Start by marking “Pearl of Great Price” as Want to Read:
Pearl of Great Price

Pearl of Great Price

4.64  ·  Rating details ·  4,913 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
The Pearl of Great Price contains a selection from revelations, translations and narrations of Joseph Smith, who is the first prophet, seer, and revelator to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The Pearl of great Price chapters include the Book of Moses, the Book of Abraham, Joseph Smith on Matthew and History and the Articles of Faith. This book is a must rea ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Filiquarian Publishing, LLC. (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Pearl of Great Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pearl of Great Price

Jams
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
September 2015---I reread this as part of a Seminary assignment my boys had. It was an amazing experience to hear my teen boys express thoughts and feelings about a book I love so much.

September 2012---Of course I have read bits and pieces of "The Pearl of Great Price" before. But I have never taken the time to read it cover to cover. I am enjoying the process more than I can say. This book is full of beautiful history and instruction.

John
Jan 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: banal-fiction
A pack of lies written by a frontier charlatan named Peepstone Joe. But fascinating because it's a chance to actually study a religious fiction from recent history.
Richard
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you view this as revelation from God, Inspired fiction, or flat out fantesy, it is undoubtedly an amazing collections of writings with various styles, approaches, and doctrines. Viewed for what it is, it's great.
Steve
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I no longer believe this book to be what it claims to be.
Larry
Mar 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
cultic crap
Bri Malan
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good history of Joseph Smith. I love learning about someone's path to God. This is a great book.
Courtney
Sep 15, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Courtney by: The Mormon Church
The Pearl of Great Price is, I think the most interesting and enlightening piece of Mormon Literature that is included in the "Mormon Scriptures". Forget the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine & Covenance. The Pearl of Great Price is where it's at. My favorite part is the Book of Abraham.

This zany book was dictated by Joseph Smith (in the usual fashion -- ie. by nearly esphixiating himself in a top hat full of "seer stones" and thus inducing hallucinations). He wrote this piece when someone cam
Patrik
Aug 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Pearl of Great Price was a quick read. After having just recently finished reading the Book of Mormon I was a bit surprised that it didn't contain much if any of the more interesting of the Mormon doctrine that I think separates Mormonism from Biblical Christianity. So I decided to continue my study of Mormonism by reading more Mormon writings. I decided my next read would be the Pearl of Great Price. And in this selection of writings by Joseph Smith there began to surface some of those more ...more
Randon
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people that wish to be fleeced
Shelves: mormonism
I should really give this book Five Stars as it was amazing in that it proved without a doubt that Joseph Smith was not a real prophet and simply a product of his time. Comparing the Facsimiles in The Book of Abraham to undamaged Egyptian Books of Breathing prove that Smith simply created a story to fit the pictures he saw. No matter how hard Mormon apologists try to explain it as simply symbolic- it clearly is a fraud. The papyrus the Facsimiles were taken from date to A.D. 60 so it is highly s ...more
Amy Sanders
Apr 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Pearl of Great Price?
Please...
The original document was an Egyptian papyri on how they buried their dead. It had nothing to do with the Book of Abraham. A complete embarrassment to the Mormon Church that had believed black people were cursed. Retracted after they found the original Papyri. The fact that they keep the book…well that speaks volumes.
Tiffany
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many great things found here: Extended knowledge of heroes such as Abraham, Moses, Enoch, and Joseph Smith! Revelations about the Creation, Premortal Existence, the Apostasy and Restoration of Christ's church on the earth, the basic tenets of that church, found in The Articles of Faith. I love this book.
Olivia
Another family read. The history behind this book is great. The stories inside are great. Moving on to the Old Testament. Gabe LOVES reading long geneaologies of practically unreadable names aloud, so fun times in family scripture reading are ahead!
Chris Webber
Jul 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Book of Abraham is one of the primary reasons I cannot believe in truth claims of the LDS church. Even Nibley could not resurrect my faith after I studied the historical components of this book. Joseph Smith was simply making it up, it is not founded on fact at all.

So disappointing.
Connie
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love that it ends with The Articles of Faith. It ties all 3 books and the beliefs of our church together so well.
Timothy Boyd
I won't rate this book. I read it to learn about a new area in religion and it did fulfill that purpose.
Kristen
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the Book of Mormon, love all of the scriptures and how grateful I have them in my life. Especially love JST of Matthew & JS History!
Tym
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was raised in a very strongly "faithful" Mormon family and was taught that this was divine scripture all of my life. I eventually figured out I had to find out what I myself believe in and Mormonism isn't for me. So I might have some bias when re-reading this book. There are some pretty awesome sc-fi/fantasy concepts in this particular book that I would love to see used in a novel(s).

The styles are different enough for each section that what Joseph Smith claims about the book (him translating
Brandon Osborn
Oct 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The PoGP has been documented as an utter fraud - originalso of the scroll pieces were found in Chicago and have been reviewed by Egyptologists from Harvard and other places - the Papyri which the "Book of Abraham" was translated from is actually a permit to breathe for Horace - which is a very common death scroll. Joseph Smith had no idea what he was doing, and faked every bit of it.
Mark
Oct 02, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These two books are clearly fraudulent. The Book of Abraham, supposedly translated from an Egyptian papyrus, contains nothing related to the papyrus, which is still extant and has been translated, correctly, a number of times. The Book of Moses is Joseph Smiths attempt to improve upon the first books of the Old Testament, which he claimed he was correcting by direct revelation from God.
Travis
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, religious
A very interesting book with an interesting history. I've found several of the stories very helpful. Not sure if I'll read it every year for the rest of my life, but since it is scriptural canon I'll give it 5 starts just to prevent a Hans-esque controversy. Hahahaha
Mistyblue
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A spiritual up-lifter. I enjoy revisiting the truths contained herein.
Matt Haynes
Having read the previous comments I think they summed it up perfectly. Vastly entertaining, incredibly racist, unimaginable that it still exists today, lol.
Jayda
What a wonderful book of scripture!
Amr
Jun 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This the worst pile bull hucky ever pawned off on the human race. A complete forgery of a worthless book.
Lars
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is short. Laying aside its controversial origin, it contains some simple and profound ideas.
Mary L.
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always amazed to reread this little book. My favorite part is the 11th Article of Faith. Madison called for this to be part of our Bill of rights.
Architeacher
Nov 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fraud, pure and simple.
Banana
Mar 08, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
All LDS kids need to read this. It's real short too, you can read it in about a day. I'm planning on reading it soon.
David
Holy Moly
Elise
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Informative...
Was the "Book of Abraham" fabricated by Joseph Smith? 3 23 Feb 06, 2015 10:46AM
Is the Book of Abraham a FAKE? 5 84 Feb 11, 2013 11:10AM
  • Gospel Principles
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Truth Restored
  • Holy Bible: King James Version
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Our Search for Happiness
Joseph Smith, Jr. was the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, also known as Mormonism, and an important religious and political figure during the 1830s and 1840s. In 1827, Smith began to gather a religious following after announcing that an angel had shown him a set of golden plates describing a visit of Jesus to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. In 1830, Smith published what he said w ...more
More about Joseph Smith Jr....

“We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent and in doing good to all men; indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul - We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.” 9 likes