Start by marking “A Gentleman Never Tells” as Want to Read:
A Gentleman Never Tells

A Gentleman Never Tells

(Essex Sisters #4.5)

A witty, sexy novella about a virgin widow and a rake with something to prove.

Eighteen months ago, Lizzie Troutt’s husband died in his mistress’s bed, leaving her determined to never marry again….and unfortunately virginal.

Eighteen years ago (give or take a few) the Honorable Oliver Berwick blackened his own soul, leaving him hardened and resolutely single.

When the chance
Published July 26th 2016 by Avon Impulse (first published June 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Gentleman Never Tells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gentleman Never Tells

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie

This novella was the perfect little teaser to get me intrigued enough to start reading the Essex sisters series by Eloisa James. This is book 4.5 in the series and while it might be a novella it packs quite a punch. As I said I haven't read the books preceding this one but I definitely kept up with the story and I can safely say that it could be read as standalone. And if like me you were wondering if the series would be something you'd enjoy I would definitely recommend trying A Gentleman Never
Caz
This charming novella is loosely related to Eloisa James’ Essex Sisters series by virtue of the fact that the heroine’s sister is friends with Josie, Countess of Mayne. The central romance develops quickly – over the space of a couple of days – but it’s well done, with plenty of humour and crackling chemistry between the two leads which enables the reader to buy into this whirlwind courtship without the need for the suspension of too much disbelief.

Lizzie, Lady Troutt has been a widow for just
Ann
Thanks to the publisher for an advance reader's copy.

Oh feminist romance writers, you are so fun to discover at this point in my life. Even though the short format required instalove, I liked these characters and their baggage. I didn't know it was part of a series when I requested it, but didn't have any issues understanding the backstory. Plus, there's a literal bodice-ripping, which made me laugh out loud.
Debbie I Heart YA Books

A Gentleman Never Tells is a Historical Romance full of humor, wonderful characters that you will fall in love with, and sensual, sexy romance. After eighteen months, Lizzie is still mourning the death of her husband. But truthfully, she’s really in hiding from the humiliation and embarrassment of the way her husband died: in his mistress's bed. Lizzie's older sister, Cat, has had enough of Lizzie hiding and sets a plan in motion, asking Oliver Berwick to bring Lizzie back into the land of the l
Bj
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 "The Widow Finds Her Match" Stars.

Eloisa James' latest release is a romantic novella built around a second chance at love motif. Demonstrating her signature creative talent and adeptness at weaving in some comical, witty scenes (remember the rented pineapple in My American Duchess!) into her romances, A Gentleman Never Tells, was a short and entertaining read. For example, some of my favorite scenes included certain "plum" references and rather inventive croquet game playing.

Married off to g
Sarina Bowen
This was great! This author never disappoints, and this novella was adorable. Loved the ending. Loved the silly niece and her shenanigans. If you're not sure you like historical romances, this little nugget of love will convince you that you should.
Billiebumblebee
Haha I don't even know how to rate this! It's so good but so bad but so good. It made me laugh both at it and with it so I'm perfectly content with this quick read.
WTF Are You Reading?
Oliver Berwick is a man with a conscience. A conscience which will not rest until a wrong left unrighted for some 18 years, has been addressed. Little does he know that his repentant heart, coupled with the urging of his most vocal niece, and a little old fashioned manipulation will all work to bring his once darkened soul the lasting reprieve that is true love.

Lizzie Troutt is a woman who has made herself at home on the shelf of widowhood. Denied the chance to be a wife, by her now dead philand
Jenny
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At this point, I'd forgotten all about the Essex sisters. There have been a lot of books under the bridge since then, as it were. However, this book achieves something a novella rarely does--the ability to stand alone. Oliver and Lizzie's story is the perfect confection for a miserable summer day. Though they do fall in insta-love, it's believable. I may change my mind upon reading it a second time, so we'll see how it holds up.
Marlene
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

This one was just good fun. And sometimes that’s exactly what a reader, or at any rate this reader, is looking for.

Oliver is just so earnest. He really needs the element of whimsy (and occasional hair-pulling insanity) that his niece Hattie brings into his life. She lightens him up, and he needs that lightness, even as both he and the reader want to shake his sister. Oliver has become Hattie’s guardian not through the usual tragedy, but because his sister a
Hannah
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC REVIEW

A Gentleman Never Tells is a continuation of Eloisa James’ The Essex Sisters series. That was a great series it was one of the first series I had read by her, it’s what hooked me, so I’m ecstatic that it is continued with this one. It fits in perfectly with the others in the series with its romance and humor with just the right amount of angst. It’s a short and cute little book, well novella.

Lizzie Troutt was forced to marry a man for his title by her Father. Her father wanting all hi
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
A Gentleman Never Tells by Eloisa James is a novella in the Essex Sisters series. I haven’t read the others in the series, but that didn’t stop me from enjoying this delightful regency novella. Lizzie was married to an oaf named Adrian who spent all of his time with his mistress. After his death, in the arms of his mistress no less, Lizzie has become to a shell of her previous self. Even 18 months later, she wears her mourning/half-mourning clothes. She stays in her room reading, not wanting to ...more
Ang
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 3.5 - I found the seduction to be very hurried but I liked the characters. It could have been a full story instead of novella and I think I would have enjoyed it more. When it is so quick, logic intrudes on my romantic notions and I can't help but find it unbelievable. But since a novella, I get it. This in no way deters me from Eloisa James though - she is one of my favorite historical romance writers.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans
Look beyond the 'widow virgin' and you'll find an endearing historical romance novella between a bookworm many may relate to and a hero that knows what he wants.

Thank you, Christina, for recommending this book for a buddy read! :)
Blender
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hero is too good to be true... And I love him!
Vikki Vaught
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful! It has been a while since I read a book by Elosia James. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Elodie
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second read of Eloisa James, and also my second novella, next will be a novel for sure by I was looking for a short read.
It did the job but I do preferred Winning The Wallflower.
I learned it was related to a previous series, but it can be perfectly read as a standalone.
The heroine is a widow who suffered under the yoke of her late husband, nothing physical but rebuffs, belittlements and scandals shaped her in a very different woman she was before her wedding.
She lost her life’s sparkl
kris
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lizzie is a virgin widow, natch, and hurting from the inattentions of her late husband. Oliver, meanwhile, very much wants to give her all his...attentions.

1. Another James novella that didn't do it for me, pacing-wise. 30% of the novella is all set-up: Lizzia's self-esteem issues and not-eating issues and staying-in-her-room issues and Oliver's needing to apologize issues. And the insta-lust dissolves into insta-love that destroys all Lizzie's issues like so much butter on a hot pan.

2. Ugh, b
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
Cute!
Second of Eloisa James's novellas I have read (I don't have time for a full length novel rn) and it was enjoyable, very insta-lovey but super cute
Quinn's Book Nook
After really enjoying James' novella Winning the Wallfower, I decided to read another novella of hers that had been gathering dust on my kindle. A Gentleman Never Tells by Eloisa James was such an adorable read, and I'm so glad I read it.

A Gentleman Never Tells is about widow Lizzie Troutt, who's husband passed away in another woman's bed. Lizzie's marriage had been anything but happy, and has left some pretty emotional scars. Although it's been a year and a half since her husband's passing, Liz
Bambi Unbridled
Seriously, I have got to read more Eloisa James. I still have a backlog for her, but the stories I have read have been awesome quality and solid entertainment. Plus - I met her at the RT Convention this year and she was super nice! It's always great to fangirl over appreciative authors, and I had a great time talking to her at the Viva La Historical event.

A Gentlemen Never Tells is a novella in the Essex Sisters series - a series that I have not started. ***hangs head in shame*** But I was able
Malissa
This was the first book I have read by Eloise James and did not know when I originally signed up to review the book that it was part of a series. That said, I will absolutely be going back and picking up the series at book one and this book could definitely be read as a StandAlone. It is clear that we missed out on one relationship but nothing is given away you will still happily be able to go back and pick the series right up with out missing a beat.

Widowed Lizzie is falling deeper and deeper
Sheila Melo
FINAL DECISION:  A sweet repentant hero and a woman who no longer finds joy in life find the gentle possibility of love together.  This novella is abbreviated but has sweetness and humor.

THE STORY: Lizzie Troutt has been left a virgin widow with a poor sense of her own worth as a woman after being subjected to a marriage where her husband preferred his mistress to her.  Despite her older sister's wishes, Lizzie just wants to be left alone to read. Oliver Berwick has come to Lizzie sister's house
Erica Chilson
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Instant Gratification Stars.

Eloisa James is not a new-to-me author. Not a fangirl, but I have read the majority of her works. A Gentleman Never Tells is a novella set within the Essex Sisters series, but could be easily read as a standalone, even though it was pleasant to see past narrators.

Sometimes you don't have all day to dive into a 400-page novel, but you still want that happy, heartwarming injection of romance. A novel
Stephanie
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A GENTLEMAN NEVER TELLS by Eloisa James: Seduction by Croquet

E-Galley provided by publisher for review. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

As always, Eloisa has written a charming romp through mind, heart, drawing room, and bedroom. One could almost believe croquet might just replace flowers and candy as a way to a woman’s heart.

With a charming, but not rakish, gentleman of means who is the absolute o
Zeee  (I Heart Romance & YA)
This review first appeared on I Heart Romance & YA

Full disclosure. I haven't read the Essex Sisters series yet and I think this may change! I was absolutely CHARMED by A Gentleman Never Tells!

Picture this: a shy widow BUT she's a VIRGIN!

Our honorable hero: who has some groveling to do because of slights he did when he was younger.

What do we have? A wonderful story about second chance romance and love.

Because this is a novella, it reads very, very short. I breezed through the story and was r
Rustys
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t often read historical novels but when I do I look to authors who
excel in the genre. Eloisa James does just that.
When I was offered the arc for review I was ready for a change.
Why not a gentleman who speaks from his lustful heart to a virginal
widow?

He wanted to see her panting on his bed, all that glorious hair spilling around her shoulders.

The gentleman is Oliver Berwick whose intention is a simple one.
Apologize for rude name calling when he was younger only when he
meets his victim’s sis
Ariana
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just say that I adore Eloisa James. I've had the pleasure of meeting her on many occasions, I've had tea with her, and I feel that she is an amazingly kind, genuine person. She is also one of my top five favorite authors, of any genre. With that said, I was kind of disappointed in this book. I didn't particularly like Lizzy and even by the end when she began to open up more I still didn't warm up to her. Also, everything felt so rushed. I know that this was a short novella but I've read s ...more
Kelly
Sweet novella with all of Eloisa's signature charm (absurdly named characters? see: Sadie Sprinkle. warm, loving relationship between sisters? see: Lizzie and Cat. period-appropriate literary references? see: Sir Walter Scott's Evelina) and plenty of silly shenanigans. I love that you can depend on an Eloisa James romance not to take itself too seriously while maintaining a strong emotional center. Her books are like chocolate, and A Gentleman Never Tells is a tasty little bonbon.

Lizzie and Oliv
Beth
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Charming Novella Full of Lots of Humor

I picked this novella up on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. A Gentleman Never Tells by Eloisa James was a humorous book full of witty, fun dialogue. I loved seeing Oliver, the hero, coax Lizzie, the heroine, out of her shell. The author did a great job contrasting Oliver with Lizzie's late husband who did not treat her well and affected her self esteem. Oliver treated Lizzie's sister poorly in his youth and makes an effort to make amends and apologize
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• This Earl is on Fire (Season's Original #2)
  • The Governess Club: Bonnie (The Governess Club, #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to Skirting Scandal (The Lords of Worth, #2.5)
  • A Christmas Gone Perfectly Wrong (Blackshear Family, #0.5)
  • The Lie and the Lady (Winner Takes All, #2)
  • Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
  • Her Every Wish (The Worth Saga #1.5)
  • Chasing Lady Amelia (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #2)
  • Once Upon a Moonlit Night (Maiden Lane, #10.5)
  • Passion and Propriety (Hearts of Honour, #1)
  • The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)
  • The Scoundrel and I (Falcon Club, #4.5; The Prince Catchers, #3.5)
  • Four Weddings and a Sixpence: An Anthology
  • Kiss Me at Midnight
  • His Mistress (Self-Made Men #2)
  • Dirty Deeds (Mechanics of Love, #3)
  • The Viscount Who Lived Down the Lane (Rhymes With Love, #4)
  • The Earl Takes All (The Hellions of Havisham, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more

Essex Sisters (4 books)
  • Much Ado About You (Essex Sisters, #1)
  • Kiss Me, Annabel (Essex Sisters, #2)
  • The Taming of the Duke (Essex Sisters, #3)
  • Pleasure for Pleasure (Essex Sisters, #4)
“It’s as if someone knew my innermost desires, and shaped you only for me,” 2 likes