Start by marking “Noble Beginnings (Jack Noble #1)” as Want to Read:
Noble Beginnings (Jack Noble #1)

Noble Beginnings

(Jack Noble #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  7,930 Ratings  ·  557 Reviews
ACE for ASIN: B009K8RHNQ

In March of 2002, while the eyes of the world focused on Afghanistan, Jack Noble finds himself on the outskirts of Baghdad, Iraq. A Marine in name only, Jack is on-loan to the CIA. Normally an integral part of the team, he finds that he is nothing more than a security detail in Iraq.

Jack and his partner Bear have a run-in with four CIA special agent
Published December 21st 2013 (first published September 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Noble Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Noble Beginnings

Dianne
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Everyone loves “that” hero willing to go above and beyond, knowing they are so deep into black ops that every mission could be their last. They go the extra mile for training, specializing and require the intensity of a brain surgeon in order to survive.

Jack Noble is one of those soldiers, doing what few can do. Betrayal by his own government, as well as the soldiers he was on a mission with make Jack and one member of his team targets, pawns, and the fall guys for a mission horribly and inhuman
Mike French
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp,out are going to love Jack Noble! Non-stop action from the beginning till the end. FREE on Kindle.
Melodie
I love legal/political thrillers, so I was looking forward to this one. The story line involving an intelligence operation in Iraq grabbed me right away, the action was non stop. Like most political thrillers, the plot line was a like a ball of tangled Christmas lights. Attention and patience in equal measure are usually rewarded.
As the story line played out the character became less and less believable to me. And the ending while obviously a tease for the next book in the series, left me cold.
liirogue
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced and entertaining, but I don't know that I would recommend it. The writing wasn't great but the quick movement of events mostly distracted me from that. The main character is a male Mary Sue and seems to do nothing but constantly get in fights or other kinds of trouble (he can't even visit a grocery store without delivering a beat-down to somebody). He regularly takes a beating but always wins and is never sore afterwards. Sometimes his actions are not in line with the image the author ...more
Stephanie
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Poorly written and rather boring. It is a quick read, but I was pretty disappointed in the lack of character development and the simple plot. It was pretty clear about five pages into the story what was going to happen.

The main character, Jack Noble, is very likable which is what saved the book for me. His best friend, Bear, is also easy to like. As for the rest of the characters they are pretty boring and standard for this type of political thriller.

I won't be reading the rest of the series, an
Kathy
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I think I prefer to believe that this type of treatment does not happen. Think heads being bashed, bodies kicked in, guns held to heads...and that's just by way of greeting.

A couple of Marines attached to CIA goonier than usual goons in Iraq somehow escape from CIA brutality with their lives to continue into the next book, I suppose. It was a decided contrast for me after spending time in the drawing rooms of 1700's.

Kindle Unlimited
Ed
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining fast paced thriller about two Marine Corps boots recruited out of basic training at Parris Island to participate in joint Marine Corps/CIA Special Operations Unit during the Iraq war. Refusing to participate in an unsanctioned murder of an Iraqi family, Jack Noble and his sidekick Bear, are arrested and returned to the brig at Camp LeJuenne, NC by rogue CIA agents intent on framing the two Marines for the murder. They get released but are hunted by parties unknown for mysteriou ...more
Karen
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read-digital
This novel is great as a stand-alone and as something to placate your need for the next installment in the Noble Intentions series. It gives us a look at Jack's past before he became the antihero we all know and love. It also gives us a little more of Jack and Bear, and what could ever be so wrong about that? Nothing at all, in my book. It's another knockout for this author and I'm so glad I stumbled onto his books. I always know that I'm going to enjoy reading what he writes.
Rohit Enghakat
Light and easy read. Nothing to write about much. The story is about a conspiracy involving Marines, CIA, NSA practically the whole bunch of agencies. The climax was a downer. On the whole, the plot required much more depth.
Tulay
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a good start.

This story points to the desire to invade Iraq, long before the 9/11. Secretive forces, higher up in the government. Innocence families being killed in Iraq, tired and confused CIA and Marines. Back in the Washington D.C., more killings just to cover up.
Jim A
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick paced, quick read. If a reader is an action junkie, this is for you. If the reader is looking for a story with some meat to the plot, you might make another choice.
T.W. Barton
Just finished reading the first installment of the Jack Nobel series.

I enjoyed the book and would recommended it to those people who like a strong male character who kicks ass which is an instant draw to me.

While Jack Nobel is no Jack Reacher from the popular series by Lee Child and the recent movie featuring Tom Cruise he has potential. At times I found myself shaking my head asking why he was taking a beating or why he wasn't smart enough to anticipated seemingly obvious situations but in the
Carolyn
The first half of this book seemed one long fist-fight to me, designed to prove that Jack Noble was a tough, testosterone-filled Marine. I got tired of it but I rarely ever quit reading a book that I've started, so kept with it. The last half was where the meat of the plot developed and grew interesting, even suspenseful. You come to have more respect for Jack as he assesses his situation, then takes actions that aren't always so smart or that work to his advantage. Whether through Jack's dialog ...more
Trish R.
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing

So, this was all about Jack Nobel and his friend and partner Bear that were framed for killing several people in Iraq and making their way back to the states to try and figure out who actually set up the murders. While searching more and more people continued to be killed and Jack and Bear were being blamed.

It was a great story of murder in the military and I’m sure I’ll read more of Jack Nobel’s.

There was no sex and the F-bomb was used 1 time, which is totally ridiculous when you’re talking abo
Sally Malkowski
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Noble Beginnings is a "guy" book, I thought, as I prepared to plow through the pages, planning to persevere to the end because it was my husband's turn to pick our read. That thought quickly disappeared by page three as by then. I was hooked. The story line - two Marines involved with the CIA "for the good of all" - was only for openers. So engrossed was I with the tale that I would often go back and reread sections to try and figure out the ending before it was revealed. I signed up for the aut ...more
Angela
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are on a road trip to the UP, so we needed a shorter audio book. However, this book was so engrossing, we finished it after only two days into our trip. In our opinion, the action plot of book one in a long series is better than the Jack Reacher series.
David Highton
The first Jack Noble book (although I understand there are a couple of prequels) and he is a Marine seconded to the CIA in Iraq, leading to being caught up in a murderous conspiracy with the Department of Defense, with the ending setting up the later books
Chris
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sale-buy, kindle
This was okay, but not at all great. It moved along relatively well, there was some fun action and brawny dudes, even some pretty funny lines. But in the end, the writing was average. Written in first person, there were too many "I" statements in a row. There were also too many unnecessary little details. And the plot was sort of vague but also confusing—kind of an interesting paradox. It's short though, and the author obviously loves writing (there are a number of Noble books), so why not. I pr ...more
Dee
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say that has not been said before! I loved the book from page one on, I was hooked and was not sorry. This book has it all mystery, thrill, romance (a little) and lots of intense action. The characters are real and you can feel it. The action and story line being intense and the feel of real is so thick you can reach out and touch it. The author has a new follower, I will be reading everything he has and waiting for more. I highly recommend this book.
Clifton
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read, that drew you in. Who is setting up Jack Noble, and his partner, Bear? What is the reason to throw this duo under the bus, for a crime they didn't commit? I found myself, as I reached the end of a chapter, yearning to find out what happened next. I thoroughly enjoyed every page. Looking forward to the next book.
Larry Darter
This is a review of Noble Beginnings: A Jack Noble Thriller (Jack Noble #1) by L. T. Ryan. This was the first book by this author that I’ve read. I read the Kindle edition which was available free from Amazon at the time I obtained it.

The storyline centers on two young Marines, lead character Jack Noble and his fellow Marine and friend Riley “Bear” Logan, who were selected during basic training for attachment to CIA special ops teams in Iraq during American military involvement there.

Reminiscent
Joyce
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non-stop action. Jack Noble joined the Marines and was transferred to a special CIA unit before completing basic. Seven years later he and his partner, Bear, are in Iraq when the CIA unit to which he was attached abused a native family who were ultimately found dead. Noble and Bear are accused of the murders. They are transferred back to the US and begin to search for the real killers. Going further into the plot would reveal spoilers, however it serves as a great introduction to a new character ...more
ChandruPersonal
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review of Noble Beginnings

:-) A very nice plot 😊by Ryan that made me feel so emotional at the end!!😓it's a great War story and neatly presented 😊by Ryan.not like other war stories where we take it so slow Ryan made a good job of taking it in fast pace to keep the readers much enaged✌👏Thanks to the author for such a great "noble" one...
Geoff. Lamb
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just like Jack Reacher and Mitch Rapp? Hmmm, sort of. That said, I enjoyed Beginnings very much. Reasonably tight plot. Strong payoff. Jack and Bear are an almost irresistible team. In fact, my preference going forward is for Bear as the central character. All in all, recommended, especially if you enjoy Reach and Rapp and John Rain and Noah Wolfe.
Cameron
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great super fast paced book that keeps you wanting more. I listen to it on audible and fished it in one day. I wish it had a little more mystery or suspense but it had enough to keep my attention. Reminded me of Jack Reacher or Harry Bosch books.
Linda
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unimaginative thriller with wooden characters. Passable as an airplane book.
Yvonne
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a solid, action read, but parts of the book made little sense.
I felt like I missed something, maybe a prequel?
John R. Goyer
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High octane adventure - a good way to describe this one. Good characters, political intrigue, black ops, current events - it's got it all, and in a captivating and hard to put down way. I very much enjoyed this first volume and plan on continuing the adventures of Jack!
S Dizzy
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While it was entertaining, in my opinion it doesn't compare to Reacher nor Will Robie. Also in audiobook format, the narrator Dennis Holland is horrendous! I never have to listen to this particular narrator again. Too, in my opinion, the writing seemed labored and stiff. The author's turn of phrase didn't create the right tone for the situations thereby causing the action scenes to fall flat and lose their intensity. Perhaps the succeeding stories are better but I have no interest in continuing ...more
René
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Well written and easy to follow. Ryan pulls you into the story so you feel as if you are there.
  • The Seventh Pillar (The Project, #3)
  • Alpha (Black Flagged, #1)
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins, #1)
  • Unauthorized Access
  • Night of the Assassin (Assassin, #0.5)
  • Winner Lose All
  • Irreparable Harm  (Sasha McCandless, #1)
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • Divide & Conquer
  • Nine Lives (Sam Archer, #1)
  • The Blade (The Mafia Trilogy #2)
  • Deadly Coast (Tom Dugan, #2)
  • Back to War (Corps Justice, #1)
  • Parallax View (Tracie Tanner #1)
  • The Amun Chamber
  • PRIMAL Inception (Primal #0.5)

Jack Noble (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Deadly Distance (Jack Noble #2)
  • Thin Line (Jack Noble #3)
  • Noble Intentions (Jack Noble #4)
  • When Dead in Greece (Jack Noble #5)
  • Noble Retribution (Jack Noble #6)
  • Noble Betrayal (Jack Noble #7)
  • Never Go Home (Jack Noble #8)
  • Noble Judgment (Jack Noble #9)
  • Never Cry Mercy (Jack Noble #10)
  • Deadline (Jack Noble #11)
“Isn’t your wife worth it?” His face lit up as he said it, and his eyes grew wide and the corners of his mouth turned upwards in a sadistic grin. I noticed his respirations increased fivefold. The spec ops leader appeared to find the exchange exhilarating.” 1 likes
“What do you suggest we do?” 0 likes