Start by marking “Egyptian Magic” as Want to Read:
Egyptian Magic

Egyptian Magic

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  326 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Culled from ancient sources by the former keeper of the Egyptian collection at the British Museum, this informative volume presents the ancient Egyptians' names, spells, enchantments, amulets, pictures, and ceremonies for healing the sick, raising the dead, knowing the past and the future, destroying one's enemies, more.
Published October 1st 2000 by Citadel (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Egyptian Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egyptian Magic

Jeannette Jackson
This is an awesome book that I often refer to at times when I am seeking answers in relation to Egyptian beliefs and rituals..I have many aha moments of insight that have been triggered after seeking it's assistance.. As a Master Energy Healer myself it certainly is a welcome friend along my path. I have a deep respect for E A Wallis Budge, great read for those that have parallel interests in this field of study and work, but a not so good read for the mainstream mindsets.
My old instructors would ramble on as to how irrelevant Budge had become. His translations were iffy, his chronology off. The books no longer taken seriously by academics.

Budge has survived because he is readable. His writing stands after a hundred years. While most of my instructors couldn't go twenty minutes without putting half the class into a coma.
Joeri Ryckaseys
Zeer degelijk werk over de Oud Egyptische religie, hun rituelen, geloof en bijgeloof. Ik heb er heel veel van bijgeleerd. Zeer interessant hoe sommige rituelen zelfs bleven doorleven tot in de 19de eeuw. Wallis E.A. Budge is ook niet de minste, hij was een befaamd Egyptoloog en zelfs verantwoordelijk voor de Assyrische en Egyptische afdeling in het Brittish Museum. Het enige minpunt aan dit boek is dat het niet altijd even vlot geschreven is.
Daniel G.
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm very impressed. No question Budge's work is dated. Goodness, it was written in 1899; however, he is readable. And, if you've done much reading in the field of Egyptology, you can find he has the occasional surprising insight, the little detail, that he adds to your collective knowledge about ancient Egypt. As to the translation itself, I certainly don't read any of the Egyptian scripts, having done nothing more than toy with them. But I admire him for an admission he makes in the preface to ...more
Apr 27, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witch-studies
I'm sad to say that I have to agree with the others who said this book was boring. I always find when I read that, I enjoy the books. This time, they were so, painfully right.

It felt like Budge was mocking the Egyptians for their beliefs. Also, most of the book was just quoted from the Bible and the Book of the Dead. Pages and pages of quoted material. I could just pick up those books if I wanted those stories. Please, tell me something new.

There was literally only one piece of information tha
G.A. Wilson
'Egyptian Magic' was first published in 1895 and the language is very much of that era. In its time, the book was an authoritative work on ancient Egyptian magic and occult practices. It contains interesting information on amulets, scarabs, spells, ghosts and mind control. Tales of magic have also been included, as well as an interpretation of the ancient Egyptian calendar. There are also some good illustrations.

I enjoyed leafing through this book, but mostly from a writer's point of view. I was
David Leroy
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book about the concepts behind ancient Egyptian Magic. The book was written in 1901, so long before the advent of the new age movement, or discoveries in quantum physics, so none of that stuff influenced the writer. It was very interesting to read about the religious ideas regarding words, names, ceremonies, statues, and the universe.
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting material, but poorly presented. It deals with various aspects of Egyptian misticism, like amulets, protection spells, mumification, afterlife, magical scriptures and so on, but no one who is not already well educated on the subject of Egyptian mythology is not going to profit much from reading presented materials. It is not begginer-friendly, and it obviously should've been.
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old-style and extremely detailed!
Cynthia Teow
It is a very informative and detailed book on Egyptian belief and culture.
Un libro che ha i suoi anni, e nonostante si sentano, risulta ancora leggibile.
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-egypt
So fun. I love the author's description of the multi-part soul.
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading history is a fun past time for me. I enjoy the time travel and nostalgia. to return to a great time in history especially a time as far back as ancient Kemet (the original name of Egypt) is of great interest to me because it is a past dear to my essence being a descendant of such a great people. The title of this book is quite alluring considering what the world already knows about Egypt's past greatness and how even today the land and its monuments are consider magical just to behold, b ...more
Stephen Simpson
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
It's practically mandatory that any review of a book written by Budge has to mention that he was, at best, a questionable scholar, a lot of his theories/writings have been discredited, and so on. That said, he was an accessible writer who wrote on a wide range of subjects regarding Ancient Egypt.

I haven't come across too many books about the Egyptian attitudes and practices regarding magic. This book doesn't go into much detail, but it at least touches on some of the major points. It's a decent
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting historic background on amulets, superstitions, and more. I was particularly interested to learn that so many aspects went into making a person: body, heart, name, ka (twin, soul), shadow, akh (ego), ba, etc.
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchcraft
Describes some of the Egyptian rituals. Most of these are violent and used to gain power over their enemies.

Zoe Forward
A bit convoluted but having read several of E.A. Budge's books this one is by far the easiest to follow. Highly informative.
Dec 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could barely get through this one. Wow was it boring!
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, but I've read from other people into A.E. that this is not an accurate historical account of A.E. I guess that's why it can be found on Amazon for 1.99.
Peter J.
This was interesting, but it tended to echo much from his "The Gods of the Egyptians".
It's just a nice easy read of accounts of the magical practices in Ancient Egypt.
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mar 31, 2008
Apr 19, 2007
It was good, but.... 5 7 Mar 12, 2013 07:38PM
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • The Greek Magical Papyri in Translation, Including the Demotic Spells, Volume 1
  • Water Spirits (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Liber Kaos
  • The History of Magic
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • الطب المصري القديم
  • Liber Aleph Vel CXI: The Book of Wisdom or Folly, in the Form an Epistle of 666, the Great Wild Beast to His Son 777, Being the Equinox, Volume III Number VI
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • The Celtic Book of Living and Dying: The Illustrated Guide to Celtic Wisdom
  • The Pictorial Key to the Tarot
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.
More about E.A. Wallis Budge...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99