Start by marking “Boy Midflight” as Want to Read:
Boy Midflight

Boy Midflight

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
At eighteen, Ashley seems to have everything: looks, talent, and even a girlfriend. What more could a young man want? Yet something is missing, and he has to come to terms with his sexuality and the possible implications for his career in the public eye. He begins dating Chris but isn’t sure he’s head over heels in love. It’s not the knight-in-shining-armor feeling he alwa ...more
ebook, 2nd Edition, 200 pages
Published July 4th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press (first published August 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Boy Midflight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy Midflight

CrabbyPatty
3.5 stars. In his forward, Charlie David describes Boy Midflight as "nothing fancy, just a teenager telling a love story." Ashley (single, gay, terrified) is 18 and attending a performing arts college in Victoria BC. The first part of Boy Midflight explores the balance between indecision and crisis that exemplifies being 18 and trying to find your way through the minefield of life, love and relationships.

Toward the end of the school year, Ashley gets a modeling contract in L.A. while his boyfr
Elisa Rolle
Boy Midflight is a coming of age and coming out story without the angst that usually accompanies both this genres. It shows us a short period in Ashley's life, that moment in life when you have to take some important decisions for your future life, and with the help of some flashbacks it also goes back to his teen years.

When the story starts Ashley is 18 years old and attending a performing art college in Canada. It's quite clear that Ashley is a bit confused about his sexuality, or better abou
Melissa Mendoza
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Blurb:

Alex Akira
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story truly caught me by surprise. It’s quite lovely! Smart, witty, and absorbing, the breathless “joy of possibilities” voice of its eighteen-year-old protagonist, Ashley, grabbed my inner teen and took me on a delicious roller-coaster journey of first love. Sparks, goose bumps, giggles, and a dizzying emotional déjà vu kept me reading through the night. This story holds all the beauty and wonder of an unexpected rainbow sighting. Expect to be charmed, dazzled, and dazed. Marvelous!

Youth
Nancy Evra
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Boy Midflight' portrays a young man, Ashley, who is 18. Ashley's attending a performing art college in Canada and it's pretty obvious that he has some issues with his sexuality or, at least, that he's not openly gay. He dates a girl, or should I say a 'ghost' girl, Rachel but he's been attracted to guys in the past and still is. We also learn from Ashley's memories that he has had same-sex experiences although he's had some girlfriends.
Ashley is a very touching guy looking for his true self. Hi
Amy
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbtq, 2011
I enjoyed this book quite a lot. (Though whoever edited it didn't do a good job: 3 errors in the first 30 pages), but after that, the book really took off for me and I didn't notice as many.

It's hard not to like Ashley. He was a really enjoyable character.

I kept being fooled into thinking that I knew what this book was going to be about, but then the plot changed and surprised me - in a good way! I'm tired of predictable glbtq books.

The writing made me laugh out loud several times, and I was com
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ashley, the narrator of Charlie David’s Boy Midflight, is a teenager on the cusp of limitless possibilities. Eighteen, gorgeous, and ready to fall in love, this story is his journey from boy- to adulthood, and an exploration of his sexuality—realizing that in spite of the fact he’s only dated girls, his truth is not heterosexual.

Ashley comes to the realization that he’s gay at a time in his life where the future is everything exciting, uncertain, and intimidating, and Charlie David captures the
A.M. Leibowitz
This is not a traditional romance. It's more a journey of maturing and self-discovery. I really like Charlie David's writing, so I wanted to see what this would bring. I am still deciding how I feel about it. There were things I really liked and things I could have done without.

What I didn't enjoy: Ashley is an obnoxious narrator. He's immature and honestly not very nice. The whole first part of the book is his somewhat sheltered life, even at an arts school, where people can be neatly divided i
Louis A
Apr 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars!
The book had potential, but it just fell so short that I had to drag myself to finish and when done, all I could say was: that was a waste of time!
As a person who hails from BC, the Victoria setting was beautiful and well-done and there are some funny moments for sure (reason for the stars). Other than the rest of the plot is rather unrealistic and full of twists designed to prolong the story rather than give it substance.
Peppermaud
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three in the bed the middle one says... Charlie David is awesome is awesome! lol
Mark Gaulding
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a completely silly book but it is PERFECTLY silly. I loved every single moment of this fairy tale novel.
Gillian

Boy Midflight is an interesting little coming of age/coming out story that manages to avoid the overly angsty pitfalls that plague most books in this genre. Told exclusively through the first person POV of Ashley, an 18 yr old college student, Boy Midflight is the story of a young man on the verge of adulthood, just learning how to be comfortable in his own skin and his own sexuality.

The first part of this short story focuses on Ashley’s time in Victoria,
Morningstar
Book: Boy Midflight
Author: Charlie David
Rating: 4 Stars

This is a somewhat angsty coming of age and coming out story. Like most coming of age stories the main character is wracked with decisions in his life. But what I thought was the most important decision or journey our MC went through wasn’t so much coming out but coming to grips with his sexuality and how that plays out into the world.

Ashley who is only 18 year old always thought he wanted to grow up get married, have kids, and of course th
Elena
Usually that kind of premise in a blurb doesn't interest me enough to begin reading a book, and I wasn't going to, but then I found out about the audio version and nearly jumped at the thought of listening to it. I guess I just missed Charlie's voice too much and decided it was worth wasting a few hours, even though the description almost screamed cliche, boring, and not-my-read-at-all.

I actually was somewhat enjoying this for a while - the story starting off as quite earnest and believable, th
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the start of this story - student angst in beautiful Victoria. But as the relationships in this story became increasingly superficial and our angsty narrator began to love himself more than is possibly palatable, I became increasingly frustrated with this book.

I think Ashley first started to annoy me close to the start when he offered a vaguely misogynist rant about how gay boys need pretty girls to act as their fruit flies. Gender was an issue for me all the way through this story. W
Natosha Wilson
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I will honest and say that the first part of this book was confusing. This book is based off of Ashley's pov and for the first part of the book I felt like he was all over the place which really started to confuse me. It was like Ashley was wanting to give past and present perspective all at one time. But I pushed through and got past it. Once I did and Ashley quit jumping from the past and present I was able to get into the book. It turned out once I was past that to be a really good book.

Ashle
Andrea Goodell
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read, YA/NA, I find the characters just too immature for me to handle. THE only reason I picked this was because of the author. And his narrating skills.

That being said, I started and finished this with an open mind, and simply put loved it!

Did I find Ashley, young, too young, actually no. If anything the first ‘love interest’ Chris was the immature of the two, and he was years older.

So this book is told in two parts as it were, before L.A. and after.

Before, we have Ashley just coming to
Stephani Rozier
Okay, I am rating this somewhere between 2.5 and 3 stars.

I REALLY wanted to like it, and I did like some of it. I just got frustrated with some inconsistencies. For example, at some points MC Ashley is 18 years old, then 19, then 18 again. That took me right out of the story. I listened to this one but I fear that if I had actually read it, it would have been in my dnf pile. :(
Larry Peterson
This is Charlie David's second novel. I enjoyed his first one--Mulligans--very much as I did the movie that preceded the novel. Charlie David is still developing as an author but both books are fun reads.
Dig
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the random throws of original poetry in the middle of the book and the monologues, besides that, I thought this book was okay.
Chris
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
< forthcoming >
Cindra
Quick, easy read. A coming-of-age/accepting yourself kind of story. I'm guessing this story is semi-autobiographical.
SW
Katelyn Sweigart
Jan 13, 2016
Dave Smitherman
Aug 14, 2011
Charlie David has been a host for E! Television, NBC, OutTV, LOGO, here! TV, Pink TV, EGO, Fine Living and Slice Networks on such shows as FYE!, SpyTV, Crash Test Mommy and his travel series Bump which shot over 100 episodes around the world and garnered a Hugo Television award. He has appeared as musical guest on VH1, BBC, CBS’s The Early Show, and dozens of radio shows.

In 2005 Out Magazine reco
More about Charlie David...