Start by marking “It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men” as Want to Read:
It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men

It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  210 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Children have plenty of buddies. In an age when kids all around us are growing up without strong, positive guidance from their parents (who are busy, distracted, gone, or choose to be buddies instead of parents), children need someone they can look to with respect to help them build their lives. When he was thirteen years old, Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-fil-A, had such ...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Looking Glass Books, Inc (first published July 31st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Better to Build Boys Than Mend Men

Emmy
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I had previously read S. Truett Cathy's book How Did You Do It, Truett?: A Recipe for Success and loved it. When I found out that he had written more, I picked up this one as well.

What I liked the most about this book was that it showed how you are supposed to raise a child. You should provide a loving home with guidelines, provide for the child, and make sure they know you love them. However, you are not their buddy, and you can't try to be the cool parent. The child needs support, love,and dis
John Brackbill
I only gave it two stars because it was enjoyable on one level and there was some sporadically helpful advise as well.

But...it deserved one star on many levels. For a book written from a "Christian" perspective on raising boys I found it disheartening that the mere mention of the name of Jesus (just a mere reference to the person of Christ) didn't show up until page 54! The second time? Page 104! The death of Christ was mentioned once and even in that mention it referred to being a servant like
Cheryl
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite sections of this book is "The Power of a Rocking Chair." Cathy talks about "rocking the meanness" out of infants, young children, and even teenagers in his foster homes by showing them quiet, soothing love. As he says, "You may think children have outgrown the desire to be rocked to sleep at night. They haven't--particularly children who haven't had an abundance of love expressed to them. They're eager to be rocked or hugged and reminded that they are loved. So if you don't ha ...more
Scott
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every parent should read this book. It is a simple read, but profound in its thinking. The bottom line is parents must raise children with the end results in mind. It is choosing to do the sometimes difficult and unpopular thing today to get great results down the road.
I would highly, highly recommend this book.
Joe
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Solid truths; not legalistic but standard setting, impact making and positive life building; everybody should read this and see where they line up.

Recommended.
Siobhan Newman
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who is open to God’s call! It is not just for parents of boys! It’s not just for parents and/or grandparents (although I would suggest it to all of the above)! This is a concise primer on how to raise “whole”children before they become broken adults! Anyone can play!!!
Leah
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
While the idea behind this book is very sound, I didn't really enjoy reading it. The idea is that building strong males from the get-go, is better than having to try to "fix" men who had messed up childhoods and made poor choices for them selves as adults. By saying "building strong males", I mean boys who are supported and encouraged, given stable family lives where they are not afraid that every argument will lead to abuse or divorce/abandonment; boys who are free to be kids instead of having ...more
Valarie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a really good quick read that offers practical advice on how to mentor/minister to our children and not just boys only. And when I say minister I mean in the practical sense of walking it out, living it and practicing it in daily life. I don't mean in just the go to church and listen to the preacher ministering. Mr Cathy gives solid advice and examples of how he and the people surrounding have helped to impact the lives of others. True to life not every story is a success, but I think th ...more
Brandy
Aug 31, 2010 added it
This is a great little book from a Christian perspective, written by the founder/owner of Chick-fil-A. It covers how important fathers are in the life of children, but also discusses the need for respect, trust, stability, and good role models in the lif of any child. Very moving, with lots of real-life illustrations of the affects, both positive and negative, of the presence or lack thereof, of some of these important factors in a child's life. After reading this, I have a lot more respect for ...more
Mere
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, parenting
Quick, easy read about how it's important to be good role models for children in many ways. I felt like it applied more to foster parents or teachers, not just specifically parents. A few favorite points:
-teach children that all good gifts are from God, and that distinction will help them to use their common sense and be more generous in sharing with others.
-teach your children important life skills & responsibilities.
-children are always putting us to the test...we must be aware of the me
Jon
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I love the title of this book. It is sooo true. Truett Cathy presents a number of values that are important to teach our children verbally, and, more importantly, through our actions. These values are: 1) Respect including respect for God and His laws; 2)Trust and Generosity including generosity with our time, our affection, our encouragement, and our hospitality; 3) Common Sense and respect for the law of we reap what we sow; 4) Chastity and Sexual Purity; and finally 5) the value of a good nam ...more
Domenico
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Simple homespun wisdom from a devout Christian man who has raised not only his own kids, but has founded numerous foster homes and personally involved himself in the welfare of still more boys. S. Truett Cathy also happens to be the founder of Chik-fil-a restaurants. So he's been around young people a long time and he imparts his tried and true axioms for helping young boys grow into stable, dependable, and moral men.

For all its folksiness, the wisdom is also hard-won because it's based as much
Matt
Dec 28, 2008 added it
i was given this for the holidays so i read it on a lark. there's great advice in here although i find things a bit more conservative/legalistic than my tastes run. you would think from reading this that the slope from moral person to hardened criminal was right there, on the edge, huge as life.

however, Cathy's an admirable guy and a success (in the truer sense of the word, not because he's the founder of a very successful business) and done a lot more good for people than most so for what that
Laura Robinson
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a great easy book. I was encouraged by my pastor to read it, since I serve in student/children's ministry. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be. It was really just a lot of stories, showing the outcome of a lot of bad/good parenting. Maybe this book is geared towards parents? I'm not sure. But I picked up some great advice and different way to look at things.

There were a couple of things I didn't agree with in the book. But that goes with every book.
Colleen
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed Truett Cathy's autobiography Eat More Chikn, Inspire More People so I decided to read this as well. I was horrified by this book. The author says some awful things like single mothers with boyfriends shouldn't be allowed to raise kids and he bemoans that foster parents aren't allowed to spank their foster kids!
Lori
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A good reminder about things that are really important. There's not much elaboration on the points, but sometimes you don't want too much elaboration. It was a quick read, so it's easy to read again and again and remind myself what some of the more important things I need to do as a parent.
Ellen
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a short read, but extremely important and powerful. Every parent should read it -- the same advice could be applied to parents with girls. Truett Cathy, founder of Chick-Fil-A, is truly an inspiration.
Katy Foster
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mr. Cathy's passion for building up boys is so evident, and his belief in a strong family is depicted throughout the book as the core building block. I appreciate his shared wisdom, and am inspired by Cathy's giving spirit.
Emi
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not very well organized, very generic read. Didn't say a lot specifically about building boys, but was instead common sense advice on interacting with children in general. Mostly not terrible, but didn't accomplish promise in title.
Rajah Heetai
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Must read for parents of boys!
Hayley
Sep 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended for anyone who has a son, husband, father, or any significant male figure that they love. It's a really quick read and very relevant!
Sima
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am loving this book so far and highly recommend it to all those that have boys. Very inspiring and makes for great conversation between you and your spouse.
Chainsaw
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very quick read with excellent, uplifting content.
Hannah
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
A quick and exhortational read.
Lizabeth
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fantastic book! A wise man and father passes his wisdom along to future generations. This world needs more valiant men of God like him and I enjoyed reading his life's lessons.
Gina
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good read...my take away, I need to get a rocking chair! Easy, quick read on the importance of treating children with love, love and more love. Read it in one night.
Julie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Truett Cathy reminds me of my grandpa. He just offers good, practical advice on how to encourage boys. It was very inspirational.
Jeri
May 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was hoping for more substance in this book from a man who has built an empire. I agree with his premises, but I wanted a better book. Maybe I'll try something of his writing in the business line.
Christina
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-christina
A nice little inspirational book by Truett Cathy (founder of Chick Fil A) about his experiences in teaching boys Sunday school and working with foster homes for 50+ years.
Shane Eubanks
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The letter on pages 113-117 is fantastic...if you read ANY of this book, read that letter written by a man to his grandson.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Force of Character: And the Lasting Life
  • Slaying the Giants in Your Life
  • This Is a Soul: The Mission of Rick Hodes
  • Porch Talk: Stories of Decency, Common Sense, and Other Endangered Species (Porch Talk series, #1)
  • Room of Marvels
  • The Book on Leadership
  • مارتن لوثر: مقدمة قصيرة جداً
  • Husbands and Fathers: Rediscover the Creator's Purpose for Men
  • Holman Bible Atlas: A Complete Guide to the Expansive Geography of Biblical History
  • God's Outrageous Claims: Discover What They Mean for You
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • From Innocence to Entitlement: A "Love and Logic" Cure for the Tragedy of Entitlement
  • Jane Austen (Christian Encounters Series)
  • When Work and Family Collide: Keeping Your Job from Cheating Your Family
  • The Mentor Leader: Secrets to Building People and Teams That Win Consistently
  • Futureville: Discover Your Purpose for Today by Reimagining Tomorrow
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • The Leadership Pill: The Missing Ingredient in Motivating People Today
Samuel Truett Cathy was an American businessman, investor, author, and philanthropist. He founded the fast food restaurant chain Chick-fil-A.
More about S. Truett Cathy