Start by marking “The Little Reindeer” as Want to Read:
The Little Reindeer

The Little Reindeer

(Ollie #1)

An enchanting Christmas story about a magical yet unlikely friendship between a little girl and a lost reindeer, lovingly told and illustrated with red foil highlights and interactive die cuts.

When a jingling sound wakes her from her sleep, a little girl’s dreams come true when she meets a lost reindeer in the forest. They set off on a magical adventure and it becomes a Ch
Published September 19th 2017 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published September 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Reindeer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Reindeer

Start your review of The Little Reindeer
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ollie is dreaming of Christmas when she is suddenly awakened in the night by the sound of bells. Off she goes into the forest in search of the source of the jingle.

A lovely little holiday story.
Jessica
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Precious and beautiful illustrations, with cut outs that reveal the story piece by piece, this is the story of a little girl named Ollie who finds a lost reindeer and takes it back home. The story itself isn't all that new, it's not unlike a combination of Olive the Other Reindeer and Prancer, for instance. But the pictures are so stunning, and the words are so charmingly done, that it makes it stand out. ...more
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

The Little Reindeer by Nicola Killen is absolutely heartwarmingly beautiful.

The black and white with dashes of red pages surprised me. I wasn’t sure those 3 colors alone could capture the cheer and warmth of the season. Boy-was I wrong! The snow shined and the trees spoke of depth and richness. And the reds! The reds popped and caught my eye. The art charmed me right down to my bunny-slippered toes. It’s beautiful!

On one snowy Christmas Eve, a "jingle, jingle, jingle” woke Ollie from her dreams.
Lata
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Cute story of a girl who encounters a special reindeer. Liked the black and white illustrations with the bits of red.
Gaby
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Gorgeous artwork, adorable story and perfect to get you in the Christmas spirit.
Abigail
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Christmas Picture-Books Featuring Reindeer and/or Children on Christmas Eve
Awakened Christmas Eve night by the jingling of bells, a little girl named Ollie sets out on her sleigh to explore the wintry world around her, and to find the source of the noise. She discovers a silver collar with bells in the wood, and, returning it to its reindeer owner, is taken on a magical nighttime flight. Eventually Ollie and her new friend must part, however, as the reindeer has other business that night...

With subtle but charming artwork - grey and white tones predominate, although th
Faith Tydings
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a beautifully illustrated book with cutouts on some of the pages and a fun texture with the stars and twinkle but the story, eh! I didn't love it. ...more
Rachel
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely book the illustrations are amazing.
Emily Duchon
3.5

love the cut outs and illustrations. the silver tinged bells add a lot to the story. great before bed time piece of fun!

not much to it, really. but that's okay! it's a cute little story about a girl and her midnight ride with a reindeer.
Kathryn
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A lovely little story with beautiful illustrations with little cutouts on some pages and a touch of iridescence.
Jeimy
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ollie is a good egg. Her story is so-so, but it has gorgeous illustrations!
Becky
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: It was Christmas Eve and Ollie had just gone to sleep when jingle, jingle, jingle she woke again with a start. What was that sound?

Premise/plot: A little girl--in reindeer pajamas--discovers a reindeer on Christmas Eve. A small adventure follows, and Christmas morning a souvenir of sorts is received as a gift.

My thoughts: I liked it. The story works well enough. Ollie is a cute heroine. I thought the illustrations were wonderful. It took several readings for me to see all the det
Liane
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Oh I loved this sweet story! Little Ollie loves reindeer. Imagine her delight when she wakes up on Christmas Eve and discovers her very own reindeer! Whimsical illustrations and a sweet narrative make for a wonderfully magic story. Ollie is my kindred spirit. I will definitely be adding this book to my personal collection.
Michele Knott
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Got this one too late to be a holiday read, but I'll keep it in mind for next year. It's a sweet story about a young reindeer enthusiast who ends up with a chance encounter with, you guessed it, a reindeer. The use of sparse reds and greens and silver foils make for a beautiful contrast with the grays and whites throughout the book. The die cuts are sure to please young readers! ...more
Erin Buhr
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
We added this book to our Christmas collection this year. It is a sweet story about a little girl, a reindeer and Christmas Eve. I adore the limited palette of the illustrations and the glittering sense of magic.
Angelina
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars! Beautiful illustrations!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Beautiful illustrations. Use of repetition as a craft move.
Miss Ryoko
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to read this book because I thought the illustrations looked so cute. And Nicola Killen did not disappoint with her illustrations - they were incredibly adorable! The story was sweet
Trish
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, je, christmas
I loved the colors used in this book. The story is about a little girl who helps a reindeer on Christmas Eve.
extraordinary ordinary whimsy
This is such a sweet beautiful perfect Christmas story. Insta-fav. I gotta buy this one. I recommend letting your little one jingle some bells as you read.
Briarwood
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's good for Christmas spirit - G, age 6 ...more
Heather L
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute children’s Christmas book.
Becky
Dec 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations with sprinkles of silver that sparkle on the black, white and gray. The cut-outs are fun too.
Nicole
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just read The Little Reindeer by Nicola Killen and I love it. It is in a grey scale mostly but there are hints of color seen in small, but important details in the story. There is a little girl who likes reindeer and she hears a sound outside on Christmas Eve. When she goes to investigate, she finds a reindeer who takes her on a ride she will never forget. Later, when she wakes up she receives a gift that reminders her of that special night.
My favorite things about this book is the attention
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Love! 10/10! The jingles make it easy to use for preschool storytime, because it repeats and we could have the kids use jingle bells. Not only are the illustrations cute, but there are metallic inlays, and cutouts onto the next pages. Everything I want in a Christmas picture book!
Lindsay
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful illustrations and loved the colour scheme and the cut out views as well as the dots of silver.
Ariel Jensen
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas
A quick read with a tiny mystery, quickly resolved. Not much substance to this one.
Tonja Drecker
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A charming tale, which carries the beautiful simplicity of wondrous Christmas magic.

Ollie has just snuggled into bed on Christmas Eve, when the sound of bells draws her to the window. Curious, she grabs her sled and heads outside to discover where the jingling is coming from. In the forest, she discovers a cheery collar with silver bells, and soon, the reindeer it belongs to. This is when her real adventure begins.

Ollie is a brave little girl with an adventurous spirit and mounds of curiosity. E
Alex  Baugh
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s Christmas Eve and Ollie has just gone to sleep when she hears the jingle of jingle bells. Looking out her window, all she sees freshly fallen snow. Going downstairs, she grabs her sled, and follows the jingling sound. In the wood, she find are collar with jingle bells all around it. When a reindeer approaches her, Ollie realizes the collar belongs to him and puts it back on him. Then, she climbs on his back, he flies her home and after saying good-bye, Ollie climbs back in bed and falls asl ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »