychic abilities. Holden and Six are the main couple in Oversight. Readers met Holden in Insight. He's able to recognize how people are feeling. He can literally experience their senses and send vibes affecting their awareness. Because of his special abilities and the way his father has treated him, he isn't sure if anyone is truly attracted to him or simply reacting to the vibes he's sending them. Six is impenetrable, which is a downer to Holden at first but is actually good for his self-esteem. While these guys are getting to know each other, the mysteries surrounding the psy population are growing. People disappear. Things are happening at the Farm. It's difficult to know who to trust and what to believe.
Oversight delivers the suspense and romance. There are plenty of secrets to sort and emotions to experience, and the guys' hook ups are beyond sexy. I recommend it for sure and can't wait for the next book.

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

Fangirl Moments and My Two Cents

Website / Facebook / Twitter / Google+ / Pinterest / Goodreads / Tumblr / Bloglovin' / Instagram

Profile Image for Sarah.
1,706 reviews103 followers
March 11, 2018
This was a great second book in the series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the pacing was a little tighter in this one and the world building was vivid. I liked the intrigue and conspiracy angle and the paranormal aspects. The characters were magic, and I particularly liked Six.
Profile Image for Jordan.
379 reviews45 followers
June 24, 2017
5/5 – This one was significantly better than the last!

I was really scared going into this one because the last few books I’ve read by Hassell just didn’t compare to his other work and I was starting to get a little disappointed, but this one was a pleasant surprise. Not even a chapter in and I could already tell that Santino had gotten his mojo back. I’m not sure what changed between writing his last two books and this one, but this was a huuuuuggghhh improvement.

Holden wasn’t my favorite from the last book. I don’t think he was really anybody’s favorite. I actually actively disliked him and if it weren’t for this book, I’d have thought he were just pure evil. However, I’m really glad that we got this book because as it turns out, there’s a lot more to Holden’s character than what we got to see through Nate and Trent’s eyes.

Similarly, I had really weird feelings about the last book. I know Santino’s written paranormal before but the first book almost felt like there was more of telling you what was going on rather than showing you and it made it feel a little gimmicky. I didn’t get that feeling with this book. Maybe that’s because I kind of knew what was going on already and didn’t need the background info a second time around or what, but it was a huge improvement in that respect.

My favorite character was Six, the other MC. I don’t want to say too much about him because learning who he is as a person and getting to know his character was an experience that I think Santino thought about very carefully and I don’t want to push any spoilers your way, but just know that despite all of the crappy things he seems to do, he’s really a good guy. I didn’t like him much at first and I was afraid that I wasn’t going to like him at all and there would be no hope for character redemption by the time Santino decided to make him one of the “good guys” but the way that Six is written… just trust me. He comes across creepy and mysterious and he kind of remains that way throughout the entire book, but he’s not quite as bad as you might expect after reading the first two chapters or so.

And the romance between these two! Man, Holden had it bad! As someone who is so used to using his body and his gift to get his way, it frustrated Holden to no end knowing that Six wasn’t reacting to either (or at least he wasn’t at first). There was an incredible amount of character development in this book from both Holden and Six and I think that’s one of the things that was missing from the first book. You definitely need to read the first book to follow this one. It is by no means a standalone novel, but it is 100% worth reading through Insight to get to it. I loved these characters and I really can’t wait to get my hands on the next novel in this series, I just really hope it’s as good as this one (or better).

I’m very pleased that Santino seems to have gotten his mojo back and is writing some better characters. I hope this keeps up throughout the series and extends to his other work as well. With the way The Community is heading as a series, it’s starting to give me ICOS vibes and I very much like that.

description 17689381.jpg

Reviewed by Jordan at Alpha Book Club.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed herein are my own and not influenced by the author or the publisher in any way.
Profile Image for Rafa Brewster.
257 reviews21 followers
July 2, 2017
There were some things I liked (the connection between Holden and Six) or was okay with (the way it ended) but overall it was disappointingly lacking in detail or explanation. I know this happens a lot with the middle book in a trilogy but I really felt like there were a ton of holes everywhere. The final third was a mess and everything about the rescue plan was shambolic. I felt like it was the most ragtag bunch of infiltrators to ever attempt a mission ever. Nate, Trent and Lia were seriously going to do a rescue mission on their own, possibly with Six? If Six was expecting Lia (minus Nate and Trent), why didn't he mention this to Holden when Holden warned him someone was approaching? Why didn't Lia or Six call in any other Ex-Comm members for help for a job this big (involving their founder, hi)? I have a million other questions but I think I need a nap.
Profile Image for JustJen "Miss Conduct".
2,269 reviews150 followers
June 26, 2017

Review by The Blogger Girls.

This story picks up after the events of the first book, which you really have to read to understand what is happening in this world. Following the events from that installment, Holden, the owner of the gay club and safe haven for wayward gay psys, is now forced by his father to take on a new employee (or a new babysitter), a man who Holden remembered from his childhood and time at the Farm. He also happens to be an invulnerable, or someone who is unaffected by other psy powers. Unfortunately, he is also unable to feel any empathy. Couple that with his decade-long seclusion by the Community, and he appears to be one cold son of a gun.

Right from the get go, you can tell these guys are going to end up being perfect for one another, but it takes a while for things to get there. They have a lot of trust issues, and everything is not as it seems. The same is true for what has been happening of late with the murders and missing people. It all leads back to the Community, but Holden is torn between what he is learning and what he knows from how he grew up. Everything he learned and knew about the Community growing up is now being questioned, but as the facts start piling up, Holden begins to question things more and more.

Holden needs answers, and the only one who can possibly give them to him is the man who spent so much time at the facility – Six. Little by little, they begin to trust each other. They have shared a connection from when they were young, and it is obvious that it still remains (and, in fact, grows) the more time they spend together. Holden shows Six what he has been missing with everything from touch, to caring and sex. I loved Six and his unease with being able to be a normal human and how that took a little bit of adjustment for Holden but didn’t let it affect them for very long. I loved this pairing! An empath who has always used his gift, and someone to whom that has no effect. They allowed each other to shine in other areas and were really just exactly what each other needed.

This installment had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I want answers just as bad as the others. My heart was still broken for what happened (was happening) to Chase, and I’m fully on board with Team Ex-Comm. Where the first book set up the world and story, this one was fully immersed and going strong. The creepy goings on with Holden’s father and the Community and what it has become are touched on even more. I cannot wait for the next book to see how this all plays out!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 180 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.