Start by marking “The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data” as Want to Read:

Kevin Mitnick, the world's most famous hacker, teaches you easy cloaking and counter-measures for citizens and consumers in the age of Big Brother and Big Data.

Like it or not, your every move is being watched and analyzed. Consumer's identities are being stolen, and a person's every step is being tracked and stored. What once might have been dismissed as paranoia is now a
Published February 14th 2017 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Invisibility, please sign up.
Manik Patil In the light of Cambridge Analytica and Facebook's hearing in the Congress, these two books provide complementary information.

Bruce Schneier's 'Data…more

Bruce Schneier's 'Data and Goliath' delves deeper into how citizens trade off privacy to the State (for sake of protection) and Corporate (for sake of convenience). It also focuses on what we can do individually and as a society to ensure that security and privacy both co-exist without a trade-off.

Kevin Mitnick's Art of Invisibility provides privacy protection self-help guide for the self-initiated.

I highly recommend it to anyone, who has a ton to lose (reputation-wise and financially) if their devices are hacked because these books provide a decent insight into the level of exposure one has. (less)

Julie
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Invisibility by Kevin Mitnick: The world’s most famous hacker, teaches you easy cloaking and countermeasures for citizens and consumers in the age of Big Brother and Big Data- is a Little, Brown, and Company publication.

Online privacy is always of concern, but after the Snowden revelation, people became even more aware of how easy it is for companies and the government to spy on us. VPN’s suddenly became mainstream and browsers like DuckDuckGo and programs like Tor became commonplace
Manuel Antão
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

This is How the World Will End: "The Art of Invisibility" by Kevin Mitnick, Robert Vamosi

This book calls for a limerick of "me" own:

This is how the world will end.
This is how the world will end.
Not with the roar of a lion
But with the click of a mouse.

Mitnick's and Vamosi's book is for the layman. You won't find here buffer overflows (NOP sled,  or overwriting the stack return pointer), network scans/DoS attacks, integer overflow expl
Bradley
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scary.

I mean, what non-fiction book about the sheer amount of security loopholes wouldn't be scary? I mean, we're talking about our identities online, in our homes and through all our smart devices, our cars, our workplaces, and everywhere.

It's not even about government abuses. It's about the fact that everyone, everywhere, is at risk. Snowdon may have opened our eyes, but the reality remains that your breasts are still online. Everywhere. Never to be deleted. Always accessible. Forever.

If you'
Bianca Smith
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
You may be questioning why a digital marketer would encourage reading the Art of Invisibility. It’s a book teaching how to hide your online life. Hiding online actions does tend to make our jobs as digital marketers rather difficult.

However, you need to read this book for several reasons. First, I believe in informed choices. Yes, we use audience data for decision making (well, we should). And the data isn’t always anonymized. But our audiences should know and consent to this. Second, this book
Christopher Lawson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trust Me: Even You Are Not Invisible. At Least Not Yet.

THE ART OF INVISIBILITY is a little bit scary. The authors, Kevin Mitnick and Robert Vamosi, document the myriads of ways that others can spy on our activities. You might think no one knows what you are doing, but you are wrong: "Each and every one of us is being watched." If you carry a cell phone, "You are being surveilled."

Mitnick tells the story of how the famous John McAfee, on the lam, was found supposedly by coordinates listed in the
Donna
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

3.5 stars.

I had many different thoughts and feelings while reading this. The author is an ex-hacker and has done jail time. So some of this felt like it was written by a criminal FOR CRIMINALS.

The author offered a wide range of ideas on how to protect one's identity while on the computer. With some of his ideas, I felt a little pride because I could say, "Did it already." There were also some other useful ideas that I felt I could easily implement. But some of this was so completely over my hea
Maru Kun
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just watched on Japan’s main nightly news program an interview with the Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Christopher Wylie in which he explained how Facebook data was used by CA to manipulate the results US 2016 Presidential election and the Brexit Referendum, both of which it is worth remembering were extremely close.

According to Mr Wylie 200 Facebook “likes” are enough to reliably categorize you by age, gender, political affiliation, marital status and a host of other indicators including h
Youghourta
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
كتاب يتحدث عن الخطوات اللازمة لتصبح مختفيًا على الأنظار لما تبحر على الإنترنت بشكل عام وكيف تحمي خصوصيتك الرقمية بشكل خاص.

ربما وصف ما يتحدث الكتاب عنه بـ"الفن" أمر مقصود، حيث أن الإلمام بجميع الأساسيات التي يُعالجها الكتاب ليس كفيلًا بضمان تخفيك الكامل عن الأنظار، بقدر ما هو معرفة بجملة الأخطاء الشائعة التي يُمكنك أن تقع فيها إن أردت أن تبقى مُختفيًا على الأنظار، أو حتى للحفاظ على خصوصيتك.
الإشكال الذي يواجهنا حاليًا هو أننا تحت مُراقبة دائمة ولصيقة، فإن لم تظهر صورتك في أية كاميرات مُراقبة، وإن
Mona
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cybersecurity had been a big interest of mine for a while, so this book didn't bring enlightment but I certainly learned a few things. Author, in simple language designed for average Joe, describes basics of security in the era of internet. He mentions few useful applications and websites, but this is not step by step guide how to install Tor on your computer for example. This book could be two edge sword - it can make you feel depressed, as there is not such a thing as a complete invisibility i ...more
linhtalinhtinh
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
A fascinating and tremendously helpful piece of writing. Because of this book, I spent hours changing all my passwords, my online accounts, hours reconfiguring my laptop and cellphone, haha.

The writing isn't that great, and Mitnick's ego gets in the way often, but well, I pick up the book for the other infos that he provides. I have little knowledge in cyber security so this is awesome, but for others with stronger background, it may not be so. I wish the book were more detailed on the exact wo
Andy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own
A cautionary tale of just how visible you are on the internet and in todays connected society.

First off I am fully aware of the irony of posting a review of this book online on Goodreads, my blog and Facebook after reading a book on how to be invisible on the internet.....

This was a an entertaining read and although I work in the IT field, there were still some security facts in the book that I was not aware so I learnt a fair amount. There are also some useful references for security tools that
Travis
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, audio
This is a lot of material, and obviously most of it won't apply to most people, but it's a fascinating look into just how much we take for granted in today's world of electronic devices. This is a good reference for anyone who wants to learn about technology in general, or the internet specifically, and if it teaches even a few people to be a bit less free with their personal information, then I think the author would consider writing the book time well spent.
Wayne Marinovich
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this read. It can be a little tech heavy in some places, as is the nature of the beast. Scared the bejeezus out of me in other areas. Orwell was right. Hi there, big brother.
Fawaz Abdul rahman
this book gives you a lot of information about the privacy in the virtual world (internet).
what are the things are being tracked, why you're tracked, what are the impacts and much more, and more importantly, how to protect your self from those trackings.
It's better to read the written addition of the book, if you decided to go with the audiobook keep something to take notes while reading, you may need write down some names of add-ons or software.
some information is repeated so many times, but li
Lily ☁️
“This book is all about staying online while retaining our precious privacy.”

3 1/2 stars. Well, reading The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data has certainly been a very sobering experience. If Mitnick’s goal in writing this book was to to scare us readers into paranoia, he’s for sure succeeded.

Nowadays, none of us could imagine living without our electronics, but how much do we really know about the way they wor
Chad Warner
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: security enthusiasts, privacy enthusiasts
Packed with strategies and tactics for increasing your digital security and privacy. It instills a privacy mindset. Each chapter raises awareness by explaining some privacy challenges in a not overly-technical way, usually with specific examples or stories, then gives instructions and advice on how to protect your privacy in the face of those challenges.

Average computer and phone users will likely be overwhelmed; this book is most useful to those whose tech-savviness is above average.

You'll quic
Knigoqdec
Според мен само един американец може да е дотолкова обсебен от темата "личното ми пространство е нарушено". Сериозно... Не знам колко хиляди примери мога да дам от тази книга, които звучат като дошли от някакъв параноичен и побъркан на тази тема. ОК, разбирам целта - да се борим за "справедливост"... обаче да трябва да се изправям срещу хладилника си ми идва в повече.
Сайтовете събират информацията ми с цел реклама и я записват? Ми хубаво, нека записват... аз нямам нищо против да ми рекламират кн
Stephen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, you want to be invisible online? Great. All you'll need is three separate computers -- one for your top secret business, one for your banking, and one for your everyday use; a few new email addresses, a handful of burner phones, a large pile of cash to buy gift cards and electronics without leaving a credit trace, a slightly larger pile if you intend on paying strangers to buy said cards and electronics for you, an ability to habitually lie, and the concentration of a criminal mastermind to ...more
Allison
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think I've been in denial about how little privacy we have on the internet. Kevin Mitnick has soundly disabused me of my unfounded sense of security. He goes through pretty much every device and/or convenience connected to the web and illuminates their vulnerabilities and ways they can be exploited. Thankfully he follows this by explaining how individuals can protect themselves, should they so choose. The technical aspects are clearly written, and wryly interspersed with anecdotes to add levit ...more
M.K. England
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great resource for authors!
Salem Lorot
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a relevant book to read. There was so much I didn't know.
Jon
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tech
Did you know that it's relatively easy for an attacker to turn on your webcam or microphone without you knowing it? If not, you might get something out of this book. If you are aware that it can and has happened on many very public occasions, you will not be treated to anything new. In either case, you're going to have to wade through the bad writing, pointless stories, errors, and potential bad advice to get through Mitnick's latest effort.

Admittedly, there is a lot less of Mitnick's preteen wr
Donna Foster
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
An eye opening book of techno knowledge and easy to follow life hacks to secure your world and greatly reduce your cyber footprint.
John
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The basic message here is that it is virtually impossible to be invisible. The author goes into quite excruciating detail on the myriad of ways you can be spied upon and hacked. Nothing is safe. Oh yes he does detail a method to attempt to become invisible but this involves having a dedicated single use laptop, an untraceable virtual private network, multiple anonymous email accounts, getting a random person to buy you numerous untraceable gift cards, using Bitcoin with 2 separate untraceable Bi ...more
Andrew
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-affairs, it
This excellent book focuses on why we need to think about our on-line privacy in an age when we have become so dependent on the "Digital Highway".

From smartphones, in use just about everywhere to voice managed TV's, remotely controlled fridges and home heating systems, our lives have been made so much easier, but at a cost.

It is not just that governments and the numerous corporations we deal with are collecting copious amounts of data about us, mostly without our knowledge. We need to ask what
Ryan Lackey
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best beginner introduction to privacy on the Internet that I've yet found. It is factually correct even as an expert (only a couple minor points where I'd disagree with him), but most importantly, it is motivated well with real examples, "why you do things", and thus teaches people to reason correctly about security, not just blindly repeat steps.
Emmanuel
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mr. Mitnick is a world-renowned hacker and presently works as an Information Security consultant. He covers a wealth of information based on his experience and past encounters with the law. Some of the most interesting topics covered in this book have to do with password security, biometrics, encryption, email security, bitcoin, wiretapping, surveillance mechanisms and backdoors, ransomware, social-media exposure, geo-location metadata and software vulnerabilities.

The basic thought I walked awa
Melinda
Wow. This book hold some scary shit inside. Very informative and really makes you think about all the times you allow your privacy to be breached without even realising it. There are so many ways that you open yourself up to having your personal data available to people that may not have your best interests at heart.

This was an interesting book to read - and to rate.

Part of me thought that some of the things you should do to look after your presence online were easy to implement and pretty sens
Kris
Basic Security Tips (not the focus of this book):

- SECURE PASSWORD = LONG “PASS-PHRASE” of at least 20-25 characters, use random characters, not just a password. Never use same password/phrase for 2 different sites. When writing down passwords/phrases, make a cryptic reference to what they are AND write down only an INCOMPLETE password/phrase (e.g., only the first part).
- Use a password manager (hmm, not sure about this…)

- CHECK IF USERS ADDED TO YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT re: unauthorized forwarding of
Shannon
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
So kind of more like a 3.5... I can't say I LOVED this, but it's been great research for a book I'm working on - and IF YOU WANT TO WRITE A MODERN SPY novel, a DYSTOPIAN GOVT CHASING YOU DOWN book, or write anything related to HACKING... this book is full of information on how the government and private entities can TRACK YOU DOWN.

Also, this book is extremely paranoid-inducing.

(no one is safe)

Like, I keep thinking - wow - if I ever have enough money for anyone to care about - I need to re-read
Beyond the Book: Are you changing your passwords tonight? 1 6 May 01, 2018 12:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 13 Feb 26, 2018 07:11PM
Goodreads Librari...: The Art of Invisibility 2 14 Oct 15, 2017 12:36PM
The Art of Invisibility page count missing 2 5 Oct 15, 2017 09:58AM
  • Geekonomics: The Real Cost of Insecure Software
  • Light Falls: Space, Time, and an Obsession of Einstein
  • Unmasking the Social Engineer: The Human Element of Security
  • The Watchman: The Twisted Life and Crimes of Serial Hacker Kevin Poulsen
  • The Practice of Network Security Monitoring: Understanding Incident Detection and Response
  • Hacking the Xbox: An Introduction to Reverse Engineering
  • Breaking and Entering: The Extraordinary Story of a Hacker Called "Alien"
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • Creation: Life and How to Make It
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own the Box
  • A Bug Hunter's Diary: A Guided Tour Through the Wilds of Software Security
  • I Know Who You Are and I Saw What You Did: Social Networks and the Death of Privacy
  • Stealing the Network: How to Own an Identity
  • Nightwork: A History of Hacks and Pranks at MIT
  • Information Doesn't Want to Be Free: Laws for the Internet Age
  • The Adventures of John Blake: Mystery of the Ghost Ship
  • A Mind at Play: How Claude Shannon Invented the Information Age
  • Words Onscreen: The Fate of Reading in a Digital World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most famous (former) computer hacker, has been the subject of countless news and magazine articles, the idol of thousands of would-be hackers, and a one-time "most wanted" criminal of cyberspace, on the run from the bewildered Feds. Now a security consultant, he has spoken to audiences at conventions around the world, been on dozens of major national TV and radio shows, ...more
“Take a moment and surf over to Panopticlick.com. This is a site built by the Electronic Frontier Foundation that will determine just how common or unique your browser configuration is compared to others, based on what’s running on your PC or mobile device’s operating system and the plug-ins you may have installed.” 0 likes
“for example the rule set called leetspeak—a system for replacing letters with numbers, as in “k3v1n m17n1ck.” 0 likes