Start by marking “Exodus For You: Thrilling you with the liberating love of God (God's Word For You)” as Want to Read:

Exodus For You: Thrilling you with the liberating love of God

(God's Word for You)

Without Exodus, we have an impoverished understanding of the nature of God, the achievement of the cross, the triumph of the resurrection and the identity of God's people.

With his trademark Christ-centred clarity, Tim Chester walks readers through Exodus, making its great themes thrillingly clear to those new to the book, and unearthing wonderful new surprises for those
Published June 1st 2016 by The Good Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Exodus For You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exodus For You

Start your review of Exodus For You: Thrilling you with the liberating love of God (God's Word For You)
Glen
I am a book smart layman, but not a educated theologian by any stretch of the imagination. I am not going to do a review, discussing the details of material presented in this book.

We were doing a small group study of Exodus and I purchase this guide to help with my understanding of Exodus. We were using a prepared study guide from this book. I will say, that this book was not easy to get through. I encountered materials that I disagree with and questioned and discussed with home group members.
Peter Krol
Chester has a good, clear writing style. But this commentary wasn't as close to the text of Exodus as I had hoped. It departs too often from analyzing the text to theologizing from it. Peter Enns's volume in the NIV Application Commentary is still the best I've read on Exodus.
James
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You need to know that this is not a commentary - but not being a commentary has advantages! Sometimes commentaries (especially more technical ones), fail to see the wood from the trees, but Tim Chester does the complete opposite. He zooms out and considers Exodus in the light of the rest of scripture and how it applies to us today. I would suggest reading this alongside a commentary.
Todd McGlinchey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite commentaries in this series. So many parallels to the New Testament and Jesus found in the book of Exodus. I love it.
Michael Willis
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most helpful commentaries/study guides I've read. I feel that I have a better grasp of the themes and lessons of Exodus as a result of using it.
Phil Butcher
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book on Exodus I have ever read. I was so encouraged, challenged and informed. Really easy to read. I totally recommend it!
Ruth Cook
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the "for you" series but the Exodus one has been such an encouraging and deep reading. Each day I read the Bible verses for one of the parts of each chapter, then I read that part and reflected on the questions as my personal time with God. I have really enjoyed this series as a way of guiding my devotionals. I always feel that I learn something deep and practical at the same time. Exodus for you is no exception and Tim Chester does an incredible job explaining the text and helping ...more
Justin Orman
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a traditional commentary, but a fantastic study of a book of the Bible too often overlooked as merely a history/law book. I read Chester's study concurrently with another, similar commentary on Exodus, but preferred this one a bit.

While I lean more dispensational, I felt that most of what Chester taught is not inconsistent with loose dispensationalism.

This is a great book for anyone wanting to see how the Old Testament looks forward to and anticipates Christ and his church, and forms a
Jeremiah
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, this is not a commentary. That being said this a great book to walk beside you as you go through the book of Exodus. The thing I have enjoyed about this series of books is they ask better questions than most bible study books ask and if you consider them and answer them thoughtfully you will grow spiritually.
Kenny Robertson
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Devotional introduction to a theological reading of Exodus. Particularly helpful on connections with creation and new creation
Elisa
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource to supply you with great ideas for Sunday School or small group teaching with young adults or students.
David
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book, which brought the metanarative out, as well as providing detail, explanation and insight.
Jo Anne
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent commentary on Exodus. learnt so much from it.
Jon Ullrich
Jul 30, 2019
Jay
Dec 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Gospel-Centered Teaching: Showing Christ in All the Scripture
  • The Shortest History of Germany
  • Orthodoxy
  • TED Talks: The Official TED Guide to Public Speaking
  • The Gospel in a Pluralist Society
Dr Tim Chester is involved in The Crowded House, a church planting initiative in Sheffield, UK. He was previously Research & Policy Director for Tearfund UK, and has been published widely on prayer, mission, social issues and theology. He is married to Helen and has two daughters.

God's Word for You (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Judges for You
  • 1 Samuel for You (God's Word for You)
  • 2 Samuel For You: The Triumphs and Tragedies of God's King (God's Word For You)
  • Daniel For You
  • Micah For You: Acting Justly, Loving Mercy
  • Luke 1-12 for You (God's Word for You)
  • Luke 12-24 for You
  • John 1-12 for You
  • John 13-21 For You
  • Acts 1-12 For You: Charting the birth of the church
“Look to Jesus to be enough for you, and there will never, ever come a day when he is not enough.” 1 likes