Start by marking “Heart of the Winterland” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Heart of the Winterland

In the heart of snow-cursed Trabor, a princess and her guardian live in a haze cast by an ancient spell. On the dawn of her 200th birthday, Princess Calisandra awakes with a clear mind. No longer happy to just sit idle, Cali and Voice set out to find what lies beyond their shielded kingdom.

Joined by Angel—a fiery redhead that delights in ruffling Cali's feathers—they soon
Published June 2nd 2016 by Creekside Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heart of the Winterland, please sign up.
Kristen Kooistra It's an original fantasy. I'm not sure if it falls into the fairy tale category, though personally I feel that it does have a fairy tale feel to it.
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasHarry Potter and the Cursed Child by John TiffanyCrooked Kingdom by Leigh BardugoLady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2016
1,571 books — 2,686 voters
This Savage Song by Victoria SchwabAnd I Darken by Kiersten WhiteThe Geek's Guide to Unrequited Love by Sarvenaz TashRisuko by David KudlerMy Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand
June 2016 Releases
66 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Heart of the Winterland
Katelyn Barbee
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you’re looking for an excellent fairytale-esque adventure, look no further than Kristen Kooistra’s Heart of the Winterland.

When the spell on Cali, the princess of the long lost kingdom of Trabor, breaks after two hundred years, she decides to get a taste of the world outside her kingdom. She travels with Voice, an orb that has been Cali’s guardian and only companion during their years in the castle, and the two quickly stumble upon adventure.

Without going a great deal into the plot, one of
Heather Hayden
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heart of the Winterland is a fantasy novel full of powerful female characters, enchanting scenery, and--most importantly--friendship, and love.

I should note before I go further that I do know Kristen, but this review was by no means solicited--I had Heart of the Winterland on preorder long before its release date because of how intriguing the plot synopsis was, and was downloading and reading it practically at midnight. It was well-worth the wait.

Heart of the Winterland tells the story of Cali,
Lesa McKee
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heart of the Winterland read like the best of fairytales. A journey of the heart, so appropriately titled. This book is two stories in one as it follows not only Cali's adventure, but that of another! Shh ... it's a secret.

I found Cali so delightful as she pushed forward in life, ever struggling, but always ready to learn something new. Her character was admirable, her spirit, gaining strength, and her heart, pure as the driven snow like on the book's fantastical cover.

Krisna M. Starr
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A fantastic story with gripping characters

Wow! I just finished reading Winterland and am already itching to read the next book. I loved everything about this novel - the story, the characters, the plot twists and the amazing way Ms. Kooistra has weaved the back-story with the present.

Heart of the Winterland takes us through a magical journey with Princess Cali who wakes up after 200 years with new emotions that bombard her senses as the dampening spell cast upon her weakens. She leaves her home
Allie May
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars

This book is a phenomenal read. The characters are interesting and the story is intriguing. The book ended and there was still so much more I wanted to know. Now I just need to wait for the sequel.

I loved Cali's character development, and I wish there was more at the end, but alas it is what it is. However, reading her story was wonderful and it was great to see such a contrast to the typical princess fairy tale.

Amee's story was my favorite part of the book. Her character felt so much
Corinne Morier
Cali is the princess of Trabor, all alone in a snowbound country except for her companion, Voice, a glowing orb compelled by magic to care for her. She has spent 200 years living in the castle, never questioning why she is all alone, but on her 200th birthday, something changes within her, and she sets out on an adventure to see the world, finding much more than she originally bargained for.

Along the way, she meets Angel, a young woman with a mysterious past who is running from authorities, and
Elise Edmonds
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fantasy
This book is a fun mixture of coming-of-age adventure and fairytale. There are two intertwined storylines: Cali makes her journey of discovery through the world, whilst learning about her past and the history of her country from Voice, her guardian. The history tells of mysterious sorceress, Amee and her desire for revenge fueled by strong magic.

My favourite character in the novel is Amee. Despite being decidedly evil, she’s very relatable and great fun to read. I also love the diverse cast of c
Valicity Garris
*I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

This was a long book, not excruciatingly long—especially not for a fantasy novel—but it was definitely a lengthy read for me. That isn’t necessarily a complaint but more of a warning to other readers who might be looking for something quick to get through.

Heart of the Winterland is a fairly new novel but it reads like an old school fairytale and that’s one of its strengths. I liked the way the story flowed and thought the sty
Shannon McDermott
Princess Calisandra is two hundred years old, and you would never know it, because she still possesses the body, mind, experiences, and maturity of a very young woman. That is what happens when you pass your whole life in a kingdom locked by magic into winter, timelessness, and an inescapable sameness. But finally something is giving, either in Cali or in the magic, because after two hundred years of accepting every day just like the last, she is growing restless. She is about to rebel.

She is ab
Julie Powell
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The great writing style brought real life into this fantasy, one that follows more than one journey, both physically and emotionally.

There are several great characters in this story, each with a shroud of mystery, each intriguing and interesting. Themes such as loneliness, betrayal, grief, relationships, love, difference and magic deepen the plot, as well as developing the lead characters.

Beautiful descriptions paint very real pictures of the lands...especially Cali's home for two hundred years.
Victorea Meadow
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it
A few things were left unanswered but still enjoyable
Toni Owen-Blue
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Heart of Winterland, a story ostensibly following the lives of four fantasy women in their fantasy world. I say ostensibly because I can’t figure out who main four are intended to be, since everyone who’s not a bit part gets their very own flashbacks. So I can figure out who the main two are, but the other two are just my best guess.

Anyway, Heart of Winterland is really two stories. The first is the story of Princess Calisandra and her light orb guardian “Voice”, as, after two hundred years of s
Phil Kooistra
Kohner
Jul 12, 2016
Cassia
Jul 13, 2016
Kristen Kooistra fell in love with reading at a young age and never resurfaced. She loved solving mysteries, riding across the prairie, and sailing on the open sea. But her favorite books were those that held the fantastical. So when the time came for her to seriously approach publishing a book, it had to be fantasy!

"Heart of the Winterland" is Kristen's first novel, and though it started as a whi