Start by marking “You Are Here: An Owner's Manual for Dangerous Minds” as Want to Read:
You Are Here: An Owner's Manual for Dangerous Minds

You Are Here: An Owner's Manual for Dangerous Minds

A new book from #1 New York Times bestselling author Jenny Lawson, destined to be a classic—part therapy, part best friend, part humor, part coloring book.

Published March 7th 2017 by Flatiron Books

To ask other readers questions about You Are Here, please sign up.
Lix Hewett Have you read this? I get it if you still want an audio version but there's not a whole lot of words in it. It's very much a coloring book. Unless she…moreHave you read this? I get it if you still want an audio version but there's not a whole lot of words in it. It's very much a coloring book. Unless she described every drawing (which, not gonna lie, would probably be hilarious), the audio would be ten minutes long tops.(less)

karen
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes people come into your life just to teach you how not to become them.

only jenny lawson could pull off a book like this.

if someone had said to me, “here, why don’t you read this coloring book that is full of affirmations about the importance of embracing your damage and finding inner strength and realizing you are not alone in the world, which features snippets of empowering phrases woven throughout the line drawings and opportunities to share personal experiences to better understand yo
Amy (Other Amy)
This book is dedicated to my chronic anxiety.

You are literally always there for me, and you accidentally forced me to make this book to help save me from you. You deserve a vacation.

No, really. Go. We're fine here.

And more importantly, it's dedicated to the people on the Internet who sit with me (in spirit) while I hide away from the world. You have the key to my pillow fort. Always.

I recently told a friend that I have been struggling with depression for two years. (I mean, I've always had depre
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I preordered You Are Here. I am a fan of Jenny Lawson, her candidness about her own mental health challenges and her sense of humor. I started with her book Furiously Happy with the glittery cover complete with a smiling raccoon! I also have followed her a blog a little, and her first book is on my shelf as well. I have dabbled in adult coloring, but more coloring equaled less reading...Well, this book combines both. Filled with affirmations and beautiful illustrations, this is one engaging colo ...more
Monica
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really great! Combination of humor, coloring, sarcasm, and inspiration. This book definitely would not be for everyone due to language, but it made me laugh!

An adult coloring book at its finest! :)
Erica
EDITED TO INCLUDE ANOTHER FUN STORY!
Nov. 2017: EDITED AGAIN TO INCLUDE AN UPDATE! SCROLL DOWN, DOWN, DOWN TO THE END OF THIS LONG REVIEW!

I have SO MANY cool stories surrounding this book.
I've bought 6 copies and still don't own one. I haven't even read it yet.
However, the joy this thing has brought me since the pre-order date went live is worth those 5 stars and then some.
Most of the stories are only cool to me but two of them are cool beyond my borders!

STORY 1:
One lunchtime, I was scrolling thr
jv poore
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yet another book that is spectacular to have on hand when I need a lift.
Kathy Heare Watts
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FINAL UPDATE: As promised from the publisher, I received a complete book and the final copy is impressive. I had received a sample book that was about 8 pages. The complete, finished and published copy is 150 pages. It is available for pre-order at Amazon and will release on March 7, 2017.

Now, what I have read and the artwork has had me laughing, and yes, there was some inspiration and humor in those lines. It is sometimes raw, edgy, emotional, a chance to express feelings, and the artwork is im
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
This book is like a really funny, compassionate friend who comes over to your house to cheer you up. Filled with advice and reassurance, not to mention lovely drawings to color, it's sure to be of help when your world goes pear shaped.
Theresa
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir-biography
I. Adore. Jenny Lawson. That is all.
Beth Cato
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, medical, 2019
This was the perfect first book for the New Year, and one of the more useful mental health books I've ever read. Jenny Lawson, aka The Bloggess, is upfront about her struggles against her own mind and the blessings and curses along the way. I can relate. What I appreciate about this is that it feels like anecdotes and conversation with a friend who gets it--this isn't some preachy doctor telling you think this or do this and you'll be "normal." Nope. What the heck is normal, anyway?

The books fe
AK Mama Reads
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG I Won a copy, I'm so excited!!!

Update: the review copy is in the works, so, yay! and thank you Flatiron!
Nicholle
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesomely perfect. I kept thinking, "This is the exact right time in my life to read this book," but the beauty of it is, I have a feeling that when I re-read and re-re-read and re-re-re-read it, I'll think the same thing. I want to buy at least 3 more to give as gifts.
***
2017 Popsugar Challenge - Book you've read before and makes you smile (okay, I haven't read it before, but let's just look into the future a bit.)
Bethany
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a quick read, which makes sense since it's half colouring book and have inspirational quotes! Very good though! I love the illustrations, which are beautifully drawn and have quotes running through them! The pages are perforated for easy tearing an colouring! Also arranged in such a way that there is a quote on the back of the art, so if the ink bleeds through when you are colouring you won't care.

Some favourite quotes from the book:

Sometimes people come into your life just to teach yo
Autumn Kovach
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-inspiration
What a brilliant compilation of inspiring quotes, witty stories and the invitation to create by coloring in the beautiful designs scattered throughout this book. Jenny keeps it real yet hilarious. She has such good words for people at any stage of their life journey whether it's in dealing with mental heath struggles, being creative or just getting through the day. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book;

"Surviving the darkest moments will make you stronger in will, character, empathy,
Emily
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I also read it at the perfect time. My copy was from the library and other readers had written and colored in it. It made the book that much better. I'll be buying my own copy but I definitely recommend checking out your library copy and writing something for others to see.
Jessica
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I am going to need to remember to pull this book out when the hard days seem to be winning. 💓
Victoria
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book is now one of my favourite things.
Nikki
All I can say, Jenny, is... NAILED IT!

Raw, edgy, and stupidly funny, as one expects. Also, the pages tear out, so do with that what you will ....*wink wink*

Michelle
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is perfect and wonderful and already my favorite coloring book ever and the only one I am leaving on the shelf by my chair which holds the books that hold me together on bad days.
Jamie Dacyczyn
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a tough one to rate.....Compared to Jenny Lawson's other books, it's definitely lacking in humor and substance. It's essentially a coloring book with inspirational passages and quips. No humorous anecdotes or essays like those that made me love Lawson. I read through it in half an hour.

But...when rated as a coloring book, it's very whimsical and fun. So, my rating is for it as a coloring book, not as compared to her other books.

That said, I don't know if I can ever color in this. The tho
Noëlle McHenry
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is beautiful. I don't think I've ever read anything that has hit so close to home or made me so emotional. The words inside are ones I didn't know I needed to hear (or read, I suppose), and the illustrations are ones I didn't know I needed to see. From now on, whenever I feel depressed or worthless, I know what book I'll be using as my anchor. I will look at this book and be reminded that I am still here.
Stephanie (aka WW)
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is poetry for the broken mind. Not traditional poetry (which is ick), but beautiful, lyrical words that say what those struggling with mental health issues most need to hear. Jenny is that friend we all need, who provides wisdom and hope, while at the same time, making us pee our pants with laughter. We all need that laugh.

“I always thought I’d like to be a dandelion – those vivid yellow flowers that bloom in the cracks of sidewalks or abandoned lots. Anything that thrives in such stra
Lisa
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've had this since it came out and only read it today. In addition to Jenny's amazing doodle drawings, she graces us with her infamous sense of humor and deep thoughts. The words are poetic and inspirational, and serve as reminders that we're not alone. Most of the drawings are too intricate for me to color, though if you look up #youarehere, you can see what others have done and feel inadequate. But as Jenny says, there's no right or wrong way to use this book; it's up to you.
Dia Kapoor
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
When Jenny Lawson is anxious, one of the things she does is to draw. Elaborate doodles, beautiful illustrations, often with captions that she posts online. At her signings, fans show up with printouts of these drawings for Jenny to autograph. And inevitably they ask her when will she publish a whole book of them. That moment has arrived.

You Are Here is something only Jenny could create. A combination of inspiration, therapy, coloring, humor, and advice, this book is filled with Jenny’s amazingly
Megan Butler
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book as a Christmas gift to myself with an amazon gift card I received.
This book has such cool illustrations and fun quotes and advice. It's really unique and a great book to own especially if you have anxiety. And I believe I only paid around $8 for it, so it's a wonderful deal. It would make a great gift for lots of people as well!
Tamara
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, my-own
This book is so much fun! This is a colouring book but not only, there are also jokes and nice thoughts to remember and small stories and altogether it's pretty and lovely and positive!

The pictures are so pretty and I'm definitely having a lot of fun colouring them in or reading the words around them. If you find normal colouring books a bit boring, this might be something for you!
Allie
my mom got me this book as a graduation present. I'm reading it for the first time the day before I fly back home to college.

it feels like hope.
Jen Petro-Roy
I just love Jenny Lawson.
Nat
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I mean, I will love everything Jenny Lawson does for all of eternity. I bought this book (literally) the moment it was available, but only found time to read and appreciate it while being home sick for the last three days. Thank God for Jenny Lawson. Thank God for coloring. Thank God for all of the necessary misfits like me.
Chelsea Breher
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the style of this book, how Jenny has you interact with the pages in order to understand yourself and your journey more. It is a wonderful hands on journal that tells a story as you go.
  • The Organic Artist: Make Your Own Paint, Paper, Pigments, Prints and More from Nature
  • A Tolkien Treasury
  • Solutions and Other Problems
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #3)
  • Sleep Demons: An Insomniac's Memoir
  • Demon Derby
  • Floating Worlds: The Letters of Edward Gorey & Peter F. Neumeyer
  • Young Frankenstein: The Story of the Making of the Film: A Mel Brooks' Book
  • An Intimate Life: Sex, Love, and My Journey as a Surrogate Partner
  • The Martha Manual: How to Do (Almost) Everything
  • Clutter Busting Your Life: Clearing Physical and Emotional Clutter to Reconnect with Yourself and Others
  • Death: An Oral History
  • Edible Landscaping
  • The Living Landscape: Designing for Beauty and Biodiversity in the Home Garden
  • The Resilient Farm and Homestead: An Innovative Permaculture and Whole Systems Design Approach
  • Inside the Mind of Scott Peterson
  • Notes to Boys (And Other Things I Shouldn't Share in Public)
  • It's Good to Be the King: The Seriously Funny Life of Mel Brooks
Known for her sardonic wit and her hysterically skewed outlook on life, Jenny Lawson has made millions of people question their own sanity, as they found themselves admitting that they, too, often wondered why Jesus wasn't classified as a zombie, or laughed to the point of bladder failure when she accidentally forgot that she mailed herself a cobra. Her blog (www.thebloggess.com) is award-winning ...more
“If I cannot see the moon, I'll make my own.” 5 likes