Start by marking “Lucifer's Harvest (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #9)” as Want to Read:
Lucifer's Harvest (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #9)

Lucifer's Harvest

(The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #9)

Lord Gilbert Talbot must provide soldiers for Prince Edward's battle in France. He wishes his surgeon--Hugh de Singleton--to travel with the war party to tend any injuries. Among those on the road is Sir Simon Trillowe, Hugh's old nemesis, who had once torched Hugh's house.

Finding himself in the same war party, Hugh resolves to watch his back in the presence of the knight,
Published August 19th 2016 by Lion Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Lucifer's Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucifer's Harvest

Jane
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: "cozy" or medieval mystery fans
My first foray into the Hugh de Singleton, surgeon, medieval mystery series and a very enjoyable outing. This novella was a simple story that kept me guessing, with a bit of a moral twist, as Hugh tries to live the injunctions of the Bible. Hugh accompanies his lord, Gilbert Talbot, to France, along with Prince Edward, the "Black Prince", and we see the English army at the siege of Limoges. The dead body of Sir Simon Trillowe, no friend to Hugh, is found stuffed down a well, and suspicion falls ...more
Amy
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This would have been a 5 star book as the rest of his series has been except that it's being advertised and priced as novel #9 when it is in fact (At 133 pages) the size of a novella. However despite it being half the size of the rest of Mel's books our friend Hugh de Singleton does manage to do quite a bit in those 133 pages. The story itself is just as riveting and entertaining as the rest of the series though most of this one takes place in a different setting. The ending was a bit sobering b ...more
Gregoire
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: moyen-ge, serie-suivre, ya
Une novella d'à peine 148 pages pour une aventure de Hugh assez succincte malgré la traversée de la Manche pour venir reprendre Limoges aux Français
Cela se lit d'une traite mais il manque à mon goût plus d'analyses et de détails sur ce passage historique qui aurait mérité un travail d'écriture en profondeur
Ma note est sévère car j'attendais mieux de l'auteur De plus, j'estime que c'est un récit plutôt pour jeunes lecteurs ...

****

A novella of just 148 pages for a rather succinct adventure of Hug
Spuddie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Not a bad entry in this historical series featuring surgeon and bailiff Hugh de Singleton; just getting a little repetitive. I wonder how many times I've read the words, "He broke his fast with half a loaf of wheaten bread and watered ale." (Or something very similar). Hugh is off to France in this episode with Lord Gilbert at the behest of Prince Edward. While there, he ends up investigating the murder of an old rival, Sir Simon Trillowe.
Narita
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Mel Starr writes a new book I cannot wait to read it! His books are unique to historical novels with settings in the 1400’s. An era you rarely see written about in fiction especially Christian fiction. I never cease to learn something new. His research has yielded such detail about every aspect of that time that people come to life. I especially am fascinated my Hugh de Singleton’s occupation as a surgeon and doctor. His mysteries continuously keep me guessing who the guilty party is and I ...more
Gayle Pace
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read several other books by Mel Starr and I have enjoyed them all. I find Surgeon Hugh to be a considerate and understanding man. He also has a humorous side. A hero he is not, or at least I felt so at first. No he's not the knight in shining armor but he does do what he says he will. The author goes into detail of the surgeon's way of surgery. Usually Hugh's family is part of the story but in this book, they aren't a part of it. If you've read Starr's other books, you may miss the family i ...more
Vera Godley
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read several in the Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon by Mel Starr and found each to be entertaining, enlightening as to the historical aspects, and refreshing. I was looking forward with delight to another Hugh de Singleton read and romp through the paths and over the streams of medieval England. That was not the case in this shortened episode in the ongoing tale.

This story centers around the battle between English (Prince Edward) army and the France ending with the routing of th
Patricia Gulley
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've read this entire series, and sometimes wonder why. It just plods along at its own pace and I just can't help rooting for Hugh de Singleton. This time he is off to France with his master, Gilbert, who must fight in France with Prince Edward for the recovery of Limoges. The contract he makes with Gilbert before they leave for the protection of his wife and children was very interesting.
Susanne
This ninth chronicle of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon, was very short compared to the previous mysteries in this amazing medieval mystery series.

Hugh has been married to his beautiful Kate for several years now, and with daughters Bessie and Sybil, they live in Galen House near Bampton Castle (a day's ride from Oxford) where Hugh is bailiff to the widowed Lord Gilbert Talbot as well as surgeon to the village of Bampton.

A message arrives one day in 1370: Lord Gilbert must provide soldiers to join P
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
I enjoy Mel Starr's Hugh de Singleton books; they're an easy, relaxing read, a sort of candy-floss for the mind but not so cheap and nasty. Starr tries very hard to create a realistic representation of Mediaeval life but there are times it comes across, to me, as some sort of historical reconstruction; Twentieth Century people in fancy dress. I know all this sounds like harsh criticism and have to stress, straight away, that it's not meant to be. Starr is the man I turn to to enjoy at a leisurel ...more
Janka H.
Hugh de Singleton goes to war. As a companion of Lord Gilbert he is to serve as a surgeon - and also as a sleuth in the murder mystery, when he himself is a suspect.

Not bad, not good. As for the length, this is more novella like than a novel. As for the historical settings - the author has obviously done his homework and the historical background is well-researched. The descriptions are vivid and Master Hughs musings are wise as usual.
But unfortunately the mystery feels abrupt and there is very
Alison
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better installments in the series, this short book follows our surgeon Hugh to war, giving a glimpse into the realities of medieval warfare in the process. The impact - on the knights, their serfs, and the French people they are invading - is well explained, and Hugh's musings provide for a chance for Starr to explore the impact of Wyclyff's bible translation on faith. The plot itself ties nicely into the themes, while the shortness of the work limits it to a simple tale, avoiding the ...more
Sharon
Mel Starr can't write these books in this series quickly enough for me! What meticulously researched 14th century intrigue! Every detail, down to the clothing worn by each class in medieval England, is just fascinating, in and of itself, and yet the murder mystery put before Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon & Bailiff, is just as wonderfully engrossing. Just loooooooove this series of books.
Sari
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully written, and well-researched. Historical fiction at its finest. Great story, endearing characters...very minor/petty complaint: I expected a little more book for my buck. For the price I would have appreciated more than 150 pages:(
Andy53
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A bit short at 155 pages but the story is excellent. Master Hugh is a genius
Awallens
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The mystery seemed a little weak in this book. Although I didn't know who did it, there wasn't a lot of suspense either. Not my favorite in the series, but still good.
Tammy Flanders
Not my favourite in the series but alright. As usual the author provides plenty of details to create a strong time and place (Middle Ages, England and France).Short quick read.
Lisa Horner
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 1/2 stars. Mildly entertaining mystery. Quick read.
Melissa Michelle
This book series is like a fresh drink of water for thirty historians like me!!!!! I'm excited about another book in the series after this one and look forward with rapture to reading it!
Thanks
Janet
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I really enjoy these books, set in 14th century England and featuring Hugh de Singleton, surgeon. They are murder mysteries, but also very carefully researched descriptions of medieval life. Hugh is an exceptionally resourceful fellow, valued by Lord Gilbert who has appointed him bailiff as well as surgeon. I learn fascinating facts from each book.

I gave this one only three stars because it barely qualifies as a novella - it was a good story, but at about 150 pages, hardly seems enough to be the
Linda Hepworth
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
It is 1370 and Hugh de Singleton, surgeon and bailiff in the employ of Lord Gilbert Talbot, is ordered to accompany his master to France. The French king has seized Limoges from British control and Prince Edward has decided to send thousands of men to recapture his territories. It will be a perilous journey and Hugh feels reluctant to leave his wife and two young daughters but he knows that Lord Gilbert will need his medical skills, both on the long journey and later, on the battlefield. His gre ...more
English
For some who have been following this series, the length of this book proved a disappointment. It was only 150 pages, instead of the usual 225-50. I confess, I had my own reservations in that regard, but I certainly enjoyed it.
As the synopsis makes clear, this instalment of the Hugh de Singleton Medieval mystery series involves the Surgeon Hugh being accused of the murder of his long-time enemy, Sir Simon Trillowe (a knight who had courted the woman he married, and once tried to burn down his h
Lisa Johnson
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Title: Lucifer’s Harvest (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton #9)
Author: Mel Starr
Pages: 148
Year: 2016
Publisher: Lion Fictioin
My rating is 3 stars.
Hugh de Singleton is summoned with his employer, Baron Gilbert, by Prince Edward to go to battle against France. Hugh is taken along not in his role as bailiff, but as a surgeon to treat battle wounds. He leaves behind his wife Kate and two young daughters not knowing if he will return or be the victim in battle, even though he isn’t in the fighting r
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Lucifer's Harvest
Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton,
surgeon #9
By Mel Starr

English holdings in France have been taken by King Charles of France and Prince Edward has determined to reclaim them. Unfortunately for Hugh de Singleton, Lord Gilbert Talbot has been requested to supply some of his men for the effort. As the surgeon to Lord Gilbert, Hugh's value in the forthcoming battle makes his duty unavoidable.

Leaving Kate, Bessie, Sybil behind is a great concern to Hugh as his return from France is a
Susan
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-read
I won this book through Goodreads. Very good. So much happened in a short time. Totally engrossing. A must read in the series.
Beckie Burnham
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The tenth installment of The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon, Lucifer’s Harvest, continues the adventures of Master Hugh as he accompanies the military campaign of Prince Edward of England as he seeks to recover his lands in Acquitaine. Hugh’s role of surgeon may keep him out of direct military involvement, but it does not keep him from danger. The death of his nemesis mobilizes Hugh to uncover the murderer before he finds himself on the end of a rope.

Mel Starr does a great job of bring
Jill
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Readers will enjoy the acquaintance of Hugh de Singleton whether introduced from the first novel, or starting from the middle of the series. Lucifer's Harvest, is one of the shorter mysteries and would be a quick and efficient way to "sample" the series. I suspect it will whet one's appetite for the whole series.

Set in medieval times, it's fascinating to learn of historical details and locations (and even medical practices of the time), while enjoying the wit and wisdom of the surgeon (and baili
Jay
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I received this book free in return for an honest review, this in no way influences my opinion and the following is all my own words and thoughts.

This is the sort of series where you can start almost anywhere and not feel that you have missed anything majorly significant, and I did just that. This is the first book I have ever read by Mel Starr and while I wasn't disappointed I also can't say I loved it.
Lucifer's Harvest follows the adventure of a surgeon in medival times. His chara
Mark
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This series is perhaps the most unusual suspense/mystery series that I read, being set in medieval times. Every time I think the series is done, the author comes out with another novel in the series and surprises me..... and I see there is a #10 slated, so I am happy.

Lucifer's Harvest is different from the others in the series in that Hugh travels further from his home than in the other books, and not for the purpose of solving a crime, but for being present during a war. Since this is a suspe
Becky
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
I always look forward to the next installment in Mel Starr's Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon. These books are unlike any others I've read, and I love them!

Lucifer's Harvest, as with all of the books in this series, is written as Master Hugh's journal. I love this style, as it allows for humor (often self-deprecating) and foreshadowing.

Most of the novel focuses on Hugh's quest to find a murderer—which is often Hugh's quest in these novels. However, in Lucifer's Harvest, Hugh is the one w
  • A Play of Treachery (Joliffe the Player, #5)
  • The Abbess of Whitby: a Novel of Hild of Northumbria
  • The Scroll
  • Blue Madonna (Billy Boyle World War II, #11)
  • The Labyrinth Makers (Dr David Audley & Colonel Jack Butler #1)
  • Fifth Column (The Blitz Detective #2)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
  • Oswiu: King of Kings (The Northumbrian Thrones #3)
  • My Daughter's Legacy (Cousins of the Dove #3)
  • Day of Atonement: A Novel of the Maccabean Revolt
  • Death by the Book (Drew Farthering Mystery #2)
  • Holy Spy (John Shakespeare, #7)
  • The End of All Things (The Kinsman Chronicles, #1c)
  • Kingdom Come (Kingmaker, #4)
  • The Diaries Of Pontius Pilate (Fellowship of the Essentials, #1)
  • The Peacock Throne
Mel Starr was born and grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan. After graduating with a MA in history from Western Michigan University in 1970, he taught history in Michigan public schools for thirty-nine years, thirty-five of those in Portage, MI, where he retired in 2003 as chairman of the social studies department of Portage Northern High School. Mel and his wife, Susan, have two daughters and seven gra ...more

The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Unquiet Bones (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #1)
  • A Corpse at St Andrews Chapel (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #2)
  • A Trail of Ink (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #3)
  • Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)
  • The Tainted Coin (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #5)
  • Rest Not in Peace (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #6)
  • The Abbot's Agreement (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #7)
  • Ashes to Ashes (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #8)
  • Deeds of Darkness (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #10)
  • Prince Edward's Warrant (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton #11)
“I am a man, and like other males am often mistaken when attempting to predict female opinions. Supper” 0 likes