Start by marking “Selected: A Young Adult Sci-Fi Adventure (The Zaratan Trilogy Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Selected: A Young Adult Sci-Fi Adventure (The Zaratan Trilogy Book 1)

Selected: A Young Adult Sci-Fi Adventure (The Zaratan Trilogy Book 1)

Destruction.... A show of force... And a warning...

Three isolated towns across the world have been destroyed in a show of force by alien invaders. It is a clear warning of what will occur if their demands are not fulfilled. The fulfillment: Human children between the ages of twelve through fifteen years.

Kara Harper is an unremarkable fourteen-year-old girl who is sel
Published May 30th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Selected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected

Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

3.5 Stars rounded up to 4 Stars due to excellent plotting and world building.

Three isolated cities have been destroyed in a show of force by alien invaders. The warning is clear give us the children we ask for. Kara Harper is a 14-year-old girl selected by the aliens. She will be physically and socially orientated during the six months it will take to arrive at the planet Zaratan. Kara is unsure if she has the strength to withstand the trials an
Ashly Lynn
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Young adult readers ages (roughly) 12-15.
Recommended to Ashly by: Provided copy by Netgalley in exchange for honest review.
Synopsis

Kara was just kidnapped from her family and home planet and taken aboard a spaceship where she’s forced into a new life based on alien DNA and family lineage from a planet far away from her own. When she is put through tests, Kara is pushed to her limits and realizes that she is much more than ordinary, even if she can’t see it at first. Kara’s next door neighbor and long-time crush is also kidnapped. When he starts to develop feelings that reciprocate Kara’s, will she pursue a relatio
Donna
I really liked this book. It is about a young girl who is taken along with many other children by aliens. These children are trained to live on the alien planet and to breathe the air which is a bit different in a small way to Earth's. She is taken along with her childhood friend and crush Matt. She is only 14 so is not really ready for a serious boyfriend but she does meet a new boy who had been taken and who has assimilated into the alien culture, who treats her well and becomes her new protec ...more
Ms. Nguyen
Dec 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Ugh. This book. It had a promising premise-- aliens come and select kids aged 12-18 and essentially kidnap them to become citizens on their planet. There were a lot of plot holes, but the real issue was the writing. It was incredibly simplified for no apparent reason and everything was overly explained. I found it so frustrating to read. I would recommend this for elementary school readers. There's no sex, alcohol, etc. and the writing is just definitely not YA.

I was able to read this ebook thr
Elissa Olivas
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly written! Loved reading about Cara's transformation in becoming a part of the alien world as well as her 2 love interests. I can't wait till the next books in the trilogy.
Susan
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Three towns are destroyed to show how advances the aliens are. The aliens have issued a demand that children between ages twelve through fifteen years must be deliver to them. The children are tested first on alien machines. Those who pass go with the aliens and those who don't get to stay on earth. Kara Harper and Matt Sparks have known each other since childhood as they lives next to each other. Kara and Matt become team leaders on the team they are assigned to. The teams must go through physi ...more
Scherry  at The Novel Lady
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Several months ago I received a complimentary copy of Selected from the author, Evelyn Lederman, in a gift basket while attending Authors After Dark, a book convention in Savannah. Life got busy and I didn't have a chance to read it, but every time I looked at it I was fascinated by the gorgeous cover. Well I finally picked it up and once I started reading I simply could not put it down!

I'm not that into Young Adult novels or Sci-Fi novels, but I was TOTALLY CAPTIVATED by this book, the characte
Marie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book too much. It had some good parts and I'm sure for middle school and teenage readers it would be a good read. The characters were well described and detailed, but there were several errors in the text that made it somewhat difficult to read. I would recommend for the above stated age groups, but I personally didn't care too much for it. I received a copy for a honest review.
Renia Carsillo
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun
Good story, likable main character, if a little thin. This book is very short for a YA novel and it's missing some of the details that make a world-building Sci Fi story so interesting. That said, I am handing it off to my 13-year-old son to read.
Neil
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

The characters were great, but unfortunately the plot and writing style were overly simplified even allowing for the plot having been written for teens.
Angie
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
I did not finish this book. I felt like the storyline had great potential. It was an interesting twist, going to live with aliens rather than them coming and invading earth. I found that the story paced through a little too quickly, making it hard to connect with the characters. I felt like the romance had no chemistry, nothing popping off the page.

I received a copy of this from net galley in exchange for my opinion.
Carol Brandon
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the next instalment. Kara is a 14 year old girl who is kidnapped from Earth by aliens, along with thousands other children. The aliens have superior technology so Earth can't resist them. The children learn that they are to repopulate the planet Zaratan, which has been decimated by a plague. Prior to that there were wars amongst the 4 ruling families (a 5th family remained neutral). Prisoners of war were put on other planets centuries ago. Now their ...more
Lene Blackthorn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A YA adventure that might be interesting more for a younger audience.
Kara is a fourteen-year-old that was abducted from home by aliens, intending to use her along with other children for populating a foreign planet. She was chosen because of her heritage – alien DNA. Kara realizes her extraordinary nature only after passing exhausting and limit-pushing tests, and her love life just on the verge of puberty seems to be developing nicely… but not without complications, of course.
I must admit I wa
ISBN: 978-0-9966298-6-7
Buy Link: http://www.evelynlederman.com/selecte...
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
“I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review”
The Zarathan Trilogy 1
Rachael
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shots are fired from space, wiping out three small isolated towns around the globe. Next, the aliens are making contact, saying that all 12-15 year old children must gather at their local schools the following day. If any children refuse, their town will also be wiped out. From these children, some will be selected to join the aliens and travel back to their planet.

When 14-year-old Kara hears this news she is understandably terrified. But with no other choice, she goes to her school and meets wi
Mel (Epic Reading)
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc-netgalley
This is a frustrating book. The premise and social commentary opportunities should have made it amazing. And yet it wasn't.
There are sooo many errors throughout this book it's painful. Between basic typos and punctuation issues to sections that jump around for no reason to statements or descriptions that immediately contradict each other; it's just annoying to read. (I checked the published text and it has the same typos and problems as my copy).The concept and idea is good. Some of the writing
Amanda tm
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I enjoyed the overall premise of the book. Aliens come to earth and wipe out two cities to make a point about their power. They demand children aged 12-15 be tested, and some are chosen to be taken. Kara is aged 14 and one of the chosen, along with two boys from her town. Once taken on to the alien's ship she is subjected to tests with her team with the goal being to move through each of the six levels and have one of ...more
Hannah L (Reviewer)
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-scifi, ya-romance
description
The world has been invaded by aliens, and they demand one thing, children in their young teen years. The world must comply or be destroyed. Kara is one of the selected children to be taken, along with her is her neighbour and long time crush, Matt. Together, they are thrown into a new world of aliens and hard testing that could very well be deadly. As they fight to survive, they bond with the other children around them and with each other, and Kara is singled out by their captor aliens for unkn
Layla
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest review.

I would have given this book three stars however, I gave it four because I couldn't stop turning the page until I got to the end. So I thought it deserved four stars for that alone. There are not that many books out there that make me want to keep reading a book until I get to the end.

Selected reminded me of another book (Compete, The Atlantis Grail series) I read, which was similar in p
Shelley
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
As mentioned in the summary, this book is about an alien invasion.
Quickly learning, they've come to Earth on a mission to collect children between the ages of twelve - fifteen.
Not everyone gets selected.
The children must be tested for specific requirements before they can journey to the planet of Zaratan.

We meet the main character, Kara Harper, before the selection process and follow her journey to Zaratan. Naturally, said journey isn't drama free.
There are further trials and challenges aboar
Linda
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story about children being selected to replenish another world’s population. The story grabbed my attention at the very beginning and did not lag or get boring as the story continued. The plot was easy to follow and the characters were all very true to life. I was very disappointed in the science portrayed about the zero gravity scene and the sounds made by the explosions in a vacuum.
Arec Rain
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on a topic I have been really into lately. I normally don’t read or review YA novels, but Selected was so well done, I felt I had to at least give it a rating. The plot is interesting and I enjoyed each character whether they were despite their role in the story. They were just well written and I felt personally invested in their growth.
Janeandjerry
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that you could live in and grow with each character. I'm giving this one a very high 5 star rating. I hope that there is more to discover on the planet after this book and if not there should be would be interesting to see how life is and how the adoptions went....
InD'tale Magazine
“Selected” enters space and leaps to warp speed at an astronomical pace, taking the reader along for a fabulous ride!

Read full review in the 2016 December issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

I'm disappointed to say that this one is a DNF for me but I just could not get along with the writing.
Sheila gullick
rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2016
Josie Hemphill
Oct 09, 2017
Addicted to Novel...: YA Science Fiction For Review - Selected 1 5 Jun 08, 2016 03:11PM
I clearly remember a conversation I had with my sister and a friend about infinite parallel universes. We were outside Sedona, Arizona.

All of a sudden 5 young women started talking in my mind. That was the start of 'The World's Apart' series. 'The Chameleon Soul Mate' was published in August 2014, followed by 'The Crystal Telepath' in December 2014.

The floodgates have opened and I have more books