Start by marking “Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 117 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #117)” as Want to Read:
Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 117 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #117)

Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 117 (Clarkesworld Magazine, #117)

FICTION
“Pathways” by Nancy Kress

NON-FICTION
“The Science Fiction Future of the Microbiome” by Matthew Simmons
“The 'Quarter
Published June 7th 2016 by Wyrm Publishing (first published June 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 117, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clarkesworld Magazine, Issue 117

Jokoloyo
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Rating for "Things With Beards". I read this at the right moment, or else, I would give this story as 2 star-rating. I am not a fan of a horror story, even SF horror story. I avoid SF movie titles that turns out to be a horror movie (for example, Sunshine (2007)).

This story is not about plot, but about character development. A monster character development.

I agree with the last sentence on the story. Recently, I read a philosophy article from a Tibetan Rinpoche that has similar virtue. The sente
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Reviews for two of the stories in this issue, free online at Clarkesworld magazine. Reviews first posted at Fantasy Literature:

5 stars for "And Then, One Day, the Air was Full of Voices” by Margaret Ronald, which I loved. Dr. Kostia is a keynote speaker and panel participant in an academic conference. Her specialty is extra-terrestrial intelligence ― specifically, the analysis of some radio-like transmissions from an alien race called the Coronals. About thirty years before, Earth scientists re
Althea Ann
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
After a stint working on a research station in Antarctica - a job that ended badly, with a mysterious but fatal disaster - a man is back in New York. he's ready to meet up with his old friends and lovers, a social scene which overlaps the Black Power movement and the 1970's gay scene. But he's experiencing strange blackouts, blanks in his memory where evidence hints that something strange may have happened. And he still can't remember exactly what happened in Antarctica. He doesn't want to say i ...more
G33z3r
"And Then, One Day, the Air was Full of Voices" by Margaret Ronald —
First contact via detection of alien "transmission" from an unexpected media. Not really so much about the first contact, its method or technology, as how it affects people on earth. A pretty interesting short story. ****

".identity" by E. Catherine Tobler —
Cyber story narrated by AI on an interstellar generation ship. There's a ghost in the machine. Interesting story after a confusing start. ***

"Pathways" by Nancy Kress —
Classi
Alina
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories, aliens
An alien story (?) with a man who misses time and finds himself in some pretty weird situations.
Maryam
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5

Review originally published here : https://thecurioussffreader.wordpress...

Content

Original Fiction

And Then, One Day, the Air was Full of Voices by Margaret Ronald 5*

Great story, it really started the issue with a bang. It’s hard to talk about this story without spoiling it but basically it’s the story of a scientist who discovered an alien transmission and managed to understand them. However, after a while, she realized that she was witnessing the end of the alien and that the whole scientifi
Marcos
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
An interesting take on a kind of "sequel" to the 1982 film "The Thing", in which we follow in the life post-film of Kurt Russell's character. It is an interesting study of the concept of "otherness", mixing race and gender relations in 1980's America with the "other" thing that lurks inside McReady's body. Where the story falls a bit flat is in the terrorist subplot. Not an easy subject, and treated here with not enough depth, which makes the ending fall a bit flat.
Naw
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow.
This was great. Clever and fascinating. Simple but approaching so many complex matters. Every words right on point and then, strangely poetic at the same time.
I really liked it.
Psi
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating only for "Things With Beards".
I read this online. A terrific mix of lovecraftian horror and social critique. The style is a bit fragmentary but it makes total sense within the story.

It deals with some difficult topics that I have listed below. Some might spoil part of the story so I encourage you not to read them unless necessary.

List of content warnings (MIGHT BE CONSIDERED SPOILER):

Suicide, homophobia, racism, police brutality
Unai
May 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Breve relato/secuela de "The Thing" de Carpenter con un "Kurt Russell" de vuelta en Nueva York tras lo ocurrido en La Antartida y de lo que no recuerda nada tras despertar después de ser dado por muerto y congelado.
Bien, pero esta tan metido a presión con la trama gay ochentera, el sida, la violencia racial en Nueva York y demás, que al final tanta alegoría con el monstruo interior queda un poco difuminada.
Peter Tillman
Brief comment for “And Then, One Day, the Air was Full of Voices” by Margaret Ronald. I expected to like this, based on previous reviews. Well, I didn't, not very much. Confusing and sort of depressing story. Might just be me.
Ninja
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
It wasn't bad, there were certainly some quite interesting elements around the things inside, and the context of the story, but it's not a strong 3...
Elle Maruska
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story was so amazingly good, so gutting and painful and burning, it's SO MUCH all at once and I loved every word. It's about monsters that get inside us, how we make our peace with them...and omg it's just a really good story. Read it. Now.
Marco
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-awards, sci-fi
A very interesting piece, touching very interesting topics like race relations, queerness, and otherness in America. The writing is quite good, the plot entertaining and interesting to read. I particularly enjoy how the two types of otherness, the one created by centuries of social discrimination, and the fictional blend and reinforce each other in the story. What I found troubling was MacReady's participation to a terrorist attack, and the fact that the author does not seem to see that act in a ...more
Esther
Really lovely edition. Lots of great stories - Margaret Ronald's being my favourite - and also really interesting non-fiction articles. I found the one about microbiomes in the gut particularly fascinating.

Perfect for me

Enjoyable, worked for me
* "And Then, One Day, the Air was Full of Voices" by Margaret Ronald - Exquisite story about studying an alien race which we know has already died.
"Things with Beards" - Creepy story about what is found under the ice and in our own identities.
".identity" b
Morwen
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Margaret Ronald - And Then, One Day, the Air was Full of Voices *** 1/2
SETI empfängt einen Code, der es der Menschheit erlaubt, über viele Jahre die komplette Kommunikation einer fernen Spezies mitzuhören. Doch plötzlich verstummt die Kommunikation ...
Sam J. Miller - Things With Beards ** 1/2
Sie kommen aus der Antarktis zurück; aber sind sie noch sie selbst?
E. Catherine Tobler - .identity ****
Die Systeme eines Generationenschiffes spielen verrückt. Ist der KI des Schiffes noch zu trauen, oder is
Cat M
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review is of the story "Things With Beards" by Sam J. Miller

An intriguing and unsettling sequel to the movie The Thing, this is ultimately a story about identity and what we hide of ourselves and what we reveal.

Set in 1983, the story touches on bunch of interesting topics: queerness and passing, the beginning of the AIDS epidemic, and the black liberation struggle, and mostly does well by them all, but I think it would have been better if it had been a bit longer and had more time for the n
Marcelo Bighetti
Aug 29, 2016
Jonathan S. Harbour
Apr 09, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, short-story
This is horror in the truest sense of the word. Miller molded characters and plot from a beloved John Carpenter film into a thinly disguised satire about LGBT acceptance. (Oh, I forgot, now it's LGBTQ). There is nothing in the Carpenter film to hint that MacReady is gay or that Childs is his gay lover. So, what if they were? Okay, well, maybe Kirk and Spock were gay lovers. That would tweak the LGBTQ Trekkies because not only are they gay, but Spock is half alien, so someone is bound to relate t ...more
J
Sr3yas
rated it it was ok
May 20, 2017
Sam Miller
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nick
Sep 08, 2016
John Blue
Aug 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Neil Clarke is best known as the editor and publisher of the Hugo and World Fantasy Award-winning Clarkesworld Magazine. Launched in October 2006, the online magazine has been a finalist for the Hugo Award for Best Semiprozine four times (winning three times), the World Fantasy Award four times (winning once), and the British Fantasy Award once (winning once). Neil is also a six-time finalist fo ...more