Start by marking “If I Had a Dinosaur” as Want to Read:
If I Had a Dinosaur

If I Had a Dinosaur

A little girl dreams of having her very own pet. But what kind of animal would make the best companion? A mouse is too small, a cat is too ordinary, and a fish is too . . . wet! As she plays with her toy dinosaur, inspiration strikes. What about a real, live dinosaur? She could ride it to school. It would need lots of food to eat, a swimming pool to drink from, and a dino ...more
Published February 28th 2017 by Thames Hudson

To ask other readers questions about If I Had a Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Had a Dinosaur

Start your review of If I Had a Dinosaur
Erica
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This kid has a cat but wants something bigger, something much, much bigger...like a dinosaur.

It's a rhyming story and those are rarely appealing to me (this one is no different) because they always seem somewhat forced (unless it's Dr. Seuss) and silly but kids love rhymes and they'll love this one so who cares what I think about the text? No one.

But you should care what I think about the illustrations: They are delightful! Except for when they aren't.
Let me point out the kid in question. If you
molliekay
Aug 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
So no one's going to mention the horrendously stereotypical Asian children?! It's 2017 for crying out loud.
Romanticamente Fantasy
Un albo illustrato coloratissimo e divertentissimo, che ha come protagonista un bambino che vuole un animale domestico un po diverso dal solito Un dinosauro!!

Il testo è in rima, così è facile sia per i bambini sia per chi legge, dare un ritmo incalzante alla storia; anche i disegni sono molto belli, ricchi di particolari da scoprire e commentare insieme al proprio bimbo.

Un racconto che celebra la fantasia, soprattutto per quei bambini che amano i dinosauri!

Lo consiglio vivamente a tutti, è un
Amy!
Aug 01, 2017 marked it as picture-books
Cute! I really enjoy these "if I had a [blank]" books, and I ESPECIALLY like that my top three (this one, If I Had a Raptor, and If I Had a Gryphon) have little girls of color dreaming of non-traditional pets.
Mathilde / Ikvindlezenleuk
Lees mijn recensie op Ikvindlezenleuk: Dit is een leuk verhaal voor kinderen vanaf 4 jaar die van dinosaurussen houden
Erika L.
Nov 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Okay, publishers... let's change the illustrations for the Asian characters, please, because green skin and closed eyes are not okay. This is sad. I actually really liked the rhymes and the story, and it was fun to read out loud to the toddlers. Unfortunately, I did not see the horrible representation of the Asian children until after storytime while getting ready to write this review. It is VERY easy to miss the first time reading it. This is one that I will NOT do again, and it is a good ...more
Ruby Khan
Taking inspiration from one of David Attenborough's BBC documentaries, Dawnay uses rhyme, humour and the excitement of having a very strange pet to create this picturebook. It has numerous opportunities to use books as a feature of cross-curricular learning, for example for KS1 and KS2 science, rhyme in English and maths through the comparison of dinosaurs to measurements. Furthermore, what I especially liked was the incorporation of the protagonist as a BAME character, interestingly in a ...more
Rachel
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book was so fun! Educational but silly, this is the perfect book to read with a child that is starting to attach words with images. Many of the words are substituted for images, which makes for a very engaging reading experience with a little one.
BrookesEducationLibrary
This is a great story to read-aloud, I'm a huge fan of rhyming stories and this one really tickles us :)
Do dinosaurs make for great pets? Find out!
Rebekah
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What child doesn't love dinosaurs? The rhyme in this book makes it a nice flowing read and the simple illustrations add to the enjoyment. Young kids would definitely enjoy this.
Robin
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Predictable but adorable.
Kid Lit Reviews
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A young girl dreams of having her own pet. She wonders what animal would be best for her. Of the three most common pets, she likes dogs, has a cat, and a fish is simply too wet! The girl, still in pajamas, bounces on her bedwhere a toy green dinosaur sitsand finally decides, she wants a pet much bigger, more the size of, well, A HOUSE!

If I Had a Dinosaur celebrates childhood and childrens imaginations and creativity. The young girls green dinosaur toy, small enough to fit in her hand, becomes a
Baby Bookworm
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is If I Had A Dinosaur by Alex Barrow & Gabby Dawnay, an absolutely adorable tale of a little girls dream pet.

Dogs are nice, she already has a cat, but the girl who narrates the story is looking for a different kind of pet. Not a hamster or a mouse no something BIGGER. A dinosaur would do (a Titanosaurus perhaps, based on the nonfiction prologue). She could
Destinee Sutton
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
As another reviewer pointed out, this book is great except for the three small illustrations of Asian children that are unsettling. The other children in this book are brown, tan, peach, i.e. realistic colors. The Asian children are a greenish yellowish color that looks out of place. Their eyes are slanted lines while the other children's eyes are circles. It's jarring.

In online images, the color of the Asian children seems less offensively yellow than it does in the printed book in front of me.
Mehsi
I read this book in Dutch, but will be writing a review in English.

Who doesn't want a dinosaur as a pet? I know I wanted one when I was a kid, and as the age I am now? Still want one! :P

This little kid also wants a dinosaur after going through a list of other pets that just weren't good enough. Cats, nah. Dogs? Nah. Hamsters? Nah.

Her choice of dinosaur? A brontosaurus! Yep, this girl wants a dinosaur/pet as big as a house! Which made it even funnier that it still fitted in the living room on
Khansa Baig
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A little girl wishes ever so desperately that she could have a pet, but she's unsure about what kind of pet she would like. A mouse is too small, a cat is too ordinary, and a fish too wet. While playing with her her toy dinosaur, inspiration strikes. What if she could be the owner of a real-life dinosaur? She then day dreams about all the things she could do with her pet dinosaur.

Gabby Dawnay's rhyming text and Alex Barrow's simple yet evocative illustrations combine beautifully. The book
Brittany Thurman
Feb 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was going to give this book at least three stars. I liked (not loved) the rhyming story, but I thought it would make a cute future storytime read. I happened to check the goodreads reviews after I read the story, and someone mentioned the illustrations for the Asian characters. The characters are depicted with slanted closed eyes and green skin.
I'm disturbed and appalled these types of images are being depicted. There's no excuse.
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A frequently requested nighttime read by my 3 year old, whos going through a bit of a dinosaur phase at the moment. He giggles his way through the pages and always wants to know which dinosaur on the last page was the one responsible for the big surprise (no spoilers) earlier in the story. Quite a fun read overall. ...more
Trisha Parsons
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
This book has a lot of opportunities for dialogic reading as the first page opens up with a few pictures in place of words to further engage the kids in the story, and it provides opportunity to engage in the imagination as you can wonder what it'd be like to have a dino for a pet. There is a page toward the end with a BIG poop, and my younger 2 group thought it was ice cream :D
Sarah Newman
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-sh, hardcopy, own
4.5 stars. My toddler and I love this book. Some of the cadences are slightly off, but the illustrations and representation (a girl of colour who loves dinosaurs!) make up for it.

I was really surprised to come to GoodReads and see the negative ratings, and was horrified that I hadn't noticed the racist illustrations, but it appears my copy has been updated - thank goodness!
Erin
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
simple and bold pictures, good for toddler or preschool storytime, decent vocabulary, ok fir k and 1st grade for writing assignments (what would YOU do if YOU had a dinosaur...), fun, diverse (dad and child appear black, mom is brown)
Emily Carlyn
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Love this! Full of rhymes. Can be used to elicit a discussion on what the children would do if THEY had a dinosaur as a pet. There is a page spread at the end where they could choose which dinosaur they want also.
Susan
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a really cute story, and I love that the main character who wants a dinosaur is a girl - and a girl of color no less. However, there is a little boy in the book who is Asian and has green skin. Even worse, he has slanted eyes. Maybe the illustrator can redo the book.
Heather Szczepanski
May 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book. I liked the diversity until I saw the illustrations of the Asian children. Im disappointed to say the least. ...more
Rogue Male
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7/10
Stephanie
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The storyline was good. I like that the book was sturdy with thick pages. The book was easy enough for beginner readers but there were some challenging words.
Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen)
Simple art, cute story in rhyme, and a hilarious cat as a side character. Its just okay.

Shame that the asian kid is painted yellow. Literal yellow. Other than that, the diversity is great.
Casandria
A cute young girl imagines having a dinosaur for a pet.
This might be good for camp read--pictures as words.
Meghan Hunt
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book would be fun to use in a preschool storytime about dinosaurs or pets.
Alex Haehn
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This will make a great story time book or a read along with me book. I love the rhyming of the sentences and the way they are written on the pages. The drawings are adorable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Way Home For Wolf
  • There Are No Bears in This Bakery
  • This Moose Belongs to Me
  • I Am Bat
  • Petra
  • Hello Hello
  • The Red Tree
  • Lost and Found (The Boy, #2)
  • Under The Same Sky