Start by marking “Tennis Shoes (Shoes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tennis Shoes (Shoes, #2)

Tennis Shoes

(Shoes #2)

Tennis became important in the Heath Family's life early on - the twins were only nine, and the others younger when they started to play. But their grandfather and father before them had been top players - the four red-headed children had tennis in their blood. They join the competitive tournament circuit and battle hard to win!
Published May 1st 2001 by Jane Nissen Books (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Tennis Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tennis Shoes

Start your review of Tennis Shoes (Shoes, #2)
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, tennis, pressure, money, talent.

I am so glad that as I child I picked up Ballet Shoes and not this, because otherwise I honestly wouldn't have bothered with any of the author's other books. Which is a huge shame, as Ballet Shoes is one of my all time favourite books and I reread it often.

It's still charming and sweet but I expected more.
L.H. Johnson
Streatfeild season comes when you least expect it. For me, it came earlier this week with the sight of Tennis Shoes on a library trolley, and then, as I read it and the evenings started to twist around the end of Summer and things like Yorkshire puddings and joints of beef found their way into the fridge, I realised that it was most definitely Streatfeild season and it was good. It was time for the rich books, the books of tumultous family and bright, hard-working children that don't jib and ...more
Beth
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The writing is, frankly, pretty awful, but Nicky is a gift:
In spite of her triumph, Nicky got into bed feeling cross. There was absolutely nobody to jump about and be pleased with. "Oh well," she thought, tucking in her back, "if nobody else is pleased, I am." She settled down for the night. "Good night, Nicky, dear. Many congratulations."

There are a few other great human moments, too, mostly with Susan and Nicky. This is a slight but very entertaining book.
Katie
Hmm, an interesting one, a Streatfeild about SPORTS, gasp! The pacing didn't quite work and I do think the family treated Nicky rather unfairly at times.

But enjoyable enough overall.
Luisa Knight
Booklovers everywhere have all drooled over the little book shop Kathleen Kelly owned in the delightful movie, You've Got Mail. We've relished the thought of working among such an atmosphere of twinkle lights and children's literature. And what a selection she had too. Whoever was in charge of choosing the books to be highlighted in the movie did a pretty top-notch job! Have you read them all? Notable mentions are The Betsy-Tacy books and The Shoe Series.

"Noel Streatfeild wrote Ballet Shoes and
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only do the lucky kids in this book have red hair, they also possess a natural talent for tennis. Gosh, but I was an envious child!
Rosa
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 30s, kid-s-books
I hate this entire family except for Nicky, and I hope they die.
Lola Smith
Actual rating: 2.5

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield was actually one of the first books to get me into reading, (and I actually read it again this year) and I’m so grateful that I picked that one when I was 9, and not Tennis Shoes. I just found it incredibly boring, and it may just be that I find tennis much less interesting that theatre or pretty much anything else, but it just took me so long to get through because if just felt like I was reading the same page again. All the interesting events
Kristine Hansen
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vintage, kids-sports
The Shoes books absolutely delighted me when I was a child, so revisiting this book again as an adult was a treat. This particular story follows the story of four children who are pushed somewhat into tennis, which they're agreeable enough about. Of course one child (as per the series guidelines) has to excel, though they all discover new things about themselves in the pursuit of the game.

Loved the series, loved the time period and a chance to visit England again during the mid 20th century,
Rachel Slocombe
There are two problems with this book. One is that tennis is incredibly boring. Two is the fact that the family are really snobby and posh and weirdly horrible to each other. Definitely the worst of the Shoes so far.
Sally
A Noel Streatfeild I never read as a child! First time reading it now - I have The Circus is Coming new to read as well, hooray :)

I enjoyed this, but I didn't love it quite as much as her dancing books. Maybe also it's me coming to this fresh as an adult and not reading it with childhood nostalgia too, but I just kept noticing very strongly how much the children were pushed into doing tennis. It was like their father and grandfather decided they would all be fabulous tennis players and that was
M S
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A loved favorite from childhood, as most books by Streatfeild have been. It's a shame that hey books, especially those in the Shoes series are out of print or only available as European imports.
The story itself is for ages 9-11, and would not likely be engaging to older children, or those who dislike sports and tennis. The reader will learn more about growing up in a large English family in the early 20th century, before World War II than about tennis.
Catherine
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bring this back into print. Please! The 'Shoe' pantheon needs a little athleticism to toughen it up. The book wasn't heavy on the tennis, but the author did understand the game. And while Nicky can come across as annoying, I rather liked her. She's practical and blunt, and the way her family treated her at times, I don't blame her for looking out for number one.
Danielle
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved "Ballet Shoes" and "Dancing Shoes" as a child, but found very little enjoyable about this book.
Caroline
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this book not a lot but I was interested by the book. This was not one of Noel Streatfeilds best books but I liked it.
Fi
My least favorite 'Shoe' book despite being about tennis. I think the children in this one aren't particularly likable!
Webcowgirl
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Well researched and with some charming characters but just a bit dry if you don't like tennis.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I'm giving this book 3 stars because it's not Streatfeild's fault I don't like it much. I knew that going in; I care not a rap for tennis (or any other sport). It's great if you want to do it, I'm sure it's excellent exercise, but--really? It's like golf; do it if you want to do it, but the only thing less exciting for me on TV is darts or billiards. But you can't go by me; in my youth I did a very little fencing, but if you have to run to get there, I'm not going.

So I ended up skimming all the
Ravi Singh
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent children's book which many adults too can learn from.

The introduction says this world does not exist anymore in which this story is set: children obey their p[parents, families egg each member on to do well, even make harsh sacrifices, a lorry driver can be trusted to drop a kid off at home, and winning for your country but winning with integrity means much. The characters, especially David and Nicky are very well written and endearing.

So much aspiration and inspiration in this
Tanya
Very sweet story published in 1937 about the Heath family. Dr. Heath and his wife have 4 children, a set of twins and two children; they have a cook and governess/housekeeper. The Grandfather and Father were champion tennis players in their time and the sport of tennis flows in the family's blood; one of the children is quite good at the sport herself! Nice novel about a family going about their ordinary days as the year moves on; the reader follows along with the holidays and seasons. These ...more
Darla
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love the charming style of Noel Streatfeild. This Shoes installment was not as endearing as "Ballet Shoes," but did have its own redeeming properties. The household staff at the Heath home did an admirable job in contributing to the upbringing of the children. I especially loved the things Annie would teach the kids in the kitchen from her circus days. Nikky was a bit difficult to swallow, but she was most certainly a vehicle for teaching about some essential character traits. Looking ...more
Kat!e Larson
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Noel Streatfeild's books are so interesting. They don't really have plots, and it's hard to see a real theme in them -- they're just slice-of-life. But they're compelling and engaging and you can't help but get invested in the characters. This one was kind of hard to read, because I sympathized so deeply with Nicky but she's also kind of a twit. Still, I definitely rooted for her all the way through.
16hampz
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dawn
I have always loved Noel Streatfeild's books -- as a child and as an adult reading them to my daughters. This was not one of my favorites, but I also am not a huge tennis fan. My nine year old daughter really liked it :).
Margaret
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Shoe book, but then I'm not a tennis player nor particular fan. Follows the usual pattern of these books, with one daughter the ''less lovely'' and (apparently) liked of the family.
Annie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was really sweet! I loved how there was a variety of characters and not just 1 person that was focused on.
Roxanne Allsopp
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Geraldine
Disappointed.

This captivated me as a child and led to me spending hours playing tennis against the garage door.

It annoyed me now more than it entertained me.

It's set in Tulse Hill. I know that because Noel Streatfeild keeps telling us. I have just moved away from Brixton Hill, the parallel road to Tulse Hill, the adjoining ward...heck, my telephone exchange was Tulse Hill. But nothing in the book gives any sense of place.

No sense of time, either. I like books that evoke that period, but
Irene
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged girls
Shelves: children
This is the fourth "shoe book" that I've read, and so far it's my least favorite. For me, tennis as the talent du jour just wasn't as exciting or as interesting as the stage talents (dancing, acting, singing) of the other shoe books I've read.

And, dare I say it? Was the book less appealing because the children weren't orphans? In the other books, the children were surrounded by supportive caretakers - Garnie and Nana in Ballet Shoes, Hannah and Alice in Theater Shoes, and Pursey and Mrs. Storm
Boweavil
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another masterpiece from Streatfeild. The description of the life of a child who chooses to become a professional athlete is very different from most kid's books. I remember enjoying this immensely and rereading it more than once.

• The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2)
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4)
  • Jim Elliot: One Great Purpose
  • Miss Violet's Doll's House: Magical Makes for Your Miniature World
  • Cedar Valley
  • Julia Jones' Diary / Horse Mad Girl / Diary of an Almost Cool Girl / Diary of Mr TDH
  • Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Big Nate: What's a Little Noogie Between Friends?
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • The Children of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #1)
  • First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #3)
  • The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #0.5)
  • Kit's Wilderness
  • Ogre Enchanted (Ella Enchanted, #0.5)
  • The Unteachables
Mary Noel Streatfeild, known as Noel Streatfeild, was an author best known and loved for her children's books, including Ballet Shoes and Circus Shoes. She was born on Christmas Eve, 1895, the daughter of William Champion Streatfeild and Janet Venn and the second of six children to be born to the couple. Sister Ruth was the oldest, after Noel came Barbara, William ('Bill'), Joyce (who died of TB ...more

Shoes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Ballet Shoes
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Party Shoes (Shoes, #5)
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7)
  • Family Shoes (Shoes, #8)
  • Dancing Shoes
  • New Shoes (Shoes, #10)
  • Traveling Shoes (Shoes, #11)