Jump to ratings and reviews

Ghostly Southern Mystery #6

A Ghostly Mortality

That ghost sure looks . . . familiar

Only a handful of people know that Emma Lee Raines, proprietor of a small-town Kentucky funeral home, is a “Betweener.” She helps ghosts stuck between here and the ever-after—murdered ghosts. Once Emma Lee gets them justice they can cross over to the great beyond.

Charlotte Rae has no earthly idea who murdered her or why. With her heart in tatters, Emma Lee relies more than ever on her sexy beau, Sheriff Jack Henry Ross…because this time, catching a killer means the Raines sisters will have to make peace with each other first.

336 pages, Paperback

First published February 28, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tonya Kappes

206 books2,564 followers
Click the FOLLOW button to be notified of Tonya Kappes's new and upcoming book releases.

Tonya Kappes has written more than 180 southern cozy mysteries, all of which have graced numerous bestseller lists, including USA Today . Best known for stories charged with southern charm, emotion and humor and filled with flawed characters, her novels have garnered reader praise and glowing critical reviews. She lives with her husband in northern Kentucky. Now that her four boys have flown out of the nest, Tonya writes full-time in her camper!

You can find her all over social media and at Tonyakappes.com .

Visit Tonya:
Facebook at Author Tonya Kappes,

Webpage
tonyakappes.com

Goodreads

Twitter

Pinterest

For weekly updates and contests, sign up for Tonya's newsletter Kappes Krew Weekly via her website or Facebook.For years,

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
16 (3%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 114 reviews
Profile Image for Madison Warner Fairbanks.
2,120 reviews275 followers
December 23, 2021
A Ghostly Mortality by Tonya Kappes
Southern Ghost Mystery series book 6. Paranormal cozy mystery. Best read as part of the series.
Emma Lee sees ghosts. Her job is to solve the murder so the ghost can move on. Hiding her abilities is the hard part.

The first three chapters are redone from the prior book because of the cliffhanger.
This was an emotional story for me. This time the ghost is Emma’s sister. No, they didn’t get along but still! It’s her sister’s murder that Emma needs to solve. It’s a bit sad when they admit to caring about each other when it’s too late to reconcile. Boyfriend Sheriff Jack Henry tries to help with the investigation but he’s more concerned with Emma’s safety so the two are sometimes at odds.
Poignant.
Profile Image for Micky Cox.
1,562 reviews16 followers
May 8, 2021
This time Emma's betweener client hits way to close to home and it's up to her to figure out what happened before everyone thinks she has gone completely crazy. Funny and sad with a bit of intrigue mixed in to keep you entertained and listening! This entire series has been available via audio book so far.
Profile Image for Melliane.
2,003 reviews340 followers
February 20, 2017
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I was really sad while finishing the previous volume and realizing that Charlotte Rae was killed. I know that she was a little annoying over Emma, but I liked their little fights and I’m sad to see that we won’t see them together again.

I had the chance to read the 5th and 6th book the one after the other but it’s true that I was a bit disturbed by the first chapter. Indeed, it is identical to the last of Volume 5 and I wondered for a moment if it was an error from the publisher. But no, the novel takes us back in history and we do make a small leap back in time. So we are back during the funeral wake of Jade Lee and we are launching in a new investigation to find the killer of Charlotte Rae.

I admit that I was fascinated by the story, trying to understand what had happened to the sister of our heroine. That’s sad to see how her family is devastated and to understand that solving this murder also means the complete disappearance of Charlotte. We had seen her a lot in the last novels but it is true that it was interesting to have a volume centered on her, getting to know her a little more and to see that despite the discord she and Emma love each other. It was also funny to see how Emma goes beyond the promises she made to Jack Henry and the hilarious situations in which she finds herself every time.

Yes you can see that I had a great time with this novel, even more than the previous one. This series is always nice, humorous, presenting a mystery that we always take pleasure to follow.
Profile Image for Stacee.
2,670 reviews701 followers
February 7, 2017

I had liked the previous book in this series and after the ending and set up for this book, I was eager to start it. Sadly it fell flat for me.

I do like Emma. She's smart and curious and I enjoy how she never listens to what she's told. Sure, sometimes that particular plot device gets old, but it's mostly amusing. This time around, the townspeople were a little closer to the annoying side.

The main plot arc was intriguing and not what I was expecting. And yet, I was more interested in just getting to the end more than finding out who it was. I can definitely see how people with enjoy these books, but for me it's missing something. I doubt I'll be reading any others from the series.

**Huge thanks to Witness and Edelweiss for providing the arc free of charge**
Profile Image for Sherry Fundin.
1,723 reviews115 followers
March 17, 2017
With the tease at the end of A Ghostly Reunion, I knew I had to have me some more of Emma and her granny in this riproaring Ghost Whispering kind of haunting murder mystery.

A plastic Santa had fallen on Emma’s head and now she sees dead people. It’s fitting that she lives and runs a funeral home.

This Ghost Whispering sleuth lives in a small town where everyone knows your business and some considered the creepy funeral girl a bit wacky, talking to herself…or at least that’s what they think as she talks to ghosts that no one else can see.

Jack Henry is her hot cop sweetie and he jumpstarts her day with a happy feeling.

Emma’s seventy seven year old granny rides a moped. I can see her tooling around town in all her glory.

Marla and her pet hen.

Mable always has a coin for passing children.

Her new client? The only reason I saw it coming was the tease in Ghostly Reunion and I love it. I could see the ghost…whispering in her ear, laughing, talking, telling Emma to “get on with it.”

Humor, murder, mystery, family situations that made me want to laugh out loud.

Warning! Be careful where you read this. You too may be considered nuts for laughing out loud in public.

A Ghostly Mortality contains a ton of mystery, laughs and love…the total package for a cozy mystery.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of A Ghostly Mortality by Tonya Kappes.

To see more visit fundinmental
Profile Image for Sophia.
Author 5 books325 followers
April 30, 2020
So, that big stunner at the end of book five left me so curious. How was Emma Lee going to handle this one? This light, often giggle-worthy paranormal cozy mystery series just stepped out into deep waters and I was in anticipation for how it would go. Well, it wasn't exactly a slam dunk, but it was a deeply emotional listen in some ways.

A Ghostly Mortality is book six in the Ghostly Southern Mysteries. Most of the stories could be read or listened to as standalone though I do think they are best read in order. This one, however, is tied too tightly to the book that went before it and is more a continuation of a side plot in that one.

Emma Lee is wrapping up her previous Betweener client case and handling two funerals while going distracted that her infuriating stuck-up sister, Charlotte Rae, who took off to work at a rival funeral home, won't sign the papers to end her association with the family funeral home. Emma Lee gets excited when Charlotte shows up thinking she's there to give her the papers. But, Charlotte Rae is beyond the ability to sign papers and needs Emma's help in her ghostly side of the business.

Emma uncovers a surprising scandalous side to her sister's life and a confusing path of evidence that she needs Jack Henry's help to untangle. But, along with her Betweener work, Emma Lee must come to terms with Charlotte Rae's passing and the two sisters must come to terms with each other after the way things got so acrimonious in the end.

So, this series has been a bit of a roller coaster experience for me. I have a good time with parts and end up shaking my head at other parts. A Ghostly Mortality is one I feel badly for not loving more. I was deeply touched by Charlotte Rae's death for Emma Lee's sake and I was really moved by the lesson that both sisters learned through this time together solving Charlotte's murder. They really got to know each other and come to a better understanding than they ever did when Charlotte was alive.
But, that said, I just never settled into this one. In the beginning, it was a prologue and four chapters of rehashing, sometimes verbatim, the events of the last half of the previous book. Then, Emma Lee pulls a pair of my pet peeves- dishonesty and unkindness with Jack Henry- all to stubbornly be the one to poke and nose about for evidence. Neither was provoked or necessary. It isn't a large part of the story, but when she does this stuff it always leaves a sour taste in my mouth that other poignant or funny moments- and there are many of these- did eventually brush me past this.

The mystery had me pretty much stumped. I had no idea. There were some obvious suspects and motives, but it kept checking out. Yeah, didn't see that coming. And, oh... new twist on Emma Lee's betweener talent shows up there in the end.

Tiffany Morgan was a delightful narrator who is the voice of the series for me. She has all these characters down solid. I like the way she narrates from Emma Lee's perspective and she has a comedic timing that makes me chuckle. This book showed me she can dig deep and deliver the sadness of loss so well. I teared up.

So, mixed bag, but I was glad to have listened in. It's an entertaining series as a whole and a paranormal cozy mystery series that I can recommend to readers/listeners who appreciate that melding of genres.

My thanks to Tantor Audio for the opportunity to listen to this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Shelley.
5,102 reviews458 followers
April 28, 2020
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Cozy / Mystery
*Rating* 3.5

*Thoughts*

A Ghostly Mortality is the 6th installment in author Tonya Kappes Ghostly Southern Mysteries series. Emma Lee Raines is proprietor of a small-town (Sleepy Hollow) Kentucky funeral home called Eternal Slumber. She's also a “Betweener.” Emma helps those who were murdered and are looking for a resolution before moving onward. After Emma Lee solves who murdered them, only then can they cross over to the Great Beyond, Big Guy In The Sky.

*Full Review @ Gizmos Reviews*

Profile Image for Elisa.
3,065 reviews34 followers
March 2, 2017
I really wondered how Emma Lee would go losing her sister, even if they hadn't been the best of friends they were sisters.
I loved the mystery didn't pick the end which I loved.
Charlotte moving on brought me to tears it was movingly written and Emma Lee surprised me more than once in this book by being more grown up.
Profile Image for Paula Ratcliffe.
1,310 reviews71 followers
February 23, 2017
This book picks up where the last book ended where Granny and Emma Lee are trying to get Charlotte Rae to sign over her part of the business to Emma so that she isn't part of the family funeral home business but for some reason Charlotte won't sign the papers much to Emma's dismay. Charlotte has moved on and part of funeral home/ any type of celebration you can think of. Which shocks both Emma Lee and Granny.

Emma Lee is determined to find out what happened when her sister shows up before her and learns alot from Emma about the 'funeral trauma' and what it really is and how she can help Charlotte find out what happened to her. Emma never had to deal with a death so close to home, but as crazy as her antics are she finds the clues and puts the pieces together.

This book was so great and sad at times there were times I wanted to reach into the book and tell Emma it would be ok. It was a great mystery and adventure to go on. I am so amazed by Mrs. Kappes ability to weave a story especially this one where so many people become unhindged over the death of Charlotte Rae. Can't wait to see what Mrs. Kappes comes up with next!
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Elizabeth Mathis.
469 reviews53 followers
March 1, 2017
That ghost sure looks . . . familiar.

But Emma Lee’s own sister refuses to believe in her special ability. In fact, the Raines sisters have barely gotten along since Charlotte Rae left the family business for the competition. After a doozy of an argument, Emma Lee is relieved to see Charlotte Rae back home to make nice. Until she realizes her usually snorting, sarcastic, family-ditching sister is a . . . ghost.

Rating: 3.5/5 Penguins
Quick Reasons: I was a tiny bit confused about some plot things; entertaining, snarky, head-strong character; love the setting and dialect; love that a loose end played on throughout is used as a mini introduction to the next book; I might just have to pick up the rest of this series!

Huge thanks to Tonya Kappes, Witness Publishing, Partners in Crime Tours, and Edelweiss for sending me a free digital copy of this title in exchange for an honest review! This in no way altered my read of or opinions on this book.

First things first: I went into this book KNOWING I hadn't read any of the previous books in the series. I knew, going in, that this might potentially lead to some confusion about the world and/or characters. I warned myself the confusion might, at times, be more than anticipated. So I wasn't blind or oblivious to the fact that there might, reading this, be problems waiting for me. This being said... I was pleasantly surprised when I managed to get through most of this read without a hitch! While some past events went unexplained or were left up to me to figure out for myself (the relationship between Emma Lee and Jack Henry, for instance)--I was able to piece them together fairly easily, and remain convinced of the world and characters. Of course, there was still a little bit of confusion about certain things...but in the end, I was able to dive into this story and remain curious and enthralled throughout. This basically boils down to this for potential readers: while I still recommend starting at the beginning (because I'm usually that type of reader) you could pretty easily slip into the story later on if you want or need to.

"Flare up?" I sighed with exasperation. "It's not like arthritis."

The "Funeral Trauma."

It was true. I was diagnosed with the "Funeral Trauma" after a decorative plastic Santa fell off the roof of Artie's Meat and Deli, knocking me flat out cold and now I could see dead people.

The characters are realistic and entertaining. Emma Lee was a snarky and head-strong character throughout the read; not once did she allow anyone to talk down to her, or sway her mind once she'd set it, or tell her what to do. I really loved following her on her ventures to find her sister's killer--while it's clear from the get-go that she's not a professional detective or cop, she made the journey quick and fun. The moments with her sister were mixed parts aggravating, endearing, and totally believable; the moments with Granny, who's a spitfire all her own, were both hilarious and heart-wrenching.

I had such a fun time following the clues in this murder-mystery, I'm considering picking up the rest of the series (and starting from the beginning this time)! This was an entertaining, snarky, believable read with some wild and head-strong characters. I recommend this to lovers of cozy mysteries, sleuthy characters, and small towns with big hearts. Follow the clues, penguins, and see if you can figure out who the killer is before the big reveal! I promise you'll be just as surprised as I was!
Profile Image for Emmalynn.
843 reviews12 followers
July 2, 2022
This one was a 3.7 stars down from 4 stars because of the continued dumb and incredible dangerous situations the MC continues to put herself in even knowing what’s at stake. Trying to solve her sister’s murder, instead of letting the professionals handle the case, she rushes headlong into danger, determined that only SHE can avenge her sister and in the process is almost murdered herself.

On the plus side, the book does resolve the relationship between Emma and Charlotte before Charlotte crosses over, gives a hint on the progression of Emma’s romantic relationship, and hopefully, she’ll mature in the next book.
Profile Image for Valerie.
458 reviews2 followers
July 9, 2017
One of her better editions. This book gives more insight to the characters ands its theme has a bit more meat to it than the general cozy. By exploring her sisters death, Emma Lee is also starting to explore her 'gift', herself, and her relationships with others. Those who have not read any others in the series can begin here as the author does a good job of relating what has transpired before so that you are not lost... however, she does not reveal too much in case you wish to read the others after. A good solid edition to the series.
Profile Image for Sarah  Woodhouse.
220 reviews5 followers
April 5, 2022
This is my first book in this series. Tonya Kappes is a wonderful writer. This story was heartfelt and funny.

Emma is such a great character, even with her 'funeral trauma.' It certainly added a sense of fun with everyone thinking she was crazier than a bedbug.

I absolutely adore her Grandma Zula. What a great lady! Completely fearsome but also so sweet.

Emma's boyfriend Jack sounds like a hunk.

I really enjoyed this book a lot. I absolutely recommend it. I can't wait to read more.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
280 reviews1 follower
July 27, 2017
I liked this one. I liked the banter between the sisters and the story moved quickly. The mystery was a good ending as it wasn't a common result.
Profile Image for Lisa.
458 reviews
February 3, 2022
Tonya Kappes has done it again!! Love her books! So much fun and can't put it down!
Profile Image for Barbara Hackel.
2,032 reviews22 followers
March 12, 2017
Emma Lee Raines is funeral home owner and director, but has a hidden talent. She has Funeral Trauma according to Doc and her family, but Emma Lee and boyfriend Jack Henry know better. No Funeral Trauma, but she is a Betweener-that is a person who sees and talks to murdered ghosts who can't rest. She helps them by solving their murder so they can pass on. Only it is a little awkward sometimes when the ghost is talking and demanding answers while others are around. So word has gotten out that she is a little crazy and has Funeral Trauma. Emma Lee didn't ask for this job, but she does it the best she can without complaining. Unfortunately this time the client who needs the Betweener is her very own sister Charlotte Rae.

It is a difficult job to do when it is your sister, even if she wasn't your favorite person. Emma Lee realizes when she solves the murder she will never see her sister again. Until that time, she and Charlotte have one more chance to mend fences and express their love for each other, all while Emma is discovering her sister's affair with a married man and other less than stellar facts about her sister.

This book is much more emotional than the others. It is also a very good mystery told with a dash of humor that it Emma Lee and Granny's style. Yes it is sad, but a twist at the very end makes you realize there is always hope. What a good book! I can hardly wait for another in the series!
Profile Image for Karen.
648 reviews2 followers
March 19, 2017
I was not prepared for what an emotional journey this book was. The whodunit in my opinion was only part of the equation, the victim and the aftermath was the focus for me. Well written as always.
Profile Image for Kristin Whitehouse.
1,408 reviews27 followers
March 15, 2017
I like this series enough to keep reading it but I wish it was a little more relaxed. All the characters sound so stiff and proper when they talk that it takes me out of the story. They live in Kentucky, where's the accent?
Profile Image for Aleen.
454 reviews40 followers
February 11, 2017
Originally posted on lampshadereader.com

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy (via edelweiss & publisher) of this book.

“Funeral Trauma.” Emma Lee still has it and it’s not going any time soon. A Ghostly Mortality by Tonya Kappes brings back the zany occupants of Sleepy Hollow for this installment and it just keeps getting better. With the added bonus of a ghostly kitty, Emma Lee finds herself at a loss because of her new “In betweener” client.

Emma’s “Funeral Trauma” is still talk of town. Townsfolk think she’s crazy, including her grandmother (who in my opinion is also cray cray) and her sister, Charlotte. Personally, I did not like Charlotte, she was a biotch, treating her sister like crap all the time. But there was something happening in Charlotte’s life that was clued in to the reader, but we did not find out until later. I did feel sorry for her and especially for Emma, who would have a hard time doing her job this time around.

“Ghost Charlotte is much nicer than living Charlotte.”

Too bad it was too late for the sisterly bond, but I guess they did get some in at the end. The elements of humor were still there and I especially loved the cat that makes an appearance. There is another story there and the ending sets the next story up, as it does in the previous books. I wouldn’t say it’s a cliffhanger, since the main plot is resolved, just think of it as a preview into the next story.

Her relationship with her boyfriend Sheriff Jack Henry pretty much is still the same. There isn’t that much drama on that front. It’s a sweet romance and we catch glimpses of how sexy Jack Henry can be. He’s basically the support character. He knows about her “In betweener” clients and doesn’t think she’s crazy.

Overall, I thought the build up to the climax of the story was good. Emma’s mystery solving leads to some wrong conclusions until she finds her self in danger and of course has that “Oh, now it makes sense” type of deal. I would totally recommend this series to anyone who likes small town shenanigans and funny heroines.

A little note...

-No cliffhangers per se’ just a preview to the next book.
-I would suggest reading these in order.
Profile Image for iamnotabookworm.
402 reviews16 followers
June 1, 2017
I had been out of circulation for more than a week. No reviews or any bookstagram posts. This review was supposed to be due March 10th but I was unable to because I was sick and my laptop went berserk. Good thing, the blog tour is still until March 30th so this review will still make it. Again, I apologize to Tonya Kappes and PICT for not being able to post on my promised date.

Book 5 --A Ghostly Reunion, ended with a cliffhanger and a capital OMG. I was glad I also signed up for the blog tour for this book. I just couldn't wait to know what happens next and what ghostly and deadly adventures await our heroine Emma Lee.

Did I say OMG? OMG! This is definitely the best so far of all the Tonya Kappes books, though this was only my second. A lot of things are going on in this story but it was not at all confusing or hard to follow. The elements all worked together to make the story more engaging and suspenseful. There was no way I was able to predict what is going to happen next and who was responsible for the murder. It was so surprising and exhilarating to find that the story resolved and ended without any of my theories being right. I was happy and I enjoyed the surprise with a big "Oh" when revelation time came.

What can't be missed in this story is the usual funny and witty banter between Emma Lee and the current in-betweener. This is one of the things I liked in the series. The comedic conversations were hard to pass up. They add character and color to the story and the whole series. I could say, this is one of the characteristics that separates Emma Lee from all the other heroines, aside from her very unusual talent for seeing and conversing with the dead.

I give this 5/5 cute white cats. True to Tonya Kappes fashion, there was a preview of what the next installment would be about. It hinted of Emma Lee's talent evolving and getting more intense. Apart from the unyielding suspense throughout, the story also took on an emotional route. It perfectly captured the emotions of losing a loved one unexpectedly and tragically. In here, it was so raw because it was Emma Lee herself who get to experience those heartbreaking and painful emotions. It hit so close to home for our heroine. I felt her dilemma between grieving and at the same time keeping it in because she has to find the cause and who caused the deed. When all was done, there was also that mixed feeling of relief that finally she has solved the murder and the restless soul would now be at peace, at the same time not wanting to let the ghost go. For the unending pain of longing and missing for that loved one to finally descend and take a place in her heart because she will never get to see that loved one again. I just can't help but get teary-eyed as well. This was very nicely done and Tonya Kappes has a good chance of making it into my favorite authors' list if this book were any basis. Bravo! I just need to read about two more books to really decide.

I guess death is just like the seasons. Winter kills things and spring brings life.
- Tonya Kappes, Ghostly Mortality -

Thank you again, Tonya Kappes and PICT for the review copy.
Profile Image for Crystal P.
480 reviews7 followers
February 1, 2022
I have to share that I have downright detested Charlotte Rae through most of the series. When she shows up in need of Emma Lee’s Betweener services I was quite shocked and very intrigued to see how all would play out. It was well done and the mystery of Charlotte Rae’s murder was a crazy one!!
Profile Image for Teresa Kander.
Author 1 book176 followers
February 28, 2017
I LOVE this series, and this book only serves to illustrate why. Emma Lee's work as a "Betweener" gets intensely personal this time around, as the ghost she needs to help cross over after a murder is her only sister, Charlotte Rae.

It's sad that the sisterly relationship seems to improve after Charlotte Rae dies...they both seem to understand each other better as they work to solve the murder mystery. I feel sad for both of them that they won't be able to make use of what they learned and have a better sibling relationship.

Granny's emotional reactions to the loss of her granddaughter are heartbreaking. The whole book, honestly, is a very emotional story for me in so many ways.

The murder mystery is very well developed, and even though I wasn't entirely surprised by the identity of the murderer, I couldn't stop reading.
Profile Image for Christine.
Author 2 books32 followers
February 9, 2017
A Ghostly Mortality by Tonya Kappes is the sixth book in the Ghostly Southern Mysteries.

Emma Lee Raines was just the town's "funeral girl" until a plastic Santa knocked her out; now she suffers the "Funeral Trauma". But really, she is a Betweener; someone who can see ghosts. Specifically, ghosts who've been murdered. Emma Lee's job is to find the murderer so her "clients" can cross-over. Only, this time, her client is her very own sister.

This story is emotional, funny, and suspenseful, and I hope there is more to this series.
Profile Image for Ann.
5,068 reviews59 followers
January 21, 2017
I like reading this series. Emma Lee and Granny are fun to be around. Emma Lee is a betweener who helps ghosts cross over once their murder has been solved. Since her sister Charlotte goes to work at a rival funeral home Emma Lee is in charge of the family's mortuary. When Charlotte shows up as a ghost asking for help it's a shock. This is the 6th book in this humorous cozy series. It's great re visiting this small southern town with a wide variety of characters. It's hard to imagine the funeral business can be so funny and intriguing.
Profile Image for Deana Dick.
2,406 reviews59 followers
March 2, 2017
It's another big hit for this very talented author as A Ghostly Mortality brings us laughs, heartwarming moments and a mystery that is sure to intrigue you. I love the authors quirky southern sayings throughout the book. It is fun to read a book that has great characters that come to life. The story is a look at the mortuary business and the shenanigans that take place there.

Emma is a great character that has her hands full keeping up with her grandmother and sassy sister. It seems that the two sisters are in a bit of a disagreement since they work for different mortuaries. Why would Charlotte go work for the other company when her family owns their own funeral business? It certainly doesn't set well with Emma . I loved the bickering between the two sisters. The sibling rivalry was well written and I loved how others seem to pick sides at times.

Charlotte is so sure she made the right decision when she took the new job that she loves to try to take business away from Emma. There are some very loud arguments that cause hurt feelings between the two and Emma seems to have had enough of her sister . That all changes when Emma sees her sister and realizes that she is a ghost. Did I mention that Emma helps people cross over? Emma is shocked to realize her sister is dead . I would not want to be able to talk to ghosts or see them. Poor Emma must be beside herself now that her own sister needs her help. Not only is Charlotte dead but someone murdered her .

I loved the back and forth talking between the sisters when it looked like Emma was talking to herself. I must mention the grandmother because she was one mad woman when she found out about Charlotte. She does go a bit crazy wanting answers to her granddaughter 's death. The author does a brilliant job showing how a grandmother is willing to give up anything to catch the killer .

I had my list of suspects in my head but I did not guess who the killer was. In fact I was quite surprised who it was and more importantly why Charlotte was killed. The creativity of the author really shines in this book as the mystery takes a turn I never saw coming. You don't want to miss this outstanding book written by an author who always delivers a story that is intriguing , full of laughs and characters that are unforgettable.

I received a copy of this book from Great Escape Book Tours. The review is my own opinion.
Profile Image for Daniele.
1,030 reviews28 followers
May 9, 2017

A GHOSTLY MORTALITY, the sixth book in the Ghostly Southern Mystery series, is great fun, full of small town Southern charm and a resolution to the mystery that I did not see coming.

Emma Lee, proprietor of Eternal Slumber Funeral Home, has a unique ability. She is a “betweener” who helps murder victims figure out who killed them so that they may cross over to the other side. This time the task hits a little too close to home when Emma Lee’s sister Charlotte Rae appears before her with no memory of how she died. Though her body is found staged to look like a suicide, Emma Lee and Sheriff Jack Henry know this cannot be the case. The relationship between Charlotte Rae, who always doubted her sister’s abilities, and Emma Lee was strained while both were living, and it is interesting to see their relationship change. It is somewhat bittersweet.

Tonya Kappes definitely knows how to draw quirky Southern characters without them coming across as cliché or caricatures. Emma Lee is plucky and likable; although I wish she would not lie to the people she cares about. I know…there would be no story if she did not go against her law enforcement boyfriend’s wishes, but the frequency of her little white lies add up and were noticeable to me. Not having read the other books in the series (which I plan to remedy ASAP), I do not know Granny and Charlotte Rae very well and found Granny to be a little over the top. Charlotte Rae is pretty unlikable, and at times I found it difficult to feel bad about her being dead.

My only quibble with the book is that the accuracy in how a certain procedure is done and its timing is totally off. It is distractingly inaccurate. Otherwise, the mystery is well executed with several viable suspects, and the clues are logically revealed.

I greatly enjoyed A GHOSTLY MORTALITY and recommend it to fans of Southern settings and readers who enjoy a paranormal element in their cozy mysteries.

I received a copy of this title from the author and voluntarily shared my opinions here.
Profile Image for Kimberly Ann.
1,658 reviews
February 2, 2018

The sixth in the series: I like the characters, I like the humor, I like the ghosts, & I like the stories....

Emma Lee & her sister Charlotte have taken over the family's undertaker & funeral parlor business.... Charlotte on the business side & Emma Lee on the undertaker side, but at this point Charlotte had decamped and is now working for a "Legacy" Funeral Parlor in Lexington

When Emma Lee is hit on the head by a falling plastic Santa Clause and she begins seeing the ghosts of people her family has buried... unfortunately all those she sees have been murdered and it is up to her to help solver their murders so that they may cross over.

Charlotte & Emma Lee have unfinished business, when Charlotte left the family Funeral Parlor business she purposely neglected to sign the papers of release. Charlotte is wanting the sideboard that has been in the family for years as well as wanting her granny as her own client.

When Emma Lee & Granny go to confront Charlotte about the unsigned papers they find that things are not going too well for Charlotte, and Granny senses that Charlotte is unhappy in her new job & may want to come back to the family business.

During Jade Lee's funeral Charlotte shows up calmly sitting next to the sideboard, which angers Emma Lee, who begins complaining to Granny... Granny, however, does not see Charlotte, which only means one thing; Charlotte is dead by murder and it is up to Emma Lee to find out who killed her sister and why.

A light, fun, & entertaining read
Profile Image for Jae.
516 reviews
April 18, 2019
Emma Lee and her sister, Charlotte Rae, have been at odds ever since Charlotte up and left the family business, Eternal Slumber, to take a job at a larger, shinier funeral home in Lexington, KY. All that is put aside, however, when Charlotte appears to Emma Lee...as a ghost. Although devastated to learn her sister has been murdered, Emma Lee is determined to find the culprit and get justice for Charlotte, even though that means she'll never be able to see nor speak to her sister again.

Their granny, Zula Fae, is so torn up by Charlotte's death that she's offering a million dollar reward for information leading to the killer. That draws the crazies to town, and it's all Emma's boyfriend, Sheriff Jack Henry, can handle. Someone else is taking advantage of the tragedy in an attempt to steal customers from Eternal Slumber, and now Emma Lee has a ghost cat following her around, as well. She won't let anything stop her, however, not when her latest case is so close to home.

Well now. This story was as wonderful as all the others--cute and light and funny--but I was put off by the fact that the author killed off someone so close to Emma Lee. It made for an underlying layer of sadness throughout the story.

Despite my pique that the author killed off a main character, this was a fabulous book.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 114 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.