Start by marking “The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data” as Want to Read:

Kevin Mitnick, the world's most famous hacker, teaches you easy cloaking and counter-measures for citizens and consumers in the age of Big Brother and Big Data.

Like it or not, your every move is being watched and analyzed. Consumer's identities are being stolen, and a person's every step is being tracked and stored. What once might have been dismissed as paranoia is now a
Published February 14th 2017 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Invisibility, please sign up.
Manik Patil In the light of Cambridge Analytica and Facebook's hearing in the Congress, these two books provide complementary information.

Bruce Schneier's 'Data a…more

Bruce Schneier's 'Data and Goliath' delves deeper into how citizens trade off privacy to the State (for sake of protection) and Corporate (for sake of convenience). It also focuses on what we can do individually and as a society to ensure that security and privacy both co-exist without a trade-off.

Kevin Mitnick's Art of Invisibility provides privacy protection self-help guide for the self-initiated.

I highly recommend it to anyone, who has a ton to lose (reputation-wise and financially) if their devices are hacked because these books provide a decent insight into the level of exposure one has. (less)

Start your review of The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data
Julie
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Invisibility by Kevin Mitnick: The world’s most famous hacker, teaches you easy cloaking and countermeasures for citizens and consumers in the age of Big Brother and Big Data- is a Little, Brown, and Company publication.

Online privacy is always of concern, but after the Snowden revelation, people became even more aware of how easy it is for companies and the government to spy on us. VPN’s suddenly became mainstream and browsers like DuckDuckGo and programs like Tor became commonplace
Manuel Antão
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

This is How the World Will End: "The Art of Invisibility" by Kevin Mitnick, Robert Vamosi

This book calls for a limerick of "me" own:

This is how the world will end.
This is how the world will end.
Not with the roar of a lion
But with the click of a mouse.

Mitnick's and Vamosi's book is for the layman. You won't find here buffer overflows (NOP sled,  or overwriting the stack return pointer), network scans/DoS attacks, integer overflow expl
Bradley
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Scary.

I mean, what non-fiction book about the sheer amount of security loopholes wouldn't be scary? I mean, we're talking about our identities online, in our homes and through all our smart devices, our cars, our workplaces, and everywhere.

It's not even about government abuses. It's about the fact that everyone, everywhere, is at risk. Snowdon may have opened our eyes, but the reality remains that your breasts are still online. Everywhere. Never to be deleted. Always accessible. Forever.

If you'
Bianca Smith
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
You may be questioning why a digital marketer would encourage reading the Art of Invisibility. It’s a book teaching how to hide your online life. Hiding online actions does tend to make our jobs as digital marketers rather difficult.

However, you need to read this book for several reasons. First, I believe in informed choices. Yes, we use audience data for decision making (well, we should). And the data isn’t always anonymized. But our audiences should know and consent to this. Second, this book
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
5 stars

Will read again.

🇺🇸💀
Christopher Lawson
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Trust Me: Even You Are Not Invisible. At Least Not Yet.

THE ART OF INVISIBILITY is a little bit scary. The authors, Kevin Mitnick and Robert Vamosi, document the myriads of ways that others can spy on our activities. You might think no one knows what you are doing, but you are wrong: "Each and every one of us is being watched." If you carry a cell phone, "You are being surveilled."

Mitnick tells the story of how the famous John McAfee, on the lam, was found supposedly by coordinates listed in the
Donna
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction

3.5 stars.

I had many different thoughts and feelings while reading this. The author is an ex-hacker and has done jail time. So some of this felt like it was written by a criminal FOR CRIMINALS.

The author offered a wide range of ideas on how to protect one's identity while on the computer. With some of his ideas, I felt a little pride because I could say, "Did it already." There were also some other useful ideas that I felt I could easily implement. But some of this was so completely over my hea
Liliana
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Consider this as the self-help guide for those interested in privacy protection.

This was a random pick but a fortunate one. It must be the first non-fiction book that is exactly the right length, has the perfect ratio between providing background, facts, anecdotes and recommendations/tips for the reader. From my perspective, it also didn't have as much bias as other books that I've encountered, with (personal) anecdotes often including mistakes rather than infallible moments.

And what better tha
Melissa
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, technically I didn't finish this but only because I want the ebook version so I can actually try to do some of these things. You can't exactly do the steps by audio. 😁 I have the book on hold at the library and will finish this then. The audio was great and I thought about finishing just because it was interesting, but decided I shouldn't waste time when I was just going to read it later.

4 stars. I have NO idea this guy knows what he is talking about. It is all way over my head, but it sound
Maru Kun
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just watched on Japan’s main nightly news program an interview with the Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Christopher Wylie in which he explained how Facebook data was used by CA to manipulate the results US 2016 Presidential election and the Brexit Referendum, both of which it is worth remembering were extremely close.

According to Mr Wylie 200 Facebook “likes” are enough to reliably categorize you by age, gender, political affiliation, marital status and a host of other indicators including h
Catalin Negru
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Target audience: The primary target of the book are the common people who use computers and have a basic understanding of they work. The secondary target are people who activate in the domain of cybersecurity.

About the author: According to Wikipedia, Kevin David Mitnick is an American computer security consultant, author, and convicted hacker, best known for his high-profile 1995 arrest and five years later in prison for various computer and communications-related crimes. He now runs the securit
Mona
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cybersecurity had been a big interest of mine for a while, so this book didn't bring enlightment but I certainly learned a few things. Author, in simple language designed for average Joe, describes basics of security in the era of internet. He mentions few useful applications and websites, but this is not step by step guide how to install Tor on your computer for example. This book could be two edge sword - it can make you feel depressed, as there is not such a thing as a complete invisibility i ...more
Jon
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tech
Did you know that it's relatively easy for an attacker to turn on your webcam or microphone without you knowing it? If not, you might get something out of this book. If you are aware that it can and has happened on many very public occasions, you will not be treated to anything new. In either case, you're going to have to wade through the bad writing, pointless stories, errors, and potential bad advice to get through Mitnick's latest effort.

Admittedly, there is a lot less of Mitnick's preteen wr
Andy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own
A cautionary tale of just how visible you are on the internet and in todays connected society.

First off I am fully aware of the irony of posting a review of this book online on Goodreads, my blog and Facebook after reading a book on how to be invisible on the internet.....

This was a an entertaining read and although I work in the IT field, there were still some security facts in the book that I was not aware so I learnt a fair amount. There are also some useful references for security tools that
Ben McBride
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting, I learned a lot, and feel a little bit safer. I also think I could probably be a criminal now.
Brahm
Dec 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I read Mitnick's Ghost in the Wires in 2011-ish (my review) and really liked it - I knew about Mitnick from being a geeky wanna-be kid computer hacker; reading about his strung-together exploits was great wish fulfillment.

I'll start with a couple things I liked about The Art of Invisibility. In each chapter there were stories and anecdotes of people (mis)using technologies to conduct their business, or get caught in the act - these were consistently interesting. The book is decently accessible
Travis
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, audio
This is a lot of material, and obviously most of it won't apply to most people, but it's a fascinating look into just how much we take for granted in today's world of electronic devices. This is a good reference for anyone who wants to learn about technology in general, or the internet specifically, and if it teaches even a few people to be a bit less free with their personal information, then I think the author would consider writing the book time well spent.
Wayne Marinovich
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this read. It can be a little tech heavy in some places, as is the nature of the beast. Scared the bejeezus out of me in other areas. Orwell was right. Hi there, big brother.
Fawaz Abdul rahman
this book gives you a lot of information about the privacy in the virtual world (internet).
what are the things are being tracked, why you're tracked, what are the impacts and much more, and more importantly, how to protect your self from those trackings.
It's better to read the written addition of the book, if you decided to go with the audiobook keep something to take notes while reading, you may need write down some names of add-ons or software.
some information is repeated so many times, but li
Lazybee
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Heavy read. It does cover a lot for a small book. How to anonymous in the current age. Book is a bit outdated but relevant underlying principles. If you want to know how much you are vulnerable to a cyber attack, you can read this. It was fun while it lasted. Last few chapters were really helpful.
Tam
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
A fascinating and tremendously helpful piece of writing. Because of this book, I spent hours changing all my passwords, my online accounts, hours reconfiguring my laptop and cellphone, haha.

The writing isn't that great, and Mitnick's ego gets in the way often, but well, I pick up the book for the other infos that he provides. I have little knowledge in cyber security so this is awesome, but for others with stronger background, it may not be so. I wish the book were more detailed on the exact wo
Lily ☁️
“This book is all about staying online while retaining our precious privacy.”

3 1/2 stars. Well, reading The Art of Invisibility: The World's Most Famous Hacker Teaches You How to Be Safe in the Age of Big Brother and Big Data has certainly been a very sobering experience. If Mitnick’s goal in writing this book was to to scare us readers into paranoia, he’s for sure succeeded.

Nowadays, none of us could imagine living without our electronics, but how much do we really know about the way they w
Chad Warner
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: security enthusiasts, privacy enthusiasts
Packed with strategies and tactics for increasing your digital security and privacy. It instills a privacy mindset. Each chapter raises awareness by explaining some privacy challenges in a not overly-technical way, usually with specific examples or stories, then gives instructions and advice on how to protect your privacy in the face of those challenges.

Average computer and phone users will likely be overwhelmed; this book is most useful to those whose tech-savviness is above average.

You'll quic
Stephen
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
So, you want to be invisible online? Great. All you'll need is three separate computers -- one for your top secret business, one for your banking, and one for your everyday use; a few new email addresses, a handful of burner phones, a large pile of cash to buy gift cards and electronics without leaving a credit trace, a slightly larger pile if you intend on paying strangers to buy said cards and electronics for you, an ability to habitually lie, and the concentration of a criminal mastermind to ...more
Allison
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think I've been in denial about how little privacy we have on the internet. Kevin Mitnick has soundly disabused me of my unfounded sense of security. He goes through pretty much every device and/or convenience connected to the web and illuminates their vulnerabilities and ways they can be exploited. Thankfully he follows this by explaining how individuals can protect themselves, should they so choose. The technical aspects are clearly written, and wryly interspersed with anecdotes to add levit ...more
Grumpus
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: miscellaneous
The grumpus23 (23-word commentary) Maintaining separation between your real and anonymous life is possible, but requires constant vigilance. However, online invisibility is not feasible for average Joes.
M.K. England
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great resource for authors!
Nadine Jones
recommended by mom
Salem Lorot
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a relevant book to read. There was so much I didn't know.
Donna Foster
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
An eye opening book of techno knowledge and easy to follow life hacks to secure your world and greatly reduce your cyber footprint.
Beyond the Book: Are you changing your passwords tonight? 1 8 May 01, 2018 12:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add details 3 15 Feb 26, 2018 07:11PM
Goodreads Librari...: The Art of Invisibility 2 14 Oct 15, 2017 12:36PM
The Art of Invisibility page count missing 2 7 Oct 15, 2017 09:58AM

• Permanent Record
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • Data and Goliath: The Hidden Battles to Collect Your Data and Control Your World
  • Penetration Testing: A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking
  • Cult of the Dead Cow: How the Original Hacking Supergroup Might Just Save the World
  • Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
  • Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin's Most Dangerous Hackers
  • Future Crimes
  • The Dark Net: Inside the Digital Underworld
  • Obfuscation: A User's Guide for Privacy and Protest
  • Defensive Security Handbook: Best Practices for Securing Infrastructure
  • When Google Met Wikileaks
  • Zero Day (Jeff Aiken, #1)
  • How to Measure Anything in Cybersecurity Risk
  • CISSP: A Comprehensive Beginners Guide on the Information Systems Security
  • Hacking the Future: Privacy, Identity, and Anonymity on the Web

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most famous (former) computer hacker, has been the subject of countless news and magazine articles, the idol of thousands of would-be hackers, and a one-time "most wanted" criminal of cyberspace, on the run from the bewildered Feds. Now a security consultant, he has spoken to audiences at conventions around the world, been on dozens of major national TV and radio shows, ...more